We make Pokémon Reborn. Ask Us Anything.

Kurotsune

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it feels as if you aren't really a part of the story. Just experience all the other characters stories as you tag along.

That sounds a bit generalized and overly negative if you say it like that.

Factually yes, the MC doesn't have his/her very "own" story, but think of the format a Pokémon game offers.
The best one could do is add specialized dialogue/scenes here and there
(thinking of it, that reminds me of the support system in Fire Emblem having to be implemented in a totally linear game).
There never was a lot of "role" in Pokémon and it's a huge field to improve on in the original game series, if they want to.
You don't even get a real story for other characters. Most of them you meet once or twice, except for your rival(s).
And it's mostly like "yo I've gotten stronger this time I'm really gonna kick your butt, but politely".
Having the little underlying romance thing in OR/AS going on was already a high high for an original game so far.
May told me she worries about me a lot. And thinks of me all the time.
And that I'm her very very very best friend.
After these words, Groudon and Kyogre cringed so hard they blew up Hoenn. :>
Back to Reborn though!
Experiencing the stories of all these characters is what somehow makes Reborn Reborn, I feel.
As a reminder, just look at all these buddies:

post-61368-0-08082200-1466860234_thumb.png

And those aren't even all the characters (but almost).
They provide so many instances to sink your brain and emotions into.
Let's take a rather iconic scene, I heard it involves a diary or something.
Did I think the decision to tell or hide the story would have a real effect on the progression? No. (Emmeryn??)
Did I spend hours thinking about it, describing the situation to friends abstractly (since I'm gonna make them play E16)
and asking about their take on the situation before deciding? Totally YES.
Should things like these affect if other characters are hell of a lot pissed about you? I agree with you, ideally they should.
BUT:
Working through the whole game again and again to figure out the best way to influence all the relationships... whew.
It would not only be "what actions give me - or + for which characters", but also how to be -authentic- about it, leading into myriads of dialogue.
The workload seems excessive and it sounds like a last-official-release (or even a modding) phantasy.
I am not taking away from the idea itself though, it would round out the MC for sure,
and not to forget, some groundwork relationship variables will already be set with E16, iirc.
The whole region and story is filled with so much life by all these good/evil/wonderful/Fern/crazy/lovely/... characters.
There was only one game series that took a comparable toll on my emotions concerning its characters, which was Mass Effect.
I think all that we can think of to ask for are comparatively exotic icings on the cake!

Yes, I do realize it would be a ton of work to make a completely fleshed out system with multiple options, but starting with just a few characters might be more manageable. Characters like Victoria and Cain make the most sense as we have the most interaction with them.

But eventually adding in more and more would be the goal.

-Taka and Cal both seem like promising male options. (Samson too?)

-Victoria, Laura, Luna, Julie, Florina, Ciel, Sapphira, Titania, Amaria, or even Serra could make good female options.

-Cain and Adrien both seem like they could be more "pan" options.

I'm not sure about the ages, but I'm pretty sure Shelly, Heather, Noel, Charlotte, and Anna are all under-aged, so that would make things a bit awkward if they were options.

Edited by NaughtyNomad

I don't know if it's been asked or answered before ( in that case I'm extremely sorry)...but couldn't help asking it...I am really really very much curious to know the story of Lin. Who actually is she?? and how and why does she know everything about Saphira?

And is there a chance that she is Ame herself?

I don't know if it's been asked or answered before ( in that case I'm extremely sorry)...but couldn't help asking it...I am really really very much curious to know the story of Lin. Who actually is she?? and how and why does she know everything about Saphira?

Major plot details aren't going to be spoiled in this thread.

I'd assume everything will be revealed in time, but not in this thread.

Major plot details aren't going to be spoiled in this thread.

I'd assume everything will be revealed in time, but not in this thread.

Speaking of that here's a major plot detail:

I've spoken to Ame and we've decided to reveal Lin's real identity since everyone keeps asking about it. DO NOT LOOK AT THE SPOILER BELOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED. You have been warned.

tumblr_static_it_was_me_dio.jpg

Do I get bonus points for actually guessing that exact thing? Or did you folks make it too predictable?

Anyways, I'm just hoping that the nice potion lady near the train station is happy.

And I'm curious: what about the train station itself? Does it get fixed? Can the MC hop on a train and flee Reborn enter it and explore? Or will it be a building with an NPC policeman in front preventing access?

I think somewhere, either here or in the E16 discussion, it was said romancing was unlikely/not-occurring, but I fail to recall the exact words or context. screw memory, tbh

Speaking of that here's a major plot detail:

I've spoken to Ame and we've decided to reveal Lin's real identity since everyone keeps asking about it. DO NOT LOOK AT THE SPOILER BELOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED. You have been warned.

Meanwhile, I guessed butts. Can't ever be safe with you.

Edited by Cobalt996

Do I get bonus points for actually guessing that exact thing? Or did you folks make it too predictable?

Anyways, I'm just hoping that the nice potion lady near the train station is happy.

And I'm curious: what about the train station itself? Does it get fixed? Can the MC hop on a train and flee Reborn enter it and explore? Or will it be a building with an NPC policeman in front preventing access?

Speaking of train station, will we ever visit Mysidia? How far is Mysidia from Reborn? How different Mysidia from Reborn? I'm really curious about Mysidia and that intriguing Railcave. What kind of force resides in that labyrinth?

I already saw the answer about Mysidia. It was another fan game deriving from an online league started at the same time than Reborn. But it was abandonned long ago, and Ame said she might remove references to it (though keeping them is fine to me, it's now part of Reborn even if only a few people remembers the origin of the name). And Mysidia rail cave is just next Chrysolia forest, so the mess inside was simply caused by Abra I guess

• Administrators

What type did Charlotte's mum use? If she used fire as well she was the Gym Leader even before Cal right? Where is/was Cal's Gym?

Confirmed Fire. We'll get to Dad later of course.

Cal's gym was in the city, some building that's probably been renovated and re-purposed by now.

Q:What inspired you guys to have hidden abilities to be non event and just random like normal abilities?

Q:As all gym leaders are based on real people how was the real shade just as mysterious and ominous or much more open than that?

Q:Whats the inspiration behind the name of Mr.Bigglesworth?

Q:Will You Marry ME?

-The game was based off of our online league on PO. Our server on PO allowed all Hidden Abilities, so I made it the same in-game. Plus, it'd be fun to be able to play through a game with those as opposed to normally being denied them in the main series.

-All leaders are based on their counterparts on the online league. In the league, Shade's character was much as we see him here. He appeared. He did his battles. He spoke mostly in ellipses and the occasional smiley face. And on rare occasions he would leave some cryptic poem about the other members or leaders. His actor also didn't really talk much. Playing Shade was the most I saw of him.

-ah fuck. I don't remember the details, Ice might, because he was the one who came up with it. but basically when 5th gen was announced, An Error Occurred and Gabodor existed. I did not approve of this. It is a gross Pokemon. So Ice was trolling me about it, as he continues to do so, and linked this image:

dasutodasu__the_sexy_pokemon_by_epicspaz

and at some point he started calling Garbodor Mr.Bigglesworth i guess because it's normally a cuddly cat name or something and he was tryna get me to cuddle the damn thing. so it became a recurring joke, and Mr. Bigglesworth then became our error 404 page:

404.png

so in short:

memes.

Before episode 10, who was originally going to be in charge of cleaning up and remodeling the city, or was it going to be a general community project?

I don't remember tbh. Might've been in-game Ame and Victoria.

Are there any place to include romance options for the MC in reborn?

Since there are relationship variables, it's a possibility.

But probably not. It's hard to fall in love with a character who only speaks in Yes/No's. This isn't a game for dialogue options.

But I might do something close to it. We'll see.

spoilers/10

You can wait until E16 to see how it's doing.

Speaking of train station, will we ever visit Mysidia? How far is Mysidia from Reborn? How different Mysidia from Reborn? I'm really curious about Mysidia and that intriguing Railcave. What kind of force resides in that labyrinth?

The last post is mostly correct. It was our sister-community on PO, and its admin was making a fangame long before I started on one. I don't think it was ever finished, and the community eventually died, with most of its members coming here. By now, all in-game references to Mysidia have already been replaced.

Mysidia was going to be an island region, iirc so it would have been quite a distance.

Mysidia was going to be an island region? From what I heard, 7th gen Pokemon were going to be on an island, too.... You don't suppose that the island containing all of the 7th gen Pokemon would be called Mysidia, would you? Just an interesting theory that quickly developed.

I just have one question.

How fun is it to work on this game?

"Meh"

it alternates between very long stretches of menial, simple work and small bursts of actually interesting things. That's from the code perspective at least.

The work itself isn't mad fun (again code perspective) but it's enjoyable. And it's fulfilling.

• Developers

How did the move relearner manage to lose her key in the at the time locked Underground Railnet behind a wall we had to smash to get through?

• Developers

How did the move relearner manage to lose her key in the at the time locked Underground Railnet behind a wall we had to smash to get through?

My guess is it fell in a crack and ended up under ground have you seen those god forsaken streets

more fun than a adrenilin rush but since I dont deal with programing that might be why

2 questions that I have

Will 12 characters ever be allowed for nicknames?

What in the world is that ring in sherly's hair specifically called I've tried finding a real life equivalent and having no luck?

She probably dropped it during the plant infestation and it fell down through the chasms.

Or it was picked up by an errant Magnetite and landed there when he reversed the polarity.

• Developers

And Mysidia rhymes with Aloha so I think that's a confirmed yes.

T​hey're on to us!

Now, perhaps it's because I'm honing my skills and learning as I'm going along, but I really enjoy it. It can be frustrating at times, but most things that are worth doing have the capacity for frustration. I like it a lot and I can definitely say it's very satisfying and fulfilling.