[IC] TotMV:G^2: Touhou: Twilight of Paradise Butterfly

Chevaleresse

Ignoring the (admittedly entirely true) comment from Momiji, in complete and uncharacteristic silence, Masako reached one hand into her jacket.  From this she extracted a large, rolled up bundle of some sort of paper, unknown within Gensokyo proper.  The world seemed to hush as she gripped it in both hands, carefully unfurling it for the miko to view it and the image so elegantly crafted within.

An image depicting a man wearing green power armor with a yellow-gold visor, backlit by an alien sunrise.

"Here," said Masako, handing it over.  "You like this sort of stuff, right?"

Osada

Unfortunately for the Homunculi, Momiji took advantage of his split second opening, three sword slashes breaking what little remained of his guard and sending him to the ground. It took a few seconds of staring for Osada to properly process what just occurred, but once he did, he simply laughed, "And here I thought I stood a decent chance, though if you've seen the style before, then it's not much of a surprise" Osada commented as he pushed himself off the ground, sheathing his twin swords. Admittedly, he couldn't fully understand what Momiji meant by 'he looked familiar', seeing as he was a rather unique Homunculi, rather than one of the mass produced variants. Though, since she was familiar with Niten Ichi-ryū, then it was likely that she was sensing the Heroic Spirit housed within him.

... Hopefully not, that would lead to explanations that he would rather not get into.

"No, I just wanted to see how well I stacked compared to the local competition. My research has found that I am woefully lacking in experience, so I'll have to begin rectifying that. Thank you for indulging in my request" he answered, giving Momiji a bow before turning back to the detective, botanist, and shrine maiden. He was planning to send a characteristic shrug towards Sanae due to his crushing defeat, but he instead found himself raising an eyebrow at the poster Masako possessed.

Hakugyoukurou

The girl jumped, her hand darting to one of her swords, but fortunately there was no comically exaggerated defensive response directed at the two would-be interlopers. "Ah! Oh, wait, more living people?" The girl frowned at the two, in particular the Death Weapon. "You seem. . . mostly like humans. Are you with that other bunch that just came through? I don't recognize you."

Rory

The faunus looks a bit confused at that last part, but eventually nods. Sounds like he hit the nail right on the head with his assessment. "It's definitely possible... So does she normally uh... stab people she just met? It's not that I mind over much, I can heal pretty quick, but... Weird first impression."

Dani and Joan

Dani put an arm in front of Joan protectively as the girl went for her sword, but when no hostility beyond that was forthcoming he let it drop. Seeing how she looked at the pair, and how given how she described them, Dani cleared his throat. "I'm Dani, and this is Joan. Meister and Demon Weapon, if you want to be specific. Anyway, if they kind of blundered along without apparently knowing how to get where they needed to go, then yeah we're supposed to be with them.... I see it's not a good time though so if you just point us in the right direction we won't bother you Miss...?" Dani trails off questioningly as Joan takes a more active interest in the saplings in the fire, tilting her head in confusion at why someone would burn saplings.

IP nodded, looking to its allies before doing a quick bow in front of Yuugi.

"If you would forgive me for my... impudence... I have a request to make. I am still unaccustomed to combat, and would appreciate the chance to further calibrate my systems. May the two of us have one of the spell card duels this place has?"

UB-65 walked over and took a seat on a sizable rock near the two and took out her notebook and pencil that was nearing the end of its life. She looked at IP, "If you two want to fight, then go ahead." She looked to both of them, "Just no killing or maiming or whatever it is those spell cards do."

She looked to her side and motioned as if she wanted someone to sit next her, before finding the next blank page of her notebook. I hope I don't have to step in. Please, I really dont want to step in.

Isobel Low

Isobel mostly just stuck her hands in her pockets and waited as the newcomer had (and handily lost, reinforcing Isobel's desire not to antagonize the youkai of this mountain unnecessarily) his spar, and as Masako dealt with the shrine maiden here. At this point in time, she didn't really find that there was much she could do. "Is there somewhere you have planned for us to go next, Masako, like your home or something? I'm finding myself kind of extraneous here."

LOTUS

"If she wishes to indulge you in this spell-card battle, I am not going to prevent you from having it. Gaining more familiarity with this world can only be a positive, especially if we're going to be having a recurring presence here." LOTUS began the process of climbing down from IP's shoulder, before electing to just jump down and furiously flutter her wings in an attempt to slow down... which succeeded, after a couple of feet of perilous freefall in which LOTUS may have yelped a little. "A-ahem. I intend to watch rather than participate, however."

Empi stretches her arms out casually, groaning. She needed a nice massage. If you could even get one anywhere in the multiverse; it wasn't as if masseurs left business cards that told you what universes they live in or gave discounts on you depending on what day of the solar cycle it happened to be.
"Same here, Isobel. There anywhere a girl can get something to drink? A girl needs the hard stuff."

The Streets of a Former Hell

"That is how a spell card duel works, yeah," Yuugi said, rolling her eyes at UB-65's comment. "I'm not gonna break you in half just 'cause I can." She turned her head back to IP. "And yeah, I'm always up for a fight. I sorta figured you'd try to get something out of it other than bruises, though. You wanna bet something on it? I'll even say that I have to fight without spilling any sake." The oni produced a sake dish from somewhere and waved it about demonstratively, before pouring herself a bit and taking a sip.  "Although, the way that fairy's talking, it sounds like the fight itself is the reward." The woman didn't actually shrug, but her expression communicated the same emotion regardless.

Youkai Mountain 

Sanae gasped in excitement at the poster, almost immediately making grabby hands at it. "Ooh, where did you get that? I never see anything that new in Gensokyo, it's been so long. Is that a limited edition, too? I'm pretty sure it is." The miko realized that she was being a bit too excitable after a moment, and forced her expression and posture into a state with a bit more decorum before taking it. "I'll have to take this back up to the shrine before I go over to Hakurei, though. With her luck, you never know what's going to happen."

Momiji simply replied to Osada with a polite bow before wandering off, presumably to resume her game of shogi. 

Hakugyoukurou

"Konpaku Youmu." She gave a quick, yet deep bow before continuing. "I don't know if there's really a good time for humans to be in the Netherworld, but now isn't really a bad-bad time. I'm just dealing with the aftermath of the latest incident is all." The girl side-eyed the saplings in the bonfire, as if they could leap out and attack at any moment. "Nothing to worry about, really."

The Palace of Earth Spirits

The catgirl scratched her head. "I don't know if she usually does, but it sounds like something she might do. Koishi is. . . well, I don't really want to call her dangerous, but she is. She doesn't mean anything by it. Well, she can't, really, I'm not even sure she can hold a grudge." She sighed. "Sorry you had to deal with that."

Dani and Joan

Joan gives her a thumbs up as she looks for something to poke at the fire with, before giving up and going back over to Dani. She leans on him heavily, but after the initial budge the meister seems to ignore it. "Well, if it's not a bad time, it would be nice to have a guide out of here and to... wherever it is those other guys went. I'm gonna be honest, Lord Death kind of... dropped this case in our laps and we only got some explanation after arriving. But yeah, any help getting where we should be would be great."

Rory

Rory waves off the apology, pulling up his shirt to show the already mostly faded stab mark with a bit of a smirk. "Don't worry, I heal quickly! Besides, not the first time I've been stabbed by someone on our first meeting... Nor is it the first time the stabber was a girl about that age. Anyway, it's fine, I don't mind it."

IP frowned, shaking its head at the offer to bet something. "I'm afraid I have little of value that I am willing to risk in this fight, Miss..." the android trailed off for a moment as it realized something.

"You speak as though you've fought that way before," IP said, removing its shield and showing it to her. "I'm uncertain the exact value any equipment of mine would have to you, but  I am willing to risk something. If I win, please teach me your knowledge of fighting - especially relating to fighting in the manner you described. If I lose, you may have this shield. It's a Kaida Corporation Viking Riot Shield - capable of offering a degree of protection against attacks of various kinds, including ballistic weapons and explosives. It's also light enough to be used in combination with a weapon such as a PDW, while remaining heavy enough to be a weapon in its own right. Is this an acceptable wager?"

"It's a mystery," Masako said, mysteriously.  Despite refusing to explain anything, she at least seemed rather pleased by Sanae's reaction as the miko took the poster.  "I'm sure it won't go too terribly.  Or, if it does, I won't be the one blamed for it."

"Anyway-"  Masako stretched her wings a bit, glancing further up and off the mountain path.  "Inubashiri appears to be gone, so yes, we'll head back home.  Do be sure to pick up the pace some; she seemed a bit serious about me stopping in to report, this time.  More than usual, at least. And I do still need to drag Yayachan into meeting you, or she'll be upset I left her out of things."

The tengu tilted her head, glancing over at the newly-arrived swordsman.  "...You can come too, I suppose.  Do you know how to fly, yet?  If not, I suppose so long as you're a decent mountain climber, you might be able to make it anyway.  And I'm sure someone can find a use or two for you until I have a new case."

Then, without so much as waiting for a response, Masako continued on her merry way along the mountain to her home.

Osada

Once the detective turned her attention towards him, Osada finally gave off his casual shrug, "the art of flying still eludes me, but I happen to be more than capable of climbing a few mountains" he commented, ignoring the fact that she decided to just add him to her group of two. He didn't mind, it might've been good company, and he had a whole new world to explore. Really, she was just giving him an excuse, which was more than enough for him.

Yuugi raised an eyebrow. She appraised the shield visually for a moment, before apparently making some kind of conclusion and chuckling. "Sure. I guess it'll make a nice wall decoration, or something." She made a sideways gesture at Lotus and UB-65. "You two might want to get out of the way." After waiting for them to move, she floated up off the ground slightly as she turned to IP. "You know, you've got some serious stones just challenging one of the Four Devas like this," the oni said approvingly. "Now, let's see if you've got anything to actually back it up."

IP: Healthy

Yuugi: Healthy, Stable Sake

Initiative:

IP: First

Yuugi: Last

Hakugyoukurou

Youmu watched Joan suspiciously, but switched back to Dani as the former gave up on her search to disturb the definitely-not-evil fire that certainly wasn't throwing up odd shadows. "I've been out and about all day, so I'm not sure I can really leave. There's a lot of work to catch up on in the garden. If you just continue on the road directly away from the Sanzu, though, you'll eventually cross back into the world of the living. I don't think that will be a problem?"

The redhead raised an eyebrow.  "You get stabbed by random girls a lot? You must be quite the charmer."

Dani and Joan

Dani nods. "Alright, well, thanks for the directions. Maybe we'll meet up later if the stars align but... well, this place kind of looks like a bummer to be in, no offense." Dani holds out a hand for Joan to return to weapon mode, which she does with a twirl before being shouldered by her wielder. Assuming the girl didn't have anything else for them to respond to, the pair started heading down the road they were directed towards and hopefully to their ultimate destination.

Rory

Rory starts to say something, before stopping himself and shrugging. "I'd uh, prefer not to talk about it right now.... So... should I just leave or...?" It's pretty apparent that Rory would like any distraction from that topic for some reason.

IP nodded and said nothing, merely standing with its Riotshield and Auto 9/45 aimed at her. Though Yuugi couldn't see it, IP's systems were already active, scanning the oni for what places could be most easily hit, and what could be hit the hardest...

IP uses Aim Assist on itself! Its next attack will inflict a critical hit for triple damage (increased from double due to Memory Module: Target Cracker)!

HP: 72/72

0/20 HARM

0/20 HEAL

Methadone: READY

Emergency Response: READY

Weapon Guidance: READY

Aim Assist: READY

Auto 9/45: READY 4/4 BURSTS LEFT

Tomahawk: READY

Character Sheet:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AmfnfA_EeqdBmeZyqxIuu0aZRg9lFZ4LJm6cKOXupbY/edit?usp=sharing

IP uses Aim Boost, preparing to fire. 

Meanwhile, the oni takes a single "step" forwards. Though her foot strikes nothing, it feels as if the earth is shaking regardless. Layers of bullets in twisting circles spring to life ahead and behind IP, threatening to trap her in place. . .

IP: Aim Assist, First Step

Yuugi: Healthy, Stable Sake

Initiative:

IP: First

Yuugi: Last

Hakugyoukurou

Youmu simply shrugged, going back to her gardening as the pair headed out.

Eventually, they found themselves at Muenzuka; they could feel the hostile spirits permeating the air in the field of unmarked graves. Fortunately, a sign nearby pointed towards a few places, including the Human Village, the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and a place called Kourindou.

"Probably? Satori's not much for visitors." The catgirl pursed her lips thoughtfully. "But. . . if you see Koishi again, and you're still in Hell, let me know." 

Youkai Mountain

The tengu settlement on Youkai Mountain was likely an odd sort of thing to an outsider. It was walled off and patrolled by a number of wolf tengu (who watched the individuals trailing Masako suspiciously.) Though the walls may well have come from a castle in feudal Japan, there were more modern structures visible past them, or at least things that looked a bit like modern factories. However, the group didn't get much of a view before they were halted some distance away from the gate by a rather tired-looking guard, whose ears kept drooping regardless of his efforts to keep them pricked and alert. "What. . . Chichimura, why do you have two humans with you? Did you miss the 'closed to outsiders' memo somehow?" She didn't recognize this individual and their exhausted speech; the wolf tengu probably knew her by reputation. The dark-maned individual halfheartedly flapped his arms at the people in question. "Shoo."

IP's aim was carefully calibrated, and the android seemed unfazed by the bullets surrounding it. It suddenly aimed its pistol at Yuugi's sake bowl and let off a burst - perfectly timed and aimed such that each shot of the Auto 9/45 would strike the bowl.

IP attacks Yuugi's sake bowl with its Auto 9/45, dealing (6d4+7)*3 damage to it! This attack ignores the target's DR and cannot miss or be dodged!

HP: 72/72

0/20 HARM

0/20 HEAL

Methadone: READY

Emergency Response: READY

Weapon Guidance: READY

Aim Assist: COOLING DOWN - 0/3 TURNS LEFT

Auto 9/45: READY 4/4 BURSTS LEFT

Tomahawk: READY

Character Sheet:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AmfnfA_EeqdBmeZyqxIuu0aZRg9lFZ4LJm6cKOXupbY/edit?usp=sharing

Dani and Joan

Dani and Joan, not wanting to stay in the area very long for obvious reasons, decides to head for the place that seems least likely to get them in trouble, the Human Village.

Rory

Rory nods and prepares to walk off, before pausing and turning back to the cat. "I don't suppose you have a phone or... some other way to contact you.... Also, I never asked your name did I?"

• 2 weeks later...

Isobel Low

Isobel just shrugged widely, looking at Masako... before another thought occurred to her and her shoulders drooped as she considered it. (The sigh wasn't audible, but it definitely was visible.) "Masako, at this point I feel it's important I ask a question: if you have some plan figured out where I end up in here... do... well... am I just going to end up getting stabbed by somebody inside as a matter of course anyway? Because, well... I would very much like to avoid that. I suppose there is the whole spellcard system, but I'm... I'm more than a little bit tired of getting battered around here. I do not want to get beaten up again."

LOTUS

LOTUS had had no objections to the idea of getting out of the way of the battle, having performed a weird little backwards wing-flapping jump-trot to get well clear of the battle -- a decision immediately rewarded when a great deal of danmaku proceeded to fill up the space around IP. But there was one thing this denizen of Hell had said that ended up gathering LOTUS' interest. So, hands cupped around her mouth, the foot-tall fAIry rose her voice to be heard over the sounds of the ongoing spellcard duel. "Hey! You said you're one of the "four devas"? Excuse my unfamiliarity, but I assume that means that you are a figure of some importance in Hell?"

"Oh.  You shouldn't.  I assume, anyway.  It's mostly only the defense force that picks fights, after all, and they're not who we're here to meet.  Speaking of, as for you-" Masako flew up to the guard without any concern for the others watching the group.  Landing before the weary-looking wolf, she gave him a Look that would send fear through the heart of any sane tengu.  Or even most insane people, human or youkai, provided they had interacted with Masako before.  "They are my guests.  I should think that more than merits ignoring the order, shouldn't you?  Certainly it's more than enough reason not to bother us about it.  Besides-"

The crow leaned over, looking into the eyes of the wolf.  Then she reached a hand out.

Then she flicked his nose.

"They have information that might be relevant to the boss, and I can hardly be bothered to explain it all myself."  Nor was she likely able to.  Brilliant detective or not, it wasn't as if she had all the information on the trespassers that the others did.  "So go ahead and let us in, before I tell Inubashiri you were sleeping on the job.  Cute or not, I doubt she'll take kindly to it."

• 2 weeks later...

Osada

For his part, Osada was barely paying attention to the wolf tengu and the detective's talk, instead gazing at the Tengu Settlement itself. It was an odd blend of feudalism and modernism, what with the traditional walls and what seemed like factories within them. It was an oddity, yet that made it somewhat interesting to look at. Of course, even when focused on admiring the architecture, Osada's gaze shifted back to the conversation once the word 'stabbed' was dropped, just as Masako flew up to the weary guard to handle their entry. Not that he would've done it himself, seeing as he was practically being dragged around right about now,

"I take it you have a pretty bad reputation when it comes to getting into fights, eh?" the swordsman commented towards Isobel, taking note of her inaudible sigh, "I'd see it as a blessing, but only because I actually like it. You don't strike me as the girl to enjoy matching blades."

The shot cleanly struck the dish. Rather than shattering, it popped off into the air and flipped end over end. Yuugi dashed to catch it before it fell into an errant lava flow, but the sake within was all gone. She turned back to IP with a glower. "I take back what I said. Typical human." She stalked back toward IP; one couldn't help but notice that the earth itself seemed to shake with each step. Once she was back within normal conversation distance, she turned to answer Lotus. "It means I'm one of the four most powerful oni in Japan. And I could fold the other ones in half if I wanted to." Yuugi returned her glare to IP. "So, clever hero, now that you've triumphed over the brutish oni with your superior intellect, what do you want me to teach you, specifically?"

Youkai Mountain

The guard gave Masako a put-upon look as he rubbed at his nose. "I wasn't sleeping," he said with a pout. "If I get in trouble for letting humans in, then you're the one who's going to have to deal with Inubashiri, not me." He pressed a button as he slunk away to patrol another section of the wall; the gate groaned open ahead of the party. It wasn't quite shocked silence waiting for them on the other side, but more than a few odd looks came their direction from the denizens within.

IP stood still for several seconds, before reloading its weapon and shaking its head.

"I... I'm sorry. I merely attempted to use the rules to..." The android stopped itself mid-sentence, seeming to realize Yuugi likely wasn't in the mood for hearing excuses, "I suppose attempting to manipulate the rules of the duel was... disrespectful and underhanded of me. If you are still willing, I would have a proper duel with you this time. If you are not willing to have another duel..."

The android gestured to where the shield lay. "You may keep what I wagered as a penalty for my dishonorable conduct. Unless you have some other form of reparations in mind."

"Kaenbyou Rin, but people usually just call me Orin." She frowned. "A phone is that thing Koishi started obsessing over during the whole urban legend thing, right? No, there aren't really any of those down here, unless she brought one."

Muenzuka

The pair doesn't get very far before they feel a hostile presence. The source of this, after a quick glance around, is an orb of pitch blackness that seems to drink in the light, slowly drifting through the air towards the road.