Out of curiosity: how did you guys beat Ryland on the Pyramid?

Lord C

Asking because damn, I feel outright dirty after that fight. I used more Revival Herbs than I'd admit otherwise and a Sturdy Donphan with Endeavor and Ice Shard, basically cheesing. But I read from past posts that a lot of people had no trouble with that fight which leaves me puzzled.

Seriously, the Gliscor and Excadrill outspeed everything and hit like a truck and that's without counting the bizarre Torterra. How did you guys deal with that?

On my last win I used the Nidoqueen as setup. Lead with Drought Torkoal to eliminate the Sandstorm and Will-o-Wisp it; sent Leavanny and used set Webs; sent Meganium and set Light Screen; and last sent Scrafty, Dragon Dance twice, then start accumulating Moxie boosts. I think on my another run I used less set up and a team that had Heracross and Krookdile to deal with most of Ryland's Team, and a couple specific pokemons for Gliscor and Claydol.

The best suggestion that I have is to abuse the fact that Rejuv still has the TM Dig, since the terrain make it a 120 BP single turn move (better than Earthquake) and most of his team is vunerable to Ground-moves (Nidoqueen, Excadrill, Mega-Stellix/Camerupt, Crest Torterra).

• Like 1

i just used the team u see in my signature for the most part.............. made the fight easier cuz of the 2 ground types................... plus desert's mark add's ground type to the target so u dont take sandstorm damage anymore on top of the increased defenses .................... as for the moves i always made sure to use bulk up at least once with my blaziken since it was a physical sweeper and with good enough RNG i could get a good few double kicks or a blaze kick off, maybe even a brave bird on the right mon............ the golurk was my tank as it was assault vested which helped A LOT on his special attackers, that and the drain punch kept it alive too

• Like 1

The first fight against him was the easiest gymfight I had in Rejuvenation bec his Claydol was bugged and didnt do anything. 1 or 2 months ago i replayed V12 with my second playfile and the battle was the hell on earth, I needed like 10 tries to beat him, but in the end my krookodile with a couple of boost through beat up was the way to go. 

• Like 1

The key for me was catching a Sableye from Voidal Chasm directly beforehand. Gliscor, Torterra, and Excadrill were the only mons I was having trouble with, all physical attackers, and Prankster Sableye was the key to taking each of them down... because for some reason the Sableyes in Voidal Chasm have Strength Sap. Which is kinda illegal, but ok. 

TM'ed Will-o-wisp, relearned knock off and mean look in Sheridan, and just stalled until those 3 burned to death. I think I used Amnesia Palossand to take care of the special attackers after the other 3 went down. 

Sableye also carried hard in the Adam gym battle. All but 1 physical attacker (Aurorus), so once T-tar went down, more of the same. Kinda cheesy, but I don't like being required to change the field to pass a battle, so yeah.

• Like 1

First time I fought Ryland/Flora, I used a standard team involving some gen 5 mons. (Simipour for Rain Dance/Scald, Serperior for physical coil strats and Galvantula for webs (Although, webs only mattered during some points in the battle, since Excadrill is just so fast even -1 doesn't slow it down.).)

Strat was to set up rain on the lead who always went for toxic spikes first turn, then scald to oh'ko said lead. From there, big bad crested Torterra came in and he was webs setup for Galv. After that, I sacked off Galv to Torterra and sent out Armaldo, rock slide the Tort trying to deal as much damage as I could hoping to get a flinch to prevent it from using Desert's Mark (If Tort flinched, went for another rock slide, then after I used dig. If it didn't, straight up dig for heavy damage since Armaldo turns into a ground type thanks to Desert's Mark.).

Basically, it was just back and forth with both sides losing mons until I get to the Excadrill. Serp comes in, telluric seed on it, proceeded to coil set up and tank a hit from Excadrill. Serp then just swept through the remainder of their team until there was nothing left. So, yeah. Pretty good fight overall for me, though did take me several times to figure out.

• Like 1

destroyed nidoqueen with my donphan with 2 earthquakes

excadrill cant do a damn thing to my sturdy sawk who managed to outspeed it

gliscor is 4 times weak to ice so walrein with frost breath defeated it in one shot

mega camerupt too has a 4 times weaknes to water so my wailord defeated it in 2 shots due to water attacks being weak in the desert

the ones that gave me trouble were claydol and torterra but i defeated them with brute strength.

managed to beat torterra with staraptor using the reckless boosted take down with normal gem but it was like a tank and went down after 3 shots. its moves aranite wall and desert mark game me some time.

claydol was very difficult for me.one on one it is almost impossible to be beaten.managed to weaken it with walrein and staraptor before delivering the final blow with nidoking with megahorn.sheer force boosted slash and burn did less damage than non boosted megahorn the fist time i scouted it so the next time i tried i used risky megahorn.

i use always a princible in the leaders in single battles; one of my pokemon can defeat only one of the leaders pokemon,so i give them all a fair chance and build them expecialy to counter only one opposing pokemon that i buld them to defeat

Edited by Bessi
  • Like 1

I was expecting to have to fight Flora because who other than a madman would have been able to predict that the "final" boss of the Pyramid was Ryland under purple thorn mind control? So I was mostly prepared for Grass types but I barely pulled though.

Mainly by attacking his ground Pokemon's secondary typing and using at least twenty Ultra Potions while his Excadrill was drained by it's Life Orb.

Fuck that Torterra and it's Crest though. It was enough to make me despise the entire species forever.

And especially fuck Desert Mark for being so goddamn broken.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 2:07 PM, DerogatoryTrainer said:

I was expecting to have to fight Flora because who other than a madman would have been able to predict that the "final" boss of the Pyramid was Ryland under purple thorn mind control? So I was mostly prepared for Grass types but I barely pulled though.

Mainly by attacking his ground Pokemon's secondary typing and using at least twenty Ultra Potions while his Excadrill was drained by it's Life Orb.

Fuck that Torterra and it's Crest though. It was enough to make me despise the entire species forever.

And especially fuck Desert Mark for being so goddamn broken.

well congrats XD

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

(on Intense) Buffed up Iron Defense and Speed Boost Scolipede on the Dugtrio. Baton Pass to Crest-Zangoose and use Sword Dance once or twice. Smash everything to pieces with Facade or Brick Break.

Zangoose Crest is completly bonkers. EDIT: Might have remembered wrong cause he starts with a Nidoqueen on Intense doesn't he. It was some other fight with a Dugtrio at the start. But still Zangoose Crest and i guess that's the fight where i did most of the work with my Crest-Feraligatr and Alolan Nighttales along with changing the terrain and setting up shields at the start with Meowstic.

Edited by ValkyrieAS
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been running a rainbow team on Rejuv (regular difficulty) so...yeah, Ryland was such a pushover that I only atually realized he was a gym leader when I was wondering how I could spend this Pyramid Point thing I got after defeating him. Hey, it was, like, 5 am and I was almost falling asleep, so don't judge me

Normal mode file:

Vanilluxe with Ice Beam and Flygon with Dig.

Especially Flygon with Dig is useful, since 4/6 of his team is actually weak to Ground. Remaining team doesn't provide super effective moves, but it can hand out the hits. (included my starter which was Greninja).

Casual mode file:

Vanilluxe once again (this time I was able to use Sheer Cold), Pangoro, Swoobat (which knows Energy Ball) and Typhlosion (for Slash and Burn).

Note that Ryland actually has a Rhyperior with Weakness Policy in casual mode, so that must be taken out as soon as possible.