Gen 2 - Shiny Thread | Public Development

Jan

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, I finished misdreavus and spinerak/ariados.

I hope it's not too bad, it's my first time editing a sprite.

If there are ways I can improve, please tell me!

And I'm sorry, I don't know how to remove the background...

Here is misdreavus:

Misdreavus.jpg

I already made this one, when I read your comment Jan. About the fact that you want less black shinys. So I made an alternative:

Misdreavus 1.jpg

Pick the one you like best.

And one question: am I allowed/supposed to make mismagius right now as well? Because it's a different gen, but it's also an evolution of misdreavus...

Spinerak.jpg

I was working on this spinerak, when I got a different idea...

Spinerak 1.jpgAriados.jpg

I decided to reverse the colours :)

Again, pick which one you like best. (Though, personally, I like the red one better. I don't like the red on the smiley of the first one).

I'll wait for you to approve them, before starting on the backsprites. So, probably tomorrow.

Edited by KmK

• Developers

I've been gone for most of today... so long post inc. 

14 hours ago, Njab said:

I see! Thank you for help. I feel like it still needs some work but it looks better than before

ezimba17213773366600.gif

This looks WAY better. This is quite the improvement! Try blending the mouth with a gray rather than the brown. It makes it stand out too much. 

I'd also try other colors than brown. Not too sure that it works well here. 

12 hours ago, Zumi said:

I present to thee, the shinies for Espeon and Umbreon!

6CZR1IG.pngFvKBXT4.png

0SbspUx.pngISVomPq.png

If you couldn't tell, I based Espeon's on Luna from Sailor Moon, and Umbreon's on Kyubey from Puella Magi Madoka Magica. :]

These are extremely well done. Thanks!

12 hours ago, DreamblitzX said:

Ok here's my first attempt at Corsola (no back sprite yet). any tips? I tried to kinda base it off of bleached coral reefs

corsolatest.png

Edit: It looks a bit different than when I open the file directly, kinda more smoothed?

Unfortunately, there are quite a bit of issues here.

• I like the idea of bleached coral reefs, but I'm not too sure the colors successfully work here. There's a bit of pink left over from the original sprite as well.
  • Additionally, it seems like you tried to manually edit the shades using a 1x pixel brush. If you look closely, it makes the pixels look broken up and shattered. 
  • There are a lot of needless shades of the same color. It's best to keep this stuff to a minimum for neatness.

Lastly, what program are you using? Just curious because some programs can't go to 2x resolution which is an obvious problem. It's also really hard to keep track of colors that were used. I used to have that problem and it was not a fun time :[

12 hours ago, Siragon said:

And here are the sinies for Hoothoot, Noctowl and Celebi !

The Hoothoot line is slightly based on the snowy owls and for Celebi i just colored it with the blue of the antennas (that a colored in pink because i wanted to give a wink to the official shiny)

163s.png

163sb.png

164s.png

164sb.png

251s.png

251sb.png

So Hoothoot and Noctowl here have quite a bit of coloring/shading issues. It's very hard to discern each shade. It looks like Noctowl is all one

shade. When it comes to shading I like to follow one rule. Is the shading visible when I zoom out? If not, I've shaded incorrectly. 

Also, like it was mentioned somewhere... it's pretty similar to Reborn's shiny. I'd like to keep things different.  Perhaps try another color scheme?

------

Like the above, there are a bit of coloring issues present. These are the results of some tweaking I've done:

bJwx7y0.pngprJ4stH.png

So. the first problem with Celebi is that one blue shade was overly saturated. Everything else was quite dull while one blue was -incredibly- bright. 

I think it's best to keep to similar levels of saturation unless you're specifically doing it for shading. I know this works well with red and pink. 

The pink was fine for the most part. I just messed with the saturation and the brightness to help them stand out more. 

But you don't have to worry about this as I've went ahead and fixed it for you. So I'll coonsider this one finished. 

8 hours ago, HYCROX said:

Heracross guize. Is it approved?

214.png(male) 214f.png(female) 214_1.png

So there are a few color/saturation problems here. Which doesn't surprise me because yellow is a BITCH to work with.

Generally when working with yellow you wanna go towards brown/red when creating darker shades otherwise it comes out like this

gross yellowish-green shade.  You did that for the most part, but the outline is leaning towards green which makes it stand out, and not in the good way.

The goes for some of the shading with Mega Heracross.

On the topic of Mega Heracross, I'm not sure Gold and Blue go together... Perhaps trying another color? Preferably not pink because we have like 10 gold/pink shinies at this point. 

LASTLY, I went ahead and created a fixed version of that heracross for reference, but I also made a red version. I kind of like the red, but what do you prefer? 

Spoiler

c8e5e844f4eb839f49f630ae91ed3060.png

7 hours ago, KmK said:

Hi,

I created an account specifically so I could create a shiny.

I'd like to do misdreavus and spinerak/ariados.

Hello! Welcome ^^'! Noted!

7 hours ago, gryson said:

hey, i know it doesnt has to be shiny with sparkles and stuff, but i find it all dark coloured shiny's

like the chinchou is "shiny", not dark.....

the noctowl line is dark

but hey, that just my opinion, great work ether way

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would also be inclined to agree with all the dark colored shinies. Mostly black.

I'm trying to stray away from using black too much from this point on. Which is why I created a brighter Chinchou. 

7 hours ago, Desaya said:

@Jan Thanks for the tips!

Yours is definitely better so I went ahead and did Lanturn.

171.png  171b.png

Oh wow, thanks! These look really nice. I can see your improvements with resolution already. Nice job!

7 hours ago, MakaTorracat said:

Donphan front sprites charging in >:0 (female has the darker tusks)

232fs.png

232s.png

These are really pretty! I like it a lot. 

6 hours ago, MakaTorracat said:

May I claim Swinub and Piloswine as well?

Go for it!

6 hours ago, Trevore said:

198.png198b.png

Just saying this now, but I would love to do the Murkrow line.

I PMed you before, but here is Murkrow (Haven't done the female version yet, but yes, I did do the backsprite too)

Yeah I saw the PM, sorry about that. I tend to get distracted and forget to reply, but I did read it. Perhaps change the beak color, though? If nothing works

better than this, that's fine. I'll just accept as is. 

6 hours ago, ycoder321 said:

Tessy line done

Trddy.png

Teddy Back.png

Ursaring Front M.png

Ursaring Male Back.png

Ursaring Front F.png

Ursaring Female Back.png

approved!

5 hours ago, Atticus said:

first routes gang is done

Reveal hidden contents

XL0Dl2c.pngdu1swI1.png

9ZpeTNK.png8G5R8Qo.png

BBQwUEU.pngUAohDhR.png (male)

c64TfzL.pngh0szhyv.png (female)

OdAuAQb.png4TJwLQc.png (male)

KQh2yGh.pngd0BTWES.png (female)

These are cute af. Love them. Excellent work as always, Atticus! :]

4 hours ago, Bluedodobob said:

Here are my Ideas for the Ampharos line, if you prefer Hycrox's, go with them.

Reveal hidden contents

179s.png179sb.png

180s.png180sb.png

181s.png181sb.png

181s_1.png181sb_1.png

And here are the Houndoom line sprites.

Reveal hidden contents

228s.png228sb.png

229s.png229sb.png

229fs.png229fsb.png

229s_1.png229sb_1.png

Not sure I like the red too much on Ampharos... Perhaps use blue instead? 

----

Houndour's line is... good, but those spots need a ton of work. They are too square. you're going to rough these out to make them look like actual spots

and less like cubes. 

If it gets to be too much, removing the spots is a viable option as well. 

4 hours ago, BIGJRA said:

Next draft of Wobbuffet + Back 

202s.png

202sb.png

I think these were a step in the right direction. If you base the colors somewhere around here: 

pVsd4WE.png

They'll be perfect. Don't forget to change the outline's color when editing sprites! They only change a small amount, but that can mean a huge difference!

3 hours ago, HYCROX said:

185b.png185fb.png

I just noticed you wanted to do something with the feet Jan (tbh I didn't really know what to do with them), so I tried to do something nice.

You did exactly what I asked! So you're good. These will!

1 hour ago, HYCROX said:

193.png

Yanma with Grape-ish colours

This is cute, I like it. Carry on.

1 hour ago, KmK said:

So, I finished misdreavus and spinerak/ariados.

I hope it's not too bad, it's my first time editing a sprite.

If there are ways I can improve, please tell me!

And I'm sorry, I don't know how to remove the background...

Here is misdreavus:

Misdreavus.jpg

I already made this one, when I read your comment Jan. About the fact that you want less black shinys. So I made an alternative:

Misdreavus 1.jpg

Pick the one you like best.

And one question: am I allowed/supposed to make mismagius right now as well? Because it's a different gen, but it's also an evolution of misdreavus...

Spinerak.jpg

I was working on this spinerak, when I got a different idea...

Spinerak 1.jpgAriados.jpg

I decided to reverse the colours :)

Again, pick which one you like best. (Though, personally, I like the red one better. I don't like the red on the smiley of the first one).

I'll wait for you to approve them, before starting on the backsprites. So, probably tomorrow.

These aren't bad! Especially for your first time. One thing though, please save these images in PNG instead of JPEG because JPEG ruins the quality a lot.

I can't even save the file to take a closer look, thus I can't point you in a good direction.

Though I will say that the golden Misdreavus is probably my favorite. Also I like the red Spinarak as well. So I'd continue with that!

As for Mismagius, I'd say just go for it anyway. To keep things consistent. 

Sorry if I missed anyone. I had to catch up on a -LOT- 

Keep it coming guys!

• Veterans

hi im going to crash the party and pitch in my ideas for the ampharos line as well because it's my favourite mon's evo line and aaaaaaaaaa

Spoiler

10WrY5A.pngNTYjg2S.png

nynI1Dk.png96Ix9Ff.png

Tp8iKqb.pngpUvbY6W.png

K5qDGVZ.pngAwgg9wX.png

(i know it's claimed and all but i can dream ok)

27 minutes ago, Jan said:

These are cute af. Love them. Excellent work as always, Atticus! :]

*flattered*

Sorry if I missed anyone. I had to catch up on a -LOT- 

I thought you missed my Igglybuff/Blissey, but then I saw them marked as complete.

in any case

;;;;

Spoiler

Du2wXJO.png52JBSAv.png

bSjwwv7.pngMDAjBTa.png

also, you marked sentret/furret/ledian as might gai's

I SEE YOU MIGHT GAI

VyARG09.jpg

But seriously, Might Gai does a great job with the sprites as well, so it is completely understandable if you get confused with our sprites.

edit: taking gligar and hoppip line

Edited by Atticus

I'm sorry, I had no idea jpeg ruins the quality.

Here you go, in png this time.

Misdreavus 1.png

Spinerak 1.pngAriados.png

And I'll remember it for the future.

p.s. I just wanna say, I love the game. Personally, I play it for the story. But I also like the fact that it's more of a challenge. Keep up the good work!

p.s.s. One last thing, I love your design for the chikorita line.

• Developers
23 minutes ago, MakaTorracat said:

Also made Swinub and Piloswine into shrubbery

Mamoswine would have flowers XD 

Just checking to see what you think while you are on Jan ^>^

221s.png

220s.png

I like the colors a lot, though if you're going to go for flowers, then spriting actual flowers would probably be better than just dots. 

19 minutes ago, rentalrafflesia said:

gurrensparce

BZ0ZUpK.pngIX5qQso.png

...Well played. Approved. 

4 minutes ago, ycoder321 said:

So i was messing around and was like "IMA MAKE A POKEBALL QUILFISH" and then like.. it kinda looks good to me XD so ill show you it, if you dont like it then i can change it of course lol 

Quilfish.png

I do like it. Let's try some other colors first before we decide on this one!

3 minutes ago, Zumi said:

hi im going to crash the party and pitch in my ideas for the ampharos line as well because it's my favourite mon's evo line and aaaaaaaaaa

Reveal hidden contents

10WrY5A.pngNTYjg2S.png

nynI1Dk.png96Ix9Ff.png

Tp8iKqb.pngpUvbY6W.png

K5qDGVZ.pngAwgg9wX.png

(i know it's claimed and all but i can dream ok)

Wow these are actually really well done. 

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

*flattered*

I thought you missed my Igglybuff/Blissey, but then I saw them marked as complete.

in any case

also, you marked sentret/furret/ledian as might gai's

I SEE YOU MIGHT GAI

VyARG09.jpg

But seriously, Might Gai and does a great job with the sprites as well, so it is completely understandable if you get confused with our sprites.

taking gligar and hoppip line

*screams*

That was my fault. q~q. You two have similar styles (Which are excellent) and I got confused. Fixing now.

I forgot to reply to Blissey and Igglybuff but I saw them and they are approved. Everything is a-okay. 

Okay, marked down!

• Global Mods
1 hour ago, Jan said:

Unfortunately, there are quite a bit of issues here.

• I like the idea of bleached coral reefs, but I'm not too sure the colors successfully work here. There's a bit of pink left over from the original sprite as well.
  • Additionally, it seems like you tried to manually edit the shades using a 1x pixel brush. If you look closely, it makes the pixels look broken up and shattered. 
  • There are a lot of needless shades of the same color. It's best to keep this stuff to a minimum for neatness.

Lastly, what program are you using? Just curious because some programs can't go to 2x resolution which is an obvious problem. It's also really hard to keep track of colors that were used. I used to have that problem and it was not a fun time :[

As I said, the broken up parts seem to just be a weird side effect from uploading, it looks fine on when I open the file on my desktop... not sure why though.

Yea I was just manually editing the pixels in paint (cringe) but I don't know what else to use that has a good colour replacement tool.

also am I just being blind? I can't see any pink in it...

if the colors themselves aren't good, I'll try think up a different colour scheme or two to try instead with a better program once someone suggests one.

1 minute ago, DreamblitzX said:

As I said, the broken up parts seem to just be a weird side effect from uploading, it looks fine on when I open the file on my desktop... not sure why though.

Yea I was just manually editing the pixels in paint (cringe) but I don't know what else to use that has a good colour replacement tool.

if the colors themselves aren't good, I'll try think up a different colour scheme or two to try instead with a better program once someone suggests one.

Fire Alpaca is what I use. Multiple layers help me keep track of shading tbh

3 minutes ago, MakaTorracat said:

Fire Alpaca is what I use. Multiple layers help me keep track of shading tbh

and am here right clicking with the eraser in paint ...

well as much as i hate this game (i was dumb enough to nuzlocke it) it was part of my childhood, so here it is azombarill :

7KNvDEW.pngYP2hDCV.pngfeyzuaw.pngkBo3Oh2.png

if you hate me for bringing back nightmares, at least it's not pink

5 minutes ago, DreamblitzX said:

I use graphics gale. Im not an expert on it, but Im using it because it was suggested in the previous thread for making shinies for gen 1. Ame has some videos on youtube to explain how it works. 

1 hour ago, Jan said:

LASTLY, I went ahead and created a fixed version of that heracross for reference, but I also made a red version. I kind of like the red, but what do you prefer? 

Reveal hidden contents

c8e5e844f4eb839f49f630ae91ed3060.png

The outline in the left one stands out a little, just a little, bit more that I'd like, and that's what I tried to avoid in my version (but yes, a second look shortly after the sprite was made made the outline problems clear for me, but then I had to do other stuff). But I really liked the red Heracross. Therefore, I made the sprites match that colour scheme:

214.png(male) 214f.png(female) 214b.png(male) 214fb.png(female)

About Mega Heracross, I couldn't decide on what colour would look better with the red, so I'm gonna leave that to you:

214_1.png214_1(2).png214_1(1).png

Also, Yanma backsprite:

193b.png

If all is good then I want Gligar and the Quaggy line

• Global Mods

OK I got GIMP and worked out how to colour replace, And tried out a sort of fire-inspired Corsola.

222s.png

Ok Here's the backsprite. Red matches the front colour palette I believe, but I also tried an orange one. not sure which looks better

222sbr.png222sbo.png

Edited by DreamblitzX
added backsprites