Chrysalis "puzzles"

Risakisa

I'm not even going to try to be constructive. I hate these "puzzles". They're obnoxious and frustrating. Simple, sure, but frustrating and obnoxious.

The maze was bad enough; turn off fast mode and sprint, following the red vines. Except that where the red vines were was often guesswork. And then the actual chasing bit was obnoxious and annoying, but at least there were a few places to save, so it wasn't a complete reset when you get caught.

But the statue chasing bit? No. Just.. no. God-awful. Nudge the statues onto the right colour tile, then get the monster to run into the center. And if the monster touches you, you get reset. And you're on a timer. I COULD do it, but it'd take quite a while. And it'd be frustrating. And you know what? I'm just not going to do this. Especially if there are more "puzzles" like this.

0/10 I'm not playing anymore.

(addendum: tried to make this topic with the title "The Chrysalis "puzzles" suck", but it wasn't getting posted. Could be lag, or a bug, or you're not allowed to make a topic that includes the word "sucks" in it. Apologies if this gets double-posted)

Bruh, those puzzles are not even that bad lol. The ghost chase one is the only really bad one, the one with the monster gives you plenty of time to accomplish it. I forget what the third puzzle is but it was pretty easy too. Just relax and take a break. 

seconded. it really only takes a bit of trial and error to finish it, and after each section of the maze it'll even give you a head start against the dusknoir. maybe try saving during the chase when you can? that might alleviate the annoyance of restarting the maze over and over

and yeah, besides a final chase in chapter 15 that doesn't send you back to the beginning when hit, that's the only chase sequence in the game

I agree that they're not that bad.

The first time I tried the statue puzzle I had to ask help because I panicked due to the countdown and the statue resetting if the Tangela touched you.

But then I tried by myself on a second run and managed to do it by just staying calm.

The maze is annoying, I agree, but it's not that bad either. The trick is to save when the Dusknoir is not chasing you or trapped behind a wall.

Agreed with commenters, compared to Reborn nonsense they are very tame and managable, although the maze can be made much less annoying with a checkpoint somewhere in the middle. Repeating the entire way every time you mess up is honestly just aggravating, but not too bad. 

I do prefer when puzzles force you to use your head instead of already janky pokemon controls, but they are fine. 

I agree with OP that between the timer and the chasers, the puzzles are pretty annoying lol. I don't mind long puzzles to think (like the Carotos one) but having to think and move fast for a long time in a game whose battles are explicitly turn-based strategy gets old fast for me too. I don't mind a Quick-time event but I kinda liked that arc more before. 

Great to hear that there's an even worse one later on. Makes me feel even better about not playing this anymore.

And for some of you: I mentioned that there are save points in the maze. That implies that I knew about them and used them. And, yes, it makes the maze less poop. It's still poop, though.

I'd rather do one of those horrible picture puzzles, where there's one empty square you move around. Those are horrible, but they're not frustrating on the same level.

If I had nothing else to do, sure. But since there are other things, even other pokemon games, that I could do, I don't see why I should spend however long doing something this incredibly frustrating and obnoxious. Especially since there's going to be at least one more that's even worse.

And I disagree with it being easy. It's simple, but not easy. At least not for me. If it were easy, I wouldn't consider it this frustrating.

In my opinion chapter 3 is one of the most solid rework of V13, I loved these puzzles, they're just simple enough not to get frustrating with consecutive failures (and incredibly easy on a second run).
But if you don't like chapter 3's puzzle, maybe it's a good idea to stop there, because chapter 8 puzzles will annoy you way more.

Sorry for bad english

• 2 weeks later...

Granted I've never done the V13 Chrysalis Manor arc (I'm continuing a save file started in V12), just from watching them on Youtube I concur that the puzzles appear to be obnoxious. As someone who has just been diagnosed with mild autism and finds it difficult to concentrate under a time constraint and/or in a fast paced environment, I can see myself struggling with these puzzles. 

Not to mention apart from the Tangrowth robot or whatever it is which is a clever symbol of Anathea's murder the puzzles feel disconnected and distracting from the objective of character rescues. 

V12's Chrysalis Manor puzzles might have been simple but had a more authentic feel to them that gave a sense that the MC was being personally tested whereas V13's are more of a demented circus act that feels there for the sake of extravagance.  

On the other hand, I find the context of the arc, how the past super-imposes over the present layout of the city and the POV when Marionette frees the MC to be some of the finest rework of V13. It so much cleaner and cohesive.  

• 1 month later...

If anyone wants to do this bullshit puzzle for me, that'd be grand.

And I'm not sure which file/s are required, but I think these two should be right.

I'll post again once I see those allegedly-worse chapter 8 puzzles, provided someone saves me this time.

(and while I don't remember, it's very likely that I've named some 'mons something immature, vulgar, and/or offensive. I'm not posting examples, obviously, but still.)

Game_3.rxdata Game_3 - 182 - Bitchtits - 29h 3m - 2 badges.rxdata

• 5 months later...

I'm with the OP on this, the Marianette puzzle with the nudging monster is not entertaining in the slightest, it's just an exercise in patience and I have none.

So might I suggest to whoever created this puzzle - Fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

Edited by DocAlpha

Doesn't the tangrowth puzzle have like an overtime state where if you fail the initial run it 'resets' and gives you more time on the clock to nearly 5 minutes? Yeah that puzzle was mostly bad sure, but that's mainly because of the strict time to me. The maze was tedious but whatever, it's a maze. Trial and error as they say. Plus it's just a reset and not an instant fail state so fine there.

But whatever what's done is done.