Marcello

The developer who took their code and left wasn't me. The reason we decided to start from scratch is because I last worked on the project nearly a year ago and at this point the time I'd waste understanding my previous code would be better spent guiding Marcello as he coded the system from scratch. I taught Ruby to Jericho, Marcello and others. The multiple mentions of respect stem mostly from the fact that I created, championed and led the development team idea from start up to my voluntary leaving of it. Yes, it would be possible. No, it wouldn't be practical.

I mean in all honesty, I would've been surprised if it was you since well, you've been setting everything up for a smooth path towards other people coding for Reborn over this long period of time. I do have a pretty good idea who this person who took their code is, but since I can't be certain I'll refrain from stating any names.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooooooooo.

An online battle system where we use our good ol' Reborn-trained mons instead of instantly generated ones, and you potentially don't have to have perfect EVs/IVs or use specific mons just so you have a chance to compete, and there aren't endless items like Leftovers/Life Orb/Choice Specs/etc. everywhere unless you can buy those things in the Department Store by the time this is implemented?

My attention has been caught.

Ooooooooooo.

An online battle system where we use our good ol' Reborn-trained mons instead of instantly generated ones, and you potentially don't have to have perfect EVs/IVs or use specific mons just so you have a chance to compete, and there aren't endless items like Leftovers/Life Orb/Choice Specs/etc. everywhere unless you can buy those things in the Department Store by the time this is implemented?

My attention has been caught.

well you can only have one item of every kind per team, and you get at least one ingame easily.. so..

i have like 10 leftovers from my pickup team (and like 70 heart scales :X)

If you haven't already thought of implementing it, there needs to be a restrictive tier system based on what episode you're on. We don't want a guy who just beat Shelly to get paired up with someone whose team is level 80+ with Pokemon that the other guy can't even get yet.

Also have you considered Uranium's thing of posting your team as an NPC for others to fight? That'd let people fight themselves from other playthroughs.

• Veterans

If you haven't already thought of implementing it, there needs to be a restrictive tier system based on what episode you're on. We don't want a guy who just beat Shelly to get paired up with someone whose team is level 80+ with Pokemon that the other guy can't even get yet.

Also have you considered Uranium's thing of posting your team as an NPC for others to fight? That'd let people fight themselves from other playthroughs.

Probably will be either flat 50 or flat 100.

their might actually people who breeded pokemon and trained them specifically in iv and ev until they were maxed. Which would take so long

IV breeding is a lot easier in reborn then in the main games. You have no need for the everstone since you have the psychiatrist you can more then double the chance you get the right egg with a power item. This really improves breeding a lot. EV training is very easy to do since you can buy iv correcting berries and power items. Also reborn's ability capsules helps breeding a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! The online play mechanic looks amazing. Well done to everyone involved!

One question: how does it handle "traded" Pokémon? With "traded" I mean the way people have traded their critters this far; a middlemanve with RPGMX deletes the traded Poké from your save and creates the one you get from your trade partner. I'd guess they will be considered hacked and they won't be usable in online battles and/or trading in the future?

What about their bred babies, can they be used? I'd assume a Poké bred with atleast one parent "traded" (created with RPGMX for you by the middleman) will somehow be rendered unusable by checking its code?

Can someone explain how this will work? Not really experienced with Pokémon coding, or any coding whatsoever.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been explained before!

Basically it would work just like the games. Don't quote me on any of this but both players would require internet to connect and for both games to read data for transferring before the original Pokemon is deleted and replaced with the new one.

I do not want to go too deeply into this discussion, but breeding and/or using these Pokemon online should be okay theoretically. What has been stated is that not obtainable yet mons such as Gyarados, Scizor, etc will not be usable in battles (don't know about trading) until they are officially released. I don't know how thoroughly the checks are so I cannot tell you how it will work.

Believe me that if I'm fully aware of what could happen with the online system, I'm sure Marcello and the team are well aware as well. E17 is still a long ways away so it's going to be really hard to answer every single question in regards to it until the release date gets really close because this is mostly an annoucement which does not necessarily mean the system is 100% polished just that it's working.

Basically it would work just like the games. Don't quote me on any of this but both players would require internet to connect and for both games to read data for transferring before the original Pokemon is deleted and replaced with the new one.

I do not want to go too deeply into this discussion, but breeding and/or using these Pokemon online should be okay theoretically. What has been stated is that not obtainable yet mons such as Gyarados, Scizor, etc will not be usable in battles (don't know about trading) until they are officially released. I don't know how thoroughly the checks are so I cannot tell you how it will work.

Yes I'm aware how it works in the original games, but I was just wondering if you will be able to use Pokémon you've traded for in the "Reborn Trading Thread" in the online play. I understand that this online system has a way to check to legitimacy of a Pokémon and is able to block you from using a non legit one, but how will it be able to handle the traded Pokés you've got so far (that are actually created by a middleman in RPGMX, not traded, as it is impossible for now). The trading, that has been orchestrated by Yash, has been working something like this: both post their savefiles and detailed information about the Poké they are trading -> Yash copies the information about the Pokés and creates a perfect copy of it in your savefile -> Yash deletes the Poké you traded away -> he uploads your savefiles and then you can continue playing. The Pokés are actually created by means that the online system could consider illegitimate. Maybe I can't express myself clear enough. :D

Oh well, I'm already breeding a new shiny Larvesta for myself, as I can't be sure if I could use the one I've got now (gotten through such a trade). It'll be sad, however, if I won't be able to even use Pokés bred with the Volcarona as a parent. If the game is able to check parent legitimacy or such. Thanks for your answer though!

Edited by Chilibunny

• Developers

Alright so I've been having trouble with internet for the last month or so so I've not had much chance to look over this topic, may as well respond to a few questions that have been brought up, although do keep in mind: E17 is quite a long way away so the best I can do is give preliminary answers, we have quite a long way to go still.

This is something we're thinking about how best to handle at the moment, rest assured we've considered this, and other possibilities.

I never played Uranium and did not know that was a thing. It's not something that we currently have planned, but it can certainly be revisited if there's a demand for it.

i hope e17 gets shipped the day after e16.

me three tbh

Hey! The online play mechanic looks amazing. Well done to everyone involved!

One question: how does it handle "traded" Pokémon? With "traded" I mean the way people have traded their critters this far; a middlemanve with RPGMX deletes the traded Poké from your save and creates the one you get from your trade partner. I'd guess they will be considered hacked and they won't be usable in online battles and/or trading in the future?

What about their bred babies, can they be used? I'd assume a Poké bred with atleast one parent "traded" (created with RPGMX for you by the middleman) will somehow be rendered unusable by checking its code?

Can someone explain how this will work? Not really experienced with Pokémon coding, or any coding whatsoever.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been explained before!

Okay so first up I want to clarify: the illegal mon system which we will have built into online WILL restrict what you're able to do online, but not completely so. We're not yet ready to explain exactly what will and won't be restricted but we will give a specific breakdown of how it works closer to E17.

That said, to answer your question, there shouldn't be any problem with the pokemon traded via the current method, looking at how it's done, so any such mons should be fine for you to use online without flagging your savefile.

Okay so first up I want to clarify: the illegal mon system which we will have built into online WILL restrict what you're able to do online, but not completely so. We're not yet ready to explain exactly what will and won't be restricted but we will give a specific breakdown of how it works closer to E17.

That said, to answer your question, there shouldn't be any problem with the pokemon traded via the current method, looking at how it's done, so any such mons should be fine for you to use online without flagging your savefile.

Great to hear! That'll be a boon for everyone that has been alot into trading so far. I bred myself a new shiny Larvesta already though :P it took quite some time but oh well. It always makes you feel you've accomplished more when you do it yourself.

• 1 month later...

I Seriously Hope that we have a way to breed perfect IV mons, as well as ways to speed up EV training by the time E17 comes around...

I just can't see it being fair that one trainer had the good fortune to get better IV mons, while the other has lower IV's and bad natures and therefore has to lose, even if both trainers try to take advantage of the field.

Edited by ShadeStrider

I Seriously Hope that we have a way to breed perfect IV mons, as well as ways to speed up EV training by the time E17 comes around...

I just can't see it being fair that one trainer had the good fortune to get better IV mons, while the other has lower IV's and bad natures and therefore has to lose, even if both trainers try to take advantage of the field.

It is already possible to breed Pokemon to have perfect IVs, and EV training may be slow, but it is also available.

At the same time, the trainer with worse IVs does not have to lose; they can come up with a strategy that allows them to win.