Anything Anime

Kai

Why are you treating One Piece like a psychological thriller? It's a Shonen anime, with the basic plot line of overcome strong enemy, spout of great lines, get stronger, move on to next enemy. Also, remember that most anime come from manga, so you can't expect the mangaka to change their art style after it has been serialized.

That said, it's okay if you don't particularly like that genre, just don't expect it to be something it is not.

I was kinda okay with the storyline up until some raindeer medic kid thing popped up out of nowhere and could transform into different random shit, like a Rambo form. Then I just gave up. I looked at things every now and then and saw the absolutely ridiculous and flamboyant enemies. The "I'm a totally clueless tryhard and get distracted easily and do dumb stuff but I never give up and win by some totally BS way" thing got old quickly. It hurt my brain to watch.

Oh hey, that's totally the formula for Fairy Tale and Naruto. No wonder why I have an extreme dislike for them as well.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh i prefer that too, i just think it's nice to have tons of episodes, but maybe it's partly because i have a good bit of free time and a 24 episode series will last me a few days probably, if i'm really into it.

I just feel like it's...odd to think of it as "dragged out", or rather, to think of that kind of thing as...bad. I can't tell ya how many times somebody has said "Oh that's X hundred episodes, i don't have time for that so i won't start it" and all i can think is "the episode count doesn't matter at all because if you have time for 1 episode of anything ever, you have time for all of them, just don't expect to finish it in a couple weeks."

I can understand the long count being seen as an adventure, but to me it feels like it's being dragged out because, aside from certain spoiler-ish plot points, it goes episodically in a rather formulaic manner; such as early on where it spent many episodes introducing one character and then moving on to the next, or how there's a stronger enemy who pops up, they defeat him after a dragonball z amount of episodes and then rinse and repeat. That, and the main reason it's still in production is because of it's gargantuan popularity.

I don't find One Piece bad; at certain points, I'd even argue it was great; I just feel that overall it's mediocre at best.

When it came to watching One Piece, I just wanted to wait for the dubs to come out & watch it then, even knowing it would have taken me many years to try & catch up to it. I did give in however & watched 100 episodes of it per week. When I get into something I don't stop. lol.

Very valid points from both sides. Personally, I like it and I don't think I'll stop when I'm this far in.

Anyways, Episode 2 for Tokyo Ghoul was good and Zankyou no Terror is very interesting imo, I honestly thought 12/Fuyuji would annoy the hell out of me, but he didn't actually.

I saw Akame Ga Kill today, it was really good.~

I also tried watching Tokyo Ghoul's 1st episode, but I just couldn't get into it, just not a horror guy sadly.;-;

I saw Akame Ga Kill today, it was really good.~

I also tried watching Tokyo Ghoul's 1st episode, but I just couldn't get into it, just not a horror guy sadly.;-;

That's fine, everyone has their likes/dislikes ^_^ I'm really tempted to read the manga for Akame Ga Kill.

Its a pretty brutal series when it does the fights, like holy crap, & it really makes you hate the villains. First episode is out for anime, & as for the manga its still ongoing at 50 chapters, plus its monthly. Anime wise, the first episode is basically the entire first chapter. Its really great, I recommend it.=)

I've been reading the Akame ga Kill manga, and because of chapter spacing, I've kind of been forgetting how much death is always present throughout the series (somehow I manage this, even though Kill is in the title). Just watching the first episode reminded me not to get too attached to any of the characters. I'm about to watch Tokyo Ghoul Ep. 2 and Persona 4G, so I guess I'll edit this when I have.

Edit: Okay, I watched them, and not much to say, Tokyo Ghoul was good, I hope the episodes don't just become boring now, and Persona 4G holds some value at least for me, so I'll keep watching it.

Edited by Tenshine

Maelstrom, I have to agree about Fairy Tail...I like it but it can be really crappy sometimes. One Piece stuff does tend to be...hard to understand sometimes admittedly (There was a guy...on a train...that used food as a weapon....and basically just took WAY too long to be beaten) although honestly it sounds like you wanted it to be a lot less ridiculous than it is. One Piece is supposed to be ridiculous most of the time and it plays off of that and even pokes fun at itself sometimes. Still, if you strongly dislike that kind of thing i suppose, just watch Detective Conan. I mean everybody should watch it. For reasons. Like this:

Step 1: Watch Detective Conan.

Step 2: Profit.

That's it though. Okay okay seriously it's a really great, smart, complicated dramatic anime with some good action too. It also happens to be the most realistic anime I have seen yet, with very little outside the normal physics and natural world(pretty much just some advanced technology, but not really....TOO advanced) actually I think Google Glass is way more advanced than anything in Detective Conan.

In all honesty, it has more episodes than anything I could think of, but it is also much more entertaining. It doesn't take a lot of episodes for very little to happen...instead, a TON will happen over the course of many episodes until it...culminates I suppose. It's hard to even explain but it's the kind of thing that will give you goosebumps because of the plot twists and the epic moments and the correlations...I can't even...I just....yea. Watch it. Yes it's well over 700 episodes. I watched it over the course of a year and I regret none of the time spent. Some of the fillers are less than adequate but most of them are pretty entertaining in their own rite.

The only thing is though that it doesn't really build of to its own tier of awesomeness until around episode 150 I think. That doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it though, it gets good right away and then it gets better but you'll have to wait for it to get fantastic. It's worth it though.

Edited by chuckles

So I generally hate anime. Someone suggested I should watch Attack on Titan and Death Note, and they were hella good. I guess I just absolutely despise any trace of unseriousness which most animes tend to have.

Are there any other anime that match the grim theme of Death Note and Attack on Titan, while also being 100% serious with zero trace of "lol random =3 onii-chan" bullshit in them?

there are alot of random anime but they must have a good story behind it like kore wa zombie desu ka

but the all serious stuff is awesome but they heve to make a joke ones in a while like rail wars that came this summer

Try Steins;Gate Doj. The plot is extremely inteligent and well written. It only gets dark on the later half though.

Right now I'm watching both Attack on Titan (first time I dropped it, now I watched almost half in two days XD) and Death Note, and up to now both are amazing.

Also watched the first Terror in Ressonance and Tokyo Ghoul, both seem very nice but I liked the former better.

Edited by Notus

So I generally hate anime. Someone suggested I should watch Attack on Titan and Death Note, and they were hella good. I guess I just absolutely despise any trace of unseriousness which most animes tend to have.

Are there any other anime that match the grim theme of Death Note and Attack on Titan, while also being 100% serious with zero trace of "lol random =3 onii-chan" bullshit in them?

Phantom: Requiem for the phantom.

Mirai Nikki...for the most part. There's a little silliness mainly due to the initial immaturity of the main character.

Psycho Pass for sure, it's amazing.

I'd wager Durarara falls in line.

Monster, definitely, 100%, beyond any doubt, Monster. If you want a really serious anime serious with a lot of realism and excellent drama, watch that.

Not Kill La Kill. Definitely not. No way. That show is great but very silly and ridiculous.

Also guys, I watched the first two episodes now of Tokyo Ghoul because people were talking about it, and...i'm very interested in how this might pan out. This show is definitely pretty cool so far.

Gantz. Absolutely, Gantz. Don't watch it as an anime though. The anime is really short and diverges from the manga a bit.

Seriously, read the manga. It goes on way past the anime anyways. Much violence, much death. All seriousness. If you thought Hunger Games was good... this is on a whole 'nother level. They're trapped in a death hunt where they are summoned to kill aliens hidden among the world in one way or another. It's run like a game by unknown entities for unknown reasons, but when the people around you die, it takes a toll. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gantz

Other grim, serious anime...

There's Hellgirl (Jigoku Shoujo). When people are abused and cornered enough, they can call on the Hell Girl to take their tormentor's soul down to hell and out of their life immediately. However, in return, their own soul goes to hell whenever they die. The first 4 or so episodes go through wrenching stories of people who have called on Hell Girl. After that, apparently, it changes to focus more on the hell girl herself. I only got so far in before I wasn't able to watch anymore because nowhere to watch it, etc. I need to pick that one back up myself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Girl

On a serious note, but not really anime related is There Will Be Brawl. It's a live action web series of an adult themed, dystopian Mushroom Kingdom, years after Mario and Luigi saved it from Bowser and the glory and memory of their deeds has faded. It puts a unique spin on the characters within Super Smash Brothers Brawl, acting and colliding within this dark premise. You won't regret watching this. http://therewillbebrawl.com/episodes.php

Fate/Zero (although I wouldn't put Fate/Stay Night in that category aswell) is absolutely brilliant past the first episode of lore layout, especially if you like a bit of action in your gloom.

And YES, MONSTER. Thank you for reminding me of that, Chuckles.

Personally, I wouldn't really recommend Mirai Nikki though, as I feel it was rather uninteresting due to the shallowness (or in the MC's case, stupidity) of the characters; I feel that Yuno, the yandere the series is famous for, is victim to this aswell since it just looks like the creators made her kill lots of people and portray that as "crazy", which ultimately made her a bit shallow for me. The concept is simple and great, and there are some decent moments, don't get me wrong, but there's a lot of vague plot details and bullshit in what's going on that kinda threw me off the series.

Fate/Zero (although I wouldn't put Fate/Stay Night in that category aswell) is absolutely brilliant past the first episode of lore layout, especially if you like a bit of action in your gloom.

And YES, MONSTER. Thank you for reminding me of that, Chuckles.

Personally, I wouldn't really recommend Mirai Nikki though, as I feel it was rather uninteresting due to the shallowness (or in the MC's case, stupidity) of the characters; I feel that Yuno, the yandere the series is famous for, is victim to this aswell since it just looks like the creators made her kill lots of people and portray that as "crazy", which ultimately made her a bit shallow for me. The concept is simple and great, and there are some decent moments, don't get me wrong, but there's a lot of vague plot details and bullshit in what's going on that kinda threw me off the series.

Mirai Nikki was, for me, an anime that had an interesting start and had some good character development but became epic and fantastic and jaw-dropping-spectacular toward the end....and I think that's mainly because I watched it all in a couple days, and the anime, well...it connects. Beautifully and flawlessly, it connects all sorts of things together in ways that are impossible to understand until you get a certain twist that makes you rethink everything, and all of the questions are answered and everything comes together, and I loved that experience to the point of absurdity. It's like the end of The Usual Suspects but amplified. I can't even describe it. Oh and yuno became crazy partly due to her obsession and her home life but also because of her conundrum with space and time and the powerlessness of even the supposedly omnipotent state of being. You can't really understand it all and get that feeling though unless you know, by heart, everything that happened in the series as you watch it, and in order to do that you really need to watch it quickly and pay very close attention. I know people who watched it over a period of weeks and didn't make the connections, and I think that is why. Once it explained and elaborated on everything that had come up in the series, and started really gearing into the concept of time, space, and causality and the relation of events and their impact on people, I reached a point where I was positively giddy with excitement and wonder. It was a fucking euphoria. It's currently my favorite anime because of that (DC comes close though, Monster might be #3 these days)

I haven't seen Fate/either of them yet, I probably should, I have heard they are both pretty good but I actually don't know which one to watch first.

Edited by chuckles

I can understand the long count being seen as an adventure, but to me it feels like it's being dragged out because, aside from certain spoiler-ish plot points, it goes episodically in a rather formulaic manner; such as early on where it spent many episodes introducing one character and then moving on to the next, or how there's a stronger enemy who pops up, they defeat him after a dragonball z amount of episodes and then rinse and repeat. That, and the main reason it's still in production is because of it's gargantuan popularity.

I don't find One Piece bad; at certain points, I'd even argue it was great; I just feel that overall it's mediocre at best.

Bottom line: Read the Manga. The original content has much faster pacing. No filler arcs, no scenes that are stretched out far longer than they should be.

• Support Squad

For the most part, a lot of Shounen anime tend to suffer from the flaws of Fairy tail, one piece naruto etc because he majority of the genre has fallen into a constant cycle:

Meet bad guy

Bad guy is bad

MC gets angry

Mc and bad guy fight for 5 seconds before mc gets slammed

Side characters go on to explain WHY he got slammed for the next 5 episode whilst doing updates on EVERY CHARACTER EVER

MC gets up cuz BATMAN or something as ridiculous

MC wins after having illogical power boost.

Wait, no The bad guy pulled a frieza

Another 5 second fight, MC fails again

Other characters step in and stall ti MC is healed

MC wins

unless the bad guy pulls another frieza

Rinse repeat

Watching a bunch of the new summer anime, there's some pretty decent stuff so far from what I've watched. Current highlight to me is Akame Ga Kill because I'm in love with all these characters, and it looks rather flashy and solid. Nothing outstanding to note here but definitely some entertaining stuff.