So, you wanna play Pokemon Reborn...

Timber Dragon

As there are more than enough Pokemon who are usefull against Julia you could remove the event and put in a much later part of the game. Also make it so you have to find the guy who steals it more than once and everytime you find him you have to give him more money than the last time.

I second this. I like getting a Magikarp out of the event since it is clearly intended both to pay homage to the Route 4 Pokemon Center Magicarp Salesman in Gen I/III and to show how corrupt Reborn is compared to the regions in the official games . . .

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the initial quest could be stretched out into a "find the thief" ordeal as you go from town to town asking NPCs about the whereabouts of the guy who conned you until you get to the nth town and finally find the guy.

Gotta work for that Carp

So now the challenge is to find a Pokemon that isn't all that great (worthy to be pre-first gym) but that people really like anyway.

I put together a list of potentials. Horsea, Aron, Cacnea, Feebas, Spheal, Shinx, Budew, Combee, Blitzle, Cottonee, Tynamo, Skrelp, Clauncher, and Bergmite.

Obviously any that are already in the game would need replacements.

Shinx I suggested 'cause I figured it's pretty popular but also frustrating to get.

Budew I particularly like as a candidate seeing as Roserade is a very popular pokemon, Budew is already implemented in the early game and isn't out of place there, the existing Budew could be replaced with Pansage which would allow all three of those monkeys to be obtainable pre-first gym, and you get to charge people money for Budew.

Combee would need to be taken out of the headbutt-able trees otherwise there's no point to the event, but it would draw more attention to an underrated early game pokemon.

Blitzle is a particularly strong contender in my mind.

Bergmite could be a bit overpowered. Well, not Bergmite, but Avalugg. Still, there is a shortage of ice types in the early game.

Edited by Sheep

Rewer puts it well.

That said, I will admit going through that sequence of events designed to keep Gyarados from you, only to get something as lame as a Ducklett, is not especially appealing.

So now the challenge is to find a Pokemon that isn't all that great (worthy to be pre-first gym) but that people really like anyway.

I have a suspicion most incoming suggestions are not going to meet that first category...

IMHO, Feebas would be a great replacement for the reward of the current Magikarp Ducklett event, because Feebas has a very Magikarp-y feel to it (shitty but good evolution) and its evolution can be postponed as long as you (Ame) want because of the flexibility in obtaining a Prism Scale. As there is no real player-to-player trading, There are 2 options for the evolution:
-Change the evolution requirement to Milotic to be using a Linkstone on Feebas (possibly at a certain level) holding a Prism Scale instead of Trading with a Prism Scale. The Prism Scale should be available after about the 3d gym (obtainable by mining would be the best option here).
-Keep the trading part, and put a trade guy somewhere you can only get in the time you want the players to get Milotic that will trade your normal Feebas for another one holding a Prism Scale (will evolve immediately after trading), possibly adding that the trade guy asks for a small fee (money, minor quest) before he gives his trading services.
MILOTIC IS FABULOUS
Edited by Nova

Feebas OP.
The Prism Scale likely won't be required to evolve it, though. Only a linkstone should needed. I've done so with a Poliwhirl into Politoed and Karrablast into Escavalier, meaning the additional required item/condition is instead not needed, requiring only the linkstone. Unless this is patched, our bigger worries will be finding the stone itself. I think Combee would be great, but the story with the fisherman and the "badass dragon" wouldn't fit.

Feebas OP.

The Prism Scale likely won't be required to evolve it, though. Only a linkstone should needed. I've done so with a Poliwhirl into Politoed and Karrablast into Escavalier, meaning the additional required item/condition is instead not needed, requiring only the linkstone. Unless this is patched, our bigger worries will be finding the stone itself. I think Combee would be great, but the story with the fisherman and the "badass dragon" wouldn't fit.

They don't reference the ducklett as a dragon in the new event. Can't remember exactly what they called it. Maybe a mighty creature? Not sure. I think a good amount of people were expecting a tynamo from this event when we were aware of losing magikarp and the addition of the useless little bugger until evolution. Feebas would make a lot of sense though, considering prism scale should be required for her evolution as well as the link stone. Considering you could get a Gyarados pre-Julia, Feebas can be made as useless as desired so it isn't a huge early game threat.

I believe removing magikarp was more of a "stop trying to make it easy " than "making it hard"

also swanna wrecks, i destroyed samson with it, respect da duck :( (he coulda beaten me if he clicked bounce though....)

Literally everything destroys Samson; just add Swanna to the already long list of Pokemon that have shit on his team.

inb4samsonbuffkekekeke

Solution- wait until Tanzan Cove then you don't have to spend money or don't spend it at all.

Don't worry about me, I've already gotten my Gyarados, never letting go of it either; I just feel for the newer players that don't know about the troll job they're gonna get hit with when they drop $1500 on a derpy ass duck that isn't worth a goddamn.

Rewer puts it well.

That said, I will admit going through that sequence of events designed to keep Gyarados from you, only to get something as lame as a Ducklett, is not especially appealing.

I have a suspicion most incoming suggestions are not going to meet that first category...

Honestly, I wouldn't object to removing the event altogether, or at least pushing it back a few badges to give yourself a wider range of Pokemon to choose from.

• Administrators

My lamentation with Feebas is that I've had a place for that for a very long time, and honestly no one's going to use the thing at all until they can evolve it-- so there isn't much point in giving it before then. This is contrasted against Magikarp who, in theory, the player has to put "a lot" of "effort" lol switch training on level 50s into raising.

I like the Shinx idea, and I also like the idea of that sidequest becoming Magikarp again but spanning much longer

I also like the idea of that sidequest becoming Magikarp again but spanning much longer

This, maybe the guy who scammed us runs away with the money and we can encounter him again on 7th street (and get our Magikarp)

I also like the idea of that sidequest becoming Magikarp again but spanning much longer

I also really like that idea. It'd add an awesome little long running sidequest to a game that's already filled with content. The reward would also be one that I'm sure many people, or at least Vinny would go for.

My lamentation with Feebas is that I've had a place for that for a very long time, and honestly no one's going to use the thing at all until they can evolve it-- so there isn't much point in giving it before then. This is contrasted against Magikarp who, in theory, the player has to put "a lot" of "effort" lol switch training on level 50s into raising.

I like the Shinx idea, and I also like the idea of that sidequest becoming Magikarp again but spanning much longer

Feebas confirmed to be able to evolve in the same episode we get it? Well, even if it's not the case, I still have episode 9, which runs the Gen. 5 pickup table.

The Ame mindset is that we won't be getting any sort of stellar dragon or pseudo unless we work our as off for it. Goomy will be no different. (Not sure why everyone thinks we can simply get goomy.). I absolutely love the idea of being able to find the culprit again in 7th street, however, there needs to be precaution taken with it. The whole point of the magikarp event being so early was because it wa meant to make you drop your money early on. I think you should only be able to talk to the man before Julia.

The Ame mindset is that we won't be getting any sort of stellar dragon or pseudo unless we work our as off for it. Goomy will be no different. (Not sure why everyone thinks we can simply get goomy.). I absolutely love the idea of being able to find the culprit again in 7th street, however, there needs to be precaution taken with it. The whole point of the magikarp event being so early was because it wa meant to make you drop your money early on. I think you should only be able to talk to the man before Julia.

Or something different. How about:

You can only talk with the guy after the factory thing with Fern, Flo and Julia, and before you defeat Julia.

If you talk with the guy during that time, you can find him in the 7th street in the future. Cuz reasons.

If you don't talk with him, then you can only find Magikarp somewhere in the wild, in the future. Probably after the 16th gym or something.

Maybe that's too complicated...

Don't care, i have my Gyarados <3

• 1 month later...