[IC] Lightgivers - Volume 1: A Feeling

anethia

"Ooh, that's a good question. Having people die and stuff right away would be really bad and stuff so I'm sure there's something to stop that, which is good because I definitely don't want someone to break my face or something. I like my face, well, mostly, I can never really settle on some stuff." As if to illustrate his point, his irises flickered, going from a pastel pink matching his hair to a slightly reflective orange color. "But yeah, I guess I can totally fight, since I'm not that good at hurting people so it'll be no problem! Yeah, this could be fun, don't you think? Like swimming, I don't get to swim much..."

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tessa

Finally, someone who knew how to get straight to the point! This woman would certainly be a shining beacon of hope in this cruel disorganized environment, even if she has just utterly trampled over Tessa's carefully assembled schedule for the day... It'd be difficult to adapt to this change of plans, but new plans can be forged easily. Although if this bossing around continued any further, Tessa would definitely have to object. She was in no attire to be walktzing around the forest-!

Still though, war- She had basic knowledge of. Enough to become the very best at it, obviously. Buuut really, she thought she was being sent away to a prestigious school where she could hone her talents. Not some barrack where they would prepare them for war!

Tessa was certainly not ready to fight right away as such. She had no knowledge on the others around her. Squirming at her spot, she looked uncomfortably at the apparent teachers-or well, instructors, barely balancing out her three bags, but managing-after all, she had planned ahead in case she had to carry them herself. She squirmed and sighed in relief, placing a hand on her chest as some volunteers volunteered.

As Leo followed the woman in charge, he furrowed his eyebrows, thinking of the crew he found himself into. While from a first glance most of them looked responsible enough, the loud brat who was shouting next to him left an unpleasant, ear-ringing impression. However, the mention of combat examinations quickly overrode those thoughts.

The young inventor wasn't surprised. He did witness the war as it raged on and devastated the land, so he was already expecting this subject to be mentioned sooner or later. Realizing that it would be a good way to learn about his new allies, Leo took a step forward, joining the two others. "I'd like to volunteer for the first match, too."

Edited by Amanojaku

As people volunteered and spoke up all around Valor, he continued to stay silent, observing. He was always observing. It was a habit born of necessity. And his observations in this case revealed that the same girl that controlled the phantom hands was now panicking. He felt confusion and anxiety emanating from her. She was a bundle of nerves.

Valor was a man of few words, a man who favored reaction rather than initiative. However, before all that, he was a gentleman, raised to be a gentleman, and it went against the grain of his upbringing to ignore a lady in distress. Quietly, while several of the others were clamouring and gesticulating, Valor walked up next to the girl and spoke up.

"Miss, it would probably be easier to think if you were to first calm down. I'm not fully certain what it is that has gotten you this flustered, but I am rather certain that it's not a healthy state of mind to dwell in."

Johann.

Geez, the nerves of some people. The hand that shushed the big fella nearly made him mad but he just decided to let it slide for the time being. More important things where on the table at the moment. Fight... or wait? Quite the question. On one hand... it'd get the crick out of his neck. On the other, he had no idea what any of these people were capable of. But... on the other hand it'd make his back feel better. Buuuuuuuuuut... on the other hand, He really didn't like facing the unknown. He'd have to at some point though and get over it. And it'd probably make parts of him feel better at the least. However, he figured wait at least a round. Besides he had business. He decided to not let the hand thing slide. He walked over to the smaller girl with the hands. It was rather obvious the owner as they were easy enough to see.

"Didn't your mother ever tell ya to keep you're hands to yourself?" he said a stupid grin on his face. Proud of that one probably. "Anyway what was that for? Sheesh... I'd prefer not to get scolded already."

Baixue

Baixue’s expression after hearing of the news of the two mysterious figures explicating their purposes here and the hazards that followed took one moment of flinching surprise before she sobered herself, humming and nodded noncommittally.

They were to fight? Baixue’s ways in the snow had, for the most part, been tranquil, with the only form of violence being the times where she had to scavenge and hunt with her tribesmen for food during famines. She was also a believer that fighting and destruction was not a form of effective learning – strife and bloodshed would result in little but loss and consequence, but combat ability, on the other hand, was a necessary skill everyone would need, especially given the context elaborated to her by the people that seemed to be her future trainers.

Regardless, any window of opportunity to improve herself she would eagerly take. In spite of the current circumstances, Baixue was to acquaint and group up with new, unfamiliar, alien people here – a sentiment she knew she would enjoy, hoping everyone else would be as open as her – as well as the ability to develop their lumen, to find information of the great Aqui who she believed existed out there. All this was to be promised later, though; paying minimal heed to the details of the people around her acquiescing and volunteering to fight, she decided to begin her first words amidst the group with a question:

"What of the war, good sir? With respect that we certainly do need ready ourselves to fight, what's going on out there?"

Edited by Noir

Even as the plane started to land, Aria never really took her nose out of the book she was reading. She was generally the type to read books on scientific topics, but she could not help but indulge in a little supernatural mystery thriller every so often. After all, the one she was reading right now had her hooked and she was coming to the last page sole chapter of the book.

Luckily, she finally finished the chapter before the hatch had opened. However, much to her dismay, the chapter ended in quite the horrific way and she still had an epilogue. She would have to come back to it later. As the plane finally ground to a halt, Aria marked her place on the oddly placed Afterword before getting out of her seat and grabbing her belongings from the overhead compartment. With the luggage containing her belongings in one hand, a backpack on her back, and her book in the other hand, she made her way off the plane. Truly, this girl knew the meaning of traveling lightly.

Rather than get herself involved with the loud conversation that happened, she stayed in the background while fiddling with the book, debating with herself whether or not to continue to the end while she waited.

Luckily for her, that debate was cut short and decided as Sylva gathered everyone’s attention.

As the prideful risk-taker listened to Tempus’s little exposition, she had many questions. But, rather than forgo them, she decided instead that it would be better to take some initiative here. Her questions would be answered in due time.

“I’ll volunteer as well,” she said, flipping her hair while giving a smile and exuding a prideful aura.

• Support Squad

Cindy, Johann and Valor

"Miss, it would probably be easier to think if you were to first calm down. I'm not fully certain what it is that has gotten you this flustered, but I am rather certain that it's not a healthy state of mind to dwell in."

Cindy was drawn out of her panic shell by the voice of a young man quietly addressing her. His voice was calming and more importantly right, panicking wouldn't help her. She took a few deep breaths and was about to respond when the larger of the loud boys spoke to her as well.

"Didn't your mother ever tell ya to keep you're hands to yourself?" he said a stupid grin on his face. Proud of that one probably. "Anyway what was that for? Sheesh... I'd prefer not to get scolded already.

The embarrassment flood back in a tidal wave, sweeping away the calm that she had for only a moment. He was grinning but that only made it feel worse, she didn't want to be laughed at! Ahhhh, not fifteen minutes in and her hands had caused her so much grief already.

"I-I'm sorry!" She blurted out. "I don't have the best control when I'm not paying attention and and I, well, I'm just not prepared at all and-" Cindy's words finally failed her, her face felt red and blotchy, her throat was tight and she could feel tears at her eyes. She knew she was over-reacting and making a scene and that made it worse, this was the last thing she wanted today and it all felt like it was going wrong. She just didn't know what to do with herself!

The Phantom hands were in a tizzy now, fussing about Cindy industriously. One of them held her hand soothingly, another held her cheek and wiped the tears from her cheek. The third gave a thumbs up to Valor before patting Cindy's back the way her brother always used to when she got upset and the fourth gave Johann a thumbs down and pointed away.

Johann

"Uuuuuuh..." Well... this was bad timing apparently. He wasn't really sure what was up with the girl, but clearly she wasn't in a great state of mind at the moment which he'd only just noticed. Definitely should've invested in perception. Deeeefinitely. "OH MY GOD!!! I'm so sorry I didn't mean to startle you. I'll just leave and stop making things worse. Yea! Good plan!" Smooooooooooooth. Though he didn't really see a better option at the moment. Trying more probably just make things even worse. So, FULLY TACTICAL AND NOT AT ALL DUE TO BEING A CHICKEN SOCIAL RETREAT!!! He did feel bad though, he should've paid more attention. Probably ruined that whole thing already. Though, she was only currently overwhelmed maybe she wouldn't remember him? Yea! Hopefully that worked! It probably wouldn't. But hopefully! But really... there was a snowballs chance in hell of that.

Valor sighed and shook his head as the loud man walked away. That was hardly the way to treat a lady who was clearly distressed.

Hearing the young woman's sobs and feeling the murky mix of embarrassment and fear emanating from her, he smoothly transferred his cane to his left hand. Reaching into his left breast pocket with his now-freed right hand, he retrieved a neatly folded handkerchief and offered it to the young woman.

"Here. Use this. It pains me to hear a lady with such a beautiful voice crying."

• Support Squad

Cindy and Valor

In her distress she didn't notice Johann leave but the compliment from Valor gave Cindy pause. Her voice was beautiful? Small as it was, the complement and gesture of kindness helped Cindy get her thoughts in order.

"Thank you." She choked out with a sheepish smile. One of her hands took the handkerchief from Valors hand and gently dabbed at Cindy's eyes to clear away the tears. "M-may I ask your name?"

Valor smiled as the fear and anxiety in the young woman by his side began to recede.

"Very well, a gentleman who is asked for a name by a lady is obliged to give it. I am Valor Igyll... Pardon me. I am Valor."

Valor's grip tightened on his cane as he stopped himself from giving his family name. He bore that name no longer. Even as he did so, however, the smile never left his face, presenting an amiable front to the young woman.

"Courtesy dictates that I ask your name in response, but I'm afraid to admit that I might not remember it. Names are not my strong suit. Even so, if you would like to give me your name, I would be honored to hear it."

• Support Squad

Cindy & Valor

Her heart was still beating a a little too fast and her throat was still too tight but she felt herself getting a little better. She might need a minute alone later to get over it better but the mundane conversation was helping.

"I'm Cindy Higimidan. Just call me Cindy, my last name is awkward I know..." Cindy trailed off not sure what to say. Others had come forward as volunteers. "Do they really want us to fight each other?" She asked in a small voice.

"Well then, a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss Cindy."

Valor was glad to note that his conversation partner's heart rate was returning to a regular pace. It was a sign that she was calming down. As she asked her question, he placed one hand on his chin in thought.

"I suppose so. I understand the reasoning behind it, though I cannot say I condone violence. I consider myself a peaceful person, at any rate. That said, if I have no option, I will fight. In any case, it seems like they just want to stage a practice bout - I doubt anyone will sustain serious injury. There seems to be no cause for concern."

Hassar

Following the instructions of the humans that seemed to be in charge, Hassar was surprised to see they were leading them to the forest. Even moreso when they announced a mock battle. "Here?" he thought to himself. The forest was his element. It was his world, where he and his Pack ruled. He wondered if they knew just what sort of advantage they were giving him by choosing this of all places as the arena. With a small smile he trickled tiny threads of Lumen into his bells to stop them from ringing. Bells won in combat.

Then they asked for volunteers. "They'll get one...but not quite how they think" he thought before dropping his smile. After quickly exchanging the knives strapped to his wrists for the ones coated in contact paralysis poison from his satchel, he moved a hand to his back to throw up his hood when the word was given. "Won't kill them...but it will certainly be a surprise." he thought happily, angling himself in such a way that he could get to the inner depths of the forests brush easily when he was ready.

Felis

Felis was one of the last to exit the plane. He was still in his seat, quiet, and immobile. He was meditating; his uncle had told him to always remain his calm. One of the flight attendants came over to him, tapping him on the shoulder.

"Um, excuse me sir, but the flight is over, you'll have to exit-"

Felis let out a growl, clearly not pleased to have been disturbed. He opened his eyes, a visibly trembling person in front of him. He didn't even bother acknowledging the person. Several years with an uncle who wasn't much for idle conversation appeared to have made him unsociable as well. "No matter," he thought to him, as he reached for the armrest to steady himself upwards. He realized it wasn't there anymore, after he, well, destroyed it after a flight attendant had spilled his drink on him. He went to go collect his greatsword, something he had a difficult time explaining at the airport. The attendant shrank backwards, trying to distance herself from Felis, until she meekly told him that the exit was in the opposite direction. He merely grunted, heading in the other direction to exit the plane.

As soon as he stepped outside, he was greeting by the soothing wind and the blinding sun. It took a moment, as his eyes adjusted to his brighter surroundings, before a group of people came into his field of view. If they were discussing anything important, he had clearly missed it. He lumbered across the field to meet with the others, his body still stiff after sitting still in a plane for several hours. "Maybe I should have walked..."

Osiric

As they stepped into the forest, Osiric began to feel at home, like he was in his mother's garden back home, with the energy of the plants around him relaxing him a bit, although that didn't last long.

"Battles? I thought that we were supposed to be working together; its not like we are ever going to have to fight each other for real right?" The thought of having to fight any of the other people here bothered Osiric, besides the fact that they were supposed to be teammate, he also had no idea what any of them could do, and he really didn't have that much combat experience. The worst fight he had ever really been in was a little fist-fight with another boy when he was younger, and its not like his Lumen was exactly good for combat either.

As he saw other people begin to step forward to volunteer he felt some relief, at least he wouldn't have to be one of the first people to fight. "It would probably be best for me not to do so" he thought to himself, absentmindingly grabbing a poppy seed out of one of his bags and infusing some energy into it to make it grow on the tip of his staff.

Karen
“Master Marcus.” Alison poked the cheek of the sleeping child seated comfortably in xyr plane chair. “It’s time to wake up.”
Letting out a groan, Karen stretched xyr arms out before opening xyr eyes to xyr ‘butler’. “Alison, I was in the middle of a fantastic dream. I was flying over the seas, and it was great! This better be good, or it’s back to my head for you.”
“You’ll find that you were flying,” Alison’s smile never left him as he spoke to Karen. It almost felt mocking to the child. “And your flight has ended.” Alison motioned his arm towards the other seats in the plane, most devoid of a passenger. “Do not worry. I took the liberty of listening to any and all announcements made while you were rested.” Alison repeated Sylva’s words to the recently awoken child, rather than simply sharing the memories with Karen. It was certainly more formal to do it by voice, rather than using Lumen. “Oh, also you are not here to fool around, and to slack off.” The butler made sure to emphasize his words.
“Shut up, Alison, I do what I want.” Snapping at him, the child left xyr butler to take xyr bags, leaving the plane to see xyr flight companions. Karen slept through the whole flight, so xe didn’t even see any of their faces. Though, Karen didn’t feel like introducing xemself to anyone any time soon.
“So, we’re fighting each other, huh?” Karen didn’t want to exert xemself in a fight. Xe would have to go through the trouble of summoning Nightmares and commanding them and having to activate REMquiem and it was all so much work. The child chose to simply watch from the sidelines for now, and maybe take a nap while it happens.
Edited by InnocentBoy

Damon

As the plane began it's descent Damon yet again gripped his already seared armrests, clearly waiting for it to be over. When the plane finally did touch down and taxi over to where, from his window Damon saw three people waiting off of the runway. 'Now who do we have here?' He thought to himself. As people begun to file out of the plane (some faster than others...) Damon got up, grabbed his bag and his longsword which he didn't bother arranging inside of the cramped plane. He stepped out into the light, that was far less blinding compared to the snow that he was accustomed to seeing everywhere. He strapped his longsword's belt over his shoulder and threw his bag over the other one, holding it on a string.

Damon stayed quiet while everyone else was bickering or seemingly arguing already.. until the person who was clearly in charge stepped forward and begun to explain the situation. Most of which Damon already knew about, but evidently not everyone did their homework... Damon really didn't want to be here, but he knew that he had to, going after raiders would only get him killed... Regardless Damon followed them into the woods, sticking closer to the front of the party, still without saying anything. The one who called herself Sylva then began to explain that they were going to have what is basically a live fire exercise. Damon smiled, his sword hand itching already. 'How lively is this mock battle going to get though? It probably wouldn't be very smart to injure the new trainees, as satisfying as it might be, I would rather not make people hate me yet.' Damon said, zoning out a bit until he realized he wasn't paying attention, then snapping back into reality.

Roy

Screw this, I don't need some glorified tryouts to prove my worth.I'm ready as I'll ever be in this upcoming war you speak off, I was raised in the cold unforgiving tundra for crying out loud. I don't need to spar with some amateur or some rich guy's son or daughter who barely get their hands dirty. I mean look at them, they seem unprepared, asking questions and such, distraught about the announcement, such a waste of my time. Roy muttered to himself and clenches his fist tightly, displaying so much bitterness and rage that he might even cut himself from all of these edges he's emitting.The ponytailed boy snorted with an annoyed look his face and shifted his eyes towards the incoming fight. Roy decided to humor himself on what kind of absurd show these two participants will display.

Edited by Ragnar

Leo gave a quick glance at the man next to him, who randomly started rambling about how satisfying it would be to hurt his workmates. He raised his eyebrow in confusion - after all, there was exactly nothing to gain from wishing violence on people for no good reason, especially when the whole point of being there was to cooperate with each other - and distanced himself from that weirdo.

As he walked away from the nutcase with the longsword, the inventor caught a short glimpse of another man, this one being around his height and looking incredibly moody. The other male clenched his fist and muttered to himself, as if the mere idea of having to hang around with the others offended him- not exactly the greatest sign of trustworthiness and reliability. Leo made a mental note to avoid people who mumbled to themselves, then waited for more people to volunteer for the match.

Tempus

"The fight is over after five minutes, or when only one person is left standing. I myself will call off the match. No lethal force or serious injuries, and we WILL intervene should we deem it necessary. This is to get an idea of your skills; not to kill each other. The fight is in this clearing - no further." Tempus explained, when the woman - Baixue, he believed - stepped forward and asked him about the war in Auster. "How do you not know? Monsters are swarming from an unknown cause; enemy continents scrambling for the Auster resources. It's a catastrophe."

Walking forwards, he surveyed the area - as clean as it had been when they had cleared it this morning. Nodding in appreciation, he allowed the contestants to step forward - and it looked like there was only four, maybe five. "Come now. Combat is a necessary skill, and was clearly outlined in the course when you were signed up. Did nobody go through this with you?" Tempus mused, a hint of amusement in his voice. "Are you scared? There is nothing to be afraid of. The unknown is always a factor; as is fear. You'll never know what's going to happen or what that monster about to claw you is truly capable of. You can only adapt. Always adapt."

• Veterans

Having spent most of the Plane trip here completely and utterly bored, Rafael looked at the agitated lady in a mixture of surprise and joy. At least they were getting straight into it, instead of spending a lot of time wasting away in some room before doing anything. Seems like they'd have to make a decent early showing, something he was quite capable of doing. Especially here, especially in a forest like this. "Let's see here....." He shifted around a bit, discreetly grabbing one of his knives from his pouch, he'd rather be able to get started quickly than have to fumble around for one of them.

Hearing the man that was meant to watch over them while they fought explain the rules more clearly. No lethal force would mean he'd have to be a lot more careful...a lot more. Then again, all the others here probably had their own crazy Lumen powers, so he doubted he'd be able to get anywhere close to killing them, which he didn't even have a reason to want. That loud one -might- be a bit much to deal with, but all people have their quirks, it seemed. "If no one else is gunna volunteer, I'd be up for it, I guess." The black haired teenager moved forward a bit to show himself to the man in charge, the lady called him Tempus or something.

Tempus

"Perfect!" The man exclaimed. Walking forwards, a saber dropping down from a lining in his shirt that he easily let slip down with a practiced shake - grabbing it perfectly at the hilt. It was an ornate blade made of stainless steel, with a black and gold hand guard. Holding the blade downwards, single edge pointing towards him, he began to step towards the center of the battlefield. Once he was in the center, he looked around, nodding at the six combatants. "In position, please." He commanded, a light breeze picking up. The field had no specialties - dry dirt to stand on, no trees in the designated area and nothing to hide behind. In truth, they'd have liked to engage in single one versus one matches - yet they simply had no time. They just had to make do.

Edited by Anethia

Haruki skipped forward, taking up a position on the far end of the field and spinning in place once before facing toward the rest of the people present. "Okay, let's have fun! Ooh, I wonder what everyone looks like when they fight and the Lumen they use and stuff, this is gonna be super exciting! Plus I finally get to show off all the stuff I practiced, you guys are gonna love it!"