Surge Story: Chapter 1- "Cadets" [Completed IC thread]

Sutoratosu

Crush hit Buddy with a powerful Tackle, but the Slowpoke's bulk was enough to shred the attack off. "Alright Buddy, time for your own body attack!" The Slowpoke started charging at Crush, but even though he was running, he was still kind of slow.

Edited by Bibarel

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crush easily dodged the slow tackle. “Nice one, now get behind Buddy and hit him with another tackle!” As long as we can face them in close combat, we won’t lose. Just watch out for that eye-attack.

The Squirtle hit another on his full-on body attacks, and Buddy was starting to look tired. I got to end this quickly... "Buddy, throw him away again!" Buddy's eyes became blueish again as he threw the Squirtle away again. "Alright, spray your water attack at him!"

"Crush, hide in your shell again!" Logan said, but this time Crush reacted slower and took both attacks full on.The turtle got back up but was panting heavily. I have to end this. Crush is almost out of stamina.

"Use water gun!"

And yet again, Buddy got hit by Crush's attack. As Lionel looked over the battlefield, he saw that both Buddy and Crush were both very tired. So, instead of giving Buddy a new order, he walked between the two GAOs and said: "That's enough." Then he turned to Logan. "Both sides did their best, and we agreed to not unnecessary hurt the GAOs too much. Why don't we call this a draw?"

"Agreed,' Lionel said as he walked over to Crush. The turtle didn't seem happy about the draw. "I know you like to win, but you can't win them all. Besides, this was a practice battle. You weren't supposed to knock each other out." Logan took the grumpy turtle in his arms and walked toward Lionel.

"Good battle. Your Buddy is pretty good at taking hits. Our attacks didn't do much damage at all."

"Thanks, same goes for Crush." Lionel replied. "I think both of our GAOs are more skilled at bulking their attacks than dealing them." As he turned over to Buddy, he layed on the ground again, in a comfortable slumber. "To be honest, I didn't think Buddy would be this powerful..." Should I tell them that I went easy on them by not using the yawn? Nah, Crush is just starting to warm up to Logan, and I don't think he would be happy if he heard this. "I just wonder how it comes that Buddy got so energetic all of a sudden."

Sid watches the cadets train their GAO battling and challenging one another showing their abilities while Shinx and Horsea are sleeping by his side on a nearby shade.Man this is turning out to a some sort of a fight club as he pets his sleeping Shinx "man you gotta learn how to defend yourself peep squeak, you can't always rely on us. you almost got crush by that boulder like snake. well i can't rely blame you, your attacks have no effect on that thing. I don't understand how this rock paper scissor environment works but hey atleast we learn something out of experience right? wonder if other GAO have the same trait as that rock snake." as Shinx release a purr while in its slumber and Sid lays back as he observes the other cadets.

Lionel was very happy to have been able to see the power of Buddy in battle, but he wanted to know what Shadow could do as well. While Logan and I were battling, another one of the cadets that stood with his at that moment, asked for a practise battle as well. I think his name was...Keton or something? As he stepped up to the cadet, he said: "How about a practise match against me, Lionel? Buddy's tired at the moment, but I also have Shadow, my Murkrow, right here. How about it?"

Keaton jumped at the chance to test out his GAOs skills in battle. "Alright! But like before, we'll keep this mellow." He turned to Axis. "He may have the air, but you can levitate a few feet. Let's use that to our advantage."
He faced Lionel. "Alright, Axis here will be fighting. I'm ready when you are."
After saying that, Axis floated in front of Keaton, as he took a step back. He tipped his fedora to the man, and kept it low. He recalled that the Baltoy was able to hurt his mind, so maybe he could do that to his challenger. "Let's play some mind games," he whispered to himself, with a small grin.

OOC:

The OOC thread states that trainers will use a particular piece of technology in battle to keep track of the Pokemon's health, stats, moves, etc. Do the trainers have them now? And if so, do we know the premise of the use of them?

Clint continued walking in the direction of the person who had released the wolf GAO earlier, during his walk he took note of the battle between Logan and Lionel, "How do they all know their moves already?" He thought to himself. Clint's primary battle strategy was simple street-fighting for his Tyrogue and brute force through his Onix, neither had shown any extraordinary powers like the rest of the groups had.

After some walking Clint made his way to the man who controlled the wolf GAO, "Hey man, I need to get my partners patched up, ya know where I'm supposed to go?"

Jory stepped back, not sure how to feel about the sudden rash of battles. On one hand, it was pretty cool to watch the GAOs duke it out under controlled circumstances. On the other hand, he really hated the idea of asking Nefertiti or even Sampson to get hurt because of him. He turned to face the equine GAO, stroking the beast's neck. "Sampson, I'm not sure how to feel about this. I guess it's really up to you two. Do you want to battle for me?" He looked from Sampson to Nefertiti, concern evident on his face. Sampson turned his head toward Jory and snorted, releasing another shower of sparks from his nostrils. He pawed at the dirt, pointing his head toward the battle. "I guess I'll take that as a yes. How about you, Neffi? I won't make you battle if you don't want to." The smaller GAO looked up at Jory and nodded, her small claws glowing white as she scratched at the dirt. "Okay then!" Jory smiled and hugged his friends. "If you want to battle, then I'll be the best partner I can be. I want to help you be the best you can be!" The Ponyta looked Jory in the eyes and then bowed his head, moving his mane into Jory's hand. "What the-!" Jory began, but stopped as he realized the flame didn't hurt. "Cool, coolcoolcool..." Jory murmured as he looked at his hand in awe. He then turned toward the field. "Hey! I want to fight whoever wins!"

Another one of the cadets, Jory, was spectating the upcoming battle. "Hey! I want to fight whoever wins!" He shouted. I'm not quite sure of that... Buddy's tired at this very moment, and if I might be able to win, it would be very unlikely that Shadow would not be tired. The GAO of his opponent, Keaton, was a mysterious creature. "Alright Shadow, make sure to fly right now to dodge eventual attacks!" It would be good to know what this toy-like thing can do before I attack it in close combat... "Shadow, wait for your opponent before you attack!" However, the Murkrow did not listen, and attack with its wings spread wide. "Shadow! Why don't you listen?"

Right from the get-go, the fight began. The crow flew towards Axis. Fumbling on his words, Keaton shouted something that sounded like "Du-Move!" He looked down, feeling stupid for confusing dodge and move. He had to get his act together. "Alright, let's play hardball."
"Axis, attack its mind!"
The Baltoy whirled its arms around, then shot the arms straight towards Shadow. At first, Keaton thought that it somehow missed, until Axis did it again. It seemed to have no effect on the creature. Damn, he thought.
"Guess we're getting our hands dirty," Keaton said to himself. "Maybe Axis can use rocks to attack it." He looked around, seeing some rocks to his left. There's an idea...

So...he dodged? He's faster than I expected... "Alright, Shadow, listen to me this time! Hit him with your peck!" At first Lionel thought Shadow was doing what he told Shadow to do, but then the Murkrow's beak went black. "S-Shadow? What kind of attack is that? Why do you refuse to listen to my commands?!"

Again, the crow launched itself at Axis. However, after the two mind attacks that Axis performed, it must have been tired. Shadow flew straight at Axis, knocking it to the ground. "No!" Keaton shouted. This just got dirty. But it was not the fault of the soldier, as he had no control over the creature.

Or was it his fault?
At any rate, it became personal. Axis tumbled to the ground, but after a second, got back up, its eyelids seeming to turn slightly red. Emotion would be a strong force. "Axis! Use those rocks!" It seemed to get the idea. Using its mind, Axis quickly lifted several rocks and thrust them at the crow. As the rocks flew towards Shadow, they seemed to close several immediate escape routes, almost creating some sort of rock-cage.

or tomb ;)

"Shadow, I told you to be careful!" Lionel saw that the crow was stuck between the rocks. This isn't good... I got to think of something, and fast. Suddenly, Shadow emitted something like a fog or a haze, and he could fly at full speed again. "That's the way, Shadow! Now go with-" Again, Shadow charged at Axis, using his black beak attack again. "Shadow! No!"

The rocks struck true, dealing some hurt to the crow. However, while at first, some fragments were still in its wings, it emitted a fog that blew them out.
"Damn!" he muttered. "Axis, come back!" Keaton shouted, as he brought the ball up to Axis and clicked the button, doing something he saw another cadet and the soldiers do. However, as the red beam hit Axis, Shadow's beak ripped across Baltoy's shoulder and through the beam, striking it straight to the ground, and canceling out the beam the capsule emitted.
"No!!" Keaton yelled, running over to Baltoy. The small creature was no longer spinning. "Oh shit... No, no no," Keaton cursed over the body of Axis. That hit couldn't have been fatal, could it? It only hit its shoulder. Baltoy's red markings faded slowly, but then came back, fluttering.
He sighed. That was a good sign, right?
Keaton turned over to look at Lionel. He tried to control his emotions. He closed his eyes, feeling rage. Through gritted teeth, he rather slowly said "I would appreciate if you put that bird in its cage." Keaton recalled Sheriff, who was sleeping in the distance. He put the two capsules on his belt, sat down, and looked around for the officers. This could only spell trouble. He looked down, his fedora tipped, covering his eyes. Keaton felt shamed, embarrassed, and some degree of sadness for this creature he barely knew.

"Shit...now I'm certain I made an enemy... Good going Lionel..." He turned over to Shadow. "What the hell is wrong with you? There was clearly said that we wouldn't hurt anyone too badly!" For a split second, Lionel seemed to see the same glimpse of evilness in Shadow's eyes as when he first met him. Then he regained his innocent smile. "I protected you against electricity... I cared for you... And this is how you repay me? By not listening to me and hurting another cadet's GAO harshly? Very much thanks to you, Shadow." He paused a bit. "Alright, I made up my mind. I will not be using you in any more battles unless you learn how to behave. Is that understood?" The Murkrow did nothing, and sat on the ground, smiling innocently. Lionel recalled him, and then he released Buddy walked to him, and tried to cheer him up. "Good thing I still have you, Buddy..." He said as he patted Buddy's head. He turned to the other cadet, Jory. "I'm sorry, but I think...that our battle is delayed for the time being." I shouldn't forget to go and see how Keaton and Axis are doing later... Or maybe they do not want to see me... Grrrr... Shadow, why did you do this? Then Lionel realised there were also officers present. Oh great... Now I'm probably going to be punished.

Edited by Bibarel

Jory nodded, still grinning happily. "It's alright, Lionel. Although I think you should go check on Keaton's GAOs," he added as an afterthought, still focused on the idea of testing out his new friends in battle.

Nathan sighed as he watched the other cadets battle. He was making a mental note of everything that occurred, but wasn't quite sure what he was supposed to be doing. These sparring matches may or may not be within the rules, and he wasn't willing to risk a whole lot given his existing record. He did, however, want to spend a bit more time with his GAOs. He released Charmander and set Bagon down. The latter immediately dashed off. . . and threw itself off of a nearby ledge. "What the hell?" Nathan shouted as he ran after it. He arrived just in time to see it hit the ground headfirst. Surprisingly, though, it simply stood up and started walking back around. "Well, what the hell was that about. . .?" he wondered out loud. When it returned, he checked it over for any signs of injury. "You seem to like falling." The pilot thought for a moment. "Maybe I'll call you Icarus." The blue lizard didn't seem to mind, but it wriggled out of his grip to do the stunt again. Nathan sighed once more. "This is going to be a pain."

Lars sat in the grass, watching the battles. After Keaton and Lionel's match, his head seemed to have finally cleared, so he stood up again. He walked over to the group, noticing that Jory still hadn't gotten a battle.

"Hey Jory!" he called. "You still up for a match?"

Enyo kept seated as Oak’s GAO attacked one of the Cadets, watching the action unfold from a distance. She didn’t had the means to stop the creature, nor did she did had a reason to care, so why even bother getting up. Eventually a force came together to bring down the GAO, and the people around the fallen cadet dispersed. A group formed not too far from where she was, and their words could be heard without too much effort. One of the guys asked another how was he able to keep his GAOs under control, to which the other answered along the lines of “they are just scared”. “Yeah right, that rabid bastard was truly petrified. I could totally feel his fear just as he was about to rip my leg off” she thought to herself with sourness. Some more time passed until the first battle begun. She had to admit that the other cadets put on quite a show, and started to wonder if she should have one as well. The problem was that the alligator creature was too out of control, which left her with… the bat.

“Come out then” she said while letting the Zubat out of his sphere. The creature fluttered for a few moments, not sure of what to do. Enyo couldn’t help but laugh of the hopefulness of the bat. “Stop being a baby, come here” she called him, and after a moment of hesitation the bat approached the girl, and landed on her leg. The other cadets were naming their GAOs, and she wanted to do the same, as calling these creatures by their species names was the same thing as naming a dog “Dog”. Besides she refused to complicit with the term “Totodile”, it just sounded too ridiculous. “Hm, what should I call you?” she asked more to herself than to the creature, and subconsciously stroked the bat’s ear. An idea slowly came to her mind and a grin formed on her lips. “I’m gonna call you Bourbon. And our crazy friend is going to be… Absinthe. Yes, Absinthe is a good name for him, they’re both hard to swallow.”

Satisfied with her GAOs names, she took a look around, searching for a potential adversary.

Edited by Maddie

Corporal James Niles heard the approach of footsteps as Clint and his partners walked over, asking for medical supplies.

Luckily, Niles kept a few medical supplies of his own, he reached into his fatigue pocket and handed Clint a small jar filled with blue cream, about half of it was gone from the treatment of his own partners injuries from the second Storm Encounter.

"Smear some of that on them and they'll be fine in a while."

With that, he finally recalled his mightyena to it's capsule. He picked up his assault rifle, Slinging the strap over his shoulder as he walked off towards the treeline to resume his assignment of guarding the clearing's perimeter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Erick watched as several of the other Cadets continued to engage in small skirmishes, trying to test their partners abilities. He wasn't very impressed with what he saw. so far all the fights seemed to be over in just two or so minutes, and some what one sided, Especially Clint's fight with the con-man, Sid. Virtue didn't seem all that interested either, as she'd even fallen asleep against the tree's trunk. Erick looked at his watch, the shadows of the tree blocking out the glare from the sun, making the face actually visible for the first time since leaving the base's main compound.

11:24 hours

"Almost noon," He mumbled to himself, going over in his head what Genisa had said telepathically.

What did she mean? That thing... Has it really been looking for me? And if so... then for how long, and why?

The voice chimed in, At this point, Erick was fairly certain that this was not his own. It was too reckless; far too bold when prudence would be the best strategy, like it had been in the battle against surge.

Well, Maybe it has a death wish? Said the voice rather facetiously. Or maybe it's just trying to tie up some loose ends...

These words were followed with a bout of laughter. Erick felt the same anger rising inside himself that he had felt with the Critic.

"Who the hell are you?! and how are you in my head like this?!"

Erick realized that his inquiry had been shouted out verbally, and rather loudly so, instead of being shouted mentally as he intended. He checked himself this time, making sure to keep his mouth shut as he continued the interrogation, not bothering to look if anyone had heard him.

the laughter continued, the voice apparently amused by it's own joke

Answer ME! Erick commanded

the laughter in his mind ceased.

Erick, I'm you. the you that you've been trying oh so hard to be all these years. the you that acts without a second thought on the matter, the you that doesn't cower when courage is needed. I am strength, I am power, I am Resolve; I am what you subconsciously created that day, while you cowered in fear as that thunder being tore into your father's body. You were weak Erick, you still are.

Erick found himself launching bolt upright, he hissed his words with venom, not even knowing where they came from

"You are nothing but a Shit-Faced liar!! You hear me!? I have changed!"

Erick realized that he once again had blurted his thought message to the voice out loud. He tried to send them via thought as he did before, but he found that he was unable to focus enough through his rising anger to do so.

"Do you hear me?" He whispered harshly

"I have changed. I am not weak anymore, I am not a coward like I was back then. I have worked day and night ever since then to make myself into a person worthy of honoring my father's memory. I even went out and got involved in street gangs to toughen myself up. I forced down every bit of weakness, so Dont you Dare F**KING call me WEAK!"

The voice was ready with a retort

Is it easier lying to yourself, or others? You should know, you've done both plenty of times now. You ARE WEAK, Erick. You were weak that day, when all you had to do to save your father was pick up the gun and fire on that thing until there were no bullets left. And you're weak now. You were shaking when you saw that thing again. we both know that.

Erick felt a familiar torrent of fear rise up as he thought of the incident, of the creature. He had never felt that before that day of the Storm Encounter, and he hated the feeling with every fiber of his being. The feeling of being powerless, of being nothing but a spectator, unable to intervene, wondering if he was next. He tried to force it down, to no avail, it came back with a vengeance

"Burn in hell." He said weakly, the fear nearly paralyzing him, as it had then, he found it hard to breath. He could barely hear the voice as he leaned against the tree for support.

If I do, then you'll burning right beside me, remember, I am you. You are me, you just haven't accepted it yet.

He knew he had made a fatal mistake. he had thought directly of the incident, directly gone back to the memory of the day, the one thing he had been avoiding for years, and now he was breaking down from the truama.

"You're not real. You're some sort of mental dellusion. I'm not crazy. You do not exist, and that is the end of story." He was trying more to reassure himself than to tell off the voice.

then why are you still talking to me? The best way to lie is to include part of the truth. You're right, I don't exist, but neither do you anymore. Neither one of us exist separately, we only exist together.

Virtue had woken up from the commotion, she stared up at Erick curiously. He was gasping for air now, he could hear the voice as he replayed the memory over and over in his mind...

Weak...Weeeeak...WEEEEEEEEEEAK!!! it wasn't the most recent one though, this was his self-critic, back to reclaim it's job.

He slid down the tree, in a complete breakdown, waking Genisa from her sleep.

All resistance was futile, he was captive to his memories, the feelings of fear, hatred, inferiority and worthlessness all held him like a vice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genisa watched as Erick slid down the tree, his eyes growing smaller and smaller, his breathing ceasing for several seconds as whatever was going on with him continued it's havoc. She called out telepathically for Ray to come and help

Unsure what else to do, The young Ralts then acted on impulse and reached out, laying both hands on Erick's Arm, the horn atop her head glowing a deep red, illuminating the darkened tree base as the tide emotion began to eb away from Erick, all the negativity being eliminated by Genisa's horn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Erick felt as the Tide of negative emotions ebbed, then faded completely, freeing him from his episodea of PTSD. All the noise in his mind stopped, including the voice of his apparent and strange alter-ego, as well as his self-critic. The world around him came back into view as the last vestiges of the memory shattered like glass against stone.

He was lying on his side, his head throbbed with pain and he felt small hands on his arm. He looked over and show Genisa as her horn blazed in a bright scarlet light. He sat up against the tree as the glow died out, touching his hand to his head and taking it away, wincing in sharp pain.

He looked at his hand, the fingers were covered in blood. Out of nowhere he saw Ray and Oak approaching, Ray pulled out some supplies from his bag the moment he saw the gash on Erick's head.

Erick's head was still swimming from the episode.

"What...What..."

He couldn't finish the sentence, only able to wince as Ray dabbed rubbing alcohol on the wound on his head.

Oak spoke.

"That's another reason we gave Genisa to you as a partner, Erick. You've had PTSD all these years, and didn't even realize it, but now you do, and the episodes will only become worse now, But her ability of empathic sensory should help you get over it in time..."

Ray continued to clean the gash, then began to bandage it.

"You're welcome, by the way, for the foresight on my part."

Edited by Legendaries tamer

Jory looked over at the person who had asked him to battle. His name's Lars... right? Better safe than sorry. "Yeah, sure, man!" Jory walked a short distance away from Lars, his GAOs following him. Sampson was snorting and bucking his head, obviously quite restless at the prospect of a battle. "Okay! Same rules as them! Don't hurt each others' partners too badly!" The trainer smiled and turned toward Sampson. "You're up first, Sampson. Let's show them what we've got!" The Ponyta tossed his head and then stepped in front of Jory, ready to battle. "Who're you gonna use, Lars?"