ULTRAAAA! ULTRAAAA! ULTRAAA!...Sun and Moon

1 hour ago, SuperNova said:

So does any of you think that E3 will only show pokken or they will also give us ultra sumo information?

I'd expect some USUM information (though not much) in corocoro next week, followed by an actual trailer sometime next week. Nintendo's E3 is supposedly focused on 2017 Switch titles, so I doubt there will be much 3ds information in the direct next week.

On 06/06/2017 at 4:32 PM, ProjectIceman said:

Ame is gonna have a difficult time redoing some of the sprites now lol. Not to mention there may be even more Z-moves coming up now and I heard gen 2 pokemon were going to be better now?

don't worry about it @Marcello was so smart that he created a flexible Z-moves system: it can be modified easily in case new z-moves were made, as for the sprites wellwe can try and help with them

Be warned: the following post is complete speculation and a break down of even the smallest hints in the new USUM mini trailer. This is solely observation and could be considered ramblings of the insane.

So, I'm really excited about USUM. I enjoyed the Alola region, and it was one of the catalysts that got me majorly into Pokemon again. After having watched the trailer often enough, I believe that the games are sequels due to a number of reasons.

Reason 1: The Player

The player has undergone a fierce style change from SM to USUM. The shots we get of the protagonists in the mini-trailer show both wearing tropical style clothing, while in the original, the protagonists wore clothing that just didn't seem to fit the area, which makes sense given that the player had just relocated with their mother from Kanto. We also notice major changes with the character's appearance-- the male character sports shorter hair, while the female character has longer hair with braids. I honestly doubt these changes were made to showcase the new player customization options in USUM. Could these be different characters all together-- perhaps a sibling that has come to live in Alola as well? I think there are enough style changes present to merit the idea that these could be new protagonists, rather than the same characters that we've already played as. (Comparison images in spoiler)

pok-mon-sun-and-moon.jpgsBuzPkM.jpg8cZlMtN.jpg

Reason 2: The Player's Room

By now, I'm sure everyone noticed that there was a Switch in the female player's room when the camera panned out during the trailer for USUM. This differs from SM, where a Wii U is stationed by the player's TV. I believe this indicates that some time has passed in the game as opposed to it being the usual easter egg from Game Freak as to which console was popular/new at the time of release. (Comparison images in spoiler)

20160603_023124_thumb.png?w=533&h=322A&pid=15.1

Reason 3: The Player's House

Ok, first, I swear that not all of my evidence revolves around the player. Second, if you look at the player's house in USUM, you can see changes to the outside. The most prominent, to me, are the fresh paint scheme on the house, fence, and mailbox; the Alolan Raichu surfboard leaning against the garage; and the truck in the garage. All of these seem to indicate that the player's family has been living in this house for a little while and have both acquired things and made changes, as opposed to the beginning of SM, when the player has first moved in. (Comparison images in spoiler)

vXY2Kq5.jpg7q87NNt.jpg

Reason 4: Route 1

In our USUM mini trailer, we see a glimpse of Route 1, which is right next to the player's house, and wow what a difference. The place is colorful to the max. In SM, you can see how the flowers are just starting to bloom on Route 1, but they aren't quite there yet. In USUM, it's an explosion of color and flowers. Even our trainer on Route 1 has changed, from a young boy with a Rockruff to what appears to be a slightly older (read: teenager) person with an Alolan Meowth. (Comparison images in spoiler)

TSDPj0K.jpgdEyrzTg.jpg

Reason 5The Pikachu Trailer

Remember how in SM, there were construction trailers near the trial sites? Well, in the USUM trailer, we see one of these trailers, and it appears to have been converted into a Pikachu paradise type of place. This brings me back to the basis for most of my arguments here-- time would need to have passed for this to have happened. (Comparison images in spoiler)

I5B9O0O.jpgzk4NqYR.jpg2SvDWO4.jpg

Reason 6: Togedemaru, Mimikyu, and (mid-day)Lycanroc

These Pokemon each get their own short spotlight within the USUM mini trailer, and it's not terribly surprising-- all three of these Pokemon have received a popularity push from TPCi in terms of the TCG game (Togedemaru has received ~3 promo cards, pushing the blister packs, Mimikyu is apart of the pin collection, and mid-day Lycanroc has its own GX box). It would make sense for Game Freak to spotlight these guys in the upcoming games, and what better way to do that then make them (or in Mimikyu's case, continue to be) Totems? After the events of Sun and Moon, it's safe to say that Acerola at least would need replacing as a trial captain, not to mention Hala and Olivia would need to be replaced as Kahunas. Looking at each Pokemon's cameo, it seems as though each Pokemon is battle ready, and you can even see a bit about where each Pokemon is battling.

Togedemaru seems to be battling in a dark building. We know that Sophocles has a Togedemaru, and his trial took place in the Hokulani Observatory. Could Togedemaru replace Vikavolt? 

Mimikyu was an original Totem, so it wouldn't be that surprising that it continues to be, given the amount of popularity it has. However, the background indicates that the Mimikyu we're seeing is in a forest, as opposed to the Abandoned Supermarket that its original trial took place in.

Lycanroc was seen as Olivia's ace in SM. Should these games indeed be sequels, is it possible that she's stepped down from the Elite Four and as a Kahuna? Lycanroc could certainly make a fearsome Totem to have to conquer. 

Now, there is another way to look at this. If not Totems, these Pokemon could possibly receive an exclusive Z move. I personally find this highly unlikely, as Mimikyu has a unique ability and mid-day Lycanroc has a unique move. Plus, out of the Pokemon that we know have exclusive Z moves, these three just don't have that kind of star power to warrant the special treatment, regardless of an increased popularity from the rest of the Gen VII roster. (Images in spoiler)

1r6Bc9r.jpghSuBBWe.jpgExA7jpD.jpg

Reason 7Translation

When SM came out, we were told that Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio shared some secret with Rockruff, which many thought was a split evolution line after the reveal of Lycanroc. However, it turned out that this was just a mistranslation. During the direct, Junichi Masuda's translator said that USUM offer an alternate story within the world of Sun and Moon. It could be (and anyone that speaks/understands Japanese can correct me) that the word alternative is incorrect within the translation, and that it's merely another story within the world of Sun and Moon, which makes a sequel a perfectly logical thing to have.

Reason 8Two Versions

Last reason. In the past, whenever Game Freak has wanted to provide an alternate storyline, or enhance it, they would give a single third version that handled the additional material brought in to supplement the original story. But when they wanted to give a new story within the same world, we received B2W2, which gave us a brand new story in the same world, which is what USUM is claiming to do. 

Is it plausible? I think so. Is it likely? Probably not. However, I will give kudos to TPCi, Game Freak, and Nintendo for keeping everything so closely underwraps; I think it's safe to say that no one saw this coming. Anyway, I can't wait to hear what everyone thinks about this!

• Upvote 1

• Global Mods

@Rosesong most of it makes a lot of sense and I really like your theory, but regarding Olivia possibly stepping down as kahuna and Elite Four: I assume you mean her becoming a trial captain based on the possibility of Totem Lycanroc? Olivia's Lycanroc is Midnight while that one was Midday (though that doesn't mean she couldn't have trained another Lycanroc, since most trial captains have a totem that's not on their battle team). Also, if you battle Mallow in Moon, she mentions trial captains have to move on from their positions when they turn 20. I don't remember if Olivia ever stated her age (I looked up her quotes section on Bulbapedia and found nothing, but I could've sworn she said she was 28 somewhere) but she looks to be in her 20s to me. 

Hey has anyone seen the japanese logos? The letter that was a mega symblol in xy , the red bleu orbs in oras, the two z-crystals in sumo, now are the symbols ultra solgaleo/lunala have (Necrozma symblos???). Also there is a better view at the sumo symblos with a bit black.

Here is a picture of the jap logos:Screenshot_2017-06-08-00-35-35-171.thumb.jpeg.4bb368fb5efd2adb317c9e48f64e371e.jpeg

Edited by SuperNova

7 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Also, if you battle Mallow in Moon, she mentions trial captains have to move on from their positions when they turn 20. I don't remember if Olivia ever stated her age (I looked up her quotes section on Bulbapedia and found nothing, but I could've sworn she said she was 28 somewhere) but she looks to be in her 20s to me. 

I wasn't aware of that; guess I need to go back and catch that tidbit in SM.

It could also lend credence to the idea that maybe a new style of gym could be developed, one where Totem Pokémon play a larger role in the running of the gym/a challenge to beat before you get to face the gym leader. 

I would prefer that gyms aren't added, as that would cause Alola to lose some of its uniqueness and appeal as being a fresh take on Pokémon. But at the same time, gyms would be a reasonable step to take, given that we just established a League in SM

I Brennan thinking,since they said alternative story,where this fit into certain timeline(even tho it's fan theory timeline)

There're some possibilities I can think of;

1.it'all replace original SM story,like Emerald,Platinum,Crystal.

2.an old timeline before XY,I mean timeline that Great Pokémon war didn't happened and no Mega stone,it's possible since Ultra Beast is a thing and it has ability to travel between multiverses,and that girl(I can't remember her name,but she was a Frontier Brain)that's with Looker that came from the other world too.so that is possible.

3.Another timeline with Mega stone.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'll be getting UltraMoon for my love of Lunala. My guess is that they will expand the story on the Ultra Beasts, and that being said, we can predict Lusamine coming back as a lead informant regarding the Ultra Beasts. Pokemon Stars, if it's true that it was to have new pokemon, I'm sure we'll see them in UltraMoon and Sun, or they'll be hidden in the data. Love to see Alola expand, add new parts to the islands, have underwater caverns, outside legendaries govern some events and climates, battle more previous games rivals, gym leaders, elite fours, and champions, even previous team leaders like Giovanni, Cyrus, N, they'd be fun to fight with or against.

I don't care what they do, I just hope for another good game

• Global Mods
18 minutes ago, StarryDreamerKitten said:

March of next year sinnoh remakes come out

Do you have any source for this? I moved your thread to the Wasteland thinking it was intended as a joke post, but it seems like you really did see/hear somewhere about there being Sinnoh remakes. I haven't found anything about it through Serebii, and the only link I can find is on a wiki called Fantendo, which contradicts itself by saying they're coming out in March 2018 in one section of the page and on another section saying they come out in October 2017. It also lists the predecessors as Sun and Moon, which isn't true as Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are the next games to come out, so those would be its predecessors. The fact that the wiki is both the only source I can find and none of the big Pokemon fan sites have mentioned it along the wiki being called "Fantendo" makes me think this is a fan's idea of what the Sinnoh remakes should be like, and not actual upcoming games.

15 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Do you have any source for this? I moved your thread to the Wasteland thinking it was intended as a joke post, but it seems like you really did see/hear somewhere about there being Sinnoh remakes. I haven't found anything about it through Serebii, and the only link I can find is on a wiki called Fantendo, which contradicts itself by saying they're coming out in March 2018 in one section of the page and on another section saying they come out in October 2017. It also lists the predecessors as Sun and Moon, which isn't true as Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are the next games to come out, so those would be its predecessors. The fact that the wiki is both the only source I can find and none of the big Pokemon fan sites have mentioned it along the wiki being called "Fantendo" makes me think this is a fan's idea of what the Sinnoh remakes should be like, and not actual upcoming games.

I might have mixed them up Im sorry totoally mixed that up sorry I had thought it was legit cause it was a link from pokemon.com from when I initially sseen it but Ice Cream Sand Witch is correct they are fan games

Edited by StarryDreamerKitten
I messed up sorry

personally?  since i'm prolly never gonna play any canon pokemon game after NDS (unless Citra manages to get developed)  i don't care too much about the games themselves.

Also since i don't really play competitive anymore (at least not high tiers.  i'd probably play PU) i don't care about the impact the games will have on the metagame either.

So i will stay on the one certainly positive thing that i see in all this:  More possibly broken potential pokemon and moves to be put on major antagonists' rosters in reborn and other fangames we play and love :)  And which ofc will be unavailable to us till near the end

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2017 at 1:53 PM, DemICE said:

personally?  since i'm prolly never gonna play any canon pokemon game after NDS (unless Citra manages to get developed)  i don't care too much about the games themselves.

Also since i don't really play competitive anymore (at least not high tiers.  i'd probably play PU) i don't care about the impact the games will have on the metagame either.

So i will stay on the one certainly positive thing that i see in all this:  More possibly broken potential pokemon and moves to be put on major antagonists' rosters in reborn and other fangames we play and love :)  And which ofc will be unavailable to us till near the end

So basically, you're telling everyone you're a cheapo who only wants to emulate games for free. Nice. 

On the topic at hand though, I do hope Ultra Sun and Moon prove to be at least mildly interesting. Sun and Moon were all in all a disappointing installment to the series imo, though there certainly were some welcome improvements as well (ride pager effectively removes the need for hm slaves). Anyone saying they have info on Sinnoh remakes is a filthy liar, however. No one can have such information. I'm really interested to find out what that July 19th mystery game they have scheduled for a reveal is, though.

Edited by EternalDarkness

My unpopular opinions: sinnoh was my least favorite gen, so I hope it never gets a remake. USM also looks to be just more of the same, with maybe some 15% difference from SM. I was not a fan of B2W2 for much the same reason.

I was hoping it would be a pokken sequel, instead of a lazy port with a few extra characters. And seriously, why croagunk instead of toxicroak?

All in all, pretty disappointed. The only hope left is that the switch game offers a bunch of cool new pokemon in yet another all new region.

9 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

My unpopular opinions: sinnoh was my least favorite gen, so I hope it never gets a remake. USM also looks to be just more of the same, with maybe some 15% difference from SM. I was not a fan of B2W2 for much the same reason.

I was hoping it would be a pokken sequel, instead of a lazy port with a few extra characters. And seriously, why croagunk instead of toxicroak?

All in all, pretty disappointed. The only hope left is that the switch game offers a bunch of cool new pokemon in yet another all new region.

Hoping Sinnoh never gets a remake simply because it's your least favorite gen is kinda petty. It's almost a guarantee that it's going to happen, what with all the hints in SUMO and the obvious fan response to something like that. Objectively, it's the only logical step for them after Ultra Sun and Moon. Too early for gen 8.

No one said there will be a Switch Pokemon game. Odds are there will not be, as Switch is not a handheld, strictly speaking. Wii and Switch peasants should be limited to crappy sidegames like Pokken, imo. I doubt Nintendo will break its tradition anytime soon.

• Veterans
15 minutes ago, EternalDarkness said:

Hoping Sinnoh never gets a remake simply because it's your least favorite gen is kinda petty. It's almost a guarantee that it's going to happen, what with all the hints in SUMO and the obvious fan response to something like that. Objectively, it's the only logical step for them after Ultra Sun and Moon. Too early for gen 8.

No one said there will be a Switch Pokemon game. Odds are there will not be, as Switch is not a handheld, strictly speaking. Wii and Switch peasants should be limited to crappy sidegames like Pokken, imo. I doubt Nintendo will break its tradition anytime soon.

?_?

Bro.

Did you not watch E3 LOL. Switch Mainline Pokemon Game was confirmed during Ninty's E3 direct. This is why we do our research before chatting that shit tho.

4 minutes ago, Azeria said:

?_?

Bro.

Did you not watch E3 LOL. Switch Mainline Pokemon Game was confirmed during Ninty's E3 direct. This is why we do our research before chatting that shit tho.

Yeah, forgive me for not caring at all about E3. Hm, interesting. So Switch is actually getting a mainline game in the future (unspecified)? That's fucking embarrassing. What were they thinking? To my knowledge, Switch sales did pretty well, so it's not like they were desperate for people to buy their new product. Anyway, I hope they're not thinking of dropping the 3DS line in favor of Switch. That's actually gonna end up hurting them pretty badly.

2 hours ago, EternalDarkness said:

I hope they're not thinking of dropping the 3DS line in favor of Switch. That's actually gonna end up hurting them pretty badly.

My thoughts exactly, but it definitely feels that way.

I can't think of much in the way of new 3ds games recently.

They're probably banking on pokemon to sell more switches because the switch is technically a console and it's been forever since pokemon has been on one in a way that matters, excluding pokken.

1 minute ago, Maelstrom said:

My thoughts exactly, but it definitely feels that way.

I can't think of much in the way of new 3ds games recently.

They're probably banking on pokemon to sell more switches because the switch is technically a console and it's been forever since pokemon has been on one in a way that matters, excluding pokken.

Honestly, the 3DS sales are already going to be cannibalized now that a mainline game is coming to the Switch. It is such a bad decision on their part, I'm actually really surprised. And truly, this decision only strengthens suspicions that they really are going to be moving away from the 3DS line in favor of a hybrid like Switch. I hope it doesn't end up happening, but it sure seems like that's where we're headed. What a shame.

Well, at this point, the 3DS is a bit of an 'old system'. It's already sold way more units than a wiiu and the people most likely to get one either have one or opted for a 2DS at this point. 3DS unit sales are just a thing of the past as far as Nintendo and gamers are concerned.

Game Freak (or was it nintendo?) already said they'd never make a canon console game. It was started and intended for handheld play, according to them. I feel like the reason they went back on this decision is because they haven't/ they didn't have a choice. The signs point to idea is that the console/mobile hybrid is how they're gonna do things from now on. There won't be another handheld only system, if nintendo has its way.

Certainly the Vita, a system that was actually pretty good ended up dragging the company down, in countries that weren't japan at least. I feel like Nintendo is trying to avoid making a decent console or making a better handheld that would rival their terrible consoles anyways.

So, E3 and corocoro have passed and quite some time as well and no ultra sumo info do you guys think that nintendo will follow the usual stategy show a small trailer and after some months a trailer showing off the game ( they are already doing this but it does'nt matter)? There was word for info on 19 July but serebii deconfirmed those rumours promising new info. Sooo, when do you think the next info will come?

20 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

So, E3 and corocoro have passed and quite some time as well and no ultra sumo info do you guys think that nintendo will follow the usual stategy show a small trailer and after some months a trailer showing off the game ( they are already doing this but it does'nt matter)? There was word for info on 19 July but serebii deconfirmed those rumours promising new info. Sooo, when do you think the next info will come?

I doubt they'll give any more info on Ultra Sun and Moon. Considering the games will be pretty much identical to SUMO in terms of gameplay and characters, it would be silly of them to give out the only thing they do have that is different; the story. The July 19th announcement turned out to be something quite different. What's left now is to just wait until November for the release.

On 7/16/2017 at 1:39 AM, EternalDarkness said:
On 7/6/2017 at 1:53 PM, DemICE said:

So basically, you're telling everyone you're a cheapo who only wants to emulate games for free. Nice. 

Are you offensive 24/7, or only when you come in here? Oh, forgot, you have Fern on your avatar... xD

Apart from that, I also haven't played a single official Pokemon Game since playing Pokemon Silver. Before that, it was Red. But I started finding them just too easy. Some emulators and ROM hacks managed to add this difficulty that was missing, making it interesting again. 

So, the sincere question I raise is, why just storm through a game and feel like my brain cells die every second by the easiness of the task which promotes only brute forcing and zero strategy developing, instead f just playing a ROM Hack/fangame that does offer all these things?

Finally, yes, I am getting prepared to get wreked by a Breakneck Blitz from El's Arceus when we fight the Elite 4 of Reborn... I'm not eager about that...