[WIP] Pokemon Reborn Community In-Game Viability Rangings (E17 Update)

Filthy Casual

41 minutes ago, The Swordsman said:

Just looked at the list and I can't believe Gallade shares the same rank as LUVDISC.  Even with the changes that is weird and harsh and while it's physical defenses are low, it does have good special defense. You also forgot to mention it's hidden ability, justified. Considering Arbok made D rank surely Gallade could qualify for D as well.

I, too, am sad that Gallade has been nerfed so much. The reason I believe he belongs at F (for E17) is because of when you are able to access him. Unlike the Gallade before E17, it's now only available during the E16 content. This means it can participate in three important battles: Adrienn (where it gets blown away), Titania (where, despite the technical type advantage, it still gets blown away by her hard hitting and fast physical attackers with seeds to get in at least one free turn), and Amaria (where the field blows it away). It doesn't have many opportunities in this episode to take advantage of it's pros, especially considering the fact that we don't really fight many dark type Pokemon (meaning Justified doesn't have as much time to shine). Honestly, as soon as we get Galladite, it's definitely going to jump up in the rankings. Until then, however, it comes too late, with many fighting types outclassing it in game (Toxicroak, Lucario, Scrafty), and especially considering you could get Gardevoir instead. Still, those are fair points.

I also really enjoyed your Wigglytuff reasonings. Where would you personally rank it? I'll definitely add it to the list!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Filthy Casual said:

I also really enjoyed your Wigglytuff reasonings. Where would you personally rank it? I'll definitely add it to the list!

Well going by my personal playthrough I say it is a C as while it doesn't do good against Titania, its okay for most of the game and the earlier episode buffed it with a stab dazzling gleam and assault vest. It also can pull off some surprising victories thanks to the field effects.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see either of these two when reading the first post so:

Stoutland:

Stoutland should be B tier I'd say.

Pros:

+ Early evolutions.

+ Good stats everywhere except for Special Attack, especially for so early in the game.

+ Starts out with strong moves in Take Down and Work Up, gets Crunch by level 24.

+ Baby Doll Eyes is useful to neutralize any physical attacker as well and set up with Work Up.

+ Intimidate is a fantastic ability in game.

Cons:

- Bewear comes hilariously early for such a strong Pokemon, and is generally better than Stoutland outside of speed. However Bewear has a 50% chance to be a Snubbul instead, and if it ends up as one Stoutland has a strong case for being the strongest Normal Type Pokemon for a long time.

- While never bad at any point in the game and perfectly usable all throughout, other Pokemon start to outshine it later on.

- Normal STAB isn't very useful and limited to Crunch, Fire Fang, Thunder Fang, or Ice Fang for useful coverage.

Donphan:

I'd say Donphan belongs in higher B tier.

Pros: 

+ Can be caught immediately after Shelly at level 38, so it's fully evolved and ready to go right out of the gate.

+ Gets Earthquake at level 43.

+ Knock Off is also a useful move.

+ Great Attack and Defense stats.

+ Pure ground typing is nice offensively and defensively.

+ Sturdy is a nice ability letting it take a hit that would KO when needed, such as when you want to break Serra's Mirror Field  with Earthquake.

Cons:

- Pitiful Special Defense.

- All it really gets for useful moves outside of Earthquake and Knock Off are Strength, Rock Smash, Fire Fang, and Thunder Fang for a very long time.

- Very slow.

Such pokemon will probably reach B or low A status due to their late implementation into the game. I would argue that Aegislash still keeps a high rank in A, as it is unique and definitely worth using after finding it that far into the game. It would be S rank if we found it much earlier, as well as Garchomp. However, in the case of Garchomp there is Flygon, which provides comparable results and becomes available at the middle of the game. 

• Veterans
Spoiler

Garchomp for High B - Low A:

+  Fantastic typing

+  Fantastic stats

+  Comes with Outrage which honestly on the Dragons Den completely stomps both Hardy and Saphira.

+  Rough Skin and Sand Veil are both fantastic abilities

-  Comes extremely late into the game leaving it in tight competition with Flygon who despite it's considerably worse stats, get's Earthquake and Dragon Dance by level up.

-  It's only true shortcoming is that it does not get Earthquake by level up, leaving it with the comparably weak Dig and Bulldoze. That being said, E18 will bring the Stomping Tantrum move tutor which acts as a usable alternative.

Aegislash for High A, arguably S rank:

+ The best stats available in the game, period.

+ The best typing available, period.

+ God tier ability that can abuse the AI to no end.

+ It learns every move it wants via level up bar Shadow Ball, though it can easily run a full physical set.

+ Stomps Titania and with a little support, does the same to Amaria.

- Available extremely late into the game.

Gyarados for A rank:

I don't think I even need to elaborate on this one. You already know what he does. He's doing the same thing he's always done. Dragon Dance. Sweep. Titania has little to stop it's surprisingly reliable  and it can prove surprisingly useful vs Amaria, especially if the field gets turned into the underwater field. Hardy and Saphira will be extremely hard pressed to stop it's rampage, what with Outrage being readily available for it. Frankly the only reason it wouldn't be S rank is that it's super late, super low level and doesn't really come with any good moves. Hardly makes a difference though since it again, curbstomps practically anything in it's way.

Finally done E17 I just noticed madibuzz is still described as an mystery egg mon even though it can be catched.

Spoiler

Can I dual rank a pokemon? I want to give toxapex an S or A-/B+ depending on whether you get it as a mystery egg or not. A lot of its advantages become weaker as the game progresses (toxic access, black sludge) and its disadvantages become more pronounced at the end.

Toxapex

+ fantastic typing: water/poison has 8 resistance and 3 weaknesses poison typing gives access to black sludge

+ amazing abilities: regenerator,merciless and limber are all good abilities of course limber is the odd one out but a paralasys hax can end toxapex so I wouldn't just dismiss it

+ natural move pool is amazing: banefull bunker , toxic, toxic spikes, recover and venoshock are all available before lvl 40

+ tms are ok with access to infestation and scald

+ good defensive stats

- available late game (non mystery egg)

- poor gym leader matchups with Adrienn, Titania, Amaria

- poor doubles mon

Spoiler

Jumppluff C

+ 110 speed

+ available very early

+ great support moves: grassy terrain, leech seed, sleep powder,...

+ great for doubles

+ decent bulk for early game with synthesis

+ natural acrobatics to offset bad offense

- bad typing

- offense falls over time. Acrobatics just don't cut it anymore.

- defense falls over time

Note that in E18 I want to up to B with access to strength sap since it becomes the fatest strength sap user which sounds weird but it gives more support while still having that sustain

Also a remark about Amoonguss (from previous runs/games I still have to do that run again for E17 content)

Spoiler

Amoonguss' low speed is actually usefull: with regenerator,spore and its slow speed makes it a great pivot. You get a free switch and maybe a free setup turn.

On top of that it's low speed makes it a good trick room check. In trick room 30 Amoonguss suddenly becomes one of the fatest spore users which can shut down threats very easily.

• 2 months later...

I would like to Give Infernape a S rank nomination up here which surprisingly he is not on here ablready but ok.

+Available as a starter.

+Has an excellent offensive Typing for this game with Fire/Fighting.

+Good offensive stats that allow it to go Mix,Special or Physical 104/104/108.

+An Amazing movepool with via leveling up as well as from breeding and Move tutors (Flare blitz,Fire punch,Mach punch,Close combat,Acrobatics,thunderpunch,buldoze,stone edge flamethrower, calm mind e.t.c .

+Has a good ability with Iron fist which allows Fire punch to become a much more reliable stab than flare blitz(you can easily breed it with an ampharos obtained before the third badge).

+Can do and works most effectively with immediate damage rather than having to setup before hand which can prove to be very usefull in many cases.

+Does not truly suffer against any gym leader outright and can do good damage to atleast a few of thier pokemon in each battle.

-its defenses are nothing to write home about with 76/71/71.

dunno if this has been mentioned but there's an ice stone in a cave in North Aventurine woods which can be used to evolve A-sandshrew.

so you can have A-sandslash before Radomus even~ not fair for it to be in the fail category me thinks :P

Butterfree C-

+ Available just at the start of the game.

+ Very quick evolution (10 lv)

+ Nice statistics for beginning (90 SpA, 80 SpD)

+ Quite nice movepool: Presence of powders, silver wind and bugg buzz on relatively early stage of game.

+ Tinded Leans are pretty nice

- Statistics nice for the beggining are dissapointing on next stages of game: 50 Def and 70 Speed, what make difficulties to survive next attacks

- 4x weakness to rock and 4 more 2x

- Do not resist clash with its class rivals. Is generally too weak.

Also i have some objections about:

Arcanine - There is not mentioned that Fire dog can learn Extremespeed - Powerful +2 piority move.

Venusaur - After Chapter 17 Bulbasaur doesn't learn Leech Seed at 7 lvl. He must be learned by move relearner, which is accesable on rather late point of game. It is a shame because it is his signature move i guess and lack of it limites his potential.

Swoobat - Endeavor with his speed is a quite powerful technique. That move, combined with Arcanine's Extremespeed have helped a lot dealing with Amaria.

Swalot: C or D

+ Available right out the gate

+ Learns yawn, acid drench, body slam, and toxic to cause various troubles for your enemies, all by level 26.

+ Also gets stockpile and gastro acid at later levels.

+ Reasonable bulk 100/83/83 lets it get off a debuff or two even at higher levels

+ Florina, the tangrowths and Corey are susceptible to it

+ Can use poison gas to mess with Adrien

- Poor offensive power

- No toxic spikes

- its immediate competition is better at those

- Slow

- Weak ability other than baiting leech seed for all two of the times you'll get that used on you

- Ugly face

- Might eat you if you let your guard down.

- No really, do not hug it. You will die.

- That Adrien positive I mentioned? Xe will attempt to stop any such endeavor. Plus xer whimsocott is almost guaranteed to blow away the corrosive mist with tailwind.

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this topic is still active (@Filthy Casual), but I'll add something myself.

First of all... Vanilluxe in A-tier isn't really justified. It has a very bad defensive typing, and a poor physical bulk, combined with almost no coverage. I'd place it in B or C (B more likely).

Also. Since nobody has added it...

Sawsbuck: B

+Now available by the Jasper Ward egg, which is just after Florinia.

+A solid Base attack stat (100), combined with an -also solid- 95 Speed base stat and a great offensive typing. 

+Great coverage moves, with Double-Edge, Horn Leech, Jump Kick (at level 24!), Megahorn (via move relearner), and the (almighty in Reborn) Nature Power. It also has access to the very useful Agility and Natural Gift by breeding.

+Great Abilities. It can clutch many battles by outspeeding just about everything in Sun with Chlorophyll, or get useful Attack boosts by Sap Sipper. By E18, it will also be able to utilize flinch shenanigans with Headbutt/Serene Grace.

+Early on, it can use Leech Seed to help stall out Pokemon, Double Kick to break Sturdy, or Aromatherapy to be used as an offensive cleric, even though this isn't the optimal use.

+Design. 'nuff said.

-Bad defensive typing, combined with mediocre base stats (80/70/70) means that the majestic buck will struggle to setup, or take a hit.

-Works best with sun support (Castform, Ninetales, or Prankster Meowstic work amazingly with it).

-Even though it evolves early, at level 34, it learns no offensive Grass type moves till then (apart from Energy Ball at 32, which is special and hits very weakly coming off a Deerling).

-The first Gyms it has to face will be Corey and Shelly, so it won't be very useful till Shade. But then, Kiki and Aya follow...

-Without an Attack boost, it will struggle to OHKO things, so it works best with entry hazard supports, as a sweeper.

• 2 weeks later...

Huh.  We ranked Primarina and Incineroar and neglected to deal with Decidueye.  whoops.  Might as well handle that + another Gen 7 ghost type here as well.  Right, one with the show then.   Let's start with Decidueye.

Decidueye For B Rank!

Pros

- Solid, solid balanced stats, with nothing being below 70.

- Starter!  Perfect availability.

- Ghost/Grass is a neat and pretty awesome typing, with good resistances like Fighting, Normal, Ground, and Water.

- Movepool is excellent, much like the other Gen 7 starters, with things like Leaf Blade, Sucker Punch, Brave Bird, Synthesis, and Nasty Plot for special variants, all via level up!

- Spirit Shackle is a fantastic move, the 2nd strongest single turn physical ghost move in the game aside from Spectral Thief, and it also traps the target as well.  Can be useful for certain setups.

- No seriously this thing's movepool is actually amazing.

- Rowlet.

Cons

- Base 70 speed is...awkward, at best.

- Grass/Ghost whilst good, is also really really bad in some scenarios.  Key weaknesses to ice, fire, dark, and ghost can keep it from doing its job.

- Needs TMs to really make a special set work.

- Needs to boost up to really hit hard, base 107/100 attack/sp.atk is nice but not quite good enough to make a dent in things.

- Dartrix

Mimikyu for B Rank!

Pros

- One of the BEST typings in the game.  Ghost/Fairy is INCREDIBLE.  When your two weaknesses are Steel and Ghost, you're doing something right.  You're even immune to 3 amazing offensive types, Normal, Fighting, AND Dragon.  Come on!

- Natural movepool is solid.  Play Rough, Shadow Sneak, Hone Claws, Wood Hammer via Relearner, Pain Split, the list goes on.  

- Disguise.  Honestly Disguise on its own deserves to be A rank, that ability is just so good.  It guarantees you a turn to do whatever the heck you want, just once.  Can't keep you safe from status, but you can definitely play around that easily enough.

- Solid statline.  90 attack and 96 speed is pretty good given your typing.

Cons

- Availability.  E17 content onward only, but I get the feeling it'll justify the B rank in 18 onward.

- Its stats are good, but not THAT good.  Despite the typing a stiff breeze will KO it after the Disguise is broken.

- It REALLY wants Swords Dance.  Badly.

- Your best Ghost move is Shadow Claw, ouch.  

- Lack of burst power without access to things like its exclusive Z crystal or even just Ghostium/Fairium.

Escavalier for A/B:

Spoiler

+ Available in Spinel Town

+ Incredibly effective against Noel, Radomus, Luna, Adrienn and Blake

+ base 135 Attack and Swords Dance makes it amazing as a physical attacker

+ As a traded Pokemon, it gets Experience faster than others

+ Overcoat gives immunity to Hail and Powder moves

+ Bug/Steel is a wonderful defensive type

+ Scizor isn't available as of E17

- Directly competes with Durant

- Extremely slow at base 20 Speed, and it doesn't learn Gyro Ball to abuse it

- Limited to STAB moves and Reversal without move tutors