Pokemon Showdown

Amethyst

I believe that PS is more user-friendly than PO. You don't have to dowload a program (but that's just a minor issue) and you can alternate between teambuilding and battling easier and without losing one to focus on the other.

The tiers have a slight difference, but you can always modify or ban some things in custom servers (usually found on psim.us, like frost-psim), which are outside the main PS.

It is possible to run a league. You just have to register the info on a website, something that all the other leagues there do.

Regarding the animations, personally I like them. They are not like the ones in the games that take long. They are short and make the battle more interesting without making you lose time. The battles last the same and they are more appealing. I started there and it was hard to adapt to PO.

Lag and Hax are everywhere. PO just has more problems (as I found out that Aegislash doesn't like going back to its shield).

About the server crash, the issue you might have on showdown's main, is that due to many people signing in at the same time, it doesn't allow you to log in. You might run into this:

Ib1cvG7.png

Apart from the full server we might encounter, showdown is much better than pokemononline