Anything Anime

Kai

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, I only know I'll be watching Tokyo Ghoul and JoJo's, and maybe Rail Wars since I saw the first episode. I'm not 100% sure on what other anime there are this season, but some of the ones I have heard of can wait for rainy days.

Edited by Tenshine

I haven't watched a whole lot of anime compared to most of you guys, but the ones that stood out from what I have were:

Sword Art Online - first section was AMAZING. Alfheim really dropped the ball for me. I wish they would have covered each individual floor in SAO.

.Hack//Roots - As you can tell, I enjoy the whole "trapped in virtual reality" setting. I watched some of this (never finished) before SAO, but ended up liking SAO a lot more, due to art style, story, and other factors.

Darker than Black - Quite possibly my favorite of the animes I've seen, if not SAO. This entire series was just amazing for me. I still haven't seen the second season, though I really need to. (I don't really like Hei's new design though... :/ )

Code Geass - Again, I liked the first season more, but both were pretty good in this case. The ending was very good, but still makes me angry.

I've seen a few others, but these were the ones that really stood out to me.

Well thought I might add my comment on here Fav anime was Code Geass the new Code Geass is ok just kinda weird how it's in between season 1 and 2. Anyway the new games which good to me that I'll be watching are Rail wars, Tokyo Ghouls and ect I like a lot of the new animes coming out actually except for like two anyway.

I've voiced my opinion before on how SAO would've been far better overall if it just never continued after the first half finished; despite the shallowness of some of the characters and the simplicity of the plot's concept it handled most of the aspects well from it's fight sequences (boss fights yuki kajura yes) to the amazing bomb dropped on the characters in the first episode.

Then came a whiny butterfly villain, bullshit deus ex machinas and a forced love triangle. Why.

I'll give season 2 a chance in hope that it retains the glory of the first half.

I've voiced my opinion before on how SAO would've been far better overall if it just never continued after the first half finished; despite the shallowness of some of the characters and the simplicity of the plot's concept it handled most of the aspects well from it's fight sequences (boss fights yuki kajura yes) to the amazing bomb dropped on the characters in the first episode.

Then came a whiny butterfly villain, bullshit deus ex machinas and a forced love triangle. Why.

I'll give season 2 a chance in hope that it retains the glory of the first half.

I gotta be honest, i don't think i could bring myself to watch the next season because of how i felt about the first. It skipped around in time constantly, main character won impossibly, (glitch...?) everybody loved the main guy, even his sister (i know they aren't biological siblings, it's still weird) ...and it's an epic ripoff of .hack//sign. Maybe i could forget all of that if it had better writing or plot, but watching it was a chore for me. It seems doubtful that the people that made it could make a second season that is worth watching. It had nice animation and some cool fights. I can praise it for that, but not for anything else.

Right now my favourite anime is Hunter x Hunter 2011 (HxH 2011). The pacing is great, the characters are really interesting, and it feels a little like One Piece, which is saying something. Tokyo Ghoul and Akame Ga Kill seem like really promising anime that I'm watching, I'm watching Sword Art Online which seems pretty good.

Right now my favourite anime is Hunter x Hunter 2011 (HxH 2011). The pacing is great, the characters are really interesting, and it feels a little like One Piece, which is saying something. Tokyo Ghoul and Akame Ga Kill seem like really promising anime that I'm watching, I'm watching Sword Art Online which seems pretty good.

At the moment, I'm re-watching One Piece since I never finished it.. my god I'm no where close to be up to date.

One Piece is trash. It has its entertainment value, sure, but I will never be able to take it seriously anymore.

Why? Have you watched all of it? It becomes a lot more serious a few hundred episodes in. That probably sounds crazy though. Honestly for me it was something to watch but as i watched more and more, it drew me in with the development, the lore, and the overall story.

Tried out the new Sailor Moon awhile back, & really loved it.=)

Haven't tried out SAO2 yet, but would like to see it to see what its all about. I did watch Log Horizon & I enjoyed it a bit more than SAO.

Haven't seen Tokyo Ghoul yet, & even though I'm really easy to please, I'm not much of a horror person, nearly dropped Attack on Titan from the first episode, so I'm pretty iffy on it.

Waiting for No Game No Life's 2nd season.

Still love watching Hunter x Hunter 2011; Black Bullet; Soul Eater Not!; Coffin Princess Chaika; Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders; & Fairy Tail 2014.

Pretty easy to please, & would like to see more anime if anyone has any recommendations.^_^

There are some anime that you should watch in dub. FMA(both) is one of them. Some anime get the dub so wrong with terrible voice acting and ridiculous dialogue and sounds, or they might even heavily edit things (one piece dub should never be spoken of) but a few are really good. Code Geass comes to mind as well. I think my favorite voice actor is currently Crispin Freeman.

Edited by chuckles

Why? Have you watched all of it? It becomes a lot more serious a few hundred episodes in. That probably sounds crazy though. Honestly for me it was something to watch but as i watched more and more, it drew me in with the development, the lore, and the overall story.

It's incredibly hard to take One Piece seriously when the entire art style and character design looks so ridiculously goofy; it had some entertainment factor once it started getting off it's ass after about 30 episodes, but from then on I felt it was just being ridiculously dragged on. Not to mention, I honestly can't bring myself to watch an anime in the quad-digit number of episodes; it shouldn't take that long for something to come to a goddamn conclusion.

Best intro of all time in my opinion

Also, Laura Bailey has the most beautiful and soothing voice I've ever heard.

it's your opinion so i'll respect that but

m8 have you seen this

sorry I love AoT

and fairy tail. gotta love fairy tail.

FWIW, I watched the first five minutes of E1 of AoT and haven't got the hype. That intro as a whole is above average, but nothing is spectacular about it to me.

And no I don't have to like Fairy tail and their weird characters and cats and stuff. No thanks.

i wonder if a part of that is because you only watched five minutes of episode 1

It gets better later on, as more characters are introduced and people develop feelings, the plot twists come and you slowly get attached to everyone. The soundtrack is wonderful, the animation is beautiful and while I am going to say right here it has it's fair share of cliche's and copy/paste characters but I still completely believe they have some of the best characters I've ever seen. And no, that's not my biased opinion of my love for AoT coming through.

Its not the best but I stand by that it is a very good anime, any anime fan should at least give it a go past the first few episodes unless it's really not their thing and it has it's hype for a reason.

Edited by Alatreon

It's incredibly hard to take One Piece seriously when the entire art style and character design looks so ridiculously goofy; it had some entertainment factor once it started getting off it's ass after about 30 episodes, but from then on I felt it was just being ridiculously dragged on. Not to mention, I honestly can't bring myself to watch an anime in the quad-digit number of episodes; it shouldn't take that long for something to come to a goddamn conclusion.

Two things:

1: I never judge anything by its graphics or art. Growing up playing black and white games and watching plenty of hand-drawn animation, I just don't see the point. I can appreciate great animation but no matter how something looks, i refuse to let it negatively affect my opinion.

2: It has about 650 right now, and the thing is....with the few series that have such a staggering length, there is so much lore and character development that it becomes significant and holds you begging for more because of it. Something like One Piece or, especially, Detective Conan, is so grandiose that it slowly wraps around you. You become knowledgeable with the characters and names and places, and companies and groups and recurring themes. Both of those anime series will make connections to other parts of the show, such as characters and events, sometimes even hundreds of episodes later. It's difficult to describe though honestly. Yes I know, the length is staggering...take your time though. Let it be something to watch, when there is nothing else. Eventually it will consume your attention and you won't really want to do anything else. These are not series that pull you in right off the bat. These are series that might pique your interest at first, and you watch more and more and after maybe 100 (probably at least 150 in detective conan, in fact a fan favorite main character is introduced in episode 129) episodes, you're at the edge of your seat thinking and remembering and working it all through. It becomes a web of understanding that is woven through your mind. As I said, it is difficult to describe, this experience. It is different from even the most wonderful 26 episode anime. It's not necessarily better or worse overall, but there's so much more to it, more that happens, more characters and development...when a series is over 500 episodes it's not because it is drawn out so much that it takes forever to finish and the story should be done. It's simply a very long and complex story, something that could not be condensed without completely destroying the quality. Compare it to certain literature, perhaps even the epic Paradise Lost, or certain book series. Even if it is very lengthy and takes a considerable amount of time, it needs to be due to the sheer proportion of the story itself. If the harry potter series (not really long enough but a good, popular example nonetheless) were condensed to one book that is about 500 pages, it would be more convenient for people. People could read it much more quickly. However, would that not hinder it? Hell, I don't think anybody would care for it much. I realize this is becoming long, and I apologize. Perhaps this has turned into a rant.

Moral of the story: Even if it is really long, watch it anyway. Nobody expects you to be done in a week, or a month, or even 3 months. To watch all of One Piece right now would take somewhere around 250 hours I suppose. What if you watch 2 episodes a day? That's 45 minutes or so. You'll be done in about 4 months that way. Think about it in the long run. It's simple, it just isn't quick. Even when you're not that into it yet, it can be something to fallback on. That's what I did for a while; Looking for something to watch but can't find anything? Watch it. Bored and unsure of how to spend free time? Watch it. Etcetera etcetera.

Seriously though it really seems like you're just worried about the length but you(and many other people) seem to think about it as you would a short, 12 hour series, and that is irrational. It just isn't the same, but different is not bad.

Two things:

1: I never judge anything by its graphics or art. Growing up playing black and white games and watching plenty of hand-drawn animation, I just don't see the point. I can appreciate great animation but no matter how something looks, i refuse to let it negatively affect my opinion.

2: It has about 650 right now, and the thing is....with the few series that have such a staggering length, there is so much lore and character development that it becomes significant and holds you begging for more because of it. Something like One Piece or, especially, Detective Conan, is so grandiose that it slowly wraps around you. You become knowledgeable with the characters and names and places, and companies and groups and recurring themes. Both of those anime series will make connections to other parts of the show, such as characters and events, sometimes even hundreds of episodes later. It's difficult to describe though honestly. Yes I know, the length is staggering...take your time though. Let it be something to watch, when there is nothing else. Eventually it will consume your attention and you won't really want to do anything else. These are not series that pull you in right off the bat. These are series that might pique your interest at first, and you watch more and more and after maybe 100 (probably at least 150 in detective conan, in fact a fan favorite main character is introduced in episode 129) episodes, you're at the edge of your seat thinking and remembering and working it all through. It becomes a web of understanding that is woven through your mind. As I said, it is difficult to describe, this experience. It is different from even the most wonderful 26 episode anime. It's not necessarily better or worse overall, but there's so much more to it, more that happens, more characters and development...when a series is over 500 episodes it's not because it is drawn out so much that it takes forever to finish and the story should be done. It's simply a very long and complex story, something that could not be condensed without completely destroying the quality. Compare it to certain literature, perhaps even the epic Paradise Lost, or certain book series. Even if it is very lengthy and takes a considerable amount of time, it needs to be due to the sheer proportion of the story itself. If the harry potter series (not really long enough but a good, popular example nonetheless) were condensed to one book that is about 500 pages, it would be more convenient for people. People could read it much more quickly. However, would that not hinder it? Hell, I don't think anybody would care for it much. I realize this is becoming long, and I apologize. Perhaps this has turned into a rant.

Moral of the story: Even if it is really long, watch it anyway. Nobody expects you to be done in a week, or a month, or even 3 months. To watch all of One Piece right now would take somewhere around 250 hours I suppose. What if you watch 2 episodes a day? That's 45 minutes or so. You'll be done in about 4 months that way. Think about it in the long run. It's simple, it just isn't quick. Even when you're not that into it yet, it can be something to fallback on. That's what I did for a while; Looking for something to watch but can't find anything? Watch it. Bored and unsure of how to spend free time? Watch it. Etcetera etcetera.

Seriously though it really seems like you're just worried about the length but you(and many other people) seem to think about it as you would a short, 12 hour series, and that is irrational. It just isn't the same, but different is not bad.

I judge the art style of an anime based on how well it fits with the general theme of it; and when going through hundreds of episodes to take it rather seriously (although it did have some high points), it does get in the way.

Also, you seem to be under the impression that I haven't watched it yet; I've watched everything up to the Marines vs Whitebeard Pirates, which was where the episodes were still going weekly from back when I was watching it; this opinion is based on watching the actual show, not on an impression. Tons of lore is nice and all, by the way, but going through several episodes to explain every little detail of it (and even then it generally didn't reel me in) isn't really my thing.

Don't be too irritated by my "long series" complaint, by the way; that's just more of a personal thing for me, who tends to prefer animes around 24 episodes long usually; to me, it's a length with enough possible development yet doesn't really drag on for me.

I judge the art style of an anime based on how well it fits with the general theme of it; and when going through hundreds of episodes to take it rather seriously (although it did have some high points), it does get in the way.

Why are you treating One Piece like a psychological thriller? It's a Shonen anime, with the basic plot line of overcome strong enemy, spout of great lines, get stronger, move on to next enemy. Also, remember that most anime come from manga, so you can't expect the mangaka to change their art style after it has been serialized.

That said, it's okay if you don't particularly like that genre, just don't expect it to be something it is not.

Edited by Tenshine

Also, you seem to be under the impression that I haven't watched it yet; I've watched everything up to the Marines vs Whitebeard Pirates, which was where the episodes were still going weekly from back when I was watching it; this opinion is based on watching the actual show, not on an impression. Tons of lore is nice and all, by the way, but going through several episodes to explain every little detail of it (and even then it generally didn't reel me in) isn't really my thing.

Don't be too irritated by my "long series" complaint, by the way; that's just more of a personal thing for me, who tends to prefer animes around 24 episodes long usually; to me, it's a length with enough possible development yet doesn't really drag on for me.

Oh i prefer that too, i just think it's nice to have tons of episodes, but maybe it's partly because i have a good bit of free time and a 24 episode series will last me a few days probably, if i'm really into it.

I just feel like it's...odd to think of it as "dragged out", or rather, to think of that kind of thing as...bad. I can't tell ya how many times somebody has said "Oh that's X hundred episodes, i don't have time for that so i won't start it" and all i can think is "the episode count doesn't matter at all because if you have time for 1 episode of anything ever, you have time for all of them, just don't expect to finish it in a couple weeks."