Pokemon Reborn Redux [Mod][E18.71 Version Released]

Commander

Woop, beat a master fight first try for once, Shade. Been a blast using Castform for the first time ever. Also am I supposed to get medals for these? I only have medals for Julia (only one I did not beat master fight for) and Florinia.

Outside of not being able to breed at all using Redux script file, it's been a fun run so far.

1 hour ago, DeadStillTalking said:

Woop, beat a master fight first try for once, Shade. Been a blast using Castform for the first time ever. Also am I supposed to get medals for these? I only have medals for Julia (only one I did not beat master fight for) and Florinia.

Outside of not being able to breed at all using Redux script file, it's been a fun run so far.

Yes and no. If you beat the master fights you are fine as I'll have a character hand you all the missed medals in the E18 version so don't worry. Also what do you mean by breeding? I'm not aware of that error unless you are talking about other mods.

Not much to talk about as September I'm taking a break from Redux which will resume back in October. We're getting there though. Poco a poco.

2 hours ago, Commander said:

Yes and no. If you beat the master fights you are fine as I'll have a character hand you all the missed medals in the E18 version so don't worry. Also what do you mean by breeding? I'm not aware of that error unless you are talking about other mods.

Not much to talk about as September I'm taking a break from Redux which will resume back in October. We're getting there though. Poco a poco.

Receiving an egg from the old man crashes the game. It has been posted about here before iirc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, long time no talk. And before you ask, the mod isn't dead and I've actually started working on it again. I kind of wanted to get to Angie in Rejuvenation before fully jumping back but...I think I've been on hiatus for this long enough. I'm not going to update since most of it is getting HCHQ done which depending on the day could be done in a couple days or a couple weeks. Once that's done things will probably pick up a lot more since there's just a lot of copy and paste along with editing instead of 25+ tabbed events. Btw, I hate events and would rather do dialogue through scripts, but what can you do. Also decided to finalize my plan to go about what I promised (as I am a man of my word) though I do want to cover one topic:

The Level Limiter

I know Rejuv uses this and honestly, I see why a lot of people like it. At one time, I thought it was the best solution to tackle the problem. It works really, really well, but there's still one issue. Training up a Pokemon from the ground up is a tiresome if not time wasting mess. You also waste exp often which feels bad (and the gold you get from it is pitiful at points) so it feels a bit wasteful. This issue is cranked up with Redux as wild Pokemon are now 5 levels lower compared to Reborn and that whole rebattable trainers mess. I may in E19 go and add a bunch of levels to wild Pokemon to better match the trainer levels (maybe even give them the trainer exp multiplier), but I can only do so much testing and focus on that. I mean Pokemon is weird as most RPGs you fight and defeat all random encounters, but Pokemon it's pretty much the complete opposite. I just want to comment that just because something is great and enjoyable doesn't mean it can't be improved (god I should fix the no item mod to make the PBS file less of a nightmare)

Now I want to talk about the modding community here for a moment. There have been some absolutely amazing mods to come from this especially the transfer Pokemon from game file to game file. Mods are a controversial topic as they can make a community thrive and at the same time completely ruin the gaming experience for everyone. Sometimes you just don't know what will happen when you do something. I feel like we've somehow hit a dead middle ground...which is the worse place to be. I consider Debug mode cheating which a lot of people find it acceptable and okay to use when replaying the game. I'd say it's even encouraged. This kind of has put modding to a complete halt as there's no point in putting the effort if people aren't even going to bother using the features anyways. But really, I'm just a whiny bitch who instead of acting like a baby, I should spend that time being productive...solving my gripes. Also about time I reclaimed my throne for best mod again

So something I think a lot of people don't know is that I'm actually a pretty good listener and I've been listening. Sure I rant and get angry all the time, but that doesn't mean I didn't hear what you guys say. If someone makes a valid point I refute, I may go back and end up agreeing with them. I mean I was looking at Something Awful and they were making fun of the Haunter event and how terrible and lazy a mod I was. Most people would get upset or mad, but I was honestly happy I was worth mentioning. Besides, it ain't nothing I haven't told myself already. Let's just move on to where I talk about some things I've noticed:

The Party System Sucks

It was a good idea on paper and a bad idea in practice. As much as I want to save it, I can only manage to salvage a few interactive things to do with it without spending a lot of dedicated time on it. I'd love to do that, but unfortunately there's nobody to do the more important job if I spend all my time on that. It's okay as everyone gets a bad idea once in a while. Or if your the Paper Mario...I won't go there. For the people who do like it, I will improve it and remove the annoyances such as missing possible add-on Pokemon for them (besides the secret mons) and will change a certain secret mon to be easier to get (since I don't think anyone would ever figure out Aya's second one).

There's a bigger issue with it that I have heard everyone complain about: it's too much grinding. I agree. Actually, a lot of Pokemon in the game get screwed just due to being late game to the point the viability from them just is not worth the effort. I actually have a solution for the party system that I'm like 99% sure will work, but...I'm actually going to add the main character into the system as well. At first, I know I'm going to get a lot of hate and backlash for it, but there are checks to prevent it from being abused. All I'm doing is chucking 80% of the grinding in the game out. That's 80-90% grinding that people would not have done in the first place. I am a firm believer that you need at least 15 minutes worth of grinding to feel stronger.

Praise Helix for the Heart Scales

So something you guys might not know is about the Fossil Maniac in HCHQ...he's going to be replacing the TM Vendor. And before you whine about that going away, that pretty much was only for getting Shadow Ball and Power-up Punch early. I'll at least promise one of those will be available much earlier than you may think. He'll be easy to find then and after a certain point he'll sell Helix Fossils, Shards, and Heart Scales. I feel this is a nice and easy place to find those pain in the butt items to get.

Do I Really Have to Redownload the Entire Game Again

For E18, yes. For E19, you shouldn't have to but I will say more people will want to. I looked into it a bit and I think it'll be safe to upload the developer version of Redux on Github. If I make any changes to the game such as maps or the scripts, you could see and track it and simply download the pieces that changed instead of the entire thing. I want to get all the edits done before doing that since it's mostly a my end. This also means that other people working on the game can edit and change it without waiting for me. Obviously I'll keep the Mega file for official releases, but this way I don't have to deal with endless hotfixes and then taking it down to reupload it every time a critical bug is found. I'll give more details on that later.

When will you release the mod?

December is my stretch goal, but bloody hell we all know it's going to be like April if E16 is anything to go by. I'm not rushing it this time and if it takes a year, it takes a year. I'll try to at least give monthly updates so people can see where things are, but some months I might not do much (but honestly I want this done and over with as much as the next guy so I doubt that will be the case still). It's way long overdue as I've basically been gone for two versions. That's a long time to only have a small portion of the game even playable. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Commander said:

Hi, long time no talk. And before you ask, the mod isn't dead and I've actually started working on it again. I kind of wanted to get to Angie in Rejuvenation before fully jumping back but...I think I've been on hiatus for this long enough. I'm not going to update since most of it is getting HCHQ done which depending on the day could be done in a couple days or a couple weeks. Once that's done things will probably pick up a lot more since there's just a lot of copy and paste along with editing instead of 25+ tabbed events. Btw, I hate events and would rather do dialogue through scripts, but what can you do. Also decided to finalize my plan to go about what I promised (as I am a man of my word) though I do want to cover one topic:

The Level Limiter

I know Rejuv uses this and honestly, I see why a lot of people like it. At one time, I thought it was the best solution to tackle the problem. It works really, really well, but there's still one issue. Training up a Pokemon from the ground up is a tiresome if not time wasting mess. You also waste exp often which feels bad (and the gold you get from it is pitiful at points) so it feels a bit wasteful. This issue is cranked up with Redux as wild Pokemon are now 5 levels lower compared to Reborn and that whole rebattable trainers mess. I may in E19 go and add a bunch of levels to wild Pokemon to better match the trainer levels (maybe even give them the trainer exp multiplier), but I can only do so much testing and focus on that. I mean Pokemon is weird as most RPGs you fight and defeat all random encounters, but Pokemon it's pretty much the complete opposite. I just want to comment that just because something is great and enjoyable doesn't mean it can't be improved (god I should fix the no item mod to make the PBS file less of a nightmare)

Now I want to talk about the modding community here for a moment. There have been some absolutely amazing mods to come from this especially the transfer Pokemon from game file to game file. Mods are a controversial topic as they can make a community thrive and at the same time completely ruin the gaming experience for everyone. Sometimes you just don't know what will happen when you do something. I feel like we've somehow hit a dead middle ground...which is the worse place to be. I consider Debug mode cheating which a lot of people find it acceptable and okay to use when replaying the game. I'd say it's even encouraged. This kind of has put modding to a complete halt as there's no point in putting the effort if people aren't even going to bother using the features anyways. But really, I'm just a whiny bitch who instead of acting like a baby, I should spend that time being productive...solving my gripes. Also about time I reclaimed my throne for best mod again

So something I think a lot of people don't know is that I'm actually a pretty good listener and I've been listening. Sure I rant and get angry all the time, but that doesn't mean I didn't hear what you guys say. If someone makes a valid point I refute, I may go back and end up agreeing with them. I mean I was looking at Something Awful and they were making fun of the Haunter event and how terrible and lazy a mod I was. Most people would get upset or mad, but I was honestly happy I was worth mentioning. Besides, it ain't nothing I haven't told myself already. Let's just move on to where I talk about some things I've noticed:

The Party System Sucks

It was a good idea on paper and a bad idea in practice. As much as I want to save it, I can only manage to salvage a few interactive things to do with it without spending a lot of dedicated time on it. I'd love to do that, but unfortunately there's nobody to do the more important job if I spend all my time on that. It's okay as everyone gets a bad idea once in a while. Or if your the Paper Mario...I won't go there. For the people who do like it, I will improve it and remove the annoyances such as missing possible add-on Pokemon for them (besides the secret mons) and will change a certain secret mon to be easier to get (since I don't think anyone would ever figure out Aya's second one).

There's a bigger issue with it that I have heard everyone complain about: it's too much grinding. I agree. Actually, a lot of Pokemon in the game get screwed just due to being late game to the point the viability from them just is not worth the effort. I actually have a solution for the party system that I'm like 99% sure will work, but...I'm actually going to add the main character into the system as well. At first, I know I'm going to get a lot of hate and backlash for it, but there are checks to prevent it from being abused. All I'm doing is chucking 80% of the grinding in the game out. That's 80-90% grinding that people would not have done in the first place. I am a firm believer that you need at least 15 minutes worth of grinding to feel stronger.

Praise Helix for the Heart Scales

So something you guys might not know is about the Fossil Maniac in HCHQ...he's going to be replacing the TM Vendor. And before you whine about that going away, that pretty much was only for getting Shadow Ball and Power-up Punch early. I'll at least promise one of those will be available much earlier than you may think. He'll be easy to find then and after a certain point he'll sell Helix Fossils, Shards, and Heart Scales. I feel this is a nice and easy place to find those pain in the butt items to get.

Do I Really Have to Redownload the Entire Game Again

For E18, yes. For E19, you shouldn't have to but I will say more people will want to. I looked into it a bit and I think it'll be safe to upload the developer version of Redux on Github. If I make any changes to the game such as maps or the scripts, you could see and track it and simply download the pieces that changed instead of the entire thing. I want to get all the edits done before doing that since it's mostly a my end. This also means that other people working on the game can edit and change it without waiting for me. Obviously I'll keep the Mega file for official releases, but this way I don't have to deal with endless hotfixes and then taking it down to reupload it every time a critical bug is found. I'll give more details on that later.

When will you release the mod?

December is my stretch goal, but bloody hell we all know it's going to be like April if E16 is anything to go by. I'm not rushing it this time and if it takes a year, it takes a year. I'll try to at least give monthly updates so people can see where things are, but some months I might not do much (but honestly I want this done and over with as much as the next guy so I doubt that will be the case still). It's way long overdue as I've basically been gone for two versions. That's a long time to only have a small portion of the game even playable. 

That's perfectly fine, Commander! Just don't push yourself too much. Glad to see you've returned to finishing the mod 🙂

The only time I ever chose to use Debug was my playthrough of Rejuvenation. There was some kind of error during the cutscene between Neved and Melia at Blacksteeple. When It went back to me, I was in Merianette's avatar.😫 And I thought it was part of the game. Don't judge, please. It's Rejuv. Body-swapping at that point felt normal and entirely plausible.

So, I spent all the way up until Angie playing as this little blonde girl named Jonah. I didn't figure it out until Angie walled me and left me in hopeless defeat. I did not realize I could actually leave the tower around her, and was under the impression I was literally trapped there with no hope of changing my pokemon roster. Funny, I could always almost beat her, but for one full 15 hour stint, I failed miserably. Finally, I got a debug menu, and then switched out my avatar and did something about my team (Which did nothing but make the problem worse, and I was determined not to cheat with a weird team addition. Though I think I did add one mon since I'm pathetic with sidequests and had at that point only 5 or so active mons. Quagsire and Lunatone alone carried my team, and it just wasn't going to work in the face of the cold truth. My team was not winning, and I was under the impression I was stuck until after I already used debug) *Shakes head*

• 3 weeks later...

This might sound silly but how do you actually run this mod? I downloaded it from the link on this topic, got the RAR File and put it in my Mods folder but it didn't do anything. For the record, I've just completed Episode 18 and was looking for a new challenge.

15 hours ago, Aldanta said:

This might sound silly but how do you actually run this mod? I downloaded it from the link on this topic, got the RAR File and put it in my Mods folder but it didn't do anything. For the record, I've just completed Episode 18 and was looking for a new challenge.

.rar files are archives, exactly like the .zip ones.
You need to extract its contents; you can use many tools for that, for example https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

After you have extracted it, do NOT put it into the Mods folder.
You see, the archive contains a full installation of the game, already modded: to play it you only have to open the extracted folder and start the game from there.

If you want to add other mods to Redux you can then install them into the extracted folder, if they happen to be compatible with Redux.

12 hours ago, Waynolt said:

.rar files are archives, exactly like the .zip ones.
You need to extract its contents; you can use many tools for that, for example https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

After you have extracted it, do NOT put it into the Mods folder.
You see, the archive contains a full installation of the game, already modded: to play it you only have to open the extracted folder and start the game from there.

If you want to add other mods to Redux you can then install them into the extracted folder, if they happen to be compatible with Redux.

Ooooooooh right. Duh. Should of tried that first haha. Forgot that you can unzip RAR files. Thanks for the help 🙂

13 hours ago, Waynolt said:

For anyone reading: DO NOT DO THIS! The demo is a version of E17 and not E18. Releases do take a while to get out so often times I keep an earlier release version of the game up to try it out and see. We'll eventually see some playable E18 version but not for a while. Even though I'm silent, I do set plans out for worse case scenarios and sometimes delay working on it for school and other things. Because of that, I don't look at this thread often so if there's an issue, it might be wise to @Commander me so I notice sooner rather than later..

On 11/18/2018 at 12:01 AM, Dragon116 said:

@Commander I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that gets project fatigue. Today I spent 2 hours to type 8 lines of code. That's after a 1 month break.

My issue is the actual get going as when I get going, I get going. Speaking of which...

Redux E18 is technically playable now from beginning to end. Everything from the E16 version is back (with a couple alterations), but there's still a couple things I have to do. The only big things left are the new Party members as well as adding and adjusting Pokemon for the older party members. There's also one other feature that needs to be added, but that's it. Once that's done, it's off to refining the fights and bug testing. And trying to remember things I forgot. You cannot fathom how many custom events I have made and had transfer over. There probably was over 100. A good chunk needed to be edited. Adding those master fights in definitely was not a snap of the finger, unfortunately. Skipping E17 was probably a very, very smart move on my part because this took hours to do. It'll take a little bit less time to transfer for E19, but it's still hours. That's how much custom stuff was put into Redux.

I'm not going to promise a December nor January release yet, mostly because there are things I want to fully implement and add, but I still haven't decided if it'd be on a first release or maybe another release in maybe a year or so. That's not planned stuff or anything. Also, I realized I put in way too much effort into a mod, but some of the silly things I enjoy doing. One of my favorites is making Jim Guy quotes for all the leaders. It's a bit of flavor text when I could easily have done generic copy and paste events for all of it. Then again, I don't really gain much from making 3 variants of each gym leaders. Gotta love the holes my ego digs me into. Then there's the fact my brain doesn't let me do things the easy way...without a war. It already stormed up another 3 things I need to get done before a release.

Though I do bear some bad news. The best Hardcore character was axed from the game. Let us pay tribute to his passing:

Spoiler

image.png.7e9d7a81da198074e1f88849288b1e5a.png

image.png.0c915397db5647e703e472dfc9729ecd.png

Let's get down to business to defeat the bugs

Did they send me updates when, I asked for links.

I'm the saddest loaf you ever met

But you can bet before we're through

Listen, I'll make a mod just for you

I'm just in a singing mood this week. Just because dialogue editing is on hold for the time being doesn't mean I'm not doing other quality of life changes or additions. I've implemented a few more things today and I think this'll most likely be the last update before a release. I have A LOT of small stuff and testing to get done but today's focus was some neat little convenience changes. I'll probably post pics of my testing progress on Discord just because I can, but it's kind of a relief and scary that my next post might be an actual release. Let's break it down now:

No More Shifting your way to Victory

Okay not really a big change but a rather small one. For stuff like the CoM, I forced shift the style in the menu and had you have to change it back. Not anymore as if you leave a setting on Shift, it'll stay on shift. That also means Master fights will be fought on set mode no matter the style. Blame Dem on this one.

Cutting the PBS File Down

Another small little tweak. Anyone familiar with the Redux PBS knows it was a nightmare to navigate. It still is, but I finally fixed the PBS file (I think) so No Items doesn't take its own trainer to work. That knocked 1k lines off so hopefully it's easier to read through. I might eventually reorder some of the trainers to slots where they appear in the story (since it is story order and not Ame's new sorting). That also means theoretically that No Item is friendly to transfer and add to other mods which is probably the big thing people want from this change.

Put Your Hands Up and Put the Money In Your Own Bag

Another minor change but wiping won't cause you to lose money. In the early stages, the amount of money you lose is so little it doesn't matter if you wipe or not but by 13 or more badges, you end up losing 3/4ths of your money so you will soft reset to make up for even an hour's worth of progress to keep it. This is just a convenience so you don't have to worry so much about it. This is based on an old glitch I experienced in an old Hardcore run and I kind of really liked it.

Did I Just Hatch a Level 55 Snorlax?

So that was a fun little glitch that happened when bug fixing this feature. So something more experienced RPG gamers know that sometimes in games where you don't use Party Members in the reserve they get auto leveled up after certain points in the plot so they don't fall behind. That's...not so much the case with Redux. I teased this feature before, but since I know it does work it's what I call an Auto Leveler. What does it do? It takes the previous Gym's cap and for a small price, it'll make your team that level. Eggs and Pokemon above the cap are excluded so no need to worry about them getting screwed out of a level or a fun surprise when it hatches. Party Members are much cheaper than your main character so if you want to play around with one it's now not as risky or time consuming.

"But Commander, doesn't this break the game?" I mean you can probably get to those levels in about 30 minutes on a single mon, but since you have to teach it moves it could come up to a price of 35-50k per mon (5k for the levels, 5-20k for heart scales, and 25k to change the nature). Leveling them this way doesn't let them learn new moves. Also the Nature Changer now takes 5 heart scales since they are buyable after a certain point. Its intention was simply to help people with large rotation teams be able to keep using all their Pokemon with little worry for one to fall behind.

Everything is Here!

...I just wanted to make a Smash Bros meme. If it was in a previous version of Hardcore/Redux, it's going to be in this game...except Mission Mode. I just do not have the time to fully flesh that one out sadly. This includes things such as the axed Insanity Mode long ago. Did I bring an old feature back just to make a meme? Yes, yes I did. But being serious, I can't include arbitrary things such as being able to switch TM Breeding and the Level Limiter on or off not because it's hard but just because the latter the game is balanced around. I wonder if that means it is making a return. Perhaps old Hardcore players will remember.

• Upvote 4

When I said I wouldn't make another update...I apparently lied. I just finished up testing Luna and I had to pull a few little extremes but I managed to get one of her league strats working in the game and it's honestly really cool (hint: it's her ace). I'm really happy with how both Radomus and Luna turned out. Also here's a new little QoL addition to the game:

Disobedience is no longer in the game

You read that right. A Pokemon will not disobey you no matter what. I know people really hate using Common candies since it weakens their Pokemon. This feature in Redux has so little significance due to the level limiter I figured I may as well just remove that tiny hassle to make life a little bit easier. There is a catch though. You can only rare candy the Pokemon up three level above the limit. Yeah, there's probably loopholes for it, but this is just to make sure people don't try to power level the opponents.

There is a slight hiccup with this feature (which I will make good documentation in the Readme and in-game) along with the autoleveler. Due to how I had to go about scripting these (hooray for calling badges being a pain), you need to win a battle before the limit is changed to a new limit. It can be a wild Pokemon or a trainer though I think it is fine as long as you defeat a Pokemon. I HATE having little bugs like that in a game so it probably annoys me way more than it will you, but I'd rather have these features with a minor issue than no feature at all. I'll try to get this little hiccup fixed, but it's highly doubtful right now.

3 hours ago, Zarc said:

Where the actual release goes to already ?  I mean redux features ? ( Which gym leader ? ) 

The E17 version goes up to Aya but doesn't have all the features. The next version will be the whole thing which at the rate I'm going should be early January.

Battle QA has been going rather smoothly with the main issues being leveling up. I've been trying to smooth out the post Aya areas but you may still be slightly underleveled for a couple gym battles. I am doing everything in my power to not have to include exp all. I've also been testing individual mons to make sure nothing is too op and nothing is way too weak which with a few techniques I can shorten the process and fix things like Blake's Glalie will now explode. Radomus I might have to hack to and fix though. A couple of his fights had some AI issues. Also, I'm at Ciel now if you're wondering.

So when I get done with QA testing it's a release, right? Not exactly. When I get done with my edits and polish I'll make a build to have someone check to make sure all the master fights are beatable within reason. While that is going on I'll finish up the last bits if eventing and additions. It will mostly be Synopsis stuff. When that phase is done, then it's time for a release.

So I have been powering through Redux over winter break and managed to get phase 1 of the testing done. I just think people would like knowing I have a functional mod sitting on my desktop now. As for what I need to get done:

The party system needs a bit of changes adding in any mons that were added BUT I'm not going to remove any of the old ones so consider those bonuses except for one voltorb on Julia. That will take a day. Then there's some map edits that need to be done and one event segment as well which will likely take a day. The last thing is the synopsis. I don't know how long that one will take. It likely will be a couple days.

There is also one last secret project I'd like to consider taking on before a release which some of you might have an idea on what it could be. No promises it will be in a release though.

So progress on my side is more or less done. Now I just gotta sit through the second stage of testing and fix anything major. Testing to throw me one last surprise as I learned overwriting the trainer file breaks the game. I had to use an older copy to get around it.

A January release seems very likely but I make no promises. Also decided to drop the secret project as I think my hands are beyond full. I guess I can tell you it was figuring out the follower mod and adding it in. It's not really that hard, but I don't think I can handle all the needed fixes and manage to make on fit to what I believe is my level of quality. It doesn't mean I'm not going to help out. I'll be tinkering to see if we can make this better or easier to transfer. The current one is a bit of a nightmare of copy and pastes.