Marcello

• Developers

In fact, I can't think of very much that would be more challenging than that.

Well, except maybe if someone decided to tease you with E17 content. That would seriously suck, huh?

So, as most of you will know, we at Reborn Dev Team HQ have been working on a certain feature for a while now. That feature is mpqEl8l.png

Some of you will also be aware that, since shortly before I took over leading the Dev Team, I also took the reins of working on implementing this feature.

I've decided we'll do some show and tell on this, by showing off one of my most recent tests of the system.

REDbtvH.png

This should be familiar to any of you that have tinkered with Alexandre's Pokémon online scripts, or indeed played any fangame that has utilised them. So we can just go right ahead and click on battle and...

3ZCosHy.png

What is this? A submenu? This is new. The system for challenges that the online scripts had built in was just both sides sorta having to challenge eachother at the same time. I thought that was pretty eh, so here we are. And I suppose the only place to go from here is Challenge my good friend Dudey McTest. All I need to do is wait for his response to my challenge...

nxTyB13.png

This man is trying to drown me! Wait, uhh... Does this mean the underwater FIELD? Well that's even more new. Y'know what, lets start over, this time I'll wait for the challenge and he can challenge ME. Yeah.

atbD395.png

Now THIS is more like it. So I guess I just click yes and...

ajfQm2p.png

Well I'll be. They're all here! Even [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] and the Starlight Arena! We even have choices for no field and to randomise it if, as Ame has put it, you want to risk "getting seriously memed on" by the randomisation.

Now, what to choose? Seeing as we were speaking about getting memed on...

Well, I'm a simple guy. I like Brilliance. And Mirrors. And HAX.

And realising I don't have a witty idea for how to reveal we find out the Champion's identity in E16.

So I gues​s all that's left now is to start the fight.

qbzRtNK.png

I hope you've all enjoyed this little insight into what's being worked on with regards to online, and I do hope this little insight into a feature that will be shipping with E17 has managed to just ever so slightly whet your appetites some more for E16.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellence is something we have come to expect from the devs. And yet this is something that I at any rate did not expect, or not for a much longer time yet. More felicitations to you.

Of course this only means factory field Magnezoning for me, naturally.

• Developers

never really tried opening 2 windows at once but with that trade is it possible when this comes out way down the line to trade over save files say you want to start a new game but want to keep 1 or 2 pokemon from another pokemon reborn save file?

I'm kind of surprised that this is being worked on right now. I kind of expected this to be a post-game feature. When this is finished developing we can pester the people that got the pseudo legendaries to trade them to us (after they breed them ofc)!

I know this might sound a bit over concerning but I am kind of weary how stable this is going to be. Crashes, popup messages and disconnects are going to happen. What the main games did in this situation is have a backup file restore the previous save file.

Is there something in place to prevent save files from corrupting worse comes to worse? Other than that, this looks quite fun.

• Developers

I thought we knew their identity... curious.

I like how you appear to be the only person that picked up on this part of the post because I was honestly expecting a lot of discussion about that either here or in the status topic.

never really tried opening 2 windows at once but with that trade is it possible when this comes out way down the line to trade over save files say you want to start a new game but want to keep 1 or 2 pokemon from another pokemon reborn save file?

You would likely need another person/computer for that sort of thing. If you minimize/click out of the window while online, which you have to inevitably do when running 2 windows, it can confuse the server into thinking you've disconnected which causes problems for everyone.

Welp, I'm not a PvP player and I'm not interested to get sweeped, but this certainly looks cool alright. Is there a way to save the replay or must a 3rd party software be used?

At current battle replays are not something we've considered implementing.

Very cool! I look forward to when we can use this!

I was curious though, didn't Kurotsune make an announcement last year he was working on this as well?

Kuro's not a he. And yes, they did make such an announcement, a lot has happened with regards to the team over that time and who is working on online is something that HAS changed a few times. You're all stuck with me on it for now, though.

I know this might sound a bit over concerning but I am kind of weary how stable this is going to be. Crashes, popup messages and disconnects are going to happen. What the main games did in this situation is have a backup file restore the previous save file.

Is there something in place to prevent save files from corrupting worse comes to worse? Other than that, this looks quite fun.

While I have been spending a lot of time trying to weed out as many crashes as possible, I can't test every situation, some may fall through the cracks (any crashes people find once the system eventually release we will of course attempt to fix asap), and disconnects will be an inevitability, not to mention we can't predict if/when the server might have problems and kick people out, which will almost always cause crashes. That being said Reborn's backup save system should have you covered if worst comes to worst and, for what it's worth, over the time I've been working on getting this working and debugging it, I have had my Reborn crash way more times than I can count as I've been fixing said crashes. And not once have I had any damage to my save file.

does the system keep track of wins and loses?

cuz i suck at battling

If you suck you'll be happy to know we've not considered implementing win/loss tracking at current, I suck too.

I'm kind of surprised that this is being worked on right now. I kind of expected this to be a post-game feature. When this is finished developing we can pester the people that got the pseudo legendaries to trade them to us (after they breed them ofc)!

There's also another system in place that prevents pokémon that haven't been officially released yet from being used in online battling, so while yes, you can get them, it'd effectively make it so your save file can't battle online due to having them.

Very cool! I look forward to when we can use this!

I was curious though, didn't Kurotsune make an announcement last year he was working on this as well?

As mentioned before, not a man.

And as of a few months ago, I entirely left the development team. I had largely finished implementing the online system on my own last year, but setback after setback kept pushing me away from development as a whole. Eventually it was decided to scrap the system we had and remake it from scratch, and I assigned Marcello as it was already by then my intention of leaving the team to his hands.

This game has bugs. That isn't going to change. Yeah, introducing a new feature oft brings with it new issues, yet it's better to add them and gain the experience manipulating them rather than shying away from challenge.

As for backups, yeah, we already have a backup save system. Given that the game saves before each online operation, that by itself should help prevent the great majority of all online-related data corruption issues. If that still doesn't do it, well, players have *always* been encouraged to save every five steps, so I don't see why that would change now.

And as of a few months ago, I entirely left the development team. I had largely finished implementing the online system on my own last year, but setback after setback kept pushing me away from development as a whole. Eventually it was decided to scrap the system we had and remake it from scratch, and I assigned Marcello as it was already by then my intention of leaving the team to his hands.

Would it not be better to have Marcello continue from where you left off, and just inform him of your thought process while coding this? There are multiple mentions of respect from the rest of the dev team addressed to you, so that should have been capable of doing so. I guess it somewhat explains Ame's paraphrazed statement that "One of our developers decided to get their code and leave".

Until recently I wasn't aware that Marcello was involved in this project and judging by the demonstration of his recent work, I can say I'm impressed. So, it's nice ot see he's leading the dev team, but I still have some questions (unrelated to the topic above). Weren't you teaching Ruby to Jericho for the exact same purpose?

@Marcello, speaking of noticing stuff... I didn't laugh. Ban me.

Would it not be better to have Marcello continue from where you left off, and just inform him of your thought process while coding this? There are multiple mentions of respect from the rest of the dev team addressed to you, so that should have been capable of doing so. I guess it somewhat explains Ame's paraphrazed statement that "One of our developers decided to get their code and leave".

Until recently I wasn't aware that Marcello was involved in this project and judging by the demonstration of his recent work, I can say I'm impressed. So, it's nice ot see he's leading the dev team, but I still have some questions (unrelated to the topic above). Weren't you teaching Ruby to Jericho for the exact same purpose?

@Marcello, speaking of noticing stuff... I didn't laugh. Ban me.

The developer who took their code and left wasn't me. The reason we decided to start from scratch is because I last worked on the project nearly a year ago and at this point the time I'd waste understanding my previous code would be better spent guiding Marcello as he coded the system from scratch. I taught Ruby to Jericho, Marcello and others. The multiple mentions of respect stem mostly from the fact that I created, championed and led the development team idea from start up to my voluntary leaving of it. Yes, it would be possible. No, it wouldn't be practical.