If you could make your own ability...

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Draconian - Raises Attack or Sp. Attack (which ever is highest) by three stages when a move hits, but lowers them by three stages when hit. Priority moves will not trigger this effect and multi-hit moves will only trigger this effect once.

Edited by Animefan666

3 hours ago, Yagami said:

Wonder guard 2.0:Only moves with recoil damage will hit.

For example moves like take down,brave bird etc will be able to hit.

What about life orb users?

Time distortion, multi turn attacks only need 1 turn (it's like 2 turns in one, so at the end of the turn the second turn happens) and passive damage/healing is doubled

Magic switch. This Pokémon don't need an extra turn to switch. Basically if you switch from or to this Pokémon you can attack right away (I think this would be op, so should it be 1st attack and then switch or first switch and then attack ? And should be both Pokémon or only when the ability holder gets on battle or when he wants to switch out)

Egocentric- in doubles or triples you have to attack this Pokémon (like follow me)

Leech - in doubles or triples, the attack this Pokémon uses gets the secondary effect of the ally( if the ally uses bite and you use ember you may make the opponent flinch and/or burn) the question here is if the ally keeps the secondary effect or you steel it, and if he uses a status attack, like quiver dance if you get the boost too.

Edited by Anti_Hero

• 2 weeks later...

Secondary effects and Status moves are completely different, so most likely no. My question is, what if the ally is holding a King's Rock or has Serene Grace? Do those effects carry over to the user? What happens if the ally has multiple moves with Secondary effects?

Just some mechanical questions I had. It's always important to make sure you got all of your bases covered

• 1 month later...

Cannot think of a name for this ability.

Basically it is a modified version of huge power/pure power.So if a pokemon's HP goes below half,it's attack will gain an increase of 30/40%.

This would be an unique ability for archeops because seriously defeatist is bad for this pokemon.

This also opens up to create other abilities which will also increase the special attack or speed below half hp.

Vicious: When facing an opponent any attacking move that brings the opponent's health below 50% will increase both Attack and Special Attack one stage. This effect can stack for every consecutive attack landed that breaches the 50% health mark and anything afterwards. Multi-hit moves can activate this effect multiple times. Stat increases automatically revert as soon as the current opponent faints or is switched out. IE: User uses fury attack on an opponent who is at 51% health. The first hit brings the health <50%, and increases the attack and sp. attack one stage. The user can gain up to 5 attack and sp. attack boosts in a single turn against this single opponent. In the case of double and triple battles, the stacking only starts on the first target that the user reduces under 50%, and won't spread between two or three targets going under 50%. So if the single Pokemon that has its health go under 50% switches out, all attack boosts are removed instantly from the user.

Relentless: Using any move that hits multiple times in a turn or using the same move multiple turns in a row applies a 20% damage increase to the move's base power each time it is used. IE: Fury attack is used and it hits three times in one turn, the base power for the move would go 25, 30, 36. Using it again the next turn would give it a starting base power of 36 and would keep stacking from that point up. Damage increases are capped at 100%.

Jittery / Light on Feet: The user which possesses this ability gains a 10% chance to evade any move that hits after a standard accuracy check, and also has a 20% chance to increase the user's move's priority by +1 for a single turn.

Edited by PrimeMehster
grammar lol

Hivemind: For each Bug-type on the team, excluding the user, this Pokemon gains a 4% boost to its stats except HP, maxing out at 20%.

Tuning: Upon each consecutive use of a Sound-based move, the base power of the move increases by 20%.

Stupefying: Each attack gains a 10% chance of confusion.

One-Trick: If this Pokemon has only one move, its Attack, Special Attack, and Speed are doubled.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, most abilities here are mostly beneficial to the Pokemon. Let's try something else, shall we?

Immunodeficient: Poison becomes Toxic when inflicted on this Pokemon. Leech Seed's damage is doubled on this Pokemon (from 1/8 to 1/4).

Attached: This Pokemon cannot switch out.

Weak Entrance: This Pokemon takes doubled damage on the turn it is switched in.

• 3 weeks later...

What if: Golisopod actually got a new ability

Wings of Mercy: when an ally Pokemon is reduced to 50 percent health or lower, switch it out and switch in Golisopod at the end of the turn. 

Idk if it's good or not I just remembered that it's default is Escape Route and fire emblem heroes happened

I could list more, but here are some of my favorites:

• Ghoulish: when this pokemon faints, makes PP of opponent's last move used become 0 --- various ghosts
  • Indomitable: takes x.5 damage from moves with base 100 power or higher --- aggron, tyranitar, incineroar, bastiodon, abomasnow, regirock, gigalith. (This ability is balanced when applied; feel free to run some calcs on the Pokémon I listed if you don't believe me. At best, Indomitable turns earthquake into a 2HKO, which sturdy already does)
  • Duelist: When the user lands a Critical Hit on an opponent, raises the user's Defense and Sp. Defense 1 stage --- escavalier, gallade
  • Shatterproof: takes x.5 damage from Rock and Fighting-type attacks --- cryogonal, avalugg, gigalith
  • Blood Sucker: contact moves heal the user for 1/4th of their damage dealt --- crobat, ariados, araquanid
  • Vicious: after damaging an opponent with a contact move, all healing effects on that pokemon are reduced by 1/2 (applies grievous wounds) for 3 turns

These are all originals. I'll post some of GF's pre-existing abilities that I've reworked in a follow-up post.

And here are some abilities that are already in the games, which I have reworked to have completely (or mostly) new and original effects:

• Battle Armor: when below 50% HP, user takes x.5 damage from attacks, but can only use attacking moves
  • Healer: has a 30% chance to heal another random party member’s status condition at the end of each round, or 50% chance if that party member is also active (for doubles)
  • Klutz: causes the user’s contact moves to knock off items when the user isn’t holding an item
  • Symbiosis: after fainting, heals 1/4 Max HP of your next Pokémon switched in
  • Anger Point: now raises the Critical Hit Ratio by 1 stage when an opponent uses a status (non-attacking) move
  • Telepathy: takes x.8 damage from non-contact moves
Edited by Octavius