About Reborn in game timeline...

Jaromir

This question popped in my head recently while I was thinking about making Reborn as a story. As I like to plan ahead, I tried to make a timeline to see how long the story would be.

That's where it hit me. How much time passed from episode 10 to 15? At the end of E10, Adrienn was starting to organize a city-wide reconstruction, and in E15 we got to know that the city has been rebuild.

Logically speaking, (while taking into consideration that taking help from pokemon somehow accelerate the work) it should be at least month worth of time. That would make an average 7 days gaps between the episodes. So it's all set? Well...there's one thing.

At the begining of E13 Amaria and Titania fall down the waterfall. Following that, Titania was locked at the entrance section and only PC arrival opened the further part. Now, how much time Titania spend down there? Considering that the lack of food, the average time it takes to die from starvation and her physical state when PC arrives it should take less then 4 or 5 days.

This automaticly decreases time from episodes 13-15, but this would mean that episodes 11 and 12 took more then 4 weeks.

Well, let's stop this rumble for now. It may be just me nitpicking or just a small plot hole. But which is it? I would like to know your opinions about this if you wish.

TL DR: Do anyone have an idea how much time passes in game as we go through the episodes? How long it took to rebuild Reborn City?

Edited by Jaromir

It's possible to survive quite a long time without food - without water you won't last very long, but I'm not sure whether the water from the waterfall is relatively safe to drink or not - if you assume that it is, then it's possible to last about a month potentially without food (admittedly, if she had gone that long without eating anything at all she probably wouldn't be in any kind of condition to fight even if she could still be alive).

It's possible to survive quite a long time without food - without water you won't last very long, but I'm not sure whether the water from the waterfall is relatively safe to drink or not - if you assume that it is, then it's possible to last about a month potentially without food (admittedly, if she had gone that long without eating anything at all she probably wouldn't be in any kind of condition to fight even if she could still be alive).

Not to mention that she was at least a bit beaten up by the time you find her, and she seems to have difficulties even standing up and walk, so I have doubts on how much is from starvation and how much is from the fall itself, not to mention infections.

I think the best way to look at it is from your own viewpoint of how long time took for each episode and events as well as reasons to why characters are able to wait so long etc. being the Author of a story the creativity if how Truth, Reality and where to throw in Fiction is strictly in your hands

• Global Mods

Time is weird in video games. It probably takes several hours to climb all the way up a mountain, but playing the game it doesn't take that long because (most?) games aren't designed to have you spend several hours just getting through one area. Just like you don't eat or sleep in most games unless you choose to or the plot requires it in a specific instance.

Anyway, I'd guess a few weeks.

I figure rebuilding reborn doesn't take as long as it does IRL because pokemon can build stuff like really, really fast. An 8 month project could easily be managed in like, 2 if not less when you have machamps and psychic types and whatnot.

I don't know, that machop in vermillion city has been working forever and still hasn't finished the building...

I really hope that Ame releases an official "Pokémon Reborn Event Timeline" thread. That would put so many questions to rest.

So many.

This

No one actually knows how much time passes between episodes (i think it is not "fixed" and changes from one to another). For the waterfall thing: to be able to fight (not at her best but still) Titania had to be down there for not more than a week.

• Administrators

I really hope that Ame releases an official "Pokémon Reborn Event Timeline" thread. That would put so many questions to rest.

So many.

Not happening. The timeline is necessarily vague because of differences in in-game choices and interpretations of how game events translate into real time. In a more linear/story-based game it would be fine, but not this one.

Understandable as far as it goes for the current game.
But once the game is completed, would it be possible to get a bief timeline of pre-game events?
I'd be more than interested in knowing some approximate dates for certain events, like various steps Team meteor took to ensure Reborn's downfall, or even just stuff like the deaths of characters who died previously to the start of the story (Corey's wife, the Belrose parents, the Seijaya parents, Lyssa, etc) or things like when Lin joined and/or took over Meteor...

Obviously we can't have that yet, since there's still a lot of history for us to uncover, but once the game's final release is over, it would be cool to have an overview over pre-game history.

Not happening. The timeline is necessarily vague because of differences in in-game choices and interpretations of how game events translate into real time. In a more linear/story-based game it would be fine, but not this one.

Huh, okay. Which storyline choices would affect the pace at which the timeline proceeds?

Forgive me if I don't fully understand, but is it not okay to have a single correct, "canon" interpretation?

Huh? What exactly do you mean? There are some choices that unlock the "secret ending", but they don't really change the time that much, unless the ones in the future episodes will.

Or is it about sidequests? Like "Titania is starving at the bottom of the waterfall while we wait untill Saturday to search for Lapras" type of thing?

While this "freedom" is interesting, I think a brief timeline would still be interesting. Even if you do every single sidequests in Reborn, not much time can best between those. At the same time, Reborn city is supposed to be pretty big, so I have no idea how long it would take to travel from Obsidia to Beryl, for example. Still, there are some things that can probably be timed though, if we assume the trainer only gets specific pokémons, and moves forward.

At the same time, I think some things might not make sense anyway. How long are you supposed to be locked in Agate, so that Reborn City gets a makeover? That would take more than a few months, I guess.

Basically: A timeline would be interesting, but I can see why it wouldn't work exactly.

Once the game is finished though, we as a community could still look into it. Some kind of non-official timeline maybe~

• Administrators

Or is it about sidequests? Like "Titania is starving at the bottom of the waterfall while we wait untill Saturday to search for Lapras" type of thing?

This. I can't account for if the player speed-runs everything post-Agate, or if they spend time grinding up a full new rotation because they can't beat Charlotte.

If you wanna make Reborn as a story i suggest just playing through the game as you do it and pick what happens to make it more realistic(well its a rpg game we talkin about u dont need to be that realistic maybe) and just make up times as you go based on how much you did in that episode.

This. I can't account for if the player speed-runs everything post-Agate, or if they spend time grinding up a full new rotation because they can't beat Charlotte.

Again, I don't think it's unreasonable to separate the player's gameplay time from the canonical timeframe in which the plot progresses.

For example, the player spends two weeks grinding up the aforementioned new rotation for Charlotte, but as far as the story is concerned, it's still only been a couple of days since Amaria and Titania jumped down the Cascade.