[WIP] Pokemon Reborn Community In-Game Viability Rangings (E17 Update)

Filthy Casual

Crawdaunt is C+/B- (same would go for Clawitzer)
As mentioned before it has few chances to shine. Its role is limited to revenge killing, and that's not a reliable strategy in Reborn. It is objectively inferior to Azumarill in Aqua Jet revenge killing, and much more frail to the more traditional revenge killers. Remember that Reborn takes traits from competitive, but the difference is quite obvious.

I notice bias in your rankings and would suggest a compare-contrast approach in regards to pokemon with similar characteristics. 

That said, my experience with it was... 

Crawdaunt - C

+Available before Kiki

+120 Atk

+Adaptability 

+Ready by 31lvl

~Viable Set: Knock Off/Night Slash , Razor Shell/Crabhammer, Swords Dance, Aqua Jet / Meaningless Filler

-Subpar defenses in 63/85/55 meaning most neutral hits will damage it badly

-Spe 55 means it will get hit a lot

-Needs to breed for Aqua Jet

-A fully invested Adaptability Aqua Jet (80BP) cannot always save the day

Swampert - A

+Starter , event after Seel Ciel

+Good bulk (100/90/90)

+Great typing increases tanking potential

+Great movepool which supports both physical, special and support moves

+Access to useful tutor moves

-Forced to run Torrent (at least after Julia)

-Slow (60)

-Somewhat late access to reliable STAB moves

Arbok - D

+Early Access

+Intimidate

+Access to Coil and Crunch relatively early

-Lacking movepool

-No defense (60/69/79) means even with Intimidate it gets hit hard

-Mediocre Atk (95) with late STAB means it won't stay long in your team

-No distinct role in a team

Noivern - B

+Very early access 

+Powerful Movepool (Boomburst, Draco Meteor, Hurricane)

+Incredibly fast (Spe 123)

+Good abilities in Infiltrator (assault) and Frisk (scouting)

-SpA 97 limits its sweeping potential and usually forces it to run Specs (probably also Modest)

-Mediocre bulk (85/80/80)

-Hard to raise (better to wait)

I would like to make a correction. In Magcargo I wrote "abilities useless outside of battle". I actually messed up, as I wanted to say "Abilities only useful outside of battle".

edit: fixed swampert (thanks Alistair)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@NickCrash almost everything is well said imo, I would just like to point out that Clawitzer is actually pretty good in Reborn. Its 120 base Special Attack backs an array of powerful coverage moves: Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Sludge Wave, not to mention things we don't have yet like Ice Beam and Shadow Ball... Additionally, its ability Mega Launcher gives a considerable boost to several of the aforementioned coverage moves. Anything that doesn't resist a STAB, Mega Launcher, item-boosted Water Pulse is in for a lot of pain, especially if it's raining.

On the other hand it's slow, and its defenses are just average. It can definitely be a very destructive pokémon if used well and backed up by the right teammates.

Oh and Mudkip is no longer available in the Wasteland, this event has been Squirtle's for a while now ;)

Teaching Lilligant Nature Power can do wonders to fix gaps in coverage. Nature Power is the savior for tons of Grass mons that don't learn anything. Though to be honest, if you can get enough Quiver Dance boosts she can end basically anything not outright immune to Grass, especially if the opponent prefers Sp. Attack. And since she learns Sleep Powder setting up is pretty easy ;) 

I have a couple suggestions though:

Volcarona - A Rank

Spoiler

+Monstrous 135 Sp. Attack and high Speed

+High S. Def. and solid HP do wonders

+Has lots of excellent moves in its pool - Quiver Dance, Heat Wave, Fiery Dance, Bug Buzz and Hurricane come to mind

+Sweeping is disgustingly easy with Quiver Dance. It's amazing how type compatibility ceases to matter

-Mystery egg exclusive

-Doesn't evolve until 59 (but that's right before Luna's cap, and it can destroy her), and as Larvesta performance is very limited

-Low defense, and has a hideous 4x Rock weakness

-Said Rock weakness creates a debilitating Stealth Rock weakness

-Elite 4 Bennett will probably use this to sweep the f*** out of the unprepared

Cherrim - C Rank (Could go higher or lower depending on preference though. Well maybe not higher.)

Spoiler

+Cherubi can be found immediately upon starting

+Flower Gift gives an Attack and S. Def. boost to itself during Sun, as well as to partners in double battles (during Sun)

+Evolves and learns Petal Dance at 25, which is very, very strong at such an early stage 

-Generally low stats

-Shallow movepool, even among Grass mons (but it does get Leech Seed, so there's that)

-Requires Sun to perform at its best

Wait Tyrantrum is only available post-ciel? Did it get delayed in episode 16? You could get from the helix cult before entering Agathe in e15. Even the monotype availabilty guide, says it is available before Agathe.

Also Drapion gets a very cool move naturally: toxic spikes.

It's so awesome to see everyone so involved! I haven't updated the list yet, but I'll be starting on that soon! To answer one question, the reason I put Swampert at A instead of S is because of his move pool. While I also agree that he's the best water starter (at least in terms of building a team around that particular Pokemon), his biggest weakness involves his level up move pool. While it's a physical attacker, during the first half of the game, it mainly learns special moves, slightly nerfing it.

34 minutes ago, FairFamily said:

Wait Tyrantrum is only available post-ciel? Did it get delayed in episode 16? You could get from the helix cult before entering Agathe in e15. Even the monotype availabilty guide, says it is available before Agathe.

I got mine before going to Agate.  Probable just an oversight.

2 hours ago, Hooligan said:

@Paperblade Did you test using Dragon Dance for the Crawdaunt and Jolly Nature with 31 IV and 252 EV in Speed? It can be amazingly strong, since you use it properly.

The only way it can get Dragon Dance afaik is from breeding with Horsea line (or Dratini's but yeah), which you can't do til you get back to Reborn with Fly, right? I'm basing that info off bulbapedia so correct me if it's wrong. I almost never breed so if there's a daycare in the Agate Circus-Calcenon area I don't know about it.

My Crawdaunt is Jolly with 252 speed EVs, although it has 0IVs which would've helped a lot

Edited by Paperblade

Guys there is no need to pre-apologise. Arguments can get heated up and that one didn't even get hot. 

However, since you all feel so eager, I'll drop some controversial ratings to get you going :D

Manectric - B

+Available after Julia

+Can go mixed (event move: Ice Fang)

+Fast for an early pokemon (Spe 105)

+Exploits many field effects

+Lightningrod is useful in doubles

-Has to wait to get good coverage moves

-Becomes mediocre between Serra and Charlotte

-Quite frail (70/60/60)

Eelektross - C

+Earliest access

+Good bulk (85/80/80)

+Good offense (115/105) allows to go mixed

+Levitate, Levitate, Levitate

-Has to go mixed due to limited movepool

-No moves till it evolves (39lvl)

-Wait till 59lvl for good physical STAB

-Lack of "punch tutors" (Fire/Ice/Thunder/Drain) drops it from B to C

Golem - A

+Available after Corey

+Great bulk (80/130/65)

+Solid in the early game, and it becomes progressively better

+Early access to Earthquake, Smack Down and Heavy Slam, medium access to Stone Edge (55lvl)

+Very good against Shelly, Aya, Charlotte, Ciel and Bennet

+Sturdy

-Very Slow (45)

-X4 weakness to Grass and Water

-Will suffer to Amaria 

Just my two cents, but I'd say Typhlosion belongs to A rank.

+ Starter (available right from the beginning) or from 7th Street Pokemon black market

+ Fire-types in general are very good in Reborn as they perform well in most Gym battles

+ Learns Eruption via Heart Scale and has the stats to make good use of it

- Level-up moves are mostly Fire-type moves or next to useless physical moves like Rollout - in other words, not very versatile

- Lacks coverage options, as most TM moves Typhlosion could learn are also physical, although Nature and Hidden Power to an extent remedy this problem

@NickCrash

I mean, from what I understand you can't teach Typhlosion Solar Beam or Focus Blast yet, and in my opinion Extrasensory is situational at best. Too bad that Typhlosion can't learn Grass Knot, but if you get lucky you can get Hidden Power Ice, Water or Grass (or breed for the HP you want, if Reborn uses that mechanic - I have never bred any Pokemon so I don't know).

Despite these shortcomings, Tyhplosion does well throughout the game even with mostly Fire-type moves. Either I overestimate or you underestimate how good fast Fire-types are in this game. The Gym Leaders who use Fire-resistant types such as Rock, Dragon and Water haven't appeared yet, and the field effects that weaken Fire are few and far between. Quilava/Typhlosion definitely contributes in most, if not all, Gym Leader, Rival and Team Admin battles thus far.

While true that we have not battled any Fire resists so far, team Meteor's signature type is Rock. I have not used Typhlosion yet, but I reckon it has a hard time against those, especially without support from other pokemon. I might be underestimating it, but lack of moves means it has to switch around a lot.

As I said before, I do a compare-contrast approach. Among fast Fire types would it be fair to place Typhlosion in the same rank as Infernape, Arcanine, or Darmanitan? 

I view it as closer to Rapidash which is B-rank in my book.

Edit:

Jynx - B

https://imgur.com/NF6qk5M

+Early access

+Strong dual STAB

+Fast (Spe 95)

+Immunity to Water (if Dry Skin)

+Might come with Nasty Plot

-Useless until it evolves

-Frail (65/35/95)

-Limited movepool 

I'd say this is insta-B rank

Not necessarily.  I can't find the old viability rankings thread, so my Sylveon magnum opus was probably lost forever to the site update, but in it I determined Sylveon would be A rank despite lack of coverage options.

Maybe I should recreate it for this new thread...

I cannot find it either.

Sylveon has a positional advantage. Right after you get Eevee, it's Radomus, Luna and Samson, so it definitely gets some use. 

Do you mean that spamming Moonblast / Hyper Voice won't be resisted, and thus good enough for A-rank?

Venusaur to B

+Good Defensive typing with lots of earlygame resistances (Julia, Florinia, Isn't harmed by Corey Field)

+Leech Seed/Sleep Powder + Growth allows for easy setup on enemies

+Strong Longevity with Sleep Seed Combo

+Arguably best Grass Starter

+Works very well under Sun, but Has trouble making room in its movepool for Sunny Day, and Ninetales comes late if not gotten through egg (May change if Torkoal keeps its availability).

-Only Physical Moves until lvl 32, which lowers its damage output

-Lack of coverage outside of a possible Hidden Power type slightly hurts its moveset (but leech seed + growth or sleep powder is more than enough)

-Strongest Poison Type move available is Venoshock, which simply isn't that powerful (SE Venoshock only does 15 more base to Neutral PetalDance)

-Can't do much of anything to most of its countertypes, so it struggles against type disadvantage

I would say that Typhlosion is C or B at best as it's arguably the least powerful Fire Starter. Unlike the others, Typhlosion has like zero coverage options, having to rely on a lucky hidden power roll for type coverage. Typhlosion only has so many Eruptions it can use in a fight 5-8, so it will drain its best move pretty quick if it isn't OHKOing. Not only that, but Choosing Typhlosion means you can't get many of the better starters such as Infernape, Blaziken, and Greninja. Coupled with the fact that there are a reasonable amount of good early-mid Fire Types in Reborn, and it is difficult to choose Typhlosion based on the Logistics.

@Norm

I can see the reasoning for B but in my opinion C is just too low. Infernape has to rely on Flare Blitz and Close Combat - both of which are good moves, of course - but they come with drawbacks of their own. Especially failing to K.O with Close Combat will get Infernape wiped out instead. Flare Blitz will wear Infernape out eventually and isn't exactly "spammable" if it doesn't OHKO. Houndoom, one of the non-starter Fire-types that don't rely on Flare Blitz and is available before Typhlosion if you didn't pick Cyndaquil, on the other hand has to rely on physical Dark moves until you defeat Luna, not to mention it's strongest Fire STAB is Flamethrower. 

Typhlosion doesn't have to reduce it's defensive stats or take recoil damage, as well as being able to hit both opposing mons in Doubles with what's pretty much the most powerful Fire-type move (as long as you don't take much damage). Eruption has low PP, but even just 5 uses get the job done. Eruption is kinda Typhlosion's niche and sets it apart from most other Fire-types. As for the worst Fire-type starter, I'd say Emboar is worse than Typhlosion. Emboar also utilizes Flare Blitz and in addition it often has to tank a hit before attacking due to it's low Speed stat.

Well the main reason I argued three is because Typhlosion's niche doesn't really justify the oppurtunity cost. Even without factoring that in, there are other Fire type options such as Arcanine, Emboar (event one), Pyroar, and even Camerupt that are readily available. Eruption's power only persists as long as you're at full, and (after running some calcs) Typhlosion still struggles to OHKO neutral matchups even with Eruption.

Once Typhlosion reaches 80% HP, it ties for base damage with Flare Blitz, which both Infernape and Emboar are running. Those boys have versatility in their movepool because Fire/Fighting Stab is pretty ballin'. Close Combat's drawback barely hampers Infernape because his bulk barely existed anyway and there isn't a drop in power at any time with CC, so it is way more spammable than Eruption. Flare Blitz has recoil but, again, doesn't suffer from a power drop if damage is taken. Emboar gets a nifty natural Flame Charge, so it can indeed work around its speed (and I believe that the event one gets Sucker Punch). Combined with its whopping 125 base Attack and you got a powerful mon. Infernape has the same good stab combination as Emboar and Flare Blitz/Close Combat Core, two powerful attacks over Typhlosion's one, which lets it muscle past many types whereas Typhlosion is up a creek without a paddle when facing anything at break past with Eruption. Charizard and Infernape are probably in the same tier at the moment, but Charizard has an easier Earlygame + The future prospects of Mega Evolution on its belt (Still would prolly put him in C). Delphox has hella versatility on its side and a good, steady level up movepool. Blaziken is Blaziken. All these guys have some kind of edge over Typhlosion, who only has one claim to fame that is rather overhyped.

Edited by Norm

Venusaur's lack of coverage options hurt it a lot. Grass is a pretty bad type offensively in general, and in Reborn there's a lot of stuff good vs. Grass as well. Venusaur requires support to do stuff (needs something to set sun so it can sweep with Growth+Chlorophyll), so it feels difficult for me to justify it in the same tier as Lilligant, who has the same offense problems but is pretty self sufficient in sweeping (Sleep Powder + Quiver Dance). fwiw I haven't used this line yet.

Also, while I haven't finished my playthrough with Infernape (waiting on ep 17 before heading over to Spinel Town), it's been really good so far. It gets Close Combat relatively early, which lets it nuke pretty much anything neutral or weak to Fighting. It's pretty quick and has decent attacking stats, and its movepool and stats support both physical and special builds. I'm having trouble seeing it fall off, Fire/Fighting STAB is just so good in this game

3 hours ago, Paperblade said:

Venusaur's lack of coverage options hurt it a lot. Grass is a pretty bad type offensively in general, and in Reborn there's a lot of stuff good vs. Grass as well. Venusaur requires support to do stuff (needs something to set sun so it can sweep with Growth+Chlorophyll), so it feels difficult for me to justify it in the same tier as Lilligant, who has the same offense problems but is pretty self sufficient in sweeping (Sleep Powder + Quiver Dance). fwiw I haven't used this line yet.

Also, while I haven't finished my playthrough with Infernape (waiting on ep 17 before heading over to Spinel Town), it's been really good so far. It gets Close Combat relatively early, which lets it nuke pretty much anything neutral or weak to Fighting. It's pretty quick and has decent attacking stats, and its movepool and stats support both physical and special builds. I'm having trouble seeing it fall off, Fire/Fighting STAB is just so good in this game

Maybe Liligant should rise to low A then? I don't think that Venusaur is C-Material because it has good utility, good stats, and availability on its side. At the same time, however, Liligant does indeed outclass it (and probably the rest of the grass starters) as Quiver Dance + Sleep Powder is ridiculously good (Although Venusaur can somewhat emulate it with growth+leech seed/Sleep Powder, Venusaur gets better later in the game when it gets access to Sunny Day and/ or Ninetales, which in combination with Heat Rock, can allow for a more offensively oriented set.) Liligant is sort of an RNG role with the bonkers weather mechanic ATM, although Budew has the same problem to a lesser extent. Plus I don't believe Sun Stones are easily obtainable, having to farm off of either Solrock or mining (which is relatively easy if not tedious work). But Liligant shares most of its problems with Roserade - happiness evolution so I think it should rise. Possibly past Roserade.

LOL, it seems my page has been quite popular while I've been away! I've been working on a lot of side projects, so I didn't have time to update this list. Fortunately, I'm starting now. Who knows, maybe you'll catch me in the middle of updating this list as you read this...?

Given how Kricketune is C tier, I see no reason not to nominate Garbodor for the same tier.  EDIT: Upon review and some feedback, I say C- for Garbodor instead.  That late evolution at 36 really really hurts.

Garbodor

Pros

- Incredible availibility, right from the start in fact, just search the Alleys.

- Acid Spray as Trubbish at level 12, an incredibly useful base 40 power move that lowers the enemy's Sp.def by two stages on hit.

- Mono poison typing means it completely blanks PULSE Tangrowth, and also lowers its significant bulk with Acid Spray.

- Access to Stockpile and Toxic, both regular and of the Spikes variety, means it can simply outlast certain things with healing items

- Helps significantly against both Florinia, Corey, and other various fights throughout the early to midgame, right up to about Kiki.

- Aftermath is a solid and useful ability, can be great for picking up a double KO in desperate situations.

Cons

Mono poison typing means you're useless against certain leaders like Shade and Radomus. 

- Lack of any relevant coverage sans TMs like Psychic, Thunderbolt. or even Focus Blast, of which we currently have access to none of.

- Even with Stockpile, lack of any consistent recovery aside from Swallow means it's all to easy to get worn down without a heavy supply of healing items, leading it to be a cash grabber.

- Other than Aftermath its other two abilities, Stench and Weak Armor, aren't great.  Stench CAN be useful with its flinch chance, but Weak Armor is actively a downside.

- Relatively late Evolution of 36, leaving you with Trubbish for longer than you want.

- Falls off HARD after the midgame, becoming virtually useless.  Poor thing.

Of note, all points I've made for Garbodor here can also apply to Swalot, so putting it in the same spot might be a good idea.  

EDIT: Small set of pros and cons for Swalot that are different.

Pros

- Encore access, something Garbodor lacks.

- Semi early evolution of 26(!), meaning you'll have it before  Shade.

- Destiny Bond via egg moves.  Usually fat enough to take a hit, no sash required!

- Most pros that Garbodor has, Swalot does as well.

Cons

- When Liquid Ooze is your best ability, you're pretty bad off here.

- Slow as molasses.  Base 55 isn't awful but it's a real drawback in a lot of cases.

- Every con that Garbodor has, Swalot has in some way.  

Edited by Hymdall
additional info

I decided that if I tried to recreate my epic Sylveon manifesto from the last thread, it wouldn't be as good and would just feel like a hollow imitation.  My waifu former second favorite Pokemon doesn't deserve a hollow imitation.

Not to mention that everyone else just isn't writing epic essays about their Pokemon anymore (I miss that), and are instead giving short lists of pros and cons.  So I'll do that.

...Okay, maybe not "short", but still.

Spoiler

56RO6bD.jpg

Pros:

+ Available as soon as you get Eevee, which is relatively early-ish

+ Pixilate is a REALLY powerful ability, and she has all the right moves to bring out its full potential, including of course Hyper Voice.

+ In Reborn only, Misty Terrain makes Pixilate even stronger.  And she learns it.

+ Is the sole carrier of my signature "Nuclear Trump Card" strategy, where before a boss you spend your first four Trump Cards on random wild Pokemon, and in the boss fight get a free KO on anyone of your choice (assuming they don't resist it or are a massive special tank)

+ No seriously, look at these numbers.

Spoiler

Trump Card while holding Pixie Plate

5PP: 40BP x 1.5(stab) x 1.3 (Pixilate) x 1.2 (Pixie Plate) = 93.6 Base Power in normal terrain, 108 in Misty Terrain

4PP: 50BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.2 = 117 BP, 135 in Misty Terrain

3PP: 60BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.2 = 140.4 BP, 162 in Misty Terrain

2PP: 80BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.2 = 187.2 BP, 216 in Misty Terrain

The Nuclear Trump Card: 200BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.2 = 468 BP, 540 in Misty Terrain

+ Did I mention she learns Echoed Voice?  Look at THESE numbers!

Spoiler

Echoed Voice while holding Pixie Plate

1st use: 40BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.2 = 93.6 BP, 108 in Misty Terrain

2nd use: 80BP  x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.2 = 187.2 BP, 216 in Misty Terrain

3rd use: 120BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.2 = 280.8 BP, 324 in Misty Terrain

4th use: 160BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.2 = 374.4 BP, 432 in Misty Terrain

5th use and up: 200BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.2 = 468 BP, 540 if you somehow still have Misty Terrain

+ And if you REALLY wanna get some ridiculous numbers, make her hold the metronome.

Spoiler

Echoed Voice while holding Metronome

1st use: 40 BP x 1.5 x 1.3 = 78 BP, 90 in Misty Terrain

2nd use: 80 BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.2 = 187.2 BP, 216 in Misty Terrain

3rd use: 120 BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.4 = 327.6 BP, 378 in Misty Terrain

4th use: 160 BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.6 = 499.2 BP, 576 in Misty Terrain

5th use: 200 BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.8 = 702 BP, 810 if you somehow still have Misty Terrain up

6th use and up: 200 BP x 1.5 x 1.3 x 2 = 780 BP, 900 if you somehow still have Misty Terrain up

+ Remember, all these ridiculous moves are coming from a respectable base 110 Special Attack stat.

+ She's really bulky to boot, especially on the special side.

+ Learns some potentially good niche moves in Light Screen, Swift (for bosses like Serra), and Wish if you breed for it

+ The nuclear Trump Card makes her a useful team member in every boss fight so far in the game.  It will kill at least one of the opponent's Pokemon.

+ Has more raw power than... well, probably anything in Reborn as of now.

+ My own Sylveon 1v1'd the Ditto Arceus

+ Echoed Voice sweep is so good I had to stop using it or none of my other Pokemon would get exp

+ Probably smells like cotton candy

+ Has a nice ass

+ If she isn't your favorite Eeveelution, you're objectively wrong

+ The name "Nuclear Trump Card" has become ironic in today's political climate.  For the record, I coined it back in 2015, when nobody had any idea things would turn out like they did.

Cons:

- Kinda slow

- Pretty much no coverage options, Hidden Power is her only chance at a non-fairy move.  But have you seen those numbers?  She doesn't need coverage options!

- Hyper Voice isn't available until you return to the city, but Moonblast is more than good enough to last you until then.  In certain scenarios, it's actually better.

- YOU MUST NOT LET EEVEE EVOLVE UNTIL LEVEL 45!  If she evolves before then, you lose your chance at getting the Nuclear Trump Card forever!

- Titania will probably break her perfect streak of being useful on every boss

- The gen 7 update will nerf Pixilate, but it'll still be absolutely ridiculous.  And don't quote me on it, but I'm predicting that the Misty Terrain boost will still remain the same.

Overall ranking?  High A for sure, possibly even S.  When I made my little manifesto in the first thread, I didn't consider her S material because of the whole level 45 thing and her lack of speed, plus the fact that there were only two Pokemon given the S rank at the time.  Now that the S tier is more... "inclusive", I dunno.  She might be a contender.