Pokemon Showdown

Amethyst

• Administrators

So not like word of this hasn't already gotten out to half the server, but let's ignore that little detail.

Recently we've been considering moving to Pokemon Showdown instead of maintaining a PO server. We haven't been able to move in the past because of requirements for the Reborn League but now that that's not an issue, this is back on the table. Although PO is great, it's had an increasing number of issues, and, if the past few months are any indication, they don't seem to be terribly interested in updating their Linux build, which is especially inconvenient for us. When we joined PO, it was way ahead of its competition, but I think Showdown is the cutting edge for simulators right now.

I think there are a few advantages to doing this: First, stability. Our server has been broken in several ways, from the ladder not functioning, to Aegislash not Aegislashing, to mystery messages being spammed to users whenever I say anything ever... oops... Presumably, these are not issues that will exist in Showdown. Of course Showdown will have its own quirks, but the program itself should be less volatile at this point. Second, having a browser-based simulator means it's going to be that much easier for forum users to join the live community too, helping with integration between the forum and server. Finally, Showdown seems to be veritably more popular, which makes the experience of adjusting to this place less jarring for incoming members (it's also easier not to have to download a new program)

As a side note, we absolutely would have our own private server so everyone can still make whatever kind of channels they want and we will have control over tiers, and everything of that nature, so none of that should need to be an issue.

Now before anyone jumps to... concussions, as they say, let me clarify that we have not decided on anything yet. We're just exploring the option, and presently looking to get some feedback from the community. Such as:
  • Is this something you want to happen? Or would you rather stay on PO? Why?
  • If we did move to Showdown what features or other support would you want to make sure we retain, or would otherwise miss?
  • What other concerns do you have?
  • Anything else we should know?

Let's hear it.

• Upvote 1

Hmm i know that some (many?) people in this community are probably against it (because of past issues) but i'm favorable to the "transfer". Never really liked battling on PO, in part because you need to download the program and in part due to the user interface (that i found confusing/non practical), mainly because i was already playing on Showdown before "discovering" Reborn and was more accustomed to their interface. I play there almost everyday so if we transfer i (finally) would be more present on the server (i hope ^_^).

I'd say it's best to move to Showdown. I haven't actually touched PO, but I can tell it's unique and interesting in many ways. We could easily adjust to Showdown. Showdown is better than wasting time trying to repair & perfect PO, right?

Btw, I'm not sure if it's just me but when I try to post something directly in View All Status Updates, the first click for doesn't work.

im glad this thread hasnt been filled with 'XD LE SMOGAN HATE x)))))' yet.

i do know that the mystery messages were caused by a combination of some scripts some people were using and those scripts not understanding what auth level you were at the time. but it seems like that was stomped out so w/e.

as much as ive loved my 3 years on PO, it's time for a change. they just dont update linux as quickly anymore. and if you look around, every other pokemon community is moving to showdown. the battle system is much smoother imo and bugs get fixed right away.

does server move mean unmute for me :(

Well I haven't been about on PO much lately, but sounds pretty annoying. I have no issues with Showdown. I've been told their main server is really shitty, but that kinda sounds pretty much the same as PO

My only real issue is that it would be a browser thing (...Which is indicated as a poro XP) I like having PO be all separate-like from everything else

I personally prefer Showdown over PO. For the community's sake, I firmly argue that Showdown is simply better for those wishing to explore Reborn outside the forums; a download is typically unattractive, especially when it is one of the few options new members have to to know the community beyond the forums.

Edited by Arkhidon

Prepare to lose a turn when you try switching out vs. a shadow tagged mon!

Also prepare for Smogonite trolls coming on saying 'YOUR TIERS ARE UBERZ AND NOT REAL!'

I'd very much prefer showdown as I've had quite a few years of experience and it might make me want to show up more considering I don't have to open up the PO app to do it. You can already have the backgrounds and such customized without downloads as well. Also, I feel like there are a lot more opportunities on PS. I think it's a great idea.

im glad this thread hasnt been filled with 'XD LE SMOGAN HATE x)))))' yet.

Also prepare for Smogonite trolls coming on saying 'YOUR TIERS ARE UBERZ AND NOT REAL!'

and there it goes...

let's try to not make this a tiering discussion pls n_n

Meh. I'm not really a serious battler so something like that doesn't bother me. If the server isn't going to crash or disconect me without realizing it, I'm all for switching to showdown.

Is this something you want to happen? Or would you rather stay on PO? Why?

yea definitely; imo, showdown is a lot more reliable than po, as it doesn't have as much bugs (if not none at all lol). also, I like the theme better and I find showdown a much simpler site to join, since all I need to do is open a chrome tab whenever I feel like going on the server

If we did move to Showdown what features or other support would you want to make sure we retain, or would otherwise miss?

channels (aka rooms in showdown), same mods/etc, the tournament system. can't see anything id miss other than the unique leader sprites

What other concerns do you have?

tbh, the only concern I have with showdown is that most usernames are already taken there ]:

Anything else we should know?

I find showdown much more practical, less glitchy and a more enjoyable site to be in, so I'd absolutely love if we finally got a server of our own there

>>; To answer some questions and to prevent you guys from destroying each other.

-Nonary is still possible. So is Mafia and other forum games as we can create channels and delete them at our leisure.

-Themed games are still possible. Just without sprite so excessum league is possible

-I'm sure Smogon members aren't all willy-nilly haters. I have actually made friends with a few of the staff and it's just the massive influx of idiots who don't know what they are doing to fill up Showdown. Trust me.

EDIT: Actually Excessum League is entirely possible. Custom sprites can be achieved via coding as I have seen this first hand so it is possible. With that, Reborn League is still a possibility too...

• Upvote 1

>>; To answer some questions and to prevent you guys from destroying each other.

-Nonary is still possible. So is Mafia and other forum games as we can create channels and delete them at our leisure.

-Themed games are still possible. Just without sprite so excessum league is possible

-I'm sure Smogon members aren't all willy-nilly haters. I have actually made friends with a few of the staff and it's just the massive influx of idiots who don't know what they are doing to fill up Showdown. Trust me.

EDIT: Actually Excessum League is entirely possible. Custom sprites can be achieved via coding as I have seen this first hand so it is possible. With that, Reborn League is still a possibility too...

The custom sprites aren't even a necessity to host a League. The largest problem would be keeping track of the Trainer cards/badges etcetera, to run the Reborn League again ^_^

• Support Squad

I don't mind, depending solely on the answer of this INCREDIBLY important qeustion...

Will the nightclub command continue to exist?!

My name is taken. A VERY NEGATIVE POINT FOR SHOWDOWN >:CCC

Showdown keeps more updated. Battling is better(although seemingly slower). More reliable. Browser based. Sounds cool.

Also the whole names thing shouldn't be an issue because Reborn is making a server on showdown, so every name will be available as far as I'm aware.

For example, I password protected the name "rupe" on the main PS server, I'd have to password protect it AGAIN on Reborn's server.

The above is a lie, I just tested it.

Edited by Lil' Baby Rupe

Custom sprites are definitely implementable. When I used to co-administrate a couple of showdown servers we had a fun time messing around with custom sprites.