Version 8 Status Thread

Jan

Oh my gosh 77% already my body is not ready. Thankfully I'll actually have time, and a decent computer, this time.

i am making my self ready for the jokes when we get to 99%

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we get some sort of Undertale easter egg again that would be nice *Undertale fandom intensifes*

I'll say only in side quests and short ones. And beside, you got a easter egg in first post in status thread ;)

I'm like more of unique humor and the backstory much more than refrences/easter egg when it's about side quests. Pretty much my opinion.

Hey Jan, I was wondering if you have considered adding the reaper cloth in version 8. I do understand withholding it, considering Dusknoir's power. At the same time, other, more powerful pokemon (basestat-wise) have had their trade items made available (such as Magmortar and Electivire), and since Duskull has been available for so long, I think he deserves to evolve.

In my most recent playthrough I trained a Dusclops for the first time, and I have grown quite close to him. He's truly a great pokemon, but at this point I believe it can be argued that evolving one would not overpower the player. I don't want to have to scrap my bby

It would be cool if you could have some sort of sidequest or something in Goldenwood that made it available. You could always tie it in to the current Narcissa conflict.

Of course, this is all completely up to you. Thank you for making one of my favorite fangames of all time :)

• Veterans

Hey Jan, I was wondering if you have considered adding the reaper cloth in version 8. I do understand withholding it, considering Dusknoir's power. At the same time, other, more powerful pokemon (basestat-wise) have had their trade items made available (such as Magmortar and Electivire), and since Duskull has been available for so long, I think he deserves to evolve.

In my most recent playthrough I trained a Dusclops for the first time, and I have grown quite close to him. He's truly a great pokemon, but at this point I believe it can be argued that evolving one would not overpower the player. I don't want to have to scrap my bby

It would be cool if you could have some sort of sidequest or something in Goldenwood that made it available. You could always tie it in to the current Narcissa conflict.

Of course, this is all completely up to you. Thank you for making one of my favorite fangames of all time :)

I mean, I'm pretty sure the Duskull line is one of Jan's favorites, but you can't deny the fact that Dusclops can already cheese bosses using WoW+Curse. Add in Dusknoir's better bulk and uh, being able to actually do damage with regular attacks and you have yourself a VERY good Pokemon. Not expecting it until V9 but then again, it depends on if Jan is merciful.

Don't expect it anytime soon.

• Developers

Small progress has been made. Haven't been able to work on this effectively lately because of school, but now that I'm out there should be a pickup in development. Soon.

• Developers

And I appreciate that immensely. The continued support this community gives drives me to work even harder.

Since I haven't posted anything in quite a bit, have something small, but very much deserved.

A sprite update for our lovable, but problematic poison queen!

(From old to new)

448cfba14daa7ae51c5b613a73c941c5.png

And I appreciate that immensely. The continued support this community gives drives me to work even harder.

Since I haven't posted anything in quite a bit, have something small, but very much deserved.

(From old to new)

it looks nice, im a bit biased towards old venam, but it looks quite nice

(From old to new)

I really like the wilder hair an bigger flowers. Seems to suit her better, a shame she got a makeover now into a proper girl.

Edited by FairFamily

(buff intense mode)

in my opinion, a good starting move for that would be to remove the "shift" battle mode in that mode.

from there, i believe balancing the in-game fights might become easier.

I haven't played any other mode so i don't know how things are there, but at least intense mode should at least force you to have quite a variety of trained pokemon rather than just 6-7 standard pokes.

I reached until Crawli with just my standard team of Greninja / Noctowl / Cherrim / Vivillon / Houndoom / Noivern. Only after Crawli i decided to also train a Trevenant and a Carbink (yeah im a hipster who likes to try some forgotten pokemon)

And i believe that is saying a lot, since Noibat was a dead weight until Crawli, Noctowl and Cherrim being just hipster choices of mine, and Greninja having movepool problems.

Of course many fights were hard, and i got beaten a ton of times against some leaders, but i was still able to do it in the end. I could see that i could meet the conditions to beat them without having to find and train extra pokemon.

The only time in the game that i felt really hopeless desperate and thought i might need to start all over, was when i got stuck in Marianette's mansion, getting my ass kicked hard, and unable to catch any extra pokemon to help me against her. (excluding one patch of grass with nothing special). But even then, after a millenia, i managed to meet the conditions to beat her by abusing her using hyper potions on a Sleeping slaking while i was getting free turns spamming Echoed Voice with Noctowl, until it finally killed it and everything after it.

Amber was the first double battle gym leader in the game. And it was a good choice. If she was a single battle, i wouldn't have lost 10 years of my life there. More specifically, Vivillon would have swept that gym by setting up on the 1st pokemon, or just using Powder :D But with 2 pokemon hitting it at the same time, the Powder plan fell short. In the end all of my pokemon failed to do anything relevant, (greninja was outsped and KO'd by typhlosion lol). If Houndoom did not have flash fire, i miiiight have been forced to make huge team changes there.

Generally i think all battles should be doubles in intense mode. It forces you to play more strategically. Crawli and Valerie can agree to that after being both swept by a Vivillon... hell, i even swept 4 of the electric gym leader's mons with Vivillon despite being part flying.

Don't get me wrong. It is hard. but there is room for sooo much more :D

Anyway, looking forward for v8. This game is very damn interesting. Where do you even get all that inspiration and creativity?

Here's how I did it in my only playthrough (talking about intense mode, I like my game as hard as it offers me)

Venam - 1 try; Vivillon with Psybeam was avaliable, she was much more interesting as Saki's tag partner

Keta - 1 try on both; Early Misdreavus makes this hella simple, in case it faints, you can always use your Bounce Palpitoad. If I did not have access to Misdreavus, this fight would be a whole lot different

Marianette - 3 tries; Had Infernape, I suppose any fighting type that can take a hit or outspeed will do. Her Cinccino is completely useless

Narcissa - more than 10, 20, 30... hell I don't know, she was mean; Tailwind Pidgeot and Mismagius did all the work in the end, would probably be much easier if I caught that pesky shadow Tangela. Very cool battle, Spiritomb AI could be more persistent about Hypnosis instead of switching it to Spite at random times.

Valerie - 1 try; Sawsbuck and Crobat bitch slapped her back to Akuwa Town. A well made battle though. Confuse Ray made Milotic hit itself 4 damn times

Crawii - 1 try; Hardest part about this guy was his puzzle

Angie - 4 tries; Lucky I had Magneton and Infernape when I got trapped, could have just as easily be wrong pokemon which would have made me start the game all over again. Well made battle, I liked it very much, maybe add Articuno to her team. Or is that going to happen later on?

Amber - 2 tries; First try Typhlosion solo nailed my entire team, second time Raichu got +4 and destroyed her. All of this could have been different if her Rotom did not decide to spam thunderbolts into my Raichu slot. This battle feels great though, probably because it's the first gym double battle.

Electric whatshisface - 1 try; Not much to say, it got a little tight in the end but I was prepaired for it since the info about his pokemon type is given to you way ahead of time. Maybe if he had a Mega pokemon and Zapdos. Otherwise I liked it, well made

Almost all of them were done without potions, I spent way too much on pokeballs. Keep in mind that since the beginning I was being sort of careful to swap around my pokemon to get them at least a little bit properly EV trained. After Narcissa destroyed me, I actually decided to EV train all the new pokemon I am going to use.

While I did not fail at gyms a lot, they are not by any means easy. Usually I had an answer to them, especially if the game gave me a little information as in what type am I facing. I believe moving Misdreavus somewhere later in the game would solve a lot, moving Emolga for example already made things harder.

Anyway those are some brief thoughts that nobody asked me about. Can't wait for V8 of my favorite fan game.

Edited by LemonJones