ULTRAAAA! ULTRAAAA! ULTRAAA!...Sun and Moon

So the strategy guide for the games has been listed on several retailer sites in Japan.  Why's this important?  Because the description gives away that several things from the last games are coming back, including Festival Plaza, Poke Pelago,

...And the Battle Tree.

Really, Gamefreak.  Even when you give us a game that's just an "expanded" version of the last one, you STILL can't give us a postgame facility other than a Battle Maison reskin.

To be fair, it could be an "expanded" Battle Tree with different modes more akin to a battle frontier, but somehow I doubt that.

Well @Eagleby18, do we even know what the Big Wave Beach is? That could also be a post game area that is completely on a sand bar or not on the Alolan isles proper (like the Battle Resort in ORAS). The only things -I- know about the BWB are that it's a new location and Mantine is docked there.

The "surfer" seems like a new trainer class in this game, as well.

I think the expectation that the post game facilities are going to be grandiose each generation is a sure way to set yourself up for disappointment. The competitive scene has taken the center stage for elite battling as it's been made much easier each game release to get into. Things like the Maison/Tree make it easy to get the items you need to battle competitively without taking up too much map space and dev time.

I feel like that leaves certain "Frontier" formats, such as the Factory, rather niche now that the items are easier to obtain. I'm with you though, I'd love to see an area that gives

1. Inverse Battles

2. Rotation Battles

3. Doubles

4. Battle Royals

5. Factory

some love. All the same. I also just want some move tutors.

• 2 weeks later...

What. A hype. Trailer.

Theme: Light vs. Dark

The emphasis on "Light" here is interesting. In the maiden voyage through Alola, we saw Solgaleo and Lunala juxtapose Light and Dark through the classic celestial body imagery that corresponded to the title of the game you played.

Here, Solgaleo and Lunala BOTH represent light - literally as those celestial bodies. Both potential evolutions for Nebby are opposed to Necrozma. The Japanese seems to indicate that Necrozma absorbs light - and that this spacesuit crew wants to take away the light of Alola.

Dynamic Kahunas:

We see Hala reprise his role as Koko's assistant against the Ultra Beasts - but we also see Nanu find himself face to face with Guzzlord in an cutscene not previously seen. Those of you that played through the UB missions know that Nanu once was on the UB task force and has history with Guzzlord - so this cutscene - even if it happens during Lusamine's forcing Nebby to open the Ultra Wormholes - appears to be an Easter egg to the first game. It also would prepare the player for the post game.

Speculation: The New UBs land on Akala Island.

Continuing the theme of more involved Kahunas would be to involve the lone remaining one (at that point in the story!) in Olivia. The location Assembly and the disco ball thing land in is sunny and green, which seems more lush than Poni would be. There also isn't a Kahuna on Poni when the Ultra Wormholes are opened, leaving Tapu Fini to either join Nanu and Bulu or without aid in that case. Here, Olivia and Tapu Lele could be the bookend to that cutscene.

Drawn: There is FINALLY an evil team in Alola. One that appears to genuinely WANT to cause destruction unlike Aether and Skull. One that SPECIFICALLY wants the light to disappear. They dress in spacesuits. Their skin is very pale. They will survive an earth's demise.

Not everyone else. And Necrozma makes the perfect tool to shut the earth down.

Flip the Script: Guzma seems to be carrying Lusamine away in the trailer, perhaps indicating that Skull has a different or competing benefactor this time around.

Gladion: "If Mom dies as well"

Gladion particularly has a disconnect from Lusamine in Sun and Moon. Here, he refers to her as Mom. Also. DEATH?

Speculation: Skull betrays Aether and kidnaps Lusamine. Skull is being footed by Team Spacesuit.

The League's champion room seems to be housing Dusk Mane Necrozma.

Gameplay: Travelling through Ultra Space

Perhaps the legendaries allow us to drive stick in pursuit of Team Spacesuit. They seen to be opposite of Nebby, who gets captured by Necrozma. MAYBE it's a post game feature that allows us visit "mirage spots" where non Alolan legendaries are located.

New: Kukui and Alola's darkness

I was actually expecting Assembly to be Rock/Ghost. 

Adhesive resembles the Lake Trio, and evolving is not really a UB theme. 

So "Mind Blown" is a stronger "Flare Blitz" with probably more recoil. 

Seems quite good so far. It only needs to buff Necrozma somehow, since it was outclassed by all legendaries and ET's last game.

Buzzwole flexes so hard it can make volcanoes erupt

I like how they are actually battling you with an Ultra Beast. In Sun and Moon, I disliked the fact that even though Lusamine caught Nihilego, she didn't use it to battle

I really hope the new pokémon to be added aren't just UB's. A fifth Fire/Fairy Tapu or at least more (useful) Alolan forms could be really nice. Considering how moderate Gamefreak and Nintendo are being with the info on the trailers, these games really give the impression to have a lot more to show.

Edited by Gh0stStark

Well, this is great! I disliked a lot how it seemed the story was cut off after we arrive in the Ultra Space, as if there is this whole thing planed out, like when you go to the future in Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky, yet in SM everything ended right there after finding and beating Lusamine. The existence of the recon squad, Ultra Metropolis and exploration of beyond the wormhole may expand upon the Ultra Space

So the ultra spaces so far are:

nihelgo - the glowy cave from SM vanilla.

xurxitree - some greyish blue cord-like place. Take note that the unused walking animation for xurxitree is used here. Hmmm.

Buzzwole - an exotic tropical volcano filled place. Like alola on steroids? lol.

Kartana - perhaps the japanese esque area from the earlier trailer?

I wonder how many we;ll get total?

I'm still weirded out burst isn't fairy. Fire/fairy seemed like the obvious typing for it. But NAW we get a 3rd fire/ghost instead. 

• Global Mods

New USUM info from Corocoro:

-Dusk Mane Necrozma and Dawn Wings Necrozma have signature z-moves: Sunsteel Smasher and Moongeist Blaster. Dusk Mane Necrozma also has a new move called Photon Geyser. Both of them have the ability Prism Armor.

-The more you use Rotom Dex, the more you can do with it. "Rotom Power" can help you get items and powers, and "Z Rotom Power" allows you to use a z move more than once in a battle.

The "Rotom Power" is definitely reminiscent of O Powers from Gen 6. The whole "more than one z move per battle" mechanic will probably be limited to single player much like affection.

I actually like this addition. It adds more functionality to the Rotom Dex other than just serving as a map 

Sun version had the best difficulty of any main series Pokemon game I've ever played (and I played at least one of every generation).

And in the sequel you can apparently just spam Z moves and oneshot everything.

All because they REALLY wanted to make Z moves seem better than Mega Evolutions.

EDIT: now that I think some more about it, Sun and Moon had the best difficulty because I didn't use the exp share.  So I guess I could just do the same with this, but like, that doesn't make me feel much better about it.  How many more things in future games will I have to ignore in order to make the game playable?