Starter Help for V13

MadHappy

Back in V12, I chose Froakie as my starter, which was overall quite good. Now with V13 out, I began a new run and have trouble choosing my starter. I'm mostly inclined towards Torchic, as I've always used him for my Reborn runs. However, I saw people say Mudkip and Fennekin are also very good picks. I know a Mudkip can be found later in the game, but still. My other picks would be Treecko, Fennekin and Turtwig.

well, Fennekin can help you pass through Venam's gym and Keta's gym battle no problem and it can also help you go through all the annoying poison types in the game, while if you pick turtwig, the ground typing will surely help a lot in the late parts of the game, no offense but treecko doesn't stand out with these two in your choices. So u can pick
Fennekin- strong start and good for the rest of the adventure

Turtwig- not really a strong start (weak against Venam's poison type) but a great addition to late game

Treecko- just fck whatever I said above and go with the heart to try and prove me wrong (Venam warning again)

6 minutes ago, DaWolfie said:

Fennekin- strong start and good for the rest of the adventure

Turtwig- not really a strong start (weak against Venam's poison type) but a great addition to late game

Treecko- just fck whatever I said above and go with the heart to try and prove me wrong (Venam warning again)

Do you recommend other starters apart from these?

3 minutes ago, MadHappy said:

Do you recommend other starters apart from these?

Froakie and Torchic as u said above, are really good options, I started with scorbunny and it's kind of a pain in the early game but fun by mid game XD, and I don't think I tried any other starter, gen 1 and 2 starters are all available by the end of the game (atleast it was in v12) so yeah, just the 4 are the ones I recommend for (kind of) a strong run

Torchic is without a doubt the best starter available. Even greninja and cinderace are nowhere near as powerful as blaziken is. Greninja struggles to oneshot anything even when hitting it with protean and supereffective dmg due to it's not great sp att stat (and lack of life orb ingame). Greninja also has the worst level up moves i've ever seen. Your stuck with waterpulse as your strongest attack until like the 5th or 6th gym where you get surf. You also won't learn any coverage moves ever, and your entirely reliant on tms for all your moves. And most of the good tms don't come until later in the game. Cinderace has pretty garbage moves by level up as well  outside of pyroball and double edge. You need to the egg move tutor to get good moves like hjk and suckerpunch on cinderace (I'm at the end of chapter 12 rn and i still haven't found the egg move tutor on V13 yet).  Blaziken on the other hand, gets speed boost and has access to blaze kick and bulk up right when it evolves. You can also get flare blitz and hjk from the normal move relearner very soon after that. Blaziken can sweep entire teams with just one bulk up and can carry your run pretty hard by itself. 

On 7/24/2021 at 9:57 AM, MadHappy said:

You can get the Life Orb ingame. Castle Zygara - Karen Sidequest.

That isn't until almost the end of the game. You have to consider more than just the endgame potential that your starter will have. In fact that early and midgame will be the most important part of the game for your starter as you won't have as many other good pokemon to use.

3 hours ago, 7ravens said:

Cinderace has pretty garbage moves by level up as well  outside of pyroball and double edge.

I mean....

Pyro Ball, Double Kick, Poison Sweep for coverage and Headbutt/Double Edge are all you really need for most of the early/mid game? I'm not having many issues with it. 

And it hits SO hard with Libero. 

On 7/24/2021 at 12:58 PM, Juice said:

I mean....

Pyro Ball, Double Kick, Poison Sweep for coverage and Headbutt/Double Edge are all you really need for most of the early/mid game? I'm not having many issues with it. 

And it hits SO hard with Libero. 

Double kick is a 60bp move and poison sweep is a 50bp move. Super effective STAB double kick is only equal in bp to pyro ball and STAB super effective poison sweep is considerably weaker than just stab pyro ball. And yes being able to switch typing can be useful but double kick and poison sweep are just such weak moves that pretty quickly you won't be killing anything with them. And those are the only coverage moves you'll really get for the majority of the game, that's pretty bad imo. I'm currently replaying the game on V13 intense and I chose cinderace as my starter. And honestly when compared to other good fire mons like arcanine that gets flare blitz, close combat, and extreme speed all naturally without any kind of tutor, or incineroar with tons of utility in fake out and parting shot, or talonflame with priorty brave bird and tailwind, or blaziken that gets hjk,flareblitz,blaze kick, and set-up move in bulk up. These fire mons I mentioned all have fantastic abilities too. And all cinderace's ability does is let you change your typing so you can get stab on a weak sub-60 bp move. Just for comparison, stab se double kick is still only 180 bp while non-stab close combat from arcanine is already 240 bp. I frequently had to bench my cinderace in favour of other better fire types. You can see how I consider it's movepool garbage.

I used mudkip in both my first runs of reborn and rejuv, and I confirm that with it's great defensive and offensive typing and mice move pool he's a great addition to any team :) Primarina and contrary Serperior also are kinda fun, and even incineroar is ok, though harsh early on. 

On the topic of Cinderace, I'd just like to add that it gets natural access to Bounce. Bounce has saved me so many times since its a field changing move (cough Zetta-Geara). Turning the Volcano Field into a Sky Field and letting other Flying-types loose turns that fight into cakewalk. Cinderace with a very fast Bounce is very effective against so many mountain-based fights. You can also get out of the Underwater Field with it too

10 hours ago, 7ravens said:

Double kick is a 60bp move and poison sweep is a 50bp move. Super effective STAB double kick is only equal in bp to pyro ball and STAB super effective poison sweep is considerably weaker than just stab pyro ball. And yes being able to switch typing can be useful but double kick and poison sweep are just such weak moves that pretty quickly you won't be killing anything with them. And those are the only coverage moves you'll really get for the majority of the game, that's pretty bad imo. I'm currently replaying the game on V13 intense and I chose cinderace as my starter. And honestly when compared to other good fire mons like arcanine that gets flare blitz, close combat, and extreme speed all naturally without any kind of tutor, or incineroar with tons of utility in fake out and parting shot, or talonflame with priorty brave bird and tailwind, or blaziken that gets hjk,flareblitz,blaze kick, and set-up move in bulk up. These fire mons I mentioned all have fantastic abilities too. And all cinderace's ability does is let you change your typing so you can get stab on a weak sub-60 bp move. Just for comparison, stab se double kick is still only 180 bp while non-stab close combat from arcanine is already 240 bp. I frequently had to bench my cinderace in favour of other better fire types. You can see how I consider it's movepool garbage.

Blaziken has got worse moveset then Cinderace till Angie though. You need move relearner to get Blaziken to learn HJK. Not to mention Blaziken gets Blazke Kick(80 base damage) vs Pyro Ball(120 base damage) which Cinderace gets and that is basically a Flare Blitz without recoil. Cinderace gets HJK by breeding with Scrafty which I think is a little earlier then Blaziken gets it. According to Pokedex Cinderace learns Sucker Punch by TM which you can obtain in 7th gym town(Depending on your choice of couse). Cinderce also gets bounce which becomes slighty stronger than Brave Bird Blaziken but with lower accuracy and no recoil. Cinderace learns Bulk up by TM as well. Not to mention according to Pokedex Cinderace will be able to learn Zen Headbutt and Iron head( dunno of these are available though in this version though).

I would say both of them are pretty equal in strength. Even if you decide not to breed Cinderace for HJK you could use Stab Return or Double edge till you reach egg move learner.

If i can add my reccomendation: I seriously suggest giving Grookey a try. Why exactly?

Two words: Grassy Surge.

Having access to a 'mon that can just outright remove most annoying field effects since the start of the game can turn a lot of difficult battles into a cakewalk. (Looking at you, Valarie. And at you too, Angie. And don't think i forgot about you, Saki.)

Rillaboom also hits like a truck, and gets access to a lot of strong moves like Wood Hammer and Knock Off just by levelling. 

For comparison's sage: The only other 'mons that have access to the Surge abilities (other than the Tapus, who we obviously won't be getting for a long while) Are Indeedee, Pincurchin and Galarian Weezing. The only one i could find so far is Indeedee (Can be gotten in Chapter 9), and i still found myself using Rillaboom anyway due to its' sky-high attack and amazing synergy with the Grassy Field.

Also: Its' Rejuv custom shiny is themed after Donkey Kong. You can't top that.

So yeah, give Grookey a shot. It opens up a lot of different strategies on how to approach certain fights just by having access to Grassy Surge since the start of the game.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Glynda said:

Having access to a 'mon that can just outright remove most annoying field effects since the start of the game can turn a lot of difficult battles into a cakewalk.

Has your Rillaboom been able to do this? I picked mine as a starter thinking this same thing but was sorely disappointed to learn it just stacks on top of the already-existing field.

2 hours ago, PSFLeo said:

Has your Rillaboom been able to do this? I picked mine as a starter thinking this same thing but was sorely disappointed to learn it just stacks on top of the already-existing field.

Fresh off the second rift battle as I am - my impression is that grassy surge doesn't always stack on top, but sometimes replaces the field (though not as often as it stacks). Also, sometimes, even when it only stacks instead of replacing, when it wears off it also removes the existing field - at least it did several times after stacking on top of forest field. This could come in handy if it triggers where it matters - e.g. boss battles. But if there is any intention on part of the dev team in this design, rather than just a bug, I'm pretty sure it won't. Devs appear to think hard for the sake of hard is fun.

I think all the fire starters are trash personally. and grookey's whole line is garbage.

but I'm wondering if there is a way to manipulate the RNG starters to give a specific one every time? (like maybe female ralts)

defiantly something to look into.

• 2 months later...

Cinderace is insanely strong. Bounce to change fields is extremely versatile coupled by the fact that it learns pyro ball (and evolves) at level 35. Libero is pretty much protean with a far better level up learn set and it does pick up extremely good egg moves later on. Definitely worth looking into, Cinderace has been a god send on my intense run so far.

I wouldn't actually advise Turtwig on intense, but is super good everywhere else, curse with potions is crazy strong.  Good counter for Keta and Marianette but ground typing will make it the one grass starter to suffer on valerie.

I'd honestly advise picking a starter you cannot catch later on unless you really like it, will give you some more variety and having a strong starter really helps, especially considering the way availability is balanced in rejuvenation. 

libero cinderace can be extremely useful its y starter for v13 run it really goddamn good due to its libero early game flamecharge double kick poison sweep etc its good.later game pyro ball ,sucker punch ,may be zen headbutt and a changeable slot

On 8/2/2021 at 9:33 AM, Mizuki said:

I think all the fire starters are trash personally. and grookey's whole line is garbage.

i dont think fire types are trash infernape ,blaziken, cinderace,and charizard are good starters in my mono flying run chariard was my pal,even though its base hundred speed it destroyed the cursed aegislash of melia as gym battle and hydreigon was just dead.mimikyu was the problem which was hard along with aegislah.fure type starter can be definitely good based on the scenario or overall so i dont consider them trash they are just as good as some of the best starters