Version 8 Status Thread

Jan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veterans

I don't wanna sound too complain-ish about this because it isn't even that important, but.. will we get any new move animations, like.. ever?

Rejuv will probably get the animations that Reborn has at some point as well. If it really happens or not is up to Jan though, but I'm assuming he will add them in.

Ame said this before...

Anyway, official statements on Gen 7:

Yes, it will be incorporated. However, I'm 100% not doing anything related to Gen 7 until those games are released.

The good news is we're in a much better place to implement Gen 7 than we were for Gen 6 for a few reasons:

• Sprites are scary but I have high hopes that I won't have to handle them like I have before. Can't say why for now, but it's nothing dramatic.
  • We have an actual scripting team unlike before, and I'm personally much more competent/comfortable with coding than I was back then.
  • We are currently (mostly) up to date. Before, only content up to Gen 3 was updated, with Gens 4/5 scattered in. We now have everything through 6.
  • The Essentials community itself is also up to date, as a fall-back. The most recent Essentials features Gen 6 code thanks to a user project. I suspect a similar project will pop up to get gen 7 in. This wasn't something that happened back in the day.
  • We already have a framework here of how the community can help with gathering/formatting data to put into the project, and I think we've got some surviving veterans from the process too.

However, there are a couple things this time that will be more inconvenient than last:

• Field Effects will need to be updated for new moves, abilities and mechanics. This is going to be a particular pain because of the Field App graphics I spent forever of this dev cycle making.
  • Since we're managing animations now too, it's a whole new array of moves to animate.
  • There's more content in the game that will need to be adjusted for availability. There are more gyms, trainers, areas, TMs, events/sidequests than there were when Gen 6 hit.

So it's still a pain.

The exception to that will be if there happens to be a new Pokemon or Mega that works out as an ace for an upcoming leader. For example with Ciel: Altaria was always her ace and I was going to have a hell of a time making it powerful, but then there was a Mega and all of my problems were solved. So like if there happens to be a Mega Dragonite then I'll have to add Gen 7 sometime before Saphira's battle.

Jan most likely will also be doing the same.

• Developers

Gen 7 will be implemented the version after the games are released (unless a release is done a week after said time).

So let's just say we're on episode 14 when Gen 7 comes out, Gen 7 will be implemented in Episode 15. There will be no episode 14.5 etc.

Gen 7 will be implemented the version after the games are released (unless a release is done a week after said time).

So let's just say we're on episode 14 when Gen 7 comes out, Gen 7 will be implemented in Episode 15. There will be no episode 14.5 etc.

We'll wait :)

Also...

Stupid question . How long did it take you to release v6 after v5 and v7 after v6 ?

Also...

Stupid question . How long did it take you to release v6 after v5 and v7 after v6 ?

While i can't answer how long i can say it depends on the content being put into whatever update, so 1 update may take 9 months because of it having so much stuff and another may take 4 months because there will not be as much content in it. Also it is down to the time the creator has doing real life stuff and how motivated they are etc etc.

• Developers

Also...

I think version 6 took like... 3-5 months? Version 7 took like 6 months.. Mostly because times were rough and finding time to work on Rejuv was scarce. I don't expect Version 8 to take more than 3 months as it is a shorter version. No promises, though.

-looks at zumi and nyalicrno and starts to walk back fast and says "this is a one vs one pokemon battle each trainer has 1 pokemon each and the battle is over well we already know all this so let the battle begin"

Edited by lokighost

Damn Janiel, back at it again with the status thread~.

This is going to be an interesting version because this update isn't a very long one (In fact it's one of the shorter ones.). Thus, I think it's a perfect time to do the last of the remodeled maps and be done with it. We can all move on and enjoy new content for the rest of the game's duration. Hooray!!!

That being said, whether or not this takes as long as Version 7 will be up to how ambitious I become with these final map remodels, and you'll be happy to know that due to the positive feedback from Version 7, I went on a mapping rampage and already mapped almost every single area needed to be remodeled (With the exception of one area, but there were many many many maps). So thank you all for giving me the motivation to keep on making content for you all!

Jan was filled with determination!

Prior updates (20%)

#################### | Field Updates (0%)

#################### | Event Updates (0%)

#################### | Graphic Updates (50%)

#################### | Map Remodeling (100%)

#################### | Misc Updates (0%)

#################### | Scripting Updates (0%)

New content (43%)

#################### | Mapping (95%)

#################### | New Field Effects (0%)

#################### | Eventing (65%)

#################### | Sidequests (0%)

#################### | Story (55%)

Total Completion:

#################### | (32%)

32% already???

it must be a really short version

still... cant wait to see what happends next

• Developers

32% already???

it must be a really short version

still... cant wait to see what happends next

Yeah, it's one of the shorter versions. Possibly the shortest? That's fine, though. A lot of areas open up to the player so exploration is a thing.