Life Updates | Dev Team Applications

Jan

• Developers

So... it's been a little while, hasn't it? Truthfully, I've been putting off this thread for a

while because it's not something I really like talking about, but here we are anyway!

I kind of vanished into thin air after the release of Version 9, didn't I? I've never

done that before. There have been breaks before, but nothing on this scale. Well, the

reason why I left was because I was overwhelmed, disappointed and stressed.

This kinda stems from the creation of the Version 9 status thread. In the beginning,

the thread was pretty good. I had good reception and nice discussions going on, but

towards the end of the development, it got pretty... tiring to deal with. Every other

post was someone asking for an update or why the progress bar didn't go up in 

the past couple of days.

But let's dial this back a bit. During this time (and still true to an extent now) I was dealing

with chronic depression. I couldn't find the motivation to work on the game. Not only that,

but I work a 7-5 job. So those hours of the day were dedicated to that, but after I got home,

I had obligations I had to take care of and then when all that was said and done, it was 10pm and

I was exhausted. Needless to say, things didn't get done around this point. Then my computer died, but we all know what happened with that. (This community is great and I will always be grateful for you all! ❤️)

Now, when the beta testing was going on, I still received comments in the status thread and in emails asking me where the game was or why it was taking so long. I have to admit, it made

me feel pretty guilty. I thought I wasn't doing enough. It's pretty clear to me now (and probably to a lot of people) that I rushed the release. I was tired of feeling guilty and I was mentally exhausted from my job and my depression. So I got the game out as fast as I could, and that caused the

game to be released with quite a bit of bugs. I felt disappointed in myself for releasing

it in the state that it was. After the community helped me so much to get where I was, this is what I had to show for it. So eventually I decided it was time for me to leave for a bit and recollect myself. I left a quick message and just vanished. I stopped replying to emails, I stopped reading comments, and I just went on day by day, and I apologize for it.

If it's not common knowledge, I'm a solo dev. I primarily do all the work myself (with help from Zumi, Ame and Marcello occasionally). But besides the cover art and the VS sprites, I make all the character designs, I create all of the maps, I do some of the code myself, and I organize things myself. This worked for a while, but as the game gets bigger and bigger, I don't find it practical to 

keep working on things alone. It just makes things take longer and frankly there's just too much to do for one person.

#----------------------#

🎉🎊So that's actually why I'm opening up spots for a development team. 🎉🎊

#----------------------#

As for Version 10... If you know me, you'd know that I'm bad at taking legitimate breaks, lol.

I've actually have been working on Version 10 in secret. So much that I've already

finished around 90% of the story. Oops. That being said, it's -nowhere- near completion. And for the reasons explained above, I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to put up a status thread. I'm thinking of replacing it with a dev blog instead. Thoughts?

Until things are settled completely, I ask that you remain patient for Version 10's release.

...Okay fine, I guess I'll show you something related to V10's story. Just a little appetizer. 

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_ouxvxpvdyL1se1gey_540.gif

😡🎉🎊💁🎉🎊🎉Development Team Applications🎉🎊🎉💁🎊🎉😡

Also, while I was gone I developed an unhealthy emoji addiction. I mean, I'm not addicted... I can stop whenever I want.........................

7 minutes ago, Jan said:

So... it's been a little while, hasn't it? Truthfully, I've been putting off this thread for a

while because it's not something I really like talking about, but here we are anyway!

I kind of vanished into thin air after the release of Version 9, didn't I? I've never

done that before. There have been breaks before, but nothing on this scale. Well, the

This kinda stems from the creation of the Version 9 status thread. In the beginning,

the thread was pretty good. I had good reception and nice discussions going on, but

towards the end of the development, it got pretty... tiring to deal with. Every other

the past couple of days.

But let's dial this back a bit. During this time (and still true to an extent now) I was dealing

with chronic depression. I couldn't find the motivation to work on the game. Not only that,

but I work a 7-5 job. So those hours of the day were dedicated to that, but after I got home,

I had obligations I had to take care of and then when all that was said and done, it was 10pm and

I was exhausted. Needless to say, things didn't get done around this point. Then my computer died, but we all know what happened with that. (This community is great and I will always be grateful for you all! ❤️)

Now, when the beta testing was going on, I still received comments in the status thread and in emails asking me where the game was or why it was taking so long. I have to admit, it made

me feel pretty guilty. I thought I wasn't doing enough. It's pretty clear to me now (and probably to a lot of people) that I rushed the release. I was tired of feeling guilty and I was mentally exhausted from my job and my depression. So I got the game out as fast as I could, and that caused the

game to be released with quite a bit of bugs. I felt disappointed in myself for releasing

it in the state that it was. After the community helped me so much to get where I was, this is what I had to show for it. So eventually I decided it was time for me to leave for a bit and recollect myself. I left a quick message and just vanished. I stopped replying to emails, I stopped reading comments, and I just went on day by day, and I apologize for it.

If it's not common knowledge, I'm a solo dev. I primarily do all the work myself (with help from Zumi, Ame and Marcello occasionally). But besides the cover art and the VS sprites, I make all the character designs, I create all of the maps, I do some of the code myself, and I organize things myself. This worked for a while, but as the game gets bigger and bigger, I don't find it practical to 

keep working on things alone. It just makes things take longer and frankly there's just too much to do for one person.

#----------------------#

#----------------------#

As for Version 10... If you know me, you'd know that I'm bad at taking legitimate breaks, lol.

I've actually have been working on Version 10 in secret. So much that I've already

finished around 90% of the story. Oops. That being said, it's -nowhere- near completion. And for the reasons explained above, I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to put up a status thread. I'm thinking of replacing it with a dev blog instead. Thoughts?

Until things are settled completely, I ask that you remain patient for Version 10's release.

...Okay fine, I guess I'll show you something related to V10's story. Just a little appetizer. 

Reveal hidden contents

Also, while I was gone I developed an unhealthy emoji addiction. I mean, I'm not addicted... I can stop whenever I want.........................

well i'm glad you're back and opening up to us and i said this once and i'll say it again YOU KNOW DAMN WELL THAT'S A LIE JANIEL ( now pls go get some **** i mean help with your obsession )

32 minutes ago, Jan said:

the past couple of days.

#----------------------#

#----------------------#

Reveal hidden contents

Well, watch the emoji move and you'll probably get rid of the latter. Not sure you want to do that to yourself, though, life is difficult enough as it is right for you now from what I've read ;)
Perhaps specifying certain necessary requirements for the dev spots might help getting the right people together. Being adept/having RPGMaker (iirc.) and some rough time requirements might be something to start with? Makes it easier to manage applications.

As for the posts...They were probably just really anxious for its release (why wouldn't they be?) Don't push yourself like that the next release, okay? And don't worry about talking about stuff, there's always (I believe) someone that wouldn't mind listening on the forum. (The believe part is because I've been away from it myself for months as well, so I need to be filled in as well :/ )
Also...
(sees spoiler)
Yep, now people will get anxious again :)

1 hour ago, Jan said:

the past couple of days.

#----------------------#

#----------------------#

Reveal hidden contents

i rly like what you say here my friend i know your feeling about been pushed for all of the pokemon rejuvenation fan boys and girls i hope you are ok now after the break you got.I want to say well done for the work you done as far as now you are a rly good developer and i hope to keep going bc i love this game.and take more breaks if you feel that,i and the rest we will keep wait for this fantastic game

• Global Mods

I'm happy that you took a nice break, and even happier that you're back!

I may not have anything to offer to development except moral support, but I'll always be here to patiently wait for the next version and share this amazing game with whoever I can!

Y'all need to stop hitting the quote button to respond. All it does it make annoying pings and a short message overly long

Obviously I can't be much help when it comes to it due to the projects I do, but please feel free to PM me about anything regarding battles since doubles is my strong suit. But I can relate so much to the whole having stuff rushed. It still bothers me how rushed Hardcore was to the point I didn't even finish a good chunk of it. Ah well you're probably better than me as I tend to ignore stuff for like a month before acknowledging it's a problem and fixing it. Why do you think they put that note in the mod market?

And after seeing how two teams (well 3 actually) completely fell apart as well as my own troubles getting help please take my advice in picking up less people who are very reliable and are willing to put a certain amount of effort into the game over trying to fill a quota of people you feel are needed to actually get this done. It adds up to work not being done as your are constantly telling someone every little thing they need to do and nothing getting done. I cannot emphasize how important that is.

Also don't be afraid to interview and ask questions when looking for people to work with. You probably already know most of this though, but I've seen even the best of people fall hard. I really don't want that to happen to you as well when you've come so far.

Damn, I can't digest that appetizer............nice to see you again. The public knows your release timings per episode. Even if we might keep asking, we will wait even ages for it. :) Emoji's are kind of nice to use.

It is good to see you! We are thankful for all the hard work you have been doing and we understand completely that you are busy with real life and want to take a break. Truth be told, I am shocked that you apparently finished 90% of the story for version 10, I was suspecting that development would start sometime next year and to hear that it's already come this far is a testament to how much of a solid and passionate modder you are - and really, that is what we should be thankful about, not version 9, not version 10, but the fact that you are here producing these amazing things for us all to enjoy. We truly cannot thank you enough Jan, and you know, for everything, we're here for you. Don't be too hard on yourself and take all the time you need. Sadly I'm not a dev but I hope others will help you out with it :D

Edited by Dynamo

Jan, don't overwork yourself! The game is not worth your own personal health, so please take as much time as needed.

A dev team sounds really cool, but Commander had really great advice on hiring reliable people. I've seen many projects ranging from game development to animation series die off because there were major conflicts within the team, and it can really pile up on stress and make game-making overall less fun to do.

But on the subject of outside help, make sure to listen to the community if you can except when they're shitposting. They can have really great suggestions with tons of things overall  :)

Spoiler

That sneak-peak... For some reason I immediately thought it was a Danganronpa reference because I couldn't imagine a Game Over screen in Pokemon. I thought we were going to the tournament. What is even happening in V10?

Well, Version 9 was one of the best things that happened to me This Year, so Thanks for that. Even With the Bugs, It was far from a Disappointment.

Also, there is something that looks like the Eclipse in the sneak peak. Is that a reference for that Eclipse that happened today?

As for your addiction to emojis, I don't think watching the Emoji Advertisement would help (I am not referring to it as a movie, because it's not. It's just an advertisement for Emojis, Twitter, Candy Crush, Etc.) 

I want a Version 10. But I will wait. I'll wait Ages if I have to.

As for your Depression, I would say to get help, but I bet you already have. If You haven't, then make sure to.  

Edited by ShadeStrider

Welcome back Jan ^_^ No need to apologize we don't blame you if you're stressed or tired but don't push yourself so hard. Even the strongest people deserve a break. So take all the time you need Jan fam. And don't hesitate to ask us for help with anything. We gotchu bro! We all family! Best of luck with everything in life as well! 😄

Edited by SukaiChris

I figured you were taking a break after the Ver 9 release but I didn't know you were dealing with real life issues other than the computer thing. I didn't experience any problems while playing through the new content but if there were bugs, you really shouldn't let that get you down. Just fix them in a patch or the next release if they aren't game breaking. I don't think anybody's holding it against you.

As for people complaining about development taking too long, just fuck them. Ignore them, what else can I say. I'd rather you take your time and release a good game than you overworking yourself and getting sick or dropping the whole thing. If it takes another year or another 3 years then so be it. I'll probably still be here. I'm sure others will too. So do whatever you need to do and I'll look forward to the next release.

• Developers

Thank you guys for the kind words of encouragement and support. I want to clarify that I'm not blaming anyone for being excited. It was my fault that I took things way too personally. It's something I'll just have to deal with in the future as I work to becoming more mentally stable. 

That being said, I've been trying to reply to some of these personally via quoting, but it seems like that's not working that well... so that's fun. (I tried to substitute that by liking all the ones I've read, lol. That works, right?)

Thank you guys again! I will work hard to bring you all content that's enjoyable and quality!

---

@Filthy Casual You can submit as many as you like! 

Jan, dude, i might i've been one of those guys you are describing, i left some post somewhere in the forum asking for " how much time will it take to see the next release ? " and such.

I am sorry if it was one of those who affected you, though, i doubt it since you said yourself you weren't checking the forum, but i should excuse anyways because i did it at some point.

You shouldn't feel guilty for having a life dude, we all have one ( beside me LOL ).

Do your best for V10, i liked a lot V9 even tho you rushed it, im eager to see what you'll do if you take your time with v10 !

Keep up the good work ! And i wish you good luck with finding those dev's, man, if i had any clues on what doing a game is i might have applied, haha.

Edited by lmb1

Honestly V9 was fine even if you say you rushed it i still loved it, as for the how long comments that's just typical comments that happen everywhere while people wait for something, you shouldn't feel down for such things i doubt anyone here wants something bad out of you, as for the game itself you dont need to rush it we can wait as long as it takes as long as it doesnt take longer than one piece to finish.

Real life goes first, work is important so it being healthy so you should focus on these first then anything else.
Though most of the things i said already happen i hope you don't go through the same thing in the future and i hope you find a great team to help you in times of need.

(I would love to help but i know nothing about creating pokemon games, unless someone would like to teach me. :P )

(Oh and honestly i like the progress bar it's less time consuming for us who don't always have the time to look up all the comments.)

Edited by canse

Good to see you fren. And don't worry, you being happy with what you did and are doing is more important imo. Also I might send an application once I figure out how I could be useful

^ I think there are many people wou would like to help, but doubt if they're capable to do so. That's why I think it is important for Jan to submit some qualifications to give a general idea of what capabilities applicants would need for specific roles.