[IC] TotMV:G^2: Touhou: Twilight of Paradise Butterfly

Chevaleresse

"Of course. I mean, technically you still shouldn't be in the netherworld, but with Lady Yuyuko and Lady Yukari both inviting you in, I don't think anyone will bother you. It'll be nice to talk to someone who knows this kind of stuff." Youmu paused to bite off a surprisingly large chunk of a rice ball while her ghost half made as if it were nibbling at it as well. "There's plenty of people in Gensokyo that will fight you for fun, but not that many people who know how to keep a flower garden. Well, except for Yuuka, but she's. . . well, I don't really recommend that you go and find her. And be polite if you do run into her. She's got a very distinctive air to her."

"Yes, that should be fine. I do expect regular tribute, though."

"She means snacks." Yuyuko nodded.

"Whatever. I'm used to it at this point." Reimu continued to pick at her food, the sullen expression on her face remaining as if carved in stone. "At least you actually thought about it." Yukari gave the miko another concerned glance, but she had other things to deal with at the moment.

The gap youkai stood up, then motioned as if she were pulling back a curtain, except the curtain in this case seemed to be the fabric of reality itself. Beyond was a space not unlike the one they'd first arrived in, full of swirling darkness and eyes that seemed to watch everything. This gap was tall and wide enough to be a doorway. "If you'll allow me to show you to the third of your rewards. Your second, of course, has been entry into the contract for residents. As long as you stay within the rules, no youkai shall be permitted to eat the humans among you. We can continue to speak once we're there."

Walmond

With Yukari's announcement and portal, Walmond rose to his feet, "I'll make sure to keep your warning in mind. Again, I thank you both for the meal and company" he said with a small tilt of the head. With that, Walmond excused himself from the table and conversation, stepping into the recently created doorway with Lambda right behind him, her careful eye being entirely focused on the staring eyes within.

UB-65 closed her notebook and replaced it into the breast pocket of her uniform. She rose from the chair, brushing her uniform of as she did, "Yes, thank you. The food was very pleasing." She turned and followed Walmond through the portal.

IP nodded and stood up from her seat, leaving most of her food untouched (not by her, at any rate), also heading through the portal. "Thank you for assisting us in our mission."

Masako gave a glance at the still-sullen Reimu, then shrugged, popping a few more bits of food into her mouth before finally laying down her chopsticks.  "These were rather good, Konpaku-san.  I'm sure I'll stop by again on some piece of business or another.  But, for now..."

The tengu rose, hopping over next to Yukari to peer into the eldritch mass of the beyond.  She wasn't entirely sure, but she was pretty sure one of the eyes winked at her.  Definitely not sure how she felt about that, or what it was implying either way.  Not that it mattered.  "Well, I suppose I'm curious enough to see what you're planning to drop on the heads of the humans.  Shall we?"

"Oh, it was no trouble at all." Youmu shot a look at Yuyuko, and the attack bounced off of her impressive defenses for no damage with a nearly audible tink. The gardener/cook/swordswoman/half-ghost declined to comment further, however.

There was a brief sensation of falling, if one could feel like they were falling in every direction at once, as the group stepped through the portal. It subsided as soon as it began, though; Yukari had apparently sated her thirst for abusing the group earlier. What waited on the other side, however, seemed. . . less than welcoming.

Ash, dust, and fire hung in the air. Wisps of an unfamiliar, but still hostile-feeling magic flitted about in the air, and the entire place was somehow dank and humid despite the lack of water in sight. Flames seemed to blaze in almost random places, with those spirits circling about them, and spires of rock sprung from both above and below. Still, the place had a sort of forlorn beauty about it; there was enough visibility to see for a fair distance. A palace-like structure sat a long ways off, and it seemed that there was even a town built down here, though their current location wasn't anywhere close to it. "Right, I nearly forgot."

The relative calm was rather abruptly cut short by a passenger train appearing in front of the party before crashing into a nearby stalagmite. Cracks spiderwebbed through the rock and the lead car was thoroughly crushed, but by some miracle the train neither fell over nor crashed into the party itself, instead coming to rest mostly upright and undamaged save for the first two cars. "This place is now yours. Do mind the neighbors, though." Before anyone could respond, Yukari turned and walked through another gap; this one, however, did not close behind her.

Rory hadn't been looking at the train, having busied himself with flipping his coin one last time and very securely hiding it on his person once again, so when a train suddenly drove through and crashed into a wall in front of the group, he jumped back and took a defensive stance low to the ground. Looking around though, and seeing that nothing was attacking, he took the scarf on his armor and raised it over his nose to block the ash as he just looked around.

Upon seeing the crashed passenger train did not appear to have any hostiles within, IP holstered her weapon, and filpped her own coin. After its transformation, it slowly approached the crashed train, looking around inside.

"What do you believe she meant when she said this place was ours? That is not the most precise use of language."

Walmond

For a few moments, Walmond nearly missed Yukari thanks to taking in the scenery, only being snapped out of his examination of what was essentially hell thanks to the sudden train being summoned and crashing into the stalagmite nearby. Thankfully, it was enough to make him pay attention, just as Yukari stepped through her newly created gap and vanished from sight, even though her gap did not.

"Yukari, wait a moment please. There's one thing I need to ask of you" Walmond called out, quickly walking over to the gap and peering inside. Though he didn't enter immediately, he was prepared to do so if he had to, should the gap begin closing or if Yukari simply didn't respond.

IP retrieved the piece of paperwork, giving it a quick read before holding it out for the others to see.

"It seems Yukari has given us the deed to this piece of land. While it is undeveloped at the moment, I'm certain we can make this a place to rest, recover, and prepare between missions... provided we get the proper materials and tools."

Walmond, sticking his head out through the gap, discovers that it leads to neither Yuyuko's nor Yukari's manor. Instead, he sees the back of what appears to be a Shinto shrine of moderate size. Nobody seems to be around at the moment.

He gets the distinct feeling that Yukari can still hear him, though.

Walmond

The place that Walmond found on the other side of the gap was... Not familiar to him personally, but the design was something he could understand. Though without Yukari in sight, there wasn't much reason for him to stick around it seemed. Yet... He felt as if she could still hear him, "... If you can stilll hear me Yukari, I was wondering if you would be willing to create a portal to the Scarlet Devil Manor" Walmond asked to the seemingly empty area, hoping his feeling was correct and that he wasn't just speaking to nothing.

Yukari casually strolled out of the side of the building, her signature inscrutable look on her face once more. A parasol laid lazily across one of her shoulders. "Would I be willing? Perhaps." The youkai appeared pensive for a moment. "You're very bold, you know, asking such a petty favor of a powerful youkai such as myself."

Walmond

"I am well aware of the fact that I am likely overstepping my boundaries" Walmond replied with a short nod of his head, stepping through the gap with Lambda close behind, "Without a doubt, I have nothing to offer, nor do I possess any significant power of my own. But I figured, being as powerful as you are, such a request would be a trivial thing, unless creating your portals had an adverse effect on the world that I did not know about."

Yukari raised an eyebrow. "An interesting manipulation tactic. I would try to find something a bit more novel, next time you have a request of me." She gestured lazily with one hand, and another gap appeared just off to Walmond's right. "Fortunately for you, I'n in a good mood today. Do watch yourself, though. You, too, are an otherworldly threat to my little playground, along with the rest of your group." 

Walmond

"I'll keep that in mind, if I ever need to ask you of something. I'll also make sure not to cause trouble, if I can help it" Walmond replied casually, taking out the coin the yokai had given him and, with a quick flip, changed back into the small form she had been walking around in for most of her time in Gensokyo, "Thank you though. Your help is greatly appreciated" she added with a slight bow, right before she turned and stepped through the gap. Lambda herself mimicked Walmond's bow, albeit with a bit more earnest, right before following her master through the gap, ready and willing to assist with whatever they were planning to do at the Manor.

"This is..."

Masako yoinked the paper from IP's hand, quickly scanning the contents.  Beyond it being written in English (for some reason), and the location, there didn't seem to be anything all that unusual about it.  Assuming that Yukari actually owned this land and was able to give it away (Masako highly doubted it, but that was a separate question from whether there was even anyone down here who would really be actively opposed to their presence and trying to kick them out), then everything appeared to be in order.

"Incredibly dull."  The tengu sighed, folding up the paper and shoving it under her hat.  Sure, this gift of an otherwise useless piece of land was infinitely more important and valuable than it might seem, under the context.  Something some of the others might not properly appreciate, without an explanation she had no intention of giving unasked.  Still, that didn't mean she couldn't be disappointed.  "I was hoping for something a bit more interesting.  A grand fountain of sake, maybe.  Legendary Lunarian artifacts.  Some of those weird outside world books she collects.  Still!  I suppose it is what it is; the oni aren't that far off, from the look of things, so you might have 'close enough' luck with the first one.  Assuming they don't beat you up, anyway."

Shrugging, Masako turned towards the portal, offhandedly waving back to the rest of the group.  "You can camp out here, if you want.  need to take care of a few things before I head back home for the evening.  Just yell if any of you threatening, otherworldly sorts need more petty favors from the gap hag and aren't afraid of her turning you inside out for annoying her too much; she'll be listening in for a while, I'm sure."

And with that, Masako made to hop through the gap.

Rory decided to check out the train for now, trying to see if he could get a door open, or failing that, break a window to get in. Assuming he could do it, he start to work climbing up the impromptu tower to investigate it.

Looking over the rest of the group, IP asked them, "Does anyone have any supplies with which to begin setting up at this location? Anything from construction materials to a tarp would be helpful here..."

If none of them had any supplies with which to begin setup, IP moved over to the portal to make a request of its own. "Miss Yukari? Would it be possible for us to receive some supplies with which to begin setting up a base at this location? I am afraid I have no currency with which to pay for the supplies, I'm afraid..."

Rory

The train is seemingly completely empty, consisting of a long series of passenger cars. He does find a few compartments with storage in them, and a kitchen car. Oddly enough, the electricity is still on.

IP

Seemingly nothing happens, though she could have sworn that one of the eyes in the gap rolled.

Rory nodded to himself before heading down the train again, pausing when he found IP. "Good news, power is on AND there's a kitchen. Which means no need to do a camping cookout. Anyway, I'm gonna go try and find that blacksmith and see what the vouchers I got are all about, maybe see about getting some bedrolls or something."

With someone else informed of where he's going, Rory heads off to do just as he said.