Pokemon Showdown

Amethyst

• Administrators

My only real issue is that it would be a browser thing (...Which is indicated as a poro XP) I like having PO be all separate-like from everything else

Although it may not be completed in the near future, I've been told PS is working on a downloadable client that can connect to any PS server.

Also prepare for Smogonite trolls coming on saying 'YOUR TIERS ARE UBERZ AND NOT REAL!'

We dealt with this when Smogon was a server on PO. We have rules in place against it. We'll live.

But will you be able to do Nonary on Showdown?

To confirm what Cow said, I have already asked about this specifically and it sounds like everything required for Nonary is in place

-I'm sure Smogon members aren't all willy-nilly haters. I have actually made friends with a few of the staff and it's just the massive influx of idiots who don't know what they are doing to fill up Showdown. Trust me.

EDIT: Actually Excessum League is entirely possible. Custom sprites can be achieved via coding as I have seen this first hand so it is possible. With that, Reborn League is still a possibility too...

To back this up, we are actually on fairly decent terms with Smogon. In the past including after they left PO they sometimes use our server to host discrete tournament matches, and so we've had some good contact with the more respectable portions of that community.

Less respectable members just get muted. ^^

Regarding League, I would really prefer if you didn't go off and say something like this. Moving to PS makes the already-extremely-unlikely league return less of a possibility because, as was alluded to by someone else, we're leaving behind all of our PO support scripts for auto badges, etc. But honestly, League's not coming back (sorry) so that should not be a factor.

Will the nightclub command continue to exist?!

Unfortunately not. Actually I've been told PS scripting is very similar to PO so while it wouldn't be completely impossible, we don't have a bored Nyu sitting around looking for things to do who would randomly code it... RIP.

Also the whole names thing shouldn't be an issue because Reborn is making a server on showdown, so every name will be available as far as I'm aware.

For example, I password protected the name "rupe" on the main PS server, I'd have to password protect it AGAIN on Reborn's server.

The above is a lie, I just tested it.

Wait, -what-? This is a huge issue, I'll admit, but how does that even work? In theory the different servers should be using entirely different databases...

After testing it too, I see. I suppose that's because they all go through psim.us or something? How annoying...

My only concern is that some of the users on PO only have access through mobile. Will the move to showdown be possible for them?

I'll find out if there's any kind of dedicated app for this

My only concern is having our own server, and I'm not sure about how back channels or anything of the sort works, or if they even exist. That's something that will /definitely/ be missed.

As was manentioned, we will have our own server so back channels at 0% an issue. Actually I think perma channels are more of a thing on PS-- could be wrong? But it might actually be easier there.

Also, what I do like about the Showdown servers is distinction between rankings. I never really figured it out cause I just thought that the + meant you were an admin or something and I didn't know how to the pokeballs distinguished ranks or anything. On Showdown there are clearly stated ranks with set privileges, authorities, and access to commands. These also differentiate, however, from the main lobby and side rooms. Side rooms have a "Room Owner" who is basically the admin of the room who has access to to every "room command" for that room only, and then lower roles like "Room Leader, Room Mod, Room Driver, etc."

I mean... that's pretty much the same as PO tbh...

I'll admit, I'm surprised there's this much support for it; I was expecting more ... well, Stewies, to reference the earlier video. But, I suppose that's just evidence of how effective it might actually be at reintegrating the community. (yyayy)

Can I be auth on the showdown server?

In all seriousness, I'm all for it. I might have to think of another name if my more known alts are taken, but it's something I can easily adapt to. I really hate how our ladder isn't working properly and it's one of the main causes for me not battling competitively as much anymore. I think change is good, and I know it will be a rocky start, but we can get through it. Before you know it we will all be used to it and things will proceed as normal.

Names are going to be a rather big problem with the switch, and while it isn't exactly convenient, I do remember there being a command to change a person's name (normally used when someone enters with a vulgar name), and people could use that name even if it was already claimed. Unfortunately, it isn't permanent either.

Won't we have our own server? We can register our own names and since the database doesn't have our news since the server will be new I think we will be fine with names.

>>; Also if you want stylize showdown to make it more nightclub-ish you can always use Stylize to customize showdown.

Won't we have our own server? We can register our own names and since the database doesn't have our news since the server will be new I think we will be fine with names.

>>; Also if you want stylize showdown to make it more nightclub-ish you can always use Stylize to customize showdown.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works. Everything is run under psim.us. Name database is static throughout.

Although it may not be completed in the near future, I've been told PS is working on a downloadable client that can connect to any PS server.

All aboard the Showdown train! Choo-choo! *Makes stupid whistle blowing hand motions with her arm*

Thank the Lord! I do not like PO. My experience on battling were terrible there. I get haxed every battle. That was the number one turn off for me. I used showdown before playing on PO, but I downloaded PO just so I could battle Reborn members and talk with you guys. That was the only reason I played on PO. I'm all for the transfer! I like the community, I'll be delighted if you guys moved to showdown!

I don't really have a reason to -hate- Showdown, but it kinda feels too...."newfangled" and "cluttered" for lil' old me.

If there's any feasible way I could be "Minerva" on the server, I would very much appreciate it a whole lot more.

• Administrators

Names are going to be a rather big problem with the switch, and while it isn't exactly convenient, I do remember there being a command to change a person's name (normally used when someone enters with a vulgar name), and people could use that name even if it was already claimed. Unfortunately, it isn't permanent either.

I was told rename commands had been requested removed from all Showdown servers, so I wouldn't count on this.