[IC] TotMV:G^2: Touhou: Twilight of Paradise Butterfly

Chevaleresse

Rory

The snake faunus nods, before sighing. "Rory Gilroy. Well, my group set up camp down that way. It's the area with the newly crashed train. If any of you guys want to talk to us that's the best place to check."

Joan and Dani

Dani takes a step back as Joan flies into his hand in weapon form. He takes a knee as he activates his soul sight, trying to get an idea of what they're dealing with.

• 1 month later...

Admittedly, the odd looks were not unmerited.  Humans weren't exactly common guests on the youkai mountain, outside the Moriya Shrine--they certainly weren't regular sights in the lands where the tengu made their home.  Even for someone as famously eccentric as Masako, bringing them here was rather strange.

Not that Masako seemed overly worried about it, if she cared about the staring at all.  She seemed content just to wave at a few familiar faces as the unusual group walked or flew on by, while she lead them to...

Well, who knew where?  It was probably becoming increasingly clear, by now, that the tengu settlement was a bit more complicated than it seemed from the outside.  She seemed to know where she was going, anyway.  And for now, it seemed to be somewhere further up the side of the mountain, crossing several steep roads and more than a few bridges to reach and doing little to lessen the likely impression that the settlement planning didn't really have typical human sensibilities in mind.  Still, long as the climb up the winding path might have been, it did have a few perks.  Amongst them, the view of the small but bustling youkai town layered along and built into cliffs surrounding but a few of the many waterfalls for which the Youkai Mountain was known.   It was a curious mix of nature and artifice, traditional architecture interspersed with electrical lighting and more modern--if unusual--structures and contrivances worked in throughout the trees.  The denizens walked or flew to and fro about their business, several moving from small shop to printing house to shop in what appeared to be a market somewhere below, or stopping by one larger building or another that may have been either an office, a meeting hall, or a sake house depending on your best guess.

To all of this, Masako paid no particular heed.  Indeed, it wasn't terribly long after the last bridge that she stopped, gesturing to a stairway carved into the side of the cliff.  "Well?  Do hurry up.  My house is just up here, and I'm sure I'll have someone stopping by soon."

• 2 weeks later...

Muenzuka

The nature of the soul Dani sees is hostile, a natural enemy of humanity not unlike a witch. . . or fouler creatures. As they watch, the orb of inky darkness continues to float silently through the air, eclipsing a tree. . . then softly bouncing away from it with a small thump and a pained squawk. 

The Palace of Earth Spirits

"Train. . .?" She looked confused for a moment, before realization seemed to strike her. "Oh, it's Yakumo again, isn't it? I'm not even going to ask, it'll save me the headache." Rin shook her head. "Anyway, good luck. Try not to get stabbed by Koishi or ripped up by one of the oni, we don't really need the corpses any more."

The Streets of a Former Hell

"No, no, I made a promise. I'm keeping my word." The large woman did seem to be somewhat placated by IP's backtracking, however, even if she remained overall irritable. "Learn to fight properly and you won't have to piss people off like that. So name what you want."

Youkai Mountain

The dwelling of the best detective in the party (the fact that she was the only detective in the party not being noted) would have been remarkable elsewhere. As it was, it managed to blend into its surroundings, looking mostly like a traditional Japanese home save for an array of plate glass windows that could have been stolen out of an office high-rise, a few vents that appeared to be connected to a steam system, and something suspiciously resembling a radio antenna adorning one point of the roof. An array of balconies and stairways spread out to the nearby buildings, providing easy access to the porches and walkways of the nearby structures.

For a moment, IP seemed to be at a loss for words upon Yuugi's insistence, but nodded, retrieving the shield she offered.

"I, actually... A large part of my mission will involve combat, and I cannot rely on one set of strategies or tactics to succeed. While I wasn't able to witness its full power firsthand... I can sense that your fighting style could be useful in my mission. If you'd be willing, Hoshiguma Yuugi..."

IP bowed deeply, upper body nearly perpendicular to the ground.

"Would you teach me how to fight?"

• 2 weeks later...

Osada

"Hm, nice place, Must've taken a while to get the money for it huh?" Osada commented, whistling as they stopped at the detective's home.  Truth be told, he didn't much mind the odd looks the resident gave him, he got that enough back in his old world no matter where he went, be it in the Mage community or from ordinary people. After all, he wasn't exactly a normal human. If anything, he just felt glad to be continuing his exploration of what life had to offer, and being allowed to see the sights of a place normally locked off from his kind was rather enjoyable.

Agile though she was, Isobel's build betrayed the fact that she really was not much of an endurance person, focused mostly on bursts of agility than she was doing things like walking long distances. After all, on a compact space station where she mostly just stood around and carefully tended plants except for during occasional bursts of hellish violence, one of those things was much more valuable than the other! Still, eventually, she made it up to Masako's house, dutifully ignoring all the strange looks and their potential consequences, though she was huffing and puffing juuuust a little by the time she finally made it over. She was able to speak fine after a gulp of air, though. "Well, this is certainly an interesting place you've got here." She didn't mean it sarcastically - the eclectic fusion gave it a quirky air of fusion between the mechanical and the natural/traditional, something she often experienced whenever she had a coworker botanist who was committed to decoration with wood and grass in the middle of a space station, which did sometimes happen. "Iiiii don't suppose you feel like mentioning who it is you're expecting?"

• 1 month later...

Dani and Joan

After a few tense, then not so tense moments of watching the orb, the human of the pair shrugs and leaves his battle stance as he begins walking on once more. Joan doesn't leave Shotgun form, feeling the less than calm grip of her partner tell her that he'd rather be ready to fight.

Rory

Rory nods. "And to tell the truth, I'd rather not be stabbed or ripped apart. Anyway, it was fairly pleasant meeting you. Hopefully if we meet again I won't have been stabbed!" With a cheery wave Rory begins to trek back to where the group had originally ended up in the area.

"Oh, not terribly.  I've made sure to put a bit away ever since the war, and even with the additions this merited less than a century's work--though I suppose I did call in a favor or two for some of those."    Masako landed before the entry to her home, kicking off her getas and tossing them off to the side as soon as she slid open the door.  Without so much as a gesture to the others, she headed on in--though at the very least, her voice called back from inside as they approached.  "As for who I'm expecting, I don't expect that you'd know her.  But she's an old friend of mine, so I'm quite sure you'll get along, probably."

Following Masako to the door, anyone who peeked inside would see it was... surprisingly rather simple.  A few tasteful decorations, certainly--a scroll on the wall here, a flower there, a low table and a few comfortable cushions near the center--but nothing excessive.  It actually seemed rather pleasant and open.  Of course, this ended roughly as soon as the tengu opened the next door into what looked like the workroom of a particularly industrious antiquarian, but, you know.  Presumably one had to keep their selections of scrolls and books, their swords and spears and elegant armor, and their emaki and other illustrations which looked like someone might have plucked them from the palace or tomb of a long-dead warlord, most of which featured depictions of tengu according to the traditional style and others which seemed much more akin to the strange girl in front of the group.

One of these she brushed aside--a rather elaborate work featuring some human warrior climbing a mountain as one of these tengu sat on a sacred stone above them, presumably a design of human make--and pulled a bottle out from the wall before turning back to the others.   "Oh, back to the other room.  Sit down.  I'll warm something up to drink while we wait."

"Oh, of course, just 80 years or so of concentrated work, nothing much really." Isobel couldn't help but laugh warmly enough that it surprised her - even despite all the bird had made her want to tear her hair out in this world sometimes, it was bizarrely a little charming to see her just be... well, Isobel supposed that the phrasing that came to mind was "casually immortal". That said, she couldn't help but quirk her eyebrow a little at some of Masako's other words. "I don't suppose this kind of "get along" is long-term, the "after wacky and almost-violent misunderstandings" kind, is it? I get the feeling that that sort of thing happens a lot in Gensokyo."

Still, Isobel did stop complaining long enough to follow Masako through her house. Although Isobel approved of the decor of Masako's house on the whole (she was always a sucker for these kinds of cozy atmospheres), her jaw dropped briefly at the sea of artifacts and art and literature Masako had at her disposal. Yukari, being able to casually pluck things out of dimensions, seemed to Isobel to have a pretty simple means of gathering her collection, but Masako's... well, even with being very old, it spoke to her of a very storied like.

Still, she picked her jaw up off the ground and chose somewhere to try and sit that wouldn't be too disruptive - Isobel really did not want to be responsible for destroying an ancient relic - especially, since, er, well, she was maybe not quite the lightest person for her height. At least all that bullet-and-laser-and-explosion-honed grace of hers could be used to very carefully choose where to place her feet, and her rear. "I admit that that sounds very nice, Masako. I haven't had something good to drink in forever... maybe I should see if I can source some wine grapes sometime and start growing in the castle, ha ha."

Muenzuka

The orb takes several moments to begin moving again, and Dani swears he can hear the voice of someone grumbling under their breath for a moment as it does. However, it falls silent as it begins to move at them once again, going slightly greater than walking speed.

"Hmph. You've got a lot of nerve, but at least you know to bow and scrape when you screw it this bad." Yuugi shakes her head, muttering a muted "Yare yare" under her breath. "I'm not going to give you a full course of training based on one little bet, but maybe I'd be willing to beat the shit out of you more than once if you can make it interesting enough. So pick something specific you want to learn, and I'll show you a trick."

Masako's House

A muffled thump echoes from somewhere upstairs, toward the middle of the tengu's abode. The distinct noise of something fragile falling on someone's head and narrowly avoiding breakage because of this cushion reaches the ears of all the occupants.

IP nodded, standing back up from where she had previously been bowing. "Can you teach me how to reduce an enemy's defenses, or increase the amount of damage an enemy receives? I already have the ability to increase the damage my allies inflict, but it may be more efficient to weaken an enemy's defenses instead."

Once again, Dani holds for a bit, starting to drop into his stance with a glare. Then with a sigh the meister relaxes and instead starts approaching the orb. Sensei said no reaping and he wasn't about to get in trouble of his own volition even if it went against everything his gut was screaming at him.

Isobel winced at the sounds of crashing upstairs, and mentally prepared herself to make a dive (or... something like a dive but less... dive-y) to catch something should it inevitably be knocked down in here - she really couldn't stand to see art be potentially damaged by some little incident of clumsiness. "Should we go up there, maybe? Or are we just waiting for your friend to come on down?"

"We'll wait for her down here."  Masako returned to the room, carrying a large ceramic bottle and a precariously balanced set of masu.  These latter she set out on the table before her guests, filling each in turn to the rim with a warm, clear sake from the bottle, then setting it upon the table with an ease suggesting a form of well-worn ritual.  Pulling the boxes close, even the humans could tell that the liquor within was both high quality, and perhaps unreasonably strong--more than enough to set one's eyes to watering, if they were unprepared, and doubly so given the sheer volume she'd opted to pour out for each of them.   While they handled that in whatever way they saw fit, their host walked over to a corner of the room, rifling through what was, depending on who you asked, either a pile of old junk or a collection of nigh priceless artifacts.  "When she arrives, anyway.   That isn't her."

"In any case, when she does get here, I'm sure there won't be any trouble.  So long as you don't attack her, at any rate.  She always seems rather exasperated when-  Ah!  Here we are."  From a half-concealed rack against the wall, Masako lifted what appeared to be a large, iron, and viciously spiked tetsubo.  The tengu herself had to use her wings just to have a chance of lifting it, though this didn't seem to concern her overmuch.  There was the distinct impression that, excessively heavy or not, she was perfectly capable of using it somehow.  "Now, if you'll excuse me for a moment, I'll be back shortly."

And with that, Masako took the tetsubo and flew off to the room above.  

"Sure." Yuugi thinks for a moment, then before IP knows it, they've been knocked stumbling backward with a powerful shoulder check. "That work?"

IP isn't really sure they understand why, but they feel like this did actually help. . . somehow.

Muenzuka

The orb continues to move toward Dani. It picks up speed, seemingly colliding with the reaper-in-training - but this simply turns their surroundings nearly pitch blank. Within the darkness is a girl with blonde hair, red eyes, and a black-and-white outfit. A ribbon - or was it a talisman? - adorns her head. "Oh. A human." She floats in midair with her arms straight out to her sides. "Are you from around here?"

Masako's House

She ascends to the upper floor to see a familiar-looking black-and-white outfit occupied by an entirely unfamiliar-looking figure, and one that would probably be nice if it weren't rubbing the back of its head and groaning. The strange blue-haired woman turns at the sound of Masako fluttering upward, then freezes at the sight of the rather intimidating club. "Hey, umm. . . I don't suppose you're the type to not crack my skull with that before I have a chance to explain?"

The air hums with magical energy.

"Oh, no need.  You're clearly an alien, alternative universe counterpart of Kirisame Marisa who has been transported through mysterious magical means to this one for some purpose, likely related to the ongoing conflict against the things they keep calling trespassers.  Charmed, I'm sure."  Masako lifts the tetsubo.  "But I do feel l have some obligation to inform you that one black-white witch thief is probably enough on a per-gensokyo basis.  I didn't build this collection of mostly-stolen junk just to have a bunch of the same someone rob it.  So, in that regard... please hold still."

The tengu started winding up for what promised to be a very, very heavy thwumping.

"Still, you do have a moment to correct any misconceptions.  It takes me a bit to swing this thing."

Dani looks the little girl over a bit before shaking his head. "No. I'm here on the orders of Lord Death, I'm... Well, I'm trying to find the human village, should be meeting up with someone there I guess." The gun carrying meister shrugs, using Joan's barrel to scratch his head as he speaks. "I don't suppose you're going to... attack me and trying to eat me or something along those lines?"

Sitting downstairs and restlessly (albeit very very carefully) bouncing her leg up and down, Isobel tilted her head a bit, trying to catch a bit of sound the events of upstairs, wondering what Masako had brought that big iron club upstairs for. Staying very quiet and listening very closely, Isobel just managed to catch the scraps of words through the ceiling - maddeningly, not enough to actually make out the sentences being spoken, but enough to hear the voices and their tones. There was Masako, of course, and quite a few words from her, as one would expect... and then sounding very much nervous was a familiar voice... a very familiar voice... a very, v- Isobel's eyes snapped open. That was Marisa (the one who hadn't thrown a bunch of stars at her).

...and Masako had gone up there with that big club. "Oh SHIT!" Isobel bolted to her feet, barely even taking a moment to cause something probably priceless from rolling off a shelf with the back of her hand, and then she ran as fast as she could out of the room, with little jumps and hops and shimmies as she tried her best not to cause a trail of destruction. And then she made it into a more open section of the building, and realized there were no stairs. "Oh, fuck, she FLIES. Uh-" She looked up the walls, took a deep breath and leapt, scrambling up the walls with a combination of bizarre agility and adrenaline, with jumps and hauls up the walls - she couldn't look down if she just didn't look back!

Eventually, Isobel burst into the room with question - if there had been stairs it would have been with an artful, athletic roll, but instead in their absence she staggered through, already beginning to sweat heavily, gasping for air and leaning on the doorway. "MASAKO!" Huff, huff... she pointed at Masako, with an insisting wave of the finger pointed in the tengu's direction, "Don't... for the love of... God... don't kill my date."

IP

IP moved her body about, trying to understand what exactly had been done to her, but she somehow knew that Yuugi's strike had made her stronger. Bowing yet again, IP said, "Once again, thank you. Perhaps when there is time available, we can have a proper duel." One where I do not cheat, IP decided not to say. She looked over to the others, wondering if they had anything else to say to Yuugi.

There was a long, silent pause.

"...I'm not going to kill her," said the tengu, reproachfully.  Her body was currently coiled like a baseball player about to smash one out of the park.   How trustworthy those words were might have been doubtful, particularly given what she followed it up with.  "Just break a bone or two.  And give her a moderate concussion.  She'll be fine, probably.  If hopefully a bit more aware of the social and physical consequences of dimension hopping into someone's home uninvited while they're entertaining guests.  And of being Marisa, I guess."    

The finger that was currently pointing at Masako redoubled its insistent jabbing, waving back and forth as rapidly as Isobel could manage while her chest was still heaving from the gasping breaths she was taking (Isobel doubted she'd ever moved vertically upwards faster in her life). "No! No- no maybe-maiming... maybe-killing... my girlfriend... either! Oh, God." Isobel put the hand down and put both her hands on her thighs above her knees for a moment, catching her breath. Wiping a lock of wet hair way from her face and back up into her bandana, she reached into the green bag hanging near her hip from her shoulder, rummaging around. "I'll- throw an apple at you if I can find one! Or, uh... a flower! Or, uh... spray a... non-toxic pesticide at you! Or something!"  She deflated. "Oh my God don't brain my girlfriend."

• Like 1

Osada

For the most part, Osada remained as a diligent house guest, raising his eyebrow at the large amount of sake, barely taking heed of the muffled thumping upstairs and of both Masako's departure. Though, in the midst of taking a drink of the rich sake, Osada did note Isobel moving, largely due to how fast and abrupt it was, coupled with the noise caused by a woman scrambling to a second floor without the help of stairs. He was fairly impressed, he would admit, moves like that weren't easy to pull off.

After a few moments though, Osada let out a sigh, standing up from the table and, pouring another cup of sake for himself, walked over to the gap in the ceiling, taking another sip as he listened to the voices above him.

The world was certainly full of interesting people, that was for sure.

"Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..."  There was another long pause.   "Fine."

Masako uncoiled, hucking the tetsubo back to the opening between floors.  Given how relaxed she was as she wiped her hands of it after while they listened to the sound of the heavy, spiked iron bar slamming into the floor--mere centimeters from clocking Osada right atop the head, and fewer from crushing his foot--there was the distinct impression that she might not have really intended to use the thing from the start.  The question of whether that impression was true, of course, would likely go unanswered.

"Sake?" she asked her new guest, as casually as if the threat of bludgeoning hadn't been hanging over the latter's head mere moments before.  "We were already having some downstairs, and even if I wasn't planning to open up a bottle or two more, you humans are always terribly light drinkers."

Osada

Still taking yet another sip of sake, Osada barely flinched when the tetsubo slammed into the ground beside him, merely giving it a glance before letting out a sigh, bending down and picking up the iron weapon with one hand and moving it back to where Masako had first retrieved it. Best to keep things where they needed to be after all, and Osada wasn't going to be a rude houseguest and let the place be trashed even further.

Masako's House

The unexpected guest glanced between Isobel and Masako, frozen for several moments otherwise before she slowly straightened out. "Um. Anyway. Hi Isobel." The feeling of magical tension in the air faded. "Sake would be nice, yes. And, er, yes, I'm Marisa, but I don't think I'm the Marisa you're thinking of. Probably. Look, I didn't mean to steal that last one. How was I supposed to know that the creepy dusty dungeon was actually a sacred temple?" She shook her head. "And besides, you wouldn't even have heard of that, that was, uh, somewhere else. I just got here. I was in a little bit of a hurry." Marisa sighed.

"Anyway. That's not really relevant. Normally I'd apologize for almost breaking your stuff, but then you accused me of being an interdimensional thief and a version of someone you apparently don't like from another universe. Given the sake, I think that just makes it even again." She turned to Isobel, exasperated expression changing to something much less irritable. "So how have you been? I see you've made friends with the local. . ." Brass-like eyes darted to Masako, obviously deciding what terminology to apply to the tengu. "Residents." 

Muenzuka.

"Is that so?" She floated up a tad, spinning once in place while maintaining her pose. "I've been feeling a little hungry, I guess, but you seem like a lot of effort. You're not dying of a horrible disease or trying to kill yourself right now, are you?" It didn't sound like the girl really thought that was happening, but her tone was hopeful regardless. "The last human I ran into around here that seemed like they were dying just sorta hit me on the head and ran away."