Poison Monotype run of Reborn (Latest Defeated Leader: Amaria)

Jess

14 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

What kind of drawback there should be for using Magical Seed in your opinion?

Maybe render the user unable of using status moves for the rest of the battle. Not give them the opportunity to set for free field boosted (+3) Swords Dance (Excadrill/Aegislash) or Sandstorm (Sand Rush Excadrill).

Or, if it allowed status moves, nullify Field's boosts to the 'mon that used it from that moment on. Let Fire hit it super-effectively, Sacred Sword be Fighting type only, etc.

Just two things I came up with just now. Aegislash is too busted right now in that field... Gaining + fucking 5 in attack AND priority STAB before you get the chance to touch it is OP.

I don't remember which seed it was (Telluric, I think) but for instance both Rocky Field and Mountain Top also have drawbacks: the former applies Stealth Rock damage and the latter lowers Accuracy in addition to boosting Attack.

I have no clue which Fields activate which Seeds, I think we should check all of them and write down the effects! We also need the Field notes updated with seed interactions in my opinion... (Edit: Just checked, and Field notes include the seed interactions! I've got some homework to do during my Normal mono)

Made it all the more odd at first, but knowing you, you prefer to do things what one could consider "the hard way". Makes it more rewarding in the end, though.

I'm a bit weird, yes! Liking the underrating 'mons, disliking the obvious, powerful ones, not doing the most simple things (well, apart from (nearly) sweeping Luna with Moxie Heracross and Samson with Acrobatics Crobat)!

I enjoyed the battles though! :) 

I'll probably upload my important battles in my Normal mono too. I aim to do a mono of every type, but goal is quite far still! 2/18 done though... :) 

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veterans

I'd accidentally already stumbled on those videos before as you'd uploaded them to your channel already, so congratulations! I've already mentioned the Toxicroak thing so here's a few more alternative ideas or general thoughts;

- If you used an Elemental Seed Amoonguss or Venusaur, you could've stalled out practically her entire team. Venusaur lays down Leech Seed and Toxic and just Giga Drain away while it regains incredible amounts of HP from Aqua Ring and Leech Seed on top of Giga Drain(Elemental Seed on Water Surface raises SPDef and gives the user Aqua Ring; it practically turns Venusaur immortal against her.)

- Why not have Tailwind on Crobat over Cross Poison? You're running a Poison Mono so the extra poison coverage doesn't provide much, whereas Tailwind is amazing utility for your slower, yet hard hitting Pokemon such as Nidoking and Drapion.

- Are you planning on picking up a Gengar? I know you don't particularly lean towards more Popular Pokemon, but Gengar brings quite a few niches what with it's advantage against Psychic types, fast Destiny Bond, surprisingly clutch Cursed Body ability(even if it's not levitate, this ability is VERY handy.) and what with you running a Poison Mono, you've got easy access to toxic spikes, to even give it reliable poison STAB in Venoshock.

14 hours ago, Azeria said:

I'd accidentally already stumbled on those videos before as you'd uploaded them to your channel already, so congratulations!

Thanks a lot Azery! :D That's why I mostly keep my vids private until my topic here catches up, dunno how these slipped this time though! xD

- If you used an Elemental Seed Amoonguss or Venusaur, you could've stalled out practically her entire team. Venusaur lays down Leech Seed and Toxic and just Giga Drain away while it regains incredible amounts of HP from Aqua Ring and Leech Seed on top of Giga Drain(Elemental Seed on Water Surface raises SPDef and gives the user Aqua Ring; it practically turns Venusaur immortal against her.)

That's a good idea I hadn't thought of! My alternative for double would be to give Venusaur an Air Balloon and use it in combination with Crobat setting up Sunny Day. Chlorophyll and Petal Blizzard of my Physical Venusaur would destroy Amaria in Doubles.

- Why not have Tailwind on Crobat over Cross Poison? You're running a Poison Mono so the extra poison coverage doesn't provide much, whereas Tailwind is amazing utility for your slower, yet hard hitting Pokemon such as Nidoking and Drapion.

I generally save the last moveslot on my Crobat for utility moves. Rain Dance saved my life in the horrible battles vs Charlotte. Sunny Day would probably be good here. Tailwind is another great utility move (used it a lot with my Butterfree in my Bug monotype if you've read my progress there-pretty much defeated Cal only thanks to that and Masquerain's Hydro Pump). But I'd keep Cross Poison and replace Fly. I like having both STABs, even though Cross Poison is kinda underwhelming on Crobat sometimes.

Defog would be nice to have too in general, but Poison types aren't awfully weak to Stealth Rock, plus it is not used that much by Reborn leaders (bar Noel and maybe Terra and Hardy in the future(?).

- Are you planning on picking up a Gengar? I know you don't particularly lean towards more Popular Pokemon, but Gengar brings quite a few niches what with it's advantage against Psychic types, fast Destiny Bond, surprisingly clutch Cursed Body ability(even if it's not levitate, this ability is VERY handy.) and what with you running a Poison Mono, you've got easy access to toxic spikes, to even give it reliable poison STAB in Venoshock.

I have a Gastly, a friend (@Revan) who was also doing a Poison monorun traded one to me ages ago, but haven't trained her up... I will probably do in the future though, since I don't really like my chances at battling Anna having only Drapion and/or Skuntank to counter her Psychic types... Sadly, my Dragalge was traded in to me as well so it doesn't know Toxic Spikes, but Drapion can learn it! And yes, Gengar Venoshock vs Poisoned foes does ridiculous damage...

I also want to train up a Toxapex. That thing is a beast.

15 hours ago, Jess said:

I've got some homework to do during my Normal mono

Wait, will you be doing a normal mono soon? That's so cool, I dislike normal type in general but I think it has some very cool mons that usually get overlooked, so I'll be really looking forward to it.

3 minutes ago, walpurgis said:

Wait, will you be doing a normal mono soon? That's so cool, I dislike normal type in general but I think it has some very cool mons that usually get overlooked, so I'll be really looking forward to it.

Since Normal is one of my favourite types (together with Bug, Poison, Grass and Ice), I hope to make you like it a bit more! :) 

I'm doing it mostly because I haven't used Deerling in ages and I've missed it so much :( So, I'll trade in a shiny one I caught in my Bug monorun and use it as my starter!

4 minutes ago, Jess said:

Since Normal is one of my favourite types (together with Bug, Poison, Grass and Ice), I hope to make you like it a bit more! :) 

I'm doing it mostly because I haven't used Deerling in ages and I've missed it so much :( So, I'll trade in a shiny one I caught in my Bug monorun and use it as my starter!

Normal has good availability right off the bat, so you're definitely going to enjoy that run.

2 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

Normal has good availability right off the bat, so you're definitely going to enjoy that run.

Now that you mention it, it's a common thing of my monoruns. Bugs, Poison, Normal types are all abundant early on. 

10 minutes ago, Jess said:

My problem with normal is more that it just feels like a miscellaneous type where they put anything that doesn't fit in other types more than being its own type (I mean, what do porygon, kecleon and linoone have in common?), so I doubt a bit that you can change how I see it as a type, but I'm open. 

2 minutes ago, walpurgis said:

My problem with normal is more that it just feels like a miscelaneous type where they put anything that doesn't fit in other types more than being its own type (I mean, what do porygon, kecleon and linoone have in common?), so I doubt a bit that you can change how I see it as a type, but I'm open. 

I consider Normals as 'mons you'd mostly find free in their natural habitat in various areas, based on many different kind of animals. It's kind of a real-life zoo in the world of pokemon! Got deers, lions, lizards, urangutans, giraffes, birds, beavers and various rodents, cats, dogs, kangaroos, chimpanzees, bears, cows and chameleons. 

I'd say that the only one out of space is Porygon, since a Psychic typing would fit more, to be honest. And Ditto. And Castform too, but that's an other discussion (I love Castform). Type-Null is in same category too, making me think that we have:

NORMAL= zoo IRL + artificial pokemon (?)

10 hours ago, Jess said:

I consider Normals as 'mons you'd mostly find free in their natural habitat in various areas, based on many different kind of animals. It's kind of a real-life zoo in the world of pokemon! Got deers, lions, lizards, urangutans, giraffes, birds, beavers and various rodents, cats, dogs, kangaroos, chimpanzees, bears, cows and chameleons. 

I'd say that the only one out of space is Porygon, since a Psychic typing would fit more, to be honest. And Ditto. And Castform too, but that's an other discussion (I love Castform). Type-Null is in same category too, making me think that we have:

NORMAL= zoo IRL + artificial pokemon (?)

Porygon- I agree that the normal type doesn't make sense. As you said psychic would make more sense.

Dito- I think it should also be psychic cause with the theory that its a failed clone of mew it would make sense for them to match typing as well. But that one doesn't matter so much cause of the fact that it rarely stays a dito for long.

Castform- works cause as its normal base with regular clear weather its normal and then it changes based of the weather.

Type-Null (and kinda silvally)- its normal cause its the not fully formed silvally that is normal in the same way arceus is normal cause thats its base and it gains something from there.

Thats just my take on the normal mons that are artificial and may or may not make sense to be normal type.