Trespassers: Director's Cut: The Bus

Hal Henderics

Checkups will involve measurements of the following where applicable, among other things:
Height
Weight
Blood Pressure
Resting Heart Rate
Allergies to Harry's more commonly used drugs
Eyesight
Hearing
Collection of DNA samples
Numerous tests to hopefully identify who may be carrying dangerous pathogens
Disinfection where possible

This is not a complete list. Nor are you required to specify what the results are to anything in particular. However anything noticeable or strange or interesting should be noted, if it would be noticeable. There will of course be variations in what is checked based on the individual, which will be specified.

If nothing out of the ordinary is noticed, please indicate so, and the examination will be concluded.
Arminius:

Spoiler

"I'm not really aware how your runes interact with people. Gonna want to test that at some point in the future, but if you could give me a brief overview, well that'd be great."

The rest of the sheet seemed mostly in order, so Harry looked the man in the eyes, and asked. "Are you sure you don't have anything else worth mentioning here? No recent injuries or contaminations that you might be forgetting?"

Lucine:

Spoiler

"That should be fine. We're going to move onto the checkup now. It should be mostly easy stuff, but do you have any fear of needles? They should be mostly painless, but I want to make sure."

Frigus:

Spoiler

"Yes, that's actually part of the reason that question is there. We don't want to transfer oracle cells to some random world."

"Anyway, that's all pretty much it. Gonna say it again, thanks for the all the help back in Proddy's world. You've been one of the most consistently reliable people here. I'll probably want to take a look at the effects of your healing magic, by the way."

Frigus will get the standard checkup, with no extraneous elements.

Tim:

Spoiler

"You can copy things and recreate them? Could you try that with this?" Harry pointed to the cannister of Meld sitting behind him. "It's some form of nanomachine integrator that's apparently pretty rare."

"Now, could you give me a quick primer on what the effects of Flux phage are? I don't know what it is."

Alan:

Spoiler

"A clinic on the weatherlight? That'd be useful. But tests are planned for in here. Since we've got an obvious medbay that you're currently in."

Alan recieves the standard checkup, along with a check for lasting effects from his cancer, and Harry checks for as much information as he can gain about how Alan's augments were done without being too invasive.

Leo:

Spoiler

"I don't know where these places are. I don't know what most of these things are. But thank you for at least your. . . thoroughness." Harry said after Leo had spent five minutes talking.

"Now, given this vast difference in experience and worlds, yet the seeming human appearance, we'll have to be extra careful. Wasn't like we weren't going to be careful though." Harry'd heard Kusuke go on about this man already, and there still wasn't much to determine either way. He could be extremely reckless, or it could be a factor of an extremely dangerous world.

"You also need to give some brief summary of your world's magic, because surprise surprise, we're not from your world."

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leo

Spoiler

"Ok so, The short and simple version is that souls make mana, and that mana changes when it touches matter, meaning diffrent matrials and combinations do diffrent things. There are many, many, many ways to manipulate and work with it, so many Im not even going to try and list them all. But some common ones are programing mana with sound, or useing runes to shape it, or using movements to manipulate the mana in your body."

Spoiler

Leo's Hight, Weight, Heartrate, and Bloodpressure all seem pretty normal, Nor does he show signs of any reactions to anything harry is using.

His Eyesight is fine, but a quick test shows he actualy DOES indeed see in the dark, with roughly the same ease he can see during the day. Likewise his hearing turns up fine.

The DNA test however.....
However much like a human Leo may seem, he is VERY diffrent from the rest of the party. Massive chunks of his DNA are missing, while other sections are nonviable or missing small pieces. Although a majority of the DNA is vaguely recognizable as 'human' There are also chunks and bits of random junk that seems to be all over the place, some of this doesn't even look like it came from a mammal.  Everything harry knows about medicine is telling him Leo should be very, very dead. How is he even breathing? His body should be falling apart at the seems at this very moment. But as time continues on, he just keeps breathing. 

Not only that, but as his blood comes into contact with various bits of the testing equipment....There is....Some oddness. Glass syringes start glowing, and plastic that makes contact starts to swell and distort and turn into a foamy, bubbly mess, effectively melting it.

Harry also notes that most of the bacteria and viruses on him and in the samples, aren't even made of carbon, but rather calcium compounds, though none of them seem overtly dangerous. Curiously enough, these actualy DO have properly complete DNA.

Calvera

Spoiler

Nothing seems unusual about Calvera, at first glance. The only thing abnormal, is she's at a constant state of above 100 degree body temperature (normally hovering about 104, but it fluctuates), but one could assume this is because of what she is.

Arminius shrugs at the question about his runes. "They don't really. Not anymore than they need too. So basically being in close enough contact that I can sense and grab the underlying essence is enough. I suppose if someone really cared they could study the runic alphabet but after a while it starts to get the blood pumping so it'd need constant breaks. As for if I'm sure, yes I know my face is fucked, I didn't think you needed me to write down that I'm covered in burns at the moment. Also the last world had various corruptions I suppose but I wasn't in contact with any to my knowledge."

Frigus:

Spoiler

"Thanks, glad I could help out.  And yeah I'd be happy to do some tests later."

Frigus's results all come back "healthy" or at least within safe margins.(considering his lifestyle of getting beaten up)

The only thing that might be a worry is slightly elevated blood pressure, but everyone on the ship probably has that.

Tim:

Spoiler

"Oh mostly what you'd expect in a common flu, cough, sore throat, mucus build up, etc.  Except the mucus is tinted purple and it's sapping the Vis, that's magical energy of a specific type, right out of you.  It doesn't do much more than a flu would to a normal person, but it makes using any kind of magic a real pain.  Luckily it's been about ten years since I've been in contact with it, so we should be plenty fine."

Kusuke

Height: 173 cm
Weight: 70kg, low body fat
Low blood pressure and resting heart rate, as would be expected from a young, physically fit man.
No notable allergies.
Slightly nearsighted, but not enough to warrant correction.

Average hearing.
Kusuke's DNA is fairly standard. It shows evidence of a certain amount of genetic drift and a somewhat higher rate of mutations than one would expect, and small snippets seem to have markedly unusual structure, particularly in regions coding for hair color, eye color, and musculature; their overall effect seems to be a small enhancement in physical strength and a tendency toward exotic coloration (evidenced by his hair being a dark violet color) with no other results that Harry can quite determine.
Any pathogens Kusuke may be carrying would be rather unremarkable viruses and bacteria that one would expect from a world very similar to Earth, all of which seem to have typical results to standard disinfectants.

Lucine

Height: Almost exactly 150cm
Weight: 39 kg
Her blood pressure and heart rate seem to be elevated, but not outside normal variance due to stress and a relative lack of fitness.
Lucine doesn't present any notable allergic responses, though she seems to be entirely unresponsive to a few of his drugs. 
Her eyesight appears to be normal, but upon further inspection has a small but notable lag time when switching between near and far focuses. 
Her hearing range is slightly narrower than expected for her age. Close testing would reveal a very small frequency band gap in it, as well.
Lucine's DNA barely appears to be such. While it has recognizable functional groups and might even be compatible with normal human DNA, the contents of such are utterly unrecognizable and don't actually seem to use the standard ACGT bases at all; instead, they use very close analogues made of completely different substances. It's difficult to tell what causes what, but there seem to be some strands that appear viable, but have been suppressed by some force, genetic or otherwise. Once he becomes familiar enough with it to note the normal structure, it also seems to have been tampered with at multiple points, up to a few cells appearing to be chimeric and not matching the genetic code in the rest of her body. 
Lucine seems to be completely devoid of pathogens, to an unusual degree.

The fishman quietly entered the bus and was a bit starttled by all these new faces. There were already a lot of people before, and now there's more of them? Sheesh. He didn't really resist the check up either and just let it happen.

Toshiro

Height: 6,4
Weight: 237 lbs
Blood Pressure & Resting Heartrate: Normal
Allergies to Harry's more commonly used drugs: None
Eyesight: 20/10 Quite a bit sharper than normal human eyes. Hard to tell if it's from his species or his was born naturally with it.
Hearing: A bit below average
Collection of DNA samples: His DNA seems to normal enough/what someone could expect coming from a fishman.
Numerous tests to hopefully identify who may be carrying dangerous pathogens: He seems to carry an assortment of pathogens and diseases that aren't from any human nor fish disease. It seems more alien if anything. Doesn't seem like they could be spread, however, so it should be fine to leave it as is.  

To Freya

Spoiler

“If you are certain, then.  The God-Emperor cannot help the forcibly converted, so I will keep my peace for now.  But I would urge you to reconsider.”

To Azgrurk

Spoiler

“Alliances with orks have never ended well before, but…  You do at minimum act more coherent than any greenskin I’ve heard of.  Still, Harry, I would urge you to take every precaution to prevent accidental spread of ork spores.  They’re pernicious, and easily spread, even without intending to.”

To Law

Spoiler

“By the Emperor, I wish our champions had the luxury of such minimalistic modifications.  Your world sounds like a peaceful place.  Should there ever come a time when humanity is truly safe, I might like to see it for myself.”

To Aquila

Spoiler

“Ah, he’s a dark-worlder.  I’ve encountered similar before.  I’d suggest also checking for lingering concussion effects.  He’s probably had a few.”

To Kusuke

Spoiler

“Time travel?  That’s…  I suppose in universes with a less hostile warp, such things might be possible.  I don’t think any of the painkillers I have on hand are suitable for headaches, no matter how severe.  Unfortunate.”

To Lucine

Spoiler

“They are starting them rather young these days.  They didn’t throw me to the front lines until I turned 18.  I admit to finding this… concerning.”

To Nader

Spoiler

“He seems human enough.  Standard operating procedures shouldn’t kill him, and if they do because of something he should have told us, he’ll just have to take his lecture from the God-Emperor as to why he was being stupid like a guardsman.”

To Alan

Spoiler

“Implants?  Psyker powers channeled through a cogitator?  Hm.  I can’t really comment on the latter, but I can take a look at the implants to make sure they’ve set correctly, and haven’t responded poorly to the unusual circumstances you’ve been in.  I’ve seen similar devices before, usually for starship or Titan pilots.”

To Calvera

Spoiler

“I’m honestly not sure what to do with you, assuming your words are accurate.  How does one medicate a star?”

To Leo

Spoiler

“A mutant psyker.  An accident-prone mutant psyker with no sense of self-preservation.  Emperor, give me strength.  At least he isn’t doing anything intentionally enough to be a Tzeentchian mole.  Probably.”

(After taking a blood sample for the check-up)
“God-Emperor preserve us!  His blood triggered my medicae’s Autopurge within seconds!  He’s tainted by chaos!  Even if he’s not actively following their fell doctrine, he’s even less safe than the ork!”  She doesn't go straight for the flamer this time, having resigned herself to the inevitable minor heresies, "Any blood or other fluids he sheds will need to be purged in flame, and ideally treated with blessed oils, to prevent contamination or corruption of the surrounding areas."

To Frigus:

Spoiler

Nothing really stands out to her.

To Tim:

Spoiler

“More blood rituals?  I’m going to need a blood sample to check for blood-borne diseases.”

(After check-up)
“Fortunately, you don’t seem to have caught anything.  I’d suggest avoiding contact between your blood and other individuals in the future, whenever possible.”

To Toshiro

Spoiler

Nothing of note.  He’s just a fish xenos.  By far not the weirdest thing in this crew.

Amelie, to Harry

Spoiler

“I am… not familiar with medicine.  I was only taught what Talon believed their expensive asset might need to return to base for treatment.  There are likely complexities to my modifications that have escaped me.

“Moira is not dead, though I attempted to kill her.  She teleported to safety after confirming for me that she had not included a kill switch in my enhancements.  If she had one, she would have used it on me to ensure her safe escape.

“Even a few more weeks…  It is more than I expected to have.   Merci.”

Vitor’s Checkup Results

Spoiler

Vitor seems very healthy, and in excellent physical condition.  Aside from a few distinctive hallmarks of high stress life, he’s doing fine.

Amelie’s Checkup Results

Spoiler

The Frenchwoman is definitely underweight for her height, and her blood pressure and heart rate are obviously about 2/3 of what a healthy person should have.  Her eyesight and hearing are substantially better than baseline human, but her DNA doesn’t appear to have been altered in any way.  Aside from that, as far as Harry can tell, her summation of her condition was completely and disturbingly accurate.

Law:

Spoiler

The results pleasant, Harry thought, all things considered. It was extremely long, but almost. . . legible. There was a logical flow, almost as if reading the writing of someone with fine pensmanship. It wasn't beautiful in efficiency, but in consistency. And, hidden in this long, long chain, there were some locations where, while it was hidden deeply, vestigial DNA structures undeniably human resided.

"This all looks good Law. You're in excellent health. Though, does your species by any chance integrate traits from other species? Or have they done so in the past."

You are free to be decontaminated and to leave.

Leo:

Spoiler

As the blood melted into a pool of plasticky syrup and slowly clotting blood, Harry just looked up and stared at Leo. "Really man?" He made a note in the margin of Leo's form. A note: "This man's blood hates PVC tubing, and he will not do anything to make you aware of that fact before you begin drawing blood."

"Agreed on purging the blood with fire."

"Alright, we'll do this with just the syringes and the vacuum vials. It can be done without the tubing, that was just more convenient." Going through this process, nothing more of note occurred, save of course the glowing of the vials, and Harry muttering occasionally to himself with a scowl on his face. Eventually though, he arrived at his 'results'.

"Well. . .this ain't fuckin right." Harry stared at the results on his tablet, attempting to fathom the results. After checking to make sure there had been no malfunctions, and running the program again, he leaned back in his chair. After a moment, he got up, asked to be excused, and left the room for a full five minutes. The genome was short, exceptionally. There were phenotypes, obviously expressed in the man's body. But there was little else, and what little there was, it didn't make any sense. What secret extremely compact information could be hidden in there, and was there any way to tell? After metaphorically banging his head against a wall for a bit, he realized, perhap there really was nothing there. Nothing but the phenotypes, and some junk DNA. It was possible. . . He marched back into the room, and stared at the letters for a few minutes more. That had to be it. He coughed, and then spoke.

"Okay so, Mr. Leo. You ever go, drug yourself, have someone take every cell in your body, take out the DNA, stick it in a blender full of battery acid, then duct tape the parts that survived back together with little nucleotide tape and stick them back into your cells? Because that's what it looks like." The doctor took a long deep breath before continuing, keeping his voice as steady as he could.

"You should be dead. Or rather, you shouldn't have been alive. There's nothing in here to build a human! Like sure, there's stuff here that says you have an eye color and a hair color, sure, that's great! Congratulations! But besides that? There's like. . . barely anything here, nothing that I can parse as doing anything."

"Just to check, you haven't gone and eaten any funky mushrooms, sunbathed inside a nuclear reactor, or drank an apatizing smoothie of beryllium and radium, right?"

"Also all the microorganisms in you are made of calcium, which is a little weird, but really not compared to the other stuff."

Calvera and Rachel:

Spoiler

"I'm pretty sure that she's essentially human as far as physiology goes, except when she transforms. We'll of course be careful, but standard treatments may be alright."

"Everything looks fine here. Slightly elevated body temperature, little curious why whatever magic keeps you in this body couldn't deal with that, it is quite minor, but it shouldn't matter too much. I may look into it later. Have a nice day."

Arminius:

Spoiler

In response to the man's comment about his face, Harry said, "Yes, well, I never can quite tell with you. Not the worst burns, though it'll take a bit of time for them to go away. For proper treatment, I'll need to know a couple of things. Namely, how recently this happened, and by what means? You been drinking much water? Felt dizzy at all? Any breaks in the skin at the time of the injury?" It certainly didn't appear that way, but magic could decieve, and with Rachel's absence, Harry decided to do his best to prevent that.

"Well, good to hear you know to stay away from the contaminants at least."

Aquila and Rachel:

Spoiler

"Right, concussions. Barely get them myself." He began his standard littany of tests, with extra emphasis on pathogens that might be present, and the possibility of long term after effects of concussions.

"Good health, especially considering some of these look like they were pretty bad at one point. . ." Harry shrugged, the man was in excellent condition physically. But perhaps, given his choice of armament and such, there might be a pertinent question.

"How often do you bathe or otherwise clean yourself?"

Frigus:

Spoiler

"Cool."

"Well, looks like you're all good. Bit of blood pressure thing, but who could blame you? And it's not that bad really. But while we're traveling, you might want to relax a bit of you can. Dare I say it, you might want to chill a little?"

Tim:

Spoiler

"Good. Got nothing more, onto the tests."

Tim will get the standard checkup.

Kusuke:

Spoiler

After looking over everything, Harry nodded. "Nothing much to see here. Generally healthy, DNA tests are mostly as expected. Slightly higher incidence of mutation than I'd expect, but it could very well be a fluke, it's small enough. If it weren't for that, I could probably have tried to estimate what century you were from with a few assumptions, based on the accumulation of discrepancies."

"Should be everything for now, let me know if you need anything."

Lucine and Rachel:

Spoiler

More staring at the rsults. More confusion. It was not as bad as Leo had been, for certain. At the very least, the structure made some sense to Harry, if it was a bit alien in implementation. But. . . what was even going on with it? The differences were subtle enough that he couldn't be certain what was going on. It could be the cause of the sensory anomalies that had shown up in the testing. . .

He had suspicions. It looked engineered. Maybe. There were suppressed groups, which didn't appear to be able to be activated by any natural means. Perhaps it was archaic, an ancient holdover, but there were indications that it wasn't, there was no sign of degradation and the slow mutation of an unexpressed gene over time.

"Tell me, Lucine, have you ever been to see a doctor before?" While asking this, Harry noted down a few things on his tablet, specifically the fact that it was a direct parallel but not actually the same as regular human DNA, the absence of pathogens, and some of the suppressed segments. He handed over the tablet to Rachel to see what she made of it.

Toshiro:

Spoiler

"Good eyes, genome makes sense. . . Diseases are a little odd. We're gonna need to look into those. Don't look like a problem, but you never really can tell."

Freya:

Spoiler

"Anyway, absent the attempted conversion, you seem to be in decently good health. Given your abilities, look forward to working with you in the future"

Azgrurk and Rachel:

Spoiler

"Spores? Well that's rather ominous, what are the best ways to decontaminate them?"

"Thank you for not deciding to murder each other anyway."

Azgrurk recieves some form of minimal checkup, and is free to be decontaminated and leave.

Amelie:

Spoiler

No DNA modifications, which was, well, given the changes she'd had, horrifically crude. This would need some planning, of course it would, but more than similar modifications made at a more fundamental level might.
"We'll have to fix that. I've some things I'll need to test and finish. But come back in three days or so, and we'll get to work."

Vitor:

Spoiler

"Everything looks good, be sure to stop by if you have any concerns or help you need."

Proditor:

Spoiler

Everything essentially matches with Harry's previous investigations of Proditors physiology. Granted, this was not an extremely detailed survey, but that would be done at a later time.

Kusuke

"That makes sense. Seithr sickness and radiation sickness aren't that far apart in symptoms - although I've never heard of anyone outright being dissolved into rads - so it'd be a little weird if there wasn't a bit more changing going on. I'll keep you posted, otherwise." Without much further ado, Kusuke headed out of the room and then out of the bus entirely, back to whatever business he'd been attending to previously on the Weatherlight.

Lucine

The girl looked confused for a moment, stained with the faintest hint of suspicion. "I always saw the family doctor back in Trifas." She kicked her feet, wanting to pace but being seated at the moment. "Is there something wrong? I don't really feel sick or anything."

Aquila

Spoiler

Aquila gives the doctor a look like he's stupid for asking that question. "At least once a week. More if the various dirt and grime and blood gets to be enough that dealing with cold water is better than being filthy.... Do people often go without cleansing themselves for that long? Because I like to think I'm accepting of other religions and such but I'm not going to feel bad about wrestling people down to a river with me..."

Arminius

Spoiler

Arminius shrugs. "I mean, just between you and me? I'm surprised I haven't been Incubized yet. I mean, I suppose it's because my mana flow is one way but just being around Monsters as long as I have puts you at risk, and being in this close of proximity... Don't worry about yourself by the way. Unless your soul is prone to absorbing things you're fine. And given I have to actively channel essence into things... yeah. Anyway, burns happened last day we were on the last world. I was attacked by a creature native to the world that was made of meteor, ore that's always burning and conducts mana like crazy. That got my face... And then there was a fire elemental that got my legs and stuff. And of course I've been drinking water.... Haven't felt dizzy no... And no cracking to my knowledge. I should be fairly fine, I got cold on my face burns once I was safe at least."

Leo

Spoiler

Leo seems equally surprised when the PVC tubing melts. Though for an entirely diffrent reason.
"Wait, your using PLASTIC in your medical equipment? WHY?! And what is she going on about? Are you two sure you know what your doing?"

Once harry leaves and comes back in Leo tilts his head

"I have not had anyone screw with my DNA like that no. And I would VERY much like to avoid growing eyes on my back so Ive avoided divine substances and radiation. I assume from context that your referring to a mutagenic reactor? 

Leo gets up and looks at the tablet harry is holding and stares at it. After a few moments he turns back to him
"To reiterate, Are you SURE you know what your doing? Because everything here looks right to me. Its not the first time Ive had a DNA test"

To Azgrurk and Harry

Spoiler

"You may tire of hearing it from me by now, but fire is the surest way.  Or other forms of extreme heat.  Fortunately, no special rites are needed, and they should only spread if his blood is spilled.  I would need to test to be certain, but it's possible cleansers that are difficult to weaponize, like bleach or pure alcohol, might also be effective.  It's rather difficult to get orks to volunteer to be researched under normal circumstances.  They are not the most pernicious sort of biohazard I've encountered, but they are troublesome.

To Lucine and Harry

Spoiler

The nun looks over the tablet readouts in quiet bafflement, "D... N... A?  It has to be an acronym, but I do not recognize it.  Perhaps it was once common knowledge, but many things were lost during the Dark Age of Technology, and many more are hoarded by the Adeptus Mechanicus lest they be used by those they do not approve of.  I wish I could be of more assistance to you, but I don't understand what this is meant to show.

To Leo and Harry

Spoiler

"Harry, the process you've described is a fairly accurate description of what the warp does to people, assuming the daemons and traitors don't get them," Rachel shares gravely, "If he was a daemon, we'd be so very dead, and if he was a traitor he'd burn at the touch of my Aquilae, so...  As the God-Emperor teaches, once you have eliminated all other possibilities, that which remains, however unlikely, must be the result.  Leo must either have taken an unprotected journey through the warp and survived, or originate from a universe with natural laws extremely similar to the warp.  A place that works only on its own twisted logic, shaped by the whims and willpower of its inhabitants more than the iron-clad laws of physics.  A place where, if the God-Emperor has blessed it, the fell entities of hate and evil that fester in the warp of my home do not exist.  His species, for if it ever was human it has not been for a very long time, evolved under physical laws entirely alien to our own, for they are not even laws so much as weak suggestions.  He is less human than anyone we've had in here today.  Except arguably the ork."

Law:

Spoiler

"That's exceedingly odd. There're markers here that that at least in my universe, are unique to primates. They seem vestigial, of course, but my first guess was utilizing traits that seemed convenient from the animal kingdom."

"Granted, I don't know exactly how you precursors originated in relation to other species."

Lucine:

Spoiler

"Deoxyribonucleic acid. Basically the code that carries heritable traits in life as I've known it. There's probably gonna be variations and completely different things as we travel the multiverse, but a decent number of the people here have been compatible with it. In fact, that may have been by design. We can't have been the only people summoned for tasks like this, Dr. Ebon indicated as much. Perhaps they grouped people according to similarity of universes, so that we don't have to figure out how to treat the injuries of that eight dimensional hyperintelligent shade of blue."

"Point is, this should be basically all the biological information about Lucine. I can. . . explain some more later." He'd need a bit of time in order to explain the subtleties of what he thought he was seeing. The doctor directed his attention back to Lucine.

"I don't think there's anything wrong, per se, Lucine. It's just, we're from different worlds, so I don't always know quite what to expect. So when your results came back a little different than I expected, I was surprised. I wanted to know if you'd seen a doctor before, and whether they'd thought anything was unusual. If your doctor never found anything wrong, that tells me that it's probably something about your world. He didn't right?"

Of course, it was conceivable, even likely, that a twelve year old would not be told the intricacies of her medical situation if there were any. In any case, he'd discuss it once she left. If there was something the matter, he needed to determine how to deal with it before just giving that information out to a child.

Aquila:

Spoiler

"Do it more. As long as we're in places with water, at least once every two days, if not every day. Wash your hands before eating too. The bathing thing is, well usually it'd mostly be so that you don't go around embarassing yourself or smelling. But with the worlds we're visiting, cleanliness is vital, and reduces the chances that me and Rachel miss something and someone infects the whole ship."

Arminius:

Spoiler

"Well, the incubus thing is concerning. I'm not too familiar with that magic myself. Has anyone else on the ship seemed familiar enough with it to give their opinion?"

"You got something cold on it, good. . .well, go for cool but not cold if you didn't in the future. Should be on the road to recovery though. I only mention it because severe burns can leave one dehydrated."

"Also really? Got all your burns from separate creatures on the last day, but none before? A bit of a suspicious tale you know. You sure things didn't just get a little. . . hot with Calvera?"

Leo and Rachel:

Spoiler

"Leo look me in the eyes, and try to listen. The answer to your question? Do I know what I'm doing?" Harry felt a flash of irritation, but continued at the same tone. "The answer to that is no. God no. I have about 10% of an idea what I'm doing. In case you hadn't noticed, given that you're not in your world any more, maybe I'm not in mine, and I'm just winging it as best as I can? I've been working for the last four days straight. I've had three hours of sleep in that time. I don't need a reminder that I'm out of my depth, I need information, every fucking piece of it that I can get."

He took a shallow breath. "I used PVC because that's what I had. I didn't think about it because in my world, plastic doesn't melt on contact with blood. And from the sounds of it, that doesn't generally happen with Rachel either."

"I'll explain my problem here. See, here, we have a full genome, from someone from my world, I don't even remember who, it's just stored on here." Harry pulled up an annotated genome of a woman, and clicked a few buttons to hide the annotations.

"It's made up of a bunch of information that told his body how to make itself. Lots of steps, and since it evolved naturally, a fair bit of junk and obsolete code. You on the other hand, have almost nothing by comparison. Look at how short it is. All you have is the expressions, the surface level stuff, the phenotype. And a bit of junk DNA. If you lived like this in my world, you'd be dead within a day as your cells failed to create proteins and your organs ceased to function."

"I ask questions and express surprise at this because if you were not from a world where that was perfectly alright, I would need to treat you immediately, and it would be up to chance whether I could save you. Do you understand?"

"You're probably right Rachel. I can't tell how it would compare to your Warp, but I was fooled, in a way, expecting someone human looking to be so under the surface. Laws as weak suggestions. . . yes, that does make some sense."

Arminius shrugs. "I'm the only expert on how it works it would seem. I wouldn't ask other people because they probably have a different version of it but I'd be happy to fill you in. Might be helpful with an idea I had since it's just the male version of it. As for getting attacked by two seperate creatures on the same day, thought Calvera was dead at the time by the way, she can fill you in better obviously. Basically it was a bit of a mana... how do you say, experiment? Gone wrong. Not going to attempt it again at least."

Law

Spoiler

Eager to ignore Harry's line of questioning, Law breaks out into a rehearsed and enthusiastic abridged retelling of early precursor history.

"T-that's actually an interesting thing to ask about, you see, P-p-precursors ascended to a space-faring and ascendant race much like any other, with only two things worth noting."

"Firstly, Precursors t-took on a, uhh."

"A philosophy of redundancy?"

"B-because they-"

"we, uh our brains have the ability to multitask f-freely."

"This is d-due to the Precursor's progenitors being an uh..."

"Prey species." Law mumbles.

"So! Uh, th-we, THEY evolved to perform multiple tasks at t-the same time, suuch as watching for danger while e-eating and digging."

"Our ascension built upon this, increasing our ability to prr-process simultaneous events and lines of thought more and more."

"This ability to perform multiple tasks at the same time led to us avoiding the obvious pitfalls of AI development, and, by extension, left us fully in control of our technology."

"With none of the risks of Artificial Intelligence and Forced Automation emerging, there was nothing pressuring the Precursors to engage in risky, frankly dangerous genetic and physical augmentations in the event of a technological collapse.  Our technology was encoded with our DNA, our DNA was encoded with our technology, and later, our history, cultural values, scientific advances, and so on."

"In the face of this, it was generally agreed upon to avoid undergoing modifications which might in the short term leave Precursors mentally unhinged, and physically unfit, and, more concerning, in the long term, leave us unrecognizable and, pardon the expression, inhuman."

"That's why all of my body's improvements are, erm, under the hood, and a copy of the Precursor Genetic Code kept as a backup within not only our bodies, but every piece of our technology."

Law finishes, desperately hoping by now that Harry has somehow forgotten the part where his genetic code has primate markers in it.

Lucine gave Harry a very leery look that she failed to completely banish from her face as the doctor continued to speak. "Umm, Uncle Hildebrand said I was perfectly health for, uh, someone my age." She shook her head, as if to emphasize that no, there was nothing whatsoever unusual about her. "And he knows a lot about that kind of stuff." There. That was convincing, right?

14 hours ago, DragonRage said:

To Alan

Hide contents

“Implants?  Psyker powers channeled through a cogitator?  Hm.  I can’t really comment on the latter, but I can take a look at the implants to make sure they’ve set correctly, and haven’t responded poorly to the unusual circumstances you’ve been in.  I’ve seen similar devices before, usually for starship or Titan pilots.”

Alan's checkup results

Alan himself has nothing particularly wrong with him health wise, his brain tumor having been rather thoroughly removed by an extremely high doctor operating an automated machine, and as for how his implants were placed, he relates the usual story of having went to a slightly shady back alley doctor and waking up bald while connected to an IV tank several days or weeks later after being placed in a coma to allow his brain to heal himself.

Unfortunately his DNA samples and viral tests tell a different story, since the man's DNA structure seems to suggests that the man should logically have a lot more cancers than he currently has, as some parts of the strand doesn't seem to actually be attached to anything, although for the most part he seems to be human.

Meanwhile the bacteria and viruses living in his blood have had +50 years to develop resistance to a variety of antivirals, antibacterias, and magical treatments, none of which has prepared them against what Harry has to offer.

Alan's response to Rachel

"Yeah I've got a lot of them, mostly bioware though; apparently there's some geek living in my world who is a universal organ donor, as in, his organs can replace anyone's organs with no possibility of rejection, apparently they've been cloning him and modifying his cells to make this stuff ever since they found if you can believe the word on the street. Got these for pretty cheap after what I did for the doctor."

Leo's medical exam

Spoiler

"Ok Ill unpack that in a second, first...."
Leo turns away from Rachel and looks over the complete strand.
"You guys have DNA like that? Huh, that's odd. What would even cause you to evolve something like that? In my world the only things that have DNA like that are soulless entities. Since they don't have the will to....Oh...Huh..." 

Leo pauses for a moment before looking back to Rachel "Alright starting to see your point....Hmmm"

"Ethier their souls don't have that function, or they are Sophonts, and considering what we have seen from the party so far, the former is far more likely. They probbly don't have Elemental Delineation in their world ethier"

"Uhgggg, all this physics nonsense is going to give me a headache, the implications of all this is staggering.....More importantly..."

"Everything you just said says that you need sleep."

"How many assistants do you need? I can produce quite a few machines and minions to assist you and have some substances and mana types that should be useful."

Some time after speaking with frigus, Leo found himself looking around carrying some bound papers in his hands. Having found them in the office bookshelf.
Maybe someone on the bus could translate them, since he couldent understand it.

The papers, to anyone who knows Japanese, clearly have the kanji for "Gilgamesh" on the cover.

Eventualy, during his searching, He runs into harry again who points him in Kusuke's direction. Who he promptly sets off to find

Calvera to Harry

Spoiler

Calvera smiled and nodded to Harry. "Yeah, I can't say I've ever really felt cold... maybe it's a bit hard to contain a star, I don't know. I'll let you know if anything feels off!"

With that, she stood, and offered Harry a hug, continuing her smile. Regardless of whether or not Harry reciprocated, she would say "It's nice to see you again, Harry. Hope the rest of your examinations go smooth!" before preceding to decontaminate and leave.

Arminius:

Spoiler

"I see. I've. . . I've got time. So tell me about this, this thing. And the experiment. Maybe we can set you up with a way to do it safely, or in controlled circumstances. Been trying to figure out who's good for what, part of why I'm making these files, so we can coordinate better."

Law:

Spoiler

"Well that's rather interesting, a good method of storage of information I suppose. Any markers are probably due to just encoding information about what you've learned of other species, and your research then, that's a neat idea."

"I don't really know if I'd implement it in myself, because the thought of accidentally activating a segment meant purely for encoding history or knowledge seems a bit. . .well irritating if anything goes wrong. Not something I couldn't handle, but it sounds like a pain in the ass."

Lucine:

Spoiler

"Ah, well, that's good to know. If you get injured or anything, or feel sick or anything, just tell me."

"Otherwise you're good to go."

Alan:

Spoiler

Well, this wasn't the best, but really it wasn't the worst. Some indication of a high mutation rate, but he'd seen that with Kusuke, and there appeared to be some factors at play that would decrease that risk too. The implants, maybe a bit shoddy in terms of the actual physical implementation, he couldn't comment on anything regarding their actual integration with the mans mind, at least not without a few weeks of study he'd guess.

"You're mostly good physically. Bit of extra radiation damage, but there's something keeping it in check. I'll look into it though, just to make sure it isn't gonna tank on you."

Anyway, the man's health state was standard of someone in a not so nice place who'd had consistent access to medical care, just of a particularly shady variety. "Thoughts on the implants Rachel?"

Leo:

Spoiler

"No, I don't need sleep now. I've gone longer on less once or twice; it's not comfortable, but I can stand it, and I know at which points and about how much it impairs me. There's more important things, I don't know how long everyone's going to be here together. This might be the only chance I get to do this for a long time. Sleep comes later."

"Please no assistants. I'd prefer to do something like that with stuff I'm more comfortable with, to be frank. Drones that I understand at least the basics of, people that I understand how to work with, or creatures that I understand the workings of." Though that would be a good idea for something to pursue. If he could hire or make some assistants, that would be extremely useful. Someone or something with a decent amount of technical skill, and perhaps some complimentary abilities. Sure, Leo's assistants might have that, but if he could get something with useful skills different from his own, but that he sort of understood more, that'd be great. Unless the skills were worth the inexplicableness.

"But. Yes please to materials. And if you can, as much information as you can possibly give about each thing. I don't want you assuming that I should know that your stuff turns plastic to mush, or will catch fire if someone whistles particularly badly. I want to know everything.[i/]"

Calvera:

Spoiler

Harry gave her a small pat on the back as the star hugged him, confused, but was perfectly fine with being hugged.

"See you." What Arminius had mentioned regarding her completely slipped his mind.

Law

Spoiler

"Well, yyou don't really get to have biological immortality when there's any room for error left in the DNA."

"It simply isn't possible for that to occur, only Precursor DNA affects the body of a Precursor."

Law has a certain tone he uses when saying that, as though he's been told that himself.

Kusuke (some time after his encounter with Satomi) had set up shop in his own little corner, surrounded by various spare parts and a couple working examples of small Magic Element motors. Engines which continued to frustrate him, for various reasons, not the least of which that he couldn't figure out how to get them to turn off. Sure, wondrous creation of energy from a toxin, great, but an off switch was beyond them. He irritably tossed one of the working examples away from himself, causing it to roll to the feet of someone he wasn't exactly overjoyed to be seeing turning the corner: Leo. "Do you need something?" he asked in a clipped voice.