Surge Story: Chapter 1- "Cadets" [Completed IC thread]

Sutoratosu

Bourbon had just taken flight when Buddy’s attack pushed the bat against the ground. Luckily the Zubat didn’t fell on his wings, and quickly got back on the air without too much visible damage. Enyo gritted her teeth, felling anguish towards that type of attacks. For what she had seen, there was no way to block them. Maybe they needed to be aimed and quick evasion would allow Bourbon to avoid them? Usually she wouldn’t worry with such thing, and simply attack as hard and fast as possible, but the bat wasn’t capable of such adamant tactics. She would have to take down the hippo to ensure a win.

“Bourbon, confuse the Slowpoke, and don’t stand still. Absinthe, go after the Slowpoke too, and use…” before she was able to finish the sentence the alligator dashed off toward the pink GAO on his fours, fangs starting to gain a dark glow. Enyo glanced at General McCarthy, knowing he would frown upon what had just happened. “Come on Absinthe, now is not the time for your whims” she murmured.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logan had watched all the previous battles carefully. He was eager to have a battle with his GAO and he knew they thought the same thing. Especially Crush was getting impatient. The turtle was still as cocky as when they first met, but over the past months it started to listen to Logan. Recently, after it had evolved, it started to disobey from time to time. Logan knew the Wartortle, as Oak called it, was excited. Crush wanted to be strong and his evolution was proving that it was growing. So every now and then the turtle tried to test Logan to see if he could handle its new power. Logan just hoped that this wasn’t one of those moments.

Ace, who was the first to evolve, gave Logan no trouble when it came to following his orders. Unfortunately the Monferno had a mayor increase in its hyperactivity level. It had trouble sitting still and sometimes tried to sneak off to pick fights with whatever it found. Ace also had developed a secret one-sided rivalry with Clint’s Rocky. Logan had seen how the fiery monkey copied Rocky’s training from time to time. He left Ace doing his thing but had suggested to add his own elements to it. The result was a weird fighting style using his surroundings and punching his opponents at blinding speed.

When the General called for Lionel and Enyo to step up, Logan wasn’t happy. He hoped he could’ve fought Lionel again. But the General had decided to give him the worst opponent possible. Logan looked at Kenneth from the corner of his eye. He didn’t know much about the guy or the way his GAO fought.
Logan whispered to his GAO. “This battle is a test of our teamwork. So you two stop fighting for once and listen to me,” he said. “If we don’t do this as a team, they will fail us and we won’t get any stronger.” He looked Crush in the eyes when he said that. The turtle nodded and turned back to the fight in front of them. Logan followed the example while trying to come up with a strategy. Maybe going last and knowing your opponent before the fight wasn’t that bad.

Absinthe dashed at Buddy, biting at him with his powerful fangs. Buddy seemed to take some damage, but luckily he was the bulky type. Then Bourbon used the confusing attack. Lionel totally forgot he could do that. "Buddy! Get out of there!" But it was too late. The sonic waves reached Buddy...and did nothing. "What the...you just keep surprising me, Buddy! And now it's time for the counterattack we practised! Buddy, now that Absinthe's close, you use your mind attack to make him float so he can't do anything! When he's in the air, you use your wing attack on him, Shadow! Then you throw him to the ground, Buddy!" Buddy's eyes turned blueish again, and Shadow was preparing for its first attack.

Edited by Bibarel

Kenny, Ryu, and Eve had watched all of the previous battles, and when Lionel and Enyo were called up, he started formulating his strategy. Here's what ran through his mind:

OK, so I'm up against Logan, whose GAOs are a Monferno, which he's named Ace; and a Wartortle, which he's named Crush. The Monferno is of the Fighting aspect, so some of it's moveset is strong against Eve, who is of the Normal aspect. However, it's also of the Fire aspect, so a certain move that Eve knows will come in very handy in the upcoming battle. The Wartortle is of the Water aspect, so said move won't be very useful on it's own. It's a good thing that i've got Ryu for backup, so he can deal with the Wartortle while Eve deals with the Monferno. Now, it could be possible to turn the Battlefield itself into a weapon and also use it as cover at the same time by using that move! That's quite the idea, and i'll use it to my advantage.

"Ryu, Eve, I've got an idea for this next battle."

Kenny then whispered his plan to Ryu and Eve. When he had finished telling it to them, Ryu smiled a little, and Eve looked like she was OK with using Kenny's strategy. Ryu then went behind Kenny, and then jumped up and grabbed a Leftovers (Ryu had found it somewhere back while they were training. Kenny didn't even want to know where Ryu had gotten it from...) and a Sitrus Berry (Eve had found it in the Forest during their training.) from Kenny's bag, where Kenny was keeping the things that Ryu and Eve found around the Base and in the Forest. Ryu then gave Eve the Sitrus Berry, and he did all that without Kenny noticing him.

All three of them then resumed watching the ongoing Battle just in time to see Absinthe bite Buddy.

Edited by K_H

OOC: Bibarel both my pokemons are male

For the first time since the beginning of their training an adversary had been immune to Bourbon's confusion attack. Enyo wasn’t sure if somehow the bat had missed or if the hippo was immune to it, but she decided not to waste time using the move on Buddy again and target the bird instead. She was about to order the Zubat to do just that when the pink GAO used it’s abilities to make Absinthe float in the air, leaving it unable to flee. Enyo had to find a way to release Buddy’s control over the alligator before the Murkrow could land an attack… or did she? She knew how the wing attack worked, Bourbon could do it as well. She couldn’t help but grin while she waited for the bird to get close enough, and then ordered: “Absinthe, bite his wing with ice!”. The alligator would probably get some damage from the opponent’s attack, but she knew for sure the ice attack would hurt Shadow even more. “Bourbon, confuse the Murkrow while Absinthe has him trapped between his fangs!”.

Edited by Maddie

Kenny then noticed that Ryu had taken a couple of things out of Kenny's Bag.

"Ryu, I've seen no one else use Items, so I think it would be better if we followed the same rules. In fact, I saw Erick refrain from using Sitrus Berries in his Battle, even though he had the chance to do so."

Kenny then took the Leftovers and the Sitrus Berry, and put them back into his bag, alongside several other miscellaneous Items that had been found by Eve and Ryu. Ryu seemed a little dissapointed. Kenny tried cheering Ryu up.

"Think of it like a challenge for our team to overcome."

This made Ryu all the more eager to Battle. Ryu had a real liking for becoming as strong as possible, and loved to take on a challenge. Then, Ryu, Eve, and Kenny returned to watching the Ongoing Battle between Lionel and Enyo.

Absinthe and Shadow hit each other at the same moment. However, Shadow seemed to be in much more pain, and then Bourbon used his sound waves again, this time aimed at Shadow, who became confused. "Seems like that attack isn't inaffective against Shadow... Shadow, concentrate and attack Absinthe with your black beak attack! And you use your water attack at Bourbon, Buddy!" The Murkrow seemed to pull itself together and aimed for the Croconaw, while the Slowpoke blasted water at the bat.

Absinthe’s ice attack had been successful, and so did Bourbon’s confusion inducing sound waves, for Enyo’s relive. Part of her was afraid that for some reason she didn’t acknowledge the confusing move no longer worked.

The girl was wondering if she should order her GAOs to gang up on one of the opponent’s creatures when Lionel shouted out his counter-attack. “Bourbon, dodge it!” she commanded the bat, who flew upwards as fast as he could, unfortunately not being able to completely avoid the water jet. “Absinthe, run around and shot water jets at Shadow, make it hard for him to hit you and try to hit him in the process.” She hoped the alligator would obey once again, instead of doing whatever he felt like doing. “Bourbon, get behind Buddy and suck his energy to regain some health.” Getting close to the hippo was a risk, but she was hoping that if the Slowpoke couldn’t see the bat then it would be hard to pin point his location and focus the telekinetic attack.

-

The moves are Water Gun and Leech Life, just in case.

Oh god. "Shadow, dodge that water!" Instead of obeying, he hit himself in his face with his wing and fell to the ground. "Uh. Oh. At least you dodged that attack." Then he saw that his bird was very weak. Another hit and he would be down for the count. "Buddy, this is all up to you!" He noticed that Bourbon was flying closer to Buddy. I could just copy what Absinthe did, but that doesn't prove my competence...or Buddy's. Bourbon was pretty close now. He had only one shot. "Buddy...use your mind attack to throw Absinthe at Bourbon!"

"Halt!" the general called, he'd seen enough to make his judgement.

*all of the GAOs stopped where they are and looked up at McCarthy*

"I have seen enough. You both pass this portion."

he tapped his pin, bringing the list one last time.

"Logan walker," he began "And Kenneth Holmes! step forward and begin!"

"Good luck, Logan. I'll go first."

Kenny then spoke his Commands to his GAOs

"Eve, Let's Initiate the Strategy that we conferred to each other about!"

Eve then Dug into the Ground, creating a big Dust Cloud in the process, which covered the field.

"Ryu, Attack them quickly!"

Ryu responded by speeding towards Crush, a white trail forming behind him.

-------------------------

Moves Used:

Eve: Dig (1st turn)

Ryu: Quick Attack

Logan stepped up, got down on one knee and whispered to his GAOs. “Ace, that Eevee is yours. Take it out quickly. Crush, focus on your defense while you take the other one out. It looks like it fights like Clint’s Rocky, so you’ll have the advantage.” Both GAO nodded and took their places on the field. Meanwhile Kenneth moved first.

A small dust of sand kicked up while Eve disappeared under the ground and Ryu charged at Crush. The Wartortle got hit and fell, but it didn’t look like too much damage was done. “Crush, it’s alright, withdraw in your shell!” Crush got up and raised his defense by tucking into his shell.

“Now, Ace, jump into that hole and punch Eve!”
The fiery monkey’s fist began to glow as he jumped into the hole. Logan smiled. He had seen Onix doing that attack a couple of times and had made a strategy around it. Normally it involved Crush, but Logan hoped it would work for Ace as well.

-------------------------

Moves used:

Crush: Withdraw

Ace: Mach Punch

Kenny saw Ace run into the Hole. Things were going as he thought they would.

"Ryu, Initiate phase two of our plan!"

Ryu then prepared to place his palm on Crush's shell, aimed in such a way that if Ryu was successful, Crush would go into the Hole.

Then, the ground started to rumble a little. Underground, unseen by anyone on the surface, Eve was hit. She continued, burrowing on a vector that intersected her own tunnel in the location that Ace would most likely be in when she intersected her own tunnel, finishing off the Artificial Cavern (which was under the Arena) that she was working on in the process.

------------------------

Moves used:

Ryu (100% HP left): Force Palm

Eve (60% HP left): Dig (2nd turn)

Edited by K_H

Phase two? Logan thought while observing the field. He had no idea what Kenneth was planning, but he knew he had to get Ace out of there. “Crush, one more Withdraw! And Ace, get out of that hole!”

Ace jumped out right before Crush got hit and was blown towards the hole. The Wartortle popped out of its shell as soon as it fell in the hole. “Crush, fill that hole with your Bubbles!” A spray of bubbles filled the tunnel Crush was in, some bubbles lingered around the entrance, but popped when Crush jumped out. The turtle looked curious inside the hole.

“Ace, cover yourself in flames and hit Ryu!” It was a new fire move they had been practicing after Ace had evolved. The monkey caught flame as it started spinning towards the Riolu, leaving burn marks on the ground.

---------------

Moves used:

Crush (60% and def +2): Bubble

Ace: (100%): Flame Wheel

"Ryu, counter his move!"

Ryu responded by glowing Orange, and was then hit by Ace.

"Eve, Hit crush with your fastest Attack!"

Eve ran at Crush, a white Trail forming behind her.

--------------------

Moves used:

Ryu (60 % HP left): Counter

Eve (50 % HP left): Quick Attack

Edited by K_H

Logan was surprised by the counter-attack. By going what his opponent was yelling, he wasn’t the only one. Damn, that’s annoying. But finally, I can go with my original plan.

Crush, who was still standing next to the hole, took the quick attack with ease. But Logan knew the amount of attacks Crush took, would take its toll on the turtle. Ace on the other hand wasn’t doing that well. The attack he took did a lot off damage.

“Ace, mach punch Eve again!” The monkey shook its head and smashed his fist into the ground, before it started glowing and Ace dashed at incredible speed at Eevee.

“Crush, spray a protective layer off bubbles between you and Ryu!” By doing that Logan secured that Ryu was cut off from his GAO and couldn’t do direct damage.

-------------

Moves used:

Crush (55% and Def +2): Bubble (indirect)

Ace (30%): Mach Punch

Just as i planned. Water vs. Fire Type Advantage Time!

"Eve, use that speedy attack of yours to escape!"

Eve ran straight away from Ace, a white trail forming behind her, speeding right through Crush's wall of Bubbles and taking damage in the process.

"Ryu, hit Crush with that attack of yours!"

Ryu responded by running up to Crush.

---------------

Moves Used:

Ryu (60 % HP left): Force Palm

Eve (45% HP left): Quick Attack (used to get through Crush's Bubble Wall)

Edited by K_H

“Ace, stop and regroup!” Logan said. The monkey stopped following his opponent and made backflips towards Crush. He landed next to the turtle when Ryu launched his next attack. Wrong move. I need to get some distance with that one.

“Ace, Ember! Crush, Bubble! Let’s go!” The two GAOs did as they were told and launched their attacks at Ryu. The embers and bubbles formed hot steam on impact and spread over the battlefield. Logan thought it would slow Ryu down enough to get away. “Now, split up!”

Ace used his acrobatic way of moving to get closer to Eevee, while Crush ran on all fours in the opposite direction.

-------------

Moves used:

Crush (55%, +2 def): Bubble

Ace (30%): Ember

just a little longer...

Ace and Crush then used their Attacks.

Perfect!

"PHASE THREE!"

Kenny stomped on the ground, Collapsing the Cavern. Just before the ground fell, Kenny, Ryu, and Eve all jumped back, avoiding the large hole that formed below Ace, Crush, and Logan. when the dust settled, the Arena was a good six feet lower than before.

"Eve, Ryu, concentrate your fast attack on Ace!"

They responded by using the same attack, speeding towards Ace, and two white trails formed behind them.

-----------------

Moves used:

Ryu (60%): Quick Attack

Eve (45%): Quick Attack

General McCarthy tapped his cane against the wood surface of the stage, his voice bellowing out

"HALT!"

*Like with so many other matches before, the GAOs disregarded whatever order their handlers had given them and listened obediently to the General*

He turned to Kenneth holmes, actually impressed by the cadet's performance just now

"You did far better than I expected you... You pass with flying colors.

He turned to Logan next

"You both pass with flying colors."

Next he addressed the group as a whole.

"I hereby deem Squadron Fox1 to be competent in commanding and directing a Genetically Altered Organism! This portion of the Combat Readiness evaluation is complete! the next portion shall initiate at 09:00 hours! you have approximately forty-five minutes to get your partners healed, then you are to report to the Marksman's range for the next portion of the Evaluation! being late, even by ine minute, will result in immediate discharge from the program! You are Dismissed!"

Wtih that, the general walked off the stage and back towards the road leading to the base, leaving the group alone with Surge and Ray.

Surge turned to look at his squadron

"Follow me back to Base."

*With that, surge walks off as well, followed by Ray. you all follow him, and after a short hike on a dirt road, come to the east-gate of Fort Bexly. Surge waves a strange card in front of a scanner, and the massive gates grind open silently. you all follow him inside, and he turns to address you again.*

"Well, you all passed. I have no assignments for you now except to get your GAOs healed if necassary! I'm sure I don't have to remind you by now, but the Medical wing can be reached by taking a right after entering the Command Lobby, heading through the double doors, and taking another right!"

He turned and walked off towards the Officer's barracks, calling out as he walked away.

"Dismissed!"

Ray walked off towards the white structure that dominated the center of Fort Bexly; Command Central, calling out as well

"If any of you needs me for something, just go to the front desk in the Lobby and request to see Dr.Ray."

with that, the group was left standing alone as the Gates closed silently behind them.

((END OF CHAPTER 1. STORY CONTINUED IN CHAPTER 2: A SERVICE TO THINE COUNTRY.))

Edited by Stratos