Fire Emblem On Forums: Mortal Transgressions (IC)

RedMageCole

image.png.54c8fe83962680ca155080885f577cd2.png
Leaving Baldur's tent Lysander sighed. On one hand it was good that Baldur had refused his offer. He needed someone he could trust to watch his back, and Baldur's outbursts weren't safe. On the other, he felt bad seeing him in such a broken state. But Lysander wasn't a wordsmith, it wouldn't be his encouragement that could drag him out of there. Lysander searched for Lenore throughout the camp, his second on his list of possible companions. 

Lysander finds Lenore sitting calmly in her tent, calmly setting out a set of lockpicks, muttering under her breath. Fiddling with a pair of picks, she frowns.

eleanor-mug.png

"One, two.....three....damn. The rake'll need replacing....."
She looks up suddenly as Lysander enters her field of view, silently putting her picks back into her pouch.

eleanor-mug.png

"Marvel. What do you need?"

Justine was quiet for a while after Arthur spoke. Thinking, considering, and wondering, as she always did. Then, abruptly, she turned and hugged the mage, squeezing her arms around his chest.

faquppZ.png

"Thank you, Arthur." She held the hug for a moment before disengaging. "Sometimes I lose sight of myself." She sighed, but there was less weight to it than before. "We should head back, though, before Kane tears down the forest looking for us."

image.png

"Back up." He answered simply. Lysander pulled from inside his cloak a scroll, holding it up with one hand. . "During the confusion at the end of the battle, I got this thrown at me. It's enchanted with powerful dark magic and it has a message from the enemy. They have an interest in me, and some of the targets of my heists. They plan to meet me after dark, but I don't trust them as far as I can throw them." 

He paused for a moment thinking how much he should share with Lenore. Lysander sighed, and put away the scroll. "I want to use this opportunity to gather all information about our common enemy, as well as mine. So yes this is very much personal for me. But I think I can trust a fellow thief to keep certain things secret? And if it's a trap, I trust your instincts will help in getting me out of a tough situation. Can I count on you?" 

image.png

"You remember the eccentric mage on the battlefield? Famine I think was his code name. I don't have any personal history with him, but he seems to be a fan of the Marvel Thief. I know that over the course of my 'career' I've gathered gratitude and adoration from the people but... I never imagined someone as strange as this fellow... However, he's a strong mage. Far stronger than me, and my magics have a natural disadvantage against his. If it comes to combat, I'll lose for sure. But with the help of our group, we can take him down no problem. However if we go all together we'll just spook him. That's about all I know right now."  

Lenore frowns a minute. He had a point, getting Kane involved in this mess was likely going to distract him. She didn't like this all THAT much, but getting information on their enemies was something she relished the chance to do.

After all, scoping out her marks was exactly how Lenore had succeeded in every heist, con and act of flim-flammery she'd ever engaged in. Why should war be any different?

eleanor-mug.png

"....alright. I'd rather not get into another fight if we're doing this. Is there anyone else you're looking at for back-up?"

image.png

Lysander shook his head. "Again, I don't want to spook him away. It's not just Kane on edge, everyone in the camp seems to be in a sour mood. The meeting place isn't far from the camp, if we do get into a fight we can run back and draw him closer to the safety of the camp. Do you have your things? We'll depart as soon as you're ready." 

image.png

"Then let's get going." He took the lead, walking them out of the camp. Hopefully it seemed natural as they left the camp, and towards the battlefield from earlier that day. As soon as they were out of the camp's light he put on his mask, and from under his cloak he took out a pair of black gloves and put them them on. "As soon as you feel anything fishy, let me know. We don't know what to expect, our instincts have to be on point." He said as they further into the trees. 

Arthur paused, looking as if he was briefly worried his words didn't really do much. Justine's hug, however, proved him quickly wrong on that front. After a brief hesitation, he hugged her back, warmth filling his body as he did.

bfZorCb.png

"...You're welcome," Arthur whispered, holding it until she was ready to let go. "It's okay to lose sight from time to time... Nobody's perfect." You come pretty close, though. Obviously, Arthur wouldn't say that out loud, he could only imagine how she'd take that... it certainly wasn't a flirt in his mind, just genuine happiness that someone was willing to talk to him in this way. "Yeah, we'll get back to camp. Hopefully he hasn't worried too much."

---

As Lenore and Lysander walked through the forest, it didn't take too long before they saw the crackling of electricity in the middle of a tree. The wind suddenly picked up in that specific area, blowing away from it as if the branches themselves were giving off a powerful force of wind. Suddenly, a black void appeared, an ominous all-encompassing hole that seemed to swallow up the tree's branches. It looked as if once it dissipated, an entire chunk of the tree would be gone...

...but instead, when the void vanished, there was Famine, looking at the two of them while hanging off of a branch by his feet. Without his bandana or his hood on.

W7ktAaa.png

“'Allo! How's it going? Yeah, weird angle, but I can kinda tell you're definitely the Marvel Thief in the flesh! And I can tell from this weird angle that should be the person who thought I was smart, right? Cool! That's a great choice of person! Haha!" His tone is about as threatening as a caterpillar. "Anyways, you probably wanna talk about Daxter, right? First I gotta tell you about Dea-ath! Because he's really mad about the challenge you gave us. Like, really mad. You really shattered his ego. Good job! We haven't had a proper challenge like that in a while! Good job! But yeah, he was kinda playing with you guys. He didn't really see you guys as threats, so he kiiiinda played with you all. But now? He's gonna bust out his best toxins, ones that work fast. And let me tell you; those work fast. I'd know!" A laugh. "So yeah, next time you see him, don't expect healing staves to work out. Buuuu-uuuut I might give ya some doses of the cuuu-uuure... if you'll play a little game with me!"

While Mim had clearly been recovering, she had stayed unconscious, tucked under a blanket by a caring Simeon. There were a few moments where she tossed and turned, but she eventually had settled. But as the crew began to move, talk, she finally found herself stirring. Waking up, she slowly pushed the blanket off herself, sitting up and looking around. Glancing down at herself, she winced at the blood stained and torn clothes. A gentle touch to her cheek found a raised slash on her cheek. It seemed that the poison on the arrow had meant the healing hadn't finished the job. She'd seen this sort of thing before, scars even after magical healing. She bit her lip, staring at her hands. She couldn't focus on all of this now. She slid off her jacket, folding it up and tucking it into her backpack. It was ruined for now, she'd have to try and fix it later. A small hesitation and her hat followed suit. It wasn't nearly as cold down here anyways, and it had all just been getting in the way anyways. She had to move forward.

Stepping out of the tent, she spotted Crimson, a small frown crossing her face. She walked over to him, and tugged on his sleeve.

G0lLWTp.png

"I... We need to talk. Ok? Away from all of this. You don't want this around everyone else I don't think."

Arthur had been hurriedly turning the spitroast, mildly annoyed with Kane for beginning to neglect it while people weren't eating it in favor of strategizing. A good batch of food shouldn't be left to be heated on one side for too long...

...Of course, when he saw Mim, he looked a little bit excited until he heard her tone. A little sigh as he took the spitroast off of the fire, gently moving it away.

bfZorCb.png

"...Yeah, I don't. As long as you just wanna get it out of the way," he had said completely resigned to this fate. He wanted to fight back, his eyes noting the little wound on her face and saying that she could have gotten a lot worse... but Arthur didn't have the energy to get angry, especially when she had just woken up.

Mim winced at the tone, and walked away a small distance from the rest of the group. Enough that they wouldn't hear normal voices, but certainly close enough that yelling would be audible. A hesitation, then a shake of her head.

7MKQH9I.png

"Look, at the start of the battle, I wanted to yell but just... I'm not going to. But you can't do that sort of thing anymore. Please. You're so much more important than me. I can handle myself too. And you're just... You're more important than me, ok? We need you. You're royalty, even if you don't like to talk about it, and we might need that some day. I'm just... A merchant's daughter plays around with potions. I did what I did today because I knew if I didn't, someone else would end up doing something stupid. And I was right, you all did. So please just... Promise me you won't do something like jumping in front of me like that again, ok? Please?"

ZzVdGVd.png

There's a lot going through her mind right now, as she stares quietly off into the distance. After that whole debacle, not many of those things are good things. If she couldn't stop any of that from happening, what good is she, exactly? She's got lofty goals, all right--but it doesn't look like they're goals that are going to get anywhere if she keeps giving these sorts of performances.

Pathetic.

Arthur obediently listened, attempting to not change his expression as he did.

bfZorCb.png

"..."

When Mim had finished, he finally spoke up. Once again, he was having difficulty in finding proper words to actually use.

s5l6Z9V.png

"I... won't do it again. But... please look after yourself. I... I know what we're doing is dangerous, but I can't lose someone else. Not again... I was... I was scared. Both times Death had you in his sights..."

bfZorCb.png

"If I can't protect you... please, at least allow me to continue to aid you. Take down enemies that may be giving you trouble and whatnot."

---

Famine gave a hearty laugh at the two.

W7ktAaa.png

“Now this will be fun! See, isn't it nice having just the three of us? If Death were here he'd kick me in the privates or worse, and if that guy Phoenix were here he'd probably scold everyone! But with us, there's only fun times to be had!"

Famine floats down from the tree, doing a little loop to get himself reoriented. He briefly held his head in dizziness, before pulling out a batch of three potions.

yqD2OKs.png

“Here are the rules! It's a question game! I'll ask you a question about Virtuous and yourselves. You can answer the question, or you can not answer question! When you can not answer, the game's over! If you answer, then not only do I give you one of the antidotes which are each good for about... 3 people, I wanna say? But I'll also let you both ask me a question that I'll answer! And if I can't answer, then you get all the potions! And if you manage to answer all three of my questions, you get a special bonus prize! Pretty good odds, huh? Two rules! One; no asking questions about each other's identity! You wanna keep yours a secret, I wanna keep mine a secret. And anyway, don't bother interrogating me about the identities of the other Icons of Sin, I actually have no clue myself, Death runs a tight ship. Two; no lying! And trust me, I'll find out." Though he said his last bit with a smile, the tone turned gravely serious before turning back to his lighthearted tone. “With that, I'll go first! Whatch'all doing in a crummy place like Ulux, anyway? Ulux is kinda a crummy place, ya know?"

---

After seeing Lysander leaving Baldur's tent, Simeon allowed his curiosity to take over. After peeking in on Sid and making sure he was actually doing his work, Simeon peeked into Baldur's tent.

uYXtWpi.png

"...I won't bother askin' if ye're doin' okay, because I can tell ye clearly ain't. Would you be willin' to tell me why ye ain't doin' okay, though?"

Famine smirked at the answer, tossing Lysander the potion. Putting a hand on his cheek and looking at Lenore, he thought to himself, before...

yqD2OKs.png

“Yeah, nah, Death was just playing it cool, in reality we were just ordered to be your enemies." Famine pauses for a little while. "Next question! Whaaaaat's the mission about? It's gotta be a pretty important one, hmm?" His smirk returns.

She sighed, annoyed that he wasn't getting it...

7MKQH9I.png

"It's not... I would have been ok, right? At least the first time. I'm not trying to put myself in danger, but I do need to be a part of the team. I know I got him angry but I was just trying to get him to make a mistake. Which he did. He hurt you and he's going to pay for that but...

If you're worrying about me, you're going to get yourself killed. You can't... I'm not worthy of your worry, ok? You're a prince! I'm your subject. I should be the one risking my life for you, not the other way around.

It's why I did what I did with Death. W-when he caught me and had me like... I... I knew that if I didn't do something, someone else would and... And you're so hot headed like I can be that I knew... And h-he had me so tight I couldn't... All I could do is what I did a-and then i-it just happened so fast and the poison and the s-sword a-and and... And...." 

She collapsed, shaking, terrified, memories fresh with reminders of the pain, of the helplessness flooding her brain. Tears began to pour down her cheeks as she tried to stutter her way through her point, but nothing that made sense came out. Wrapping her arms around her legs, she knew she must look pathetic, weak, useless, but it didn't matter. She couldn't stop, the memories of the pain still so fresh.

dzibpAZ.png

The butler was surprised to have two visitors tonight. Lysander was kind of understandable at least, but Simeon? He very much so wanted to shoo him away like he did for most others who didn't have business with him. However, the man has only ever been nice to Baldur, even when he didn't deserve it nor asked for it. With a deep breath, he exhaled and gestured the blacksmith into the tent inviting him in. Once the tent inside there was a long period of silence,

jBxXfAt.png

"Well... um... You didn't exactly see the fight but I was worse than useless. Not only did I not do my job but I was used as a bargaining chip for the enemy. If it were not for my ineptitude, Mim would've be fine, Arthur wouldn't have had to shield an arrow, and Shin... he wouldn't have had felt that doing what he did was his only option. I am needle that snaps when going through fabric, cheap, worthless, and better off in the garbage. What good is a healer who can't heal? What good is a defender that can't protect? What good do I even bring?"