Poison Monotype run of Reborn (Latest Defeated Leader: Amaria)

Jess

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

Nice fight vs Radomus. I tried myself at a poison mono-run ones and well, it stopped once I got to Radomus. Never beat him once xD

Thanks! :) 

Awww, I'm sorry to hear. It's very important to not let Radomus set Trick Room from the beginning of the fight. And you absolutely NEED the two Poison/Dark type Pokemon available to have a chance against him. And a couple Sucker Punching 'mons help as well.

Give it another try! It is absolutely doable! Charlotte couldn't defeat me once in my Bug monotype (took her down with only 3 'mons, Crustle, Vivillon and a level 1 Paras, which survived the entire fight), after that, no weakness scares me! ;) 

Edited by Jess

That shiny Dragalge looks absolutely gorgeous! And once again, Roserade... You didn't get lucky with the flinching from Extrasensory either

The thing with Radomus is that both Reuniclus and Slowking always use Trick Room and they both have Amplified rock as their held item, so that makes it last 8 turns if I'm not mistaken. Shutting them down immediately is key when you're doing a poison mono, so well done :D 

And Drapion, man I love Drapion! He has served me well in my past run

Also, if you ever feel the need of adding a mon that suits the name, Kratos is a cool name :)  

22 minutes ago, Jess said:

Thanks! :) 

Awww, I'm sorry to hear. It's very important to not let Radomus set Trick Room from the beginning of the fight. And you absolutely NEED the two Poison/Dark type Pokemon available to have a chance against him. And a couple Sucker Punching 'mons help as well.

Give it another try! It is absolutely doable! Charlotte couldn't defeat me once in my Bug monotype (took her down with only 3 'mons, Crustle, Vivillon and a level 1 Paras, which survived the entire fight), after that, no weakness scares me! ;) 

Sadly I don't have the safe file for that mono run any more :( But I don't think I would have a problem now, it was my very first try at mono run and I didn't really know what I was doing. Would have never tried to use Sucker Punch or care about Trick Room etc. Stupid me only knew how to try and hit harder and harder :D 

Maybe I'll do a poison mono-run later. Currently doing a flying-type.

13 minutes ago, HongaarseBeer said:

That shiny Dragalge looks absolutely gorgeous! And once again, Roserade... You didn't get lucky with the flinching from Extrasensory either

The thing with Radomus is that both Reuniclus and Slowking always use Trick Room and they both have Amplified rock as their held item, so that makes it last 8 turns if I'm not mistaken. Shutting them down immediately is key when you're doing a poison mono, so well done :D 

And Drapion, man I love Drapion! He has served me well in my past run

Also, if you ever feel the need of adding a mon that suits the name, Kratos is a cool name :)  

Yes, Oceanus, my Dragalge tanked an Extrasensory from Roserade and then OHKO'ed it, and then a Dragon Pulse from Serperior and also OHKO'ed it! 2 Super effective moves! Absolute beast in Special Defense, and Adaptability makes it hit sooo hard! One of my favourite pokemon too, amazing design.

Yes, I derped a bit after Slowking set the Trick Room, I should've Rage Powder'ed with Amoonguss, because a Moonblast from Gardevoir would probably take down my Drapion. But Radomus derped too and Moonblasted my Amoonguss xD

And he didn't even bother trying to Scald Drapion with Slowking, but used Trick Room for 2nd turn in a row. I was like "Huh? Why set it to unset it next turn?"

Drapion is also great! Had never used one and I'm glad I got the chance to do so!

Finally, thanks for the name suggestion :) 

16 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

Sadly I don't have the safe file for that mono run any more :( But I don't think I would have a problem now, it was my very first try at mono run and I didn't really know what I was doing. Would have never tried to use Sucker Punch or care about Trick Room etc. Stupid me only knew how to try and hit harder and harder :D 

Maybe I'll do a poison mono-run later. Currently doing a flying-type.

Ah, Flying type is nice, and Electric Gym is early, so the tough part is gone! xD Good luck with that! And be careful vs Sigmund and Arclight, even though you have plenty of counters till then! (Ahem, Charizard, Hawlucha, Noivern and Gligar...)

3 minutes ago, Jess said:

Ah, Flying type is nice, and Electric Gym is early, so the tough part is gone! xD Good luck with that! And be careful vs Sigmund and Arclight, even though you have plenty of counters till then! (Ahem, Charizard, Hawlucha, Noivern and Gligar...)

Tough part... yeah, no. With thanks to Dragonrage Julia is no tough part I'd say. I'll see about that though, I grinded an hour and a half to get a femal Combee today :D Tomorrow I'll see how good Vespiquen and Charmeleon can keep up with the gym. 

4 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

Tough part... yeah, no. With thanks to Dragonrage Julia is no tough part I'd say. I'll see about that though, I grinded an hour and a half to get a femal Combee today :D Tomorrow I'll see how good Vespiquen and Charmeleon can keep up with the gym. 

Vespiquen vs Julia? It evolves at level 21, and you only have 1 Common Candy pre-Julia... It will probably become overlevelled in no-time. I don't think Vespiquen can tank more than a couple Electric type attacks this early on though... Maybe it will be useful to heal up Charmeleon though :) 

As for the Dragon Rage, it is OP this early on. Why I said that the "tough part" is gone! Because it probably can oneshot everything apart from Electrode, whereas, if Julia was a mid/late game Gym Leader, you'd genuinely be in A LOT of trouble!

Edited by Jess

Just now, Jess said:

Vespiquen vs Julia? It evolves at level 21, and you only have 1 Cmmon Candy pre-Julia... It will probably become overlevelled in no-time. I don't think Vespiquen can tank more than a couple Electric type attacks this early on though... Maybe it will be useful to heal up Charmeleon though :) 

As for the Dragon Rage, it is OP this early on. Why I said that the "tough part" is gone! Because it probably can oneshot everything apart from Electrode, whereas, if Julia was a mid/late game Gym Leader, you'd genuinely be in A LOT of trouble!

Uhm... there are more than just 1 Common Candy. One can buy Common Candys in the Grand Hall and I'm pretty sure that I find at least 2 or 3 Common Candys pre-Julia. I want to use Vespiquen to take care of Emolga with Power Gem, because I'm pretty sure Emolga outspeeds my Charmeleon.

Thats true. Though I don't think it really matters if Julia is mid/late game or not. Afterall we got - like you mentionend - a jerk like Sigmund and our friend Arclight, who pack enough electro-types for the mid- and late-game.

6 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

Uhm... there are more than just 1 Common Candy. One can buy Common Candys in the Grand Hall and I'm pretty sure that I find at least 2 or 3 Common Candys pre-Julia. I want to use Vespiquen to take care of Emolga with Power Gem, because I'm pretty sure Emolga outspeeds my Charmeleon.

Thats true. Though I don't think it really matters if Julia is mid/late game or not. Afterall we got - like you mentionend - a jerk like Sigmund and our friend Arclight, who pack enough electro-types for the mid- and late-game.

Nope. You can only buy Potions, Antidotes and Poke Balls in the Grand Hall. Common Candies are accessible in Sweet Co., in Obsidia, after defeating Julia. Also, Vespiquen learns Power Gem at level 25! How on Earth are you grinding up to that level with the wild mons being only at like 7 maximum? :o 

Edited by Jess

Just now, Jess said:

Nope. You can only buy Potions, Antidotes and Poke Balls in the Grand Hall. Common Candies are accessible in Sweet Co., in Obsidia, after defeating Julia. Also, Vespiquen learns Power Gem at level 25! How onEarth are you grinding up to that level with the wild mons being only at like 7 maximum? :o 

Yes, we can! There is a guy standing BEFORE the shop, he sells Common Candys. Also Vespiquen learns Power Gem at level 21 in Gen 6 and afaik Reborn uses Gen 6 moves atm. And aren't the wild mons up to level... 15-17 or something? In the upper alley they go at least to level 13 and Headbutt trees drop mons up to lvl 17. Also I think after the factory the first Trainer shows up in the Grand Hall with mons roughly lvl 13.

3 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

Yes, we can! There is a guy standing BEFORE the shop, he sells Common Candys. Also Vespiquen learns Power Gem at level 21 in Gen 6 and afaik Reborn uses Gen 6 moves atm. And aren't the wild mons up to level... 15-17 or something? In the upper alley they go at least to level 13 and Headbutt trees drop mons up to lvl 17. Also I think after the factory the first Trainer shows up in the Grand Hall with mons roughly lvl 13.

Ohhhh, him! Duh, I forgot about him, you're right. Never realised why not just give them to the Mart seller. But nope about Vespiquen. I did a Bug mono, and she learns Power Gem at level 25 (in both gens VI and VII). Check it here too, if you don't believe it. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Vespiquen_(Pokémon)/Generation_VI_learnset#By_leveling_up

So, good luck grinding up to 25 :P. Even with mons of level 15, it is gonna take a while.

Edited by Jess

1 minute ago, Jess said:

Ohhhh, him! Duh, I forgot about him, you're right. Never realised why not just give them to the Mart seller. But nope about Vespiquen. I did a Bug mono, and she learns Power Gem at level 25. Check it here too, if you don't believe it. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Vespiquen_(Pokémon)/Generation_VI_learnset#By_leveling_up

So, good luck grinding up to 25 :P. Even with mons of level 15, it is gonna take a while.

WHAAAAAAAT?! Then the german Pokewiki that I'm using is faulty :( It says Vespiqen learns Power Gem at 21. Urgh... that is kinda annoying. Ah, whatever. Charmeleon will carry us even without wings xD

Just now, RhythmMelody said:

WHAAAAAAAT?! Then the german Pokewiki that I'm using is faulty :( It says Vespiqen learns Power Gem at 21. Urgh... that is kinda annoying. Ah, whatever. Charmeleon will carry us even without wings xD

Bulbapedia and only Bulbapedia FTW. Plus, never trust German things, they're like VolksWagen. Tweaking numbers :P 

Just now, Jess said:

Bulbapedia and only Bulbapedia FTW. Plus, never trust German things, they're like VolksWagen. Tweaking numbers :P 

B-but! But! Butt? Uhh... I like the design from Bisafans more :D And as much as I'd love to contradict, that joke was too good xD Though I don't tweak numbers myself. That often. ^^

2 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

B-but! But! Butt? Uhh... I like the design from Bisafans more :D And as much as I'd love to contradict, that joke was too good xD Though I don't tweak numbers myself. That often. ^^

Well, I also doubt you can find pre-Julia wild mons of a level higher than Julia's which is 12-13 (and 15 for Electrode) as well. This would make the game unbalanced. I insist that the max level you will find is something around level 10 tops, even from Headbutt trees. And I remember because in my first playthrough I actually had to level up my shiny Poochyena to 18, so that it evolves, only by killing Woobats, because it was the fastest, and most EV-worthy way of doing it.

If you find a single one of level 15-17 I'll admit I'm wrong, but I am not :P 

Just now, Jess said:

Well, I also doubt you can find pre-Julia wild mons of a level higher than Julia's which is 12-13 (and 15 for Electrode) as well. This would make the game unbalanced. I insist that the max level you will find is something around level 10 tops, even from Headbutt trees. And I remember because in my first playthrough I actually had to level up my shiny Poochyena to 18, so that it evolves, only by killing Woobats, because it was the fastest, and most EV-worthy way of doing it.

If you find a single one of level 15-17 I'll admit I'm wrong, but I am not :P 

I'm pretty much 100% sure that I fought lvl 15-17 Combees, since I grinded at those stupid trees for 1.5hrs :P and in the northern alley the mons go up to lvl 13 in Lower Peridot (?). 

combee10.jpg

quickly ran to the trees before the Grand Hall and headbutted a bit. AND FFS THE VERY FIRST POKEMON I SAW WAS A FEMALE COMBEE AND I FUCKING GRINDED 1.5 HOURS FOR THAT PIECE OF CRAP BEFORE >__<"

I'm pretty much 100% sure that I fought lvl 15-17 Combees, since I grinded at those stupid trees for 1.5hrs :P and in the northern alley the mons go up to lvl 13 in Lower Peridot (?). 

combee10.jpg

quickly ran to the trees before the Grand Hall and headbutted a bit. AND FFS THE VERY FIRST POKEMON I SAW WAS A FEMALE COMBEE AND I FUCKING GRINDED 1.5 HOURS FOR THAT PIECE OF CRAP BEFORE >__<"

:o And why the hell was I struggling with Woobats? :D 

1 minute ago, RhythmMelody said:

Because not everybody can be as gifted and talented and lucky and good looking as I? :P 

Talented in looking up in unreliable sources, true :P 

Maybe it's because, even by killing it at level 17, a Combee (and other unevolved pokemon) still gives pitiful EXP, so it doesn't make grinding any easier.

Just now, Jess said:

Talented in looking up in unreliable sources, true :P 

Maybe it's because, even by killing it at level 17, a Combee (and other unevolved pokemon) still gives pitiful EXP, so it doesn't make grinding any easier.

Pffff. Till now it was very reliable, thank you very much. Maybe you edited bulpedia just so you could make me be wrong? xD

That certainly is true. Also the mons range from lvl 5 to lvl 17, which is why I prefer to grind EXP either against the Trainer in the Grand Hall or in the nothern alley.

Pffff. Till now it was very reliable, thank you very much. Maybe you edited bulpedia just so you could make me be wrong? xD

That certainly is true. Also the mons range from lvl 5 to lvl 17, which is why I prefer to grind EXP either against the Trainer in the Grand Hall or in the nothern alley.

I always edit Bulbapedia in my free time, it is one of my many hobbies! xD

I am mostly impatient and hate grinding, so I always face Julia with level 12-15 mons. Grinding up Poochyena was necessary, because it was the first run I did and Julia had absolutely DESTROYED me! I was young and innocent back then :D 

Just now, Jess said:

I always edit Bulbapedia in my free time, it is one of my many hobbies! xD

I am mostly impatient and hate grinding, so I always face Julia with level 12-15 mons. Grinding up Poochyena was necessary, because it was the first run I did and Julia had absolutely DESTROYED me! I was young and innocent back then :D 

I'm often only going against Julia with 1 or 2 mons, so naturally I don't have to grind that much. Mostly just Trubbish for Toxic Spikes.

So you aren't young and innocent anymore? :D

Just now, St0mpa said:

that is my grinding spot and the levels are 9-15 100% I have grinded that place for hours (over several runs)

Right you are, dear sir.

3 minutes ago, RhythmMelody said:

So you aren't young and innocent anymore? :D

After 2 monotypes (one of which Bug) with a limited/no-healing item clause? Nope, I am not innocent anymore :P 

Edited by Jess