[Spoilers] E16 Status Discussion

Amethyst

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking about it now, I feel so bad for the essentials team due to the flood of these questions they probably get daily. Anyways, don't expect a single Gen VII Pokemon to appear in Reborn for at least 2 years. It doesn't matter if they are easy to implement or not as Ame said she was prioritizing completing Reborn multiple times. But before asking this question you should ask these three things:

Do we have sprites for the mons? No

Do we have stats, movepool, and evolutions? No

Do we even know all the Pokemon coming out yet? No

Has essentials made an update including these new mons? No

There's a hierarchy process of the game being released to bulbapedia data to essentials updating/spriters before people are even able to add any new Pokemon into their fan games. These things take time to the point asking about it now constantly will only give you part of an answer compared to asking in about a year. But right now, just don't expect Gen VII mons in Reborn and you won't be disappointed by the hard work put into the game.

As soon as they get released, all this information will be made public. There are only two real issues:

• Spriting. This will just be time consuming. The community begins a spriting project, while Ame tries to find potent spriters and do the job herself to the extend of her capabilities and available time.
  • Implementation. With over 800 pokemon, it will be hard to re-imagine the whole map in terms of pokemon distribution, and this will take some time to plan ahead. Even when the first pokemon enter the game, there will be changes between episodes to optimize availability without breaking the game. Some new mons that have already been revealed have interesting abilities, of which we have no idea what their impact on the competitive scene will be. Until we have a clear image of the metagame, there will either be constant changes or no implementation at all. I wouldn't like the second choice as much, but it may be necessary.

I would cut it to 1 year, perhaps 1 and a half before gen7 becomes part of Reborn. Personally I doubt the game will be finished by then, but even if it is, it will feel incomplete without the most recent additions from canon games.

Edit1: We all know Reborn City is getting a makeover. This probably means that the alleyways are going to be 'redecorated'. Does this also mean that the family of Plusle and Minun in Obsidia will have to leave? Is Adrienn issuing an eviction order to innocent rodents?

I mean, technically there isn't an official "E19 Discussion" or "Post Game Stuff" or "Sun&Moon Stuff" yet, so... here we go!

9841ffd099b643e19ded5135c417b38e.png

Started with the easiest thing first, obv

I mean, technically there isn't an official "E19 Discussion" or "Post Game Stuff" or "Sun&Moon Stuff" yet, so... here we go!

27b75389c8f44b7fa933cafa3baa47fc.png

I never get how you artists manage to make these. Every time I try they end up pretty shoddy.

• Developers

27b75389c8f44b7fa933cafa3baa47fc.png

Looks a tad too big and a little too jagged on the front details of the mouth maybe put a second light gray color next to the mouth ridges

to give it just a minor detail along with getting rid of some of the black and replacing it with outline colors that match the inner color. Sorry if this came off as being too nit picky just wanted to lend constructive criticism. I really love it

Drawing over the Sugi Artwork with clean pixels does wonders~

The sprite itself is resized to 80x80 since I figured 96x96 would be too big but alas... Maybe I'll fix it sometime, or someone else can, idk

In case you're wondering if Gen VII is ever going to be in Reborn, the answer is yes. I'm like 95% sure Ame is going to do it, but it'll fall onto a group of modders (knowing me I'll probably end up being a part of it) that'll be divided into two groups: one to add the Pokemon data into Reborn and another to implement it. Both are going to take a considerable amount of time which is why it's best to wait for Reborn to be complete first.

Implementing them into the game is going to be a major pain, not because it's hard, but because it should feel like they're a part of the game, not just inserted because they're a thing now. What I mean is to not just slap them all as wild Pokemon or just a quick event mons. There will need to be at least 6 or 7 new areas added to the game if those doors do contain legendaries which also means a possible 6 or 7 pain in the ass mons to get.

In case you're wondering if Gen VII is ever going to be in Reborn, the answer is yes. I'm like 95% sure Ame is going to do it, but it'll fall onto a group of modders (knowing me I'll probably end up being a part of it) that'll be divided into two groups: one to add the Pokemon data into Reborn and another to implement it. Both are going to take a considerable amount of time which is why it's best to wait for Reborn to be complete first.

Implementing them into the game is going to be a major pain, not because it's hard, but because it should feel like they're a part of the game, not just inserted because they're a thing now. What I mean is to not just slap them all as wild Pokemon or just a quick event mons. There will need to be at least 6 or 7 new areas added to the game if those doors do contain legendaries which also means a possible 6 or 7 pain in the ass mons to get.

This is pretty much what I expected. I'm sure adding in some of the new moves and abilities will take a lot of time to implement, much less work into the game in a way that actually WORKS. It's not a small matter to make a generational change in a game like Reborn, even if it's just updating movesets.

• Developers

My question was about the Sun/Moon starters only. Seems to be they would be the obvious first pokemon from Sun/Moon to be put into the game as they only have to be added to the tables at the starts of the game.

Each starter is or will be available as event pokemon somewhere in the game so its not that easy. Plus they might have some new moves and abilities.

Edited by baldr

Starters who already have their event are the weaker ones. You can get Chikorita quickly, but you won't get Torchic until end game. If one of the new starters is weak, it will have to be implemented earlier in the story, since adding it end game would seem like adding it because you had to.

As soon as all the stats on the Pokemon are known, the data side of things isn't that bad; aside from spriting, it's just filling in a skeleton and some holes (but you are more familiar it than I so I'll just shut up now)

Adding them all over the place as encounters/events/sidequests, though... That would be painful, and I wholly support them not being adding like that at all. Making them have a special area makes them a sort of special prize for the postgame, and y'all could just take one out of Pokemon's book with the E4/Champ refights including out-of-region mons.

I'll shaddup for real now

People are talking about the Gen 7 pokemon I thought they were planned if anything for the last episode, and if so the starters of that could simply be a post game gift similar to where In the games after some major achievement like beating the game you are offered a starter from a different region.

How many starters have events now? Just a few. So obviously not talking about adding them as events. Only talking about them as STARTERS.

Just thinking about it now, I feel so bad for the essentials team due to the flood of these questions they probably get daily. Anyways, don't expect a single Gen VII Pokemon to appear in Reborn for at least 2 years. It doesn't matter if they are easy to implement or not as Ame said she was prioritizing completing Reborn multiple times.

Gen VII is pretty much an all or none type deal so I'm sorry if you can't quite put two and two together. The thing about the starters is that they will all have events since they are not wild mons which would also require thinking of an event that does not require a sprite possibly since overworld sprites haven't existed since Gen IV (well some V do), but most are fan made. It'd also be upsetting quite a number of people for just shoehorning a couple mons in and pretty much the other Gen VII mons being nonexistant. The game would also have to be updated into Gen VII mechanics likely adding new moves to these mons and possibly abilities. It's just a dogpile effect to the point you may as well have to redo half the fights in the game just to add 3 pokemon.

As soon as all the stats on the Pokemon are known, the data side of things isn't that bad; aside from spriting, it's just filling in a skeleton and some holes (but you are more familiar it than I so I'll just shut up now)

Adding them all over the place as encounters/events/sidequests, though... That would be painful, and I wholly support them not being adding like that at all. Making them have a special area makes them a sort of special prize for the postgame, and y'all could just take one out of Pokemon's book with the E4/Champ refights including out-of-region mons.

I'll shaddup for real now

Let me try to explain why I'm against throwing all of Gen VII in a post game area. Remember the Solosis that's never used? I'm sure you can think of other event Pokemon. Picture that event and times the hassle by 5. You're at the end of the game probably nearing the Gen VI Pokedex completion when...you know have to catch another 100 new mons which could take hours of work. Each encounter would be 2-3% so it's going to take a long while before you capture all of them. You want to use...oh wait you already have 15 mons just as good or better to go right now since you had hours upon hours to raise them. Even Gyarados would show some rust when there's nothing worth using it on.

What'll likely happen is that the weaker gen VII mons will be added as wild mons in quite a number of areas such as Jasper ward. Cutting down that super annoy and common mon in half will showcase a larger variety in that area. It could also be easy to tie some of the new Pokemon into older events such as changing the Lillipup event a smidge to include a Rockruff one as well. It's not that hard to do once the data is done. I'm very against jamming them all in one place and rather not have them at all since Reborn already showcases so many mons well. This idea would hurt more than help.

There's all this worry over implementing the Gen VII mons when we don't even have all the mons from I-VI in the game yet. I guess I'd give the issue more thought if we had more than a handful of VII's roster publicly released, but as it stands, I'm more hyped to get my Skarmory than my Rowlet.

And Gyarados too, but y'know, birbs 'n stuff.

Gen VII is pretty much an all or none type deal so I'm sorry if you can't quite put two and two together. The thing about the starters is that they will all have events since they are not wild mons which would also require thinking of an event that does not require a sprite possibly since overworld sprites haven't existed since Gen IV (well some V do), but most are fan made. It'd also be upsetting quite a number of people for just shoehorning a couple mons in and pretty much the other Gen VII mons being nonexistant. The game would also have to be updated into Gen VII mechanics likely adding new moves to these mons and possibly abilities. It's just a dogpile effect to the point you may as well have to redo half the fights in the game just to add 3 pokemon.

Eh, I don't really see why I would be an all or none deal, tbh. I do understand you might have to modify the move-sets to match the game to some degree, but I don't think it's to the degree you're suggesting. Reborn already gets easier or harder depending one what starter you choose. I highly doubt adding 3 new pokemon to the start of the game would break it to the point where you have to redo half the fights. Also I think people would be more appreciative of having SOME than NONE instead of vice-versa.

I understand there are other priorities in the game. Probably a long list of things still to be done. But since Reborn is basically THE game people go to because they want to choose from all the starters, in my mind it make sense to add at least the starters as soon as possible. But that's just my suggestion.

Reborn is not only the game where you can choose among every starter, it's also the game where you can get every pokemon. If you can't have all gen VII mons, the game will feel incomplete. Same thing if you add them all without all the new moves, abilities and mechanics. So to add them all you need to sprite them, code the new moves, abilities and mechanics, add new pokemons to the database, update the database for past gen mons whose learnset will change, modify the encounter for wild pokemons, create new events for some of them and so new areas for some of the new events. You also have to update trainers to give some gen VII mons, because if you can have them but not your opponents it will feel strange. Boss battle will have to be redone, not only to add new mons but also to rebalance the battle according to gen VII (like steel types that are not immune to poison anymore with Salandit). The smallest change implies a cascade of other changes to do things well. That's why it's all or none

All or none doesn't make any sense because the game already doesn't have all. You say it would feel incomplete if just the starters were added before the other gen 7 mons, but the game is ALREADY incomplete. Everyone knows the game is a work in progress, so no one is going to care if they don't have access to all 100+ gen 7 pokemon as soon as the the starters are available. I mean we've been playing with gen 1-6 starters and not all of the 700+ gen 1-6 pokemon are in the game, so I'm wondering why it would be different with gen 7 starters.

The difference is that the pokemons we don't have access yet are the strongest or just don't fit any place we have access now, it's not just because aren't coded. Like pseudo-legendaries (Metagross excepted) or just Gyarados which are so powerful they would break the game, or Hippopotas and other desert pokemons that will probably be available when we reach the Tourmaline desert. And they can appear in your opponent's teams. If you implement gen VII, you won't put the route 1's bird or normal type end game with Deino and Gible, you'll put them at the beginning with other weak pokemons. And you'll have to add new pokemons to your opponents' teams. And there are also the mechanics, because adding pokemons made for gen VII mechanics to a gen VI game would be ankward and could cause some issues. Maybe they will add gen VII over 2 episodes to spread the amount of work, but surely no more. And surely not just adding starters out of nowhere