[Spoilers] E16 Status Discussion

Amethyst

I suppose it makes sense if you're coming from the perspective that adding in the starters before any of the other 100+ is such a terrible thing. In my mind, I just don't see it that way. Alas, my opinion doesn't matter as it's not my project. So feel free to ignore :P.

Although, I will mention that some "normal" pokemon are still not in the game that don't seem to fall into the categories you listed above. (Talonflame, Cloister, Gengar, Slowking, etc)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it makes sense if you're coming from the perspective that adding in the starters before any of the other 100+ is such a terrible thing. In my mind, I just don't see it that way. Alas, my opinion doesn't matter as it's not my project. So feel free to ignore :P.

Although, I will mention that some "normal" pokemon are still not in the game that don't seem to fall into the categories you listed above. (Talonflame, Cloister, Gengar, Slowking, etc)

Talonflame's basically a murdering machine that destroys anything that doesn't resist Flying and a Shell Smash+Skill Link Cloyster can basically annihilate anything that isn't a physical wall. Gengar and Slowking are still strong, but not as crazy strong like Talonflame or Cloyster though.

Gengar was actually axed inbetween episode 14 and 15(Rip to those who started in Ep 15), so technically it was in game before then. That said, Cloyster and Talonflame, as mentioned before, kind of dunk on pretty much everything ever. Slowking/Slowbro are kind of peculiar to me, but I can see why Ame hasn't put them in yet. Proper setup can make those things nearly impossible to kill, with combination of Regnerator and reliable recovery in Slack Off, alongside good STAB in Water/Psychic. With that said, I have to assume in Episode 16 we're going to get maybe one or two of the missing pieces at this point. I'd probably guess the Slowpoke line given it probably can do the least amount of damage to game balance.

Talonflame's basically a murdering machine that destroys anything that doesn't resist Flying and a Shell Smash+Skill Link Cloyster can basically annihilate anything that isn't a physical wall. Gengar and Slowking are still strong, but not as crazy strong like Talonflame or Cloyster though.

Having been gifted with a Fletchling for my custom bird run, I can say that Talonflame is most definitely NOT the murdering machine in Reborn as it probably is in the official games (I have yet to play Gen VI... or Gen V, for that matter). Don't get me wrong, priority Acrobatics with Gale Wings is pretty sweet and mine absolutely murdered Kiki, but there have been no similar sweeps before then or since. It's strong against random encounters and trainers, but gym leaders and important battles? Kiki aside, Talonflame cannot last long against what Reborn has in store.

It's certainly possible that Talonflame's real potential comes competitively and/or with the proper TM setup, or that I just suck, but in my run, Talonflame is a sidekick at best. If you wanna talk murder machines, my Aromatisse has racked up probably 4x the kill count than Talonflame ever got.

But back on topic, I'd rather they focus on completing the game and implementing the mons from Gen I-VI, than think about how they'll implement Gen VII. I'm probably just patient because Sun & Moon isn't even out yet so I don't have too much to be hyped for, and because Gens I-VI already has, what, around 700 mons to work with? I think we have enough Pokemon to keep us busy.

Having been gifted with a Fletchling for my custom bird run, I can say that Talonflame is most definitely NOT the murdering machine in Reborn as it probably is in the official games (I have yet to play Gen VI... or Gen V, for that matter). Don't get me wrong, priority Acrobatics with Gale Wings is pretty sweet and mine absolutely murdered Kiki, but there have been no similar sweeps before then or since. It's strong against random encounters and trainers, but gym leaders and important battles? Kiki aside, Talonflame cannot last long against what Reborn has in store.

It's certainly possible that Talonflame's real potential comes competitively and/or with the proper TM setup, or that I just suck, but in my run, Talonflame is a sidekick at best. If you wanna talk murder machines, my Aromatisse has racked up probably 4x the kill count than Talonflame ever got.

But back on topic, I'd rather they focus on completing the game and implementing the mons from Gen I-VI, than think about how they'll implement Gen VII. I'm probably just patient because Sun & Moon isn't even out yet so I don't have too much to be hyped for, and because Gens I-VI already has, what, around 700 mons to work with? I think we have enough Pokemon to keep us busy.

Talonflame is strong competitively because there it has swords dance, which alongside Gale Wings is broken. Reborn has wisely not given us the TM, or the game would be too easy to sweep.

Talonflame is strong competitively because there it has swords dance, which alongside Gale Wings is broken. Reborn has wisely not given us the TM, or the game would be too easy to sweep.

Swords Dance would be broken on a lot of mons; no wonder Ame's holding out on us. It would definitely make Talonflame the powerhouse everyone claims it is, but in Reborn, without those super special awesome TMs, it's really not all that impressive. My Talonflame could do good damage but not quite enough, leaving her vulnerable to counterattacks that could take her down easily. I wouldn't have given this much thought if I hadn't heard the rumors of Talonflame being a one-mon army, so imagine my disappointment when I was blessed with a banned murder machine for a custom run, only to find out that a pink fluffy fairy thing wound up being far more useful overall.

I wonder, since Swords Dance is currently banned, why Talonflame hasn't been added yet. Getting one before Kiki would be an awful idea. It'd probably even be an awful idea getting it before Samson, heck, maybe even before Blake. But without Swords Dance, which is a key element to its murder sprees, what's the harm including it at least in post-Agate areas?

Edited by Timber Dragon

The important thing to remember is that it's all about balance. Some people have already mentioned how Gengar was in the game, but was taken out because it was too good, or how Talonflame hasn't been put in because it annihilates most of the metagame. But a part of why we don't have certain mons is because their's nowhere that fits for them to be at. For example there isn't anywhere that seems appropriate for a ferrothorn, but going back to balance there are some mons who would fit in perfectly in some places, but would make the game too easy. For example Cloyster would be perfect for Amitrine Mountain, but considering the last 2 gym leaders were ground and flying type trainers a mon like Cloyster would make the game too easy. Try to remember this next part. While it's not an iron-clad rule for EVERY mon, for the most part rather then give you a super powerful mon when it would make the game not as challenging, Ame would rather hold off and give it to you after it's not as useful. Like I said this isn't ALWAYS the case ( for instance you can get a Galvantule right before the Psychic and Dark type leaders ), but that's how it has to be most of the time, otherwise the game wouldn't be as challenging and therefor not as fun.

I don't want to turn this thread to another 'why should/shouldn't talon be in game' thread, but brokeness is not always what matters! Ame has make a wonderful work to make us use the less used mons more and that imo is what make reborn unique!!! Let's say adding Talonflame after Kiki/Samson is a good idea, what will make me use it over other flying or even fire types at that point? Amazing speed tier and priority makes it better than any other bird and most of the fire types at that point. And priority Roost makes healing items less used, thus more money efficient (at this point I want to say to Ame to reduce the money earned from daily trainers at Grand Hall now that they became a grindfest).

Let's say adding Talonflame after Kiki/Samson is a good idea, what will make me use it over other flying or even fire types at that point?

Braviary can take a punch.

BUT ANYHOO onto the actual topic, I still think that getting the Gen VII mons implemented should be a fairly low priority. If the developers want it to be an all-or-nothing deal for when Reborn's finished and there's one big project to implement them afterwards, then I'm okay with that. We already have 700 of the things so I'm not exactly starving for the new ones when the ones we already have haven't been implemented for one reason or another.

Everybody is talking about getting new Pokemon and I'm sitting here, hoping Ame or perhaps Mde will show us another of those awesome new attacking animations ;)

By the way, was there a discussion on what new pokemon we will meet next episode?

I think that most non-starter water pokemon will probably be available as we will have access to underwater Azurine Lake. I have to say I'm pretty excited for staryu ^_^

Apart from that, would expect charmander to be made available as he seems to be one of the weakest not-yet-available pokemon.

So who else do you expect to appear?

Edited by Nadrel

So I wonder who else is in the Elite 8? I forgot who specifically we already know is in it. Any guesses?

I believe Laura might get back into the Elite 8 somehow. Also, I think we'll be introduced to more characters later on in the game.

As with meeting new people, I can't really imagine that we'll be meeting new people besides maybe the champion because we know every gym leader and elite 4 member (Heather, Anna, Elias and (I think) Bennett/Laura)

i think that the starter that will be added in this episode is one between treecko,oshawot or charmander.yeah charizard is not as good as people say it is(very difficult to set up with dragon dance or even belly drum,because its defences suck)

Btw, I'm not going to say much else on Gen VII until February since I don't really know if some crazy person/group is going to try and mod Gen VII into Reborn or we're all just going to wait for the final episode. There's just a lot that needs to be sorted out while we wait.

Now for the dreaded Talonflame topic. I think we've already reached that point where adding the non OP to hell mons is kind of okay to do. What I'm talking about is that people really aren't going to want to grind up a brand new mon when their team is already competent to reach the end. As for Talonflame, I feel it should've been added in the wild for Route 3 with Staraptor, but to each their own as it falls from grace compared to other birds in its department. Quite a few Pokemon can be shoved into that categoery so it's not really that extreeme to start breaking them out, but who knows what Episode 16 will bring. I'm kind of predicting we'll be doing a lot of hunting this go around though slashing off everything but the desert mons, the ubers, and the pseudos. The episodes to follow will just make those missable events catchable and only add a few more.

So I wonder who else is in the Elite 8? I forgot who specifically we already know is in it. Any guesses?

You're getting your games mixed up bro, Reborn only has the classic 4. As for who they are, the only ones confirmed in the game right now are Heather and El. Laura WAS a member, but he got booted out ( most likely because El pulled some shady shit to get Bennett in ). As for who the E4 could be WHEN WE FIGHT THEM, my money is on Laura, Bennett, Heather, Arclight, in that order with Anna as the Champion. Other possible ( though in my opinion unlikely ) candidates include Lin, El, and Fern.