We make Pokémon Reborn. Ask Us Anything.

Kurotsune

• Administrators

Next question (i wonder if i'm ever going to stop): looking back to previous episodes is there a part of the plot that you would retcon?

Yeah, and I've considered going through with it anyway (but I don't think I will). Namely, changing the scenarios around Corey/Kiki's battles so that they aren't gym leaders (and thereby people aren't disappointed when they don't get a badge). I made them leaders in-game and planned on that so that I could get both those two, and Aya/Samson's battles in the storyline, but that denial of the badges has caused a lot more frustration than I ever expected.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably change Terra's magic matrix dreamland for something else because I think it's silly, but eh, holywood software engineering is hardly a sin at this point.

But...but what about that gen 1 nostalgia?

Yeah, and I've considered going through with it anyway (but I don't think I will). Namely, changing the scenarios around Corey/Kiki's battles so that they aren't gym leaders (and thereby people aren't disappointed when they don't get a badge). I made them leaders in-game and planned on that so that I could get both those two, and Aya/Samson's battles in the storyline, but that denial of the badges has caused a lot more frustration than I ever expected.

People always complain (i do it all the time), i think it was something new/unexpected a deviation (of sorts) from the canon Pokemon games

Question: is there a character from another (non Pokemon) game that you would like to see in Reborn?

But...but what about that gen 1 nostalgia?

People always complain (i do it all the time), i think it was something new/unexpected a deviation (of sorts) from the canon Pokemon games

Question: is there a character from another (non Pokemon) game that you would like to see in Reborn?

Not from another game, but I've asked Amethyst to let me make a cameo a thousand times.

She said I could do it when the stars divided; God knows what that means.

What is your favorite/least favorite field effect and why (if you've played Reborn through)?

What has been the hardest part of Reborn for you (with regards to... what you do, I guess?)?

Edited by Cobalt996

Have you guys managed to solve the TImburr puzzle w/o the use of that program?

As there is still no consistent way to solve that puzzle legitimately, are there any thoughts on changing it?

I'm confused.

No idea what this program is, yet 1000% sure I've solved this puzzle. Care to elaborate?

- do you plan to make super old releases available at some point?
- at what point will reborn be finished/how much engame content have you planned/thought about/seriously considered?

There's also a move we tried to implement that was impossible to get to work properly so we gave it a new functionality and now it's a reaaaally good move on a particular pokémon (despite the fact that the original move isn't good at all) and the fact that I'm fairly confident no one will ever figure out what I'm talking about is probably the most subtly evil thing we've done.

- since you don't seem like you'd like to reveal which move it is or how it works (would love to know though!), how different is it from the original effect?
- who created terra's battle sprite? would they mind me using it as a custom showdown avatar?
@Ame
- your favorite and least favorite name change that you've given yourself?
big fan of the games, thanks for making something great. i can't wait to play the rest of it!
Edited by Nails

As there is still no consistent way to solve that puzzle legitimately, are there any thoughts on changing it?

I believe it is possible to solve the puzzle 4 moves iirc (might not be exact, but that should be pretty close). I'm not part of the development team, but I suppose a modder or anyone could answer that. Just because you think it's impossible doesn't mean it is. Just have to think outside the box a bit.

As for the whole translation thingy, unless there's a program and someone very fluent with both english and said language, it's a very very tedious process. It'd be simple for a modder to translate, but there's a lot of hurdles required to do so. It would also require a modder to completely redo the whole process for each episode due to alterations in texts. It's a lot of work and something that probably I wouldn't even consider until a final release of the game. I can't exactly answer it but this is kind of my perspective after tinkering with the game enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do actually have a question though. When did the idea of doing field effects come about, and did you ever consider not doing them at some point?

- since you don't seem like you'd like to reveal which move it is or how it works (would love to know though!), how different is it from the original effect?

TL;DR it lets some pokémon escape stuff they shouldn't and the AI doesn't know how to counter it because it assumes it does its original effect

• Administrators

Nope. I don't see a reason for that.

What is your favorite/least favorite field effect and why (if you've played Reborn through)?

What has been the hardest part of Reborn for you (with regards to... what you do, I guess?)?

I answered the first one already...

I think my favorite is also the Glitch Field. The concept is both cool as hell and pretty funny I think. I'm super proud of how the visuals for it turned out. And like was alluded to before, it forces people to change how they approach battles pretty radically-- not only that, but in a way that many players were once already used to thinking about, so it doesn't feel like too much of a loop.

My least favorite........ okay. Spoilers. My least favorite is one of the fields coming up in E16 because it is literally 5x as much work as every other field, and making the backgrounds for it was a particular hell that I had to try to do like 8 different times (times 5!!). The coding for it, which I'll be doing in a few days, will not be much easier either.

It'll be pretty clear which field this is when it's announced though.

The hardest part for me has been trying to find a balance between my desire work on the project, and my emotional/physical limits. I enjoy doing this, and I want to get it done. However, there are also many other things I want to do, a lot of games I want to play, things to watch, other projects and interests, and I'll never have enough time for any of it. I feel like Reborn is most important, so for a time I ignored all of that other stuff to keep working on it every moment I could. Then my hands shut down.

So it's a continual struggle for me to at once weigh my desire to work harder, against other goals, needs, and my actual capability.

I know it's nowhere close to being a top priority, but have any of you talked about (or at least considered) releasing the game in other languages different from English?

Would you ever consider / Would you think it's worth to get the game translated into other languages?

I can't do this myself, but the project will be open to modding/translation after it's complete (there's not much use in doing it before then anyway since things would have to be redone with each release)

If I had solved it, I wouldn't remember.

But I don't think a program is necessary; just the easy way out. As such I have no interest in changing it.

(That said, there -was- a glitch that made it a little wonky and maybe that's what you're referring to. But that was fixed-- either for 15 or 16, I can't remember. The glitch did not make it unsolvable though.)

- do you plan to make super old releases available at some point?

- at what point will reborn be finished/how much engame content have you planned/thought about/seriously considered?

- who created terra's battle sprite? would they mind me using it as a custom showdown avatar?

@Ame

- your favorite and least favorite name change that you've given yourself?

Nope

E19 will be the last episode. And uh, it's hard to quanitfy it, but there should be a fair bit of individual stuff/places in the end, but it probably won't be as expansive as things in the main story.

An NPC explains the change.

I did, and you're certainly free to use it

If you mean like, my forum name changes? Almost all of those are other people doing that to me with the old shop item for it, lol..But favorite among those would be, Poptart? cuz it's kinda cute. Least favorite would be fucco-san because idk the reference and based on other stuff I'm p sure I don't want to. Also it sounds gross. Like fuccboi. nty.

I do actually have a question though. When did the idea of doing field effects come about, and did you ever consider not doing them at some point?

They were an idea I had and mentioned in a very very old topic on this forum, like, when 4th gen was just winding down. The topic was something like, what do you want to see in the new generation of games, and I mentioned it there and got really excited about it. I tried to find the topic, but couldn't. BUT, I did find this topic from 2012 before I had any real intention to make this game, where I was talking about what some field effects might be like.

Somewhere during the E10-11 development cycle I remembered this topic (although I didn't find or reference it, so a lot of the ideas are different) and was really excitedly talking Dan about 'wait can we actually do this???' because even though I had this idea, and even though I was making the game, I hadn't thought it would be possible/practical to put something like Field Effects in when I myself barely knew any scripting. He was just like 'in a word, yes' and promised we'd figure it out and then he disappeared and left me to do it all alone q~q but that was probably for the best and it's okay cuz he came back and i learned things<3

ah shoot i really wanna look through this topic and see how different/similar it ended up but i have to go to work, rip. I'll let you guys comment on that. but at a glance pretty much all of these, even mael's idea, went on to become fields and some of them are fairly faithful... the ones that didn't were the indoor field and the dirt path because lolboring.

Semi-unrelated, while looking through topics I also found this now mildly-amusing thing, though nothing came of this iteration. and then this topic in which i actually found essentials and started working on it that is responsible for what now exists.

(also fun fact the image i posted in that thread that is now broken was a screen shot from a previous iteration of what will go on to become Starlight Divide (which is really sad because i REALLY liked how it had turned out visually-- it was way way way prettier than reborn))

TL;DR it lets some pokémon escape stuff they shouldn't and the AI doesn't know how to counter it because it assumes it does its original effect

tbh I don't think the AI knows about the original effect either.

and how does one even 'counter' that. ._.;

Nope. I don't see a reason for that.

Aw, you don't like the idea of having an Easter egg in the form of a character like Melia saying "Ha, you think this place is bad? This is NOTHING compared to my hometown"?

• Developers

Why are the goons in Reborn not armed?

I can't speak for everyone, but if facing terrorists, I would be significantly more scared of them having 90% of pokemon than a gun. Even some of the weaker pokemon could probably royally fuck up a person. Basically anything that's not LC viable, and PLENTY of things that ARE LC viable, has potential to be a complete killing maching.

tl;dr, they ARE armed. But not with something silly like guns. But with freaking monsters.

Edited by Marcello

I can't speak for everyone, but if facing terrorists, I would be significantly more scared of them having 90% of pokemon than a gun. Even some of the weaker pokemon could probably royally fuck up a person. Basically anything that's not LC viable, and PLENTY of things that ARE LC viable, has potential to be a complete killing maching.

tl;dr, they ARE armed. But not with something silly like guns. But with freaking monsters.

That is obvious except...coughTyranytardidn'tkillcough...ahem as i was saying guns are way faster and can "put down" your opponent before they launch a Pokeball, it always seemed strange to me that all these "terrorist" groups never use weapons (except bombs but those are probably Pokemon too)

That is obvious except...coughTyranytardidn'tkillcough...ahem as i was saying guns are way faster and can "put down" your opponent before they launch a Pokeball, it always seemed strange to me that all these "terrorist" groups never use weapons (except bombs but those are probably Pokemon too)

I'd think in a world where you have access to monsters with all sorts of powers and abilities weapons development would be heavily stunted.

Edited by Mighty Kamina

I'd think in a world where you have access to monsters with all sorts of powers and abilities weapons development would be heavily stunted.

I'd think so too but it's not (if we look at the anime)

And to not lose time i have another question: how many months (years for some) have you spent on the development of the game? How much time you spend every day?

• Administrators

Aw, you don't like the idea of having an Easter egg in the form of a character like Melia saying "Ha, you think this place is bad? This is NOTHING compared to my hometown"?

...Uh, non-Pokemon games were specified, weren't they?

Why are the goons in Reborn not armed?

Above responses are spot on.

And to not lose time i have another question: how many months (years for some) have you spent on the development of the game? How much time you spend every day?

I started in March of 2012, so we're going on four years ._.;

As for time, for a lot of that time I worked on it every day in class, so that would have been like, what, 4-5 hours at school, and then plus most of my spare time when I was home or in between classes... (unless I was having a motivational flub in which case I'd just go play league for 13 hours straight or something)... On average, it was probably anywhere from 8-14 hours per day. There have been times I flat out don't do anything else.

Lately I'm trying to enforce a schedule on myself which has me working on it 7 hours a day reliably, ideally minimizing times where I feel like I should work, but don't. However I often get interrupted in that time.

What is your end goal that you hope to achieve when you finish Reborn and what will happen to the community once the project is finished? Will the site change to sponsor both Reborn and your new project?

Nails, on 25 Dec 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:snapback.png

An NPC explains the change.

Do consider what kind of tactical application this may have :)

Edited by GenOneRaisedGenY

• Developers

how many months (years for some) have you spent on the development of the game? How much time you spend every day?

I believe it was early early August I joined the team. Announcement topic was the 1st, although I think I was still focused on leaning and whatnot then... Either way, about 5 months, I think?

My question is about the future: what do you think you'll be doing 5 years from now?

Wow, 5 years. I'll be 24. With any luck, I'll be in a phd program of some sort by then. And also still working on Episode 16.