Please tell me your favorite thing about yourself

Amethyst

• Administrators

Title.

This is a thread for self-confidence, and because I very much want to know what each of you can be proud of.

Achievements, features, skills, interests-- anything is fair game. Multiple answers are okay too.

Only two rules:

1. "Nothing" -- and similar equivalents-- is not a valid answer.

2. Don't second guess or cheapen yourself. No "I guess." No comparing yourself to others. If you're going to say it, own it.

I'll lead by example.

My favorite thing about myself is my creativity. Regardless of actual output or results, there are a myriad of things which have fascinated me-- some newly, some as long as I can remember. I do not ever find myself in a famine of ideas to pursue. Whether they have been for games and stories, concepts for miscellaneous things that I decide should exist online and could make, or even something outlandish such as a business I could start if I weren't otherwise occupied, I find these things to come to me quite easily. Because of this I can trust that, even if Reborn had never been a thing, my striking on something great for me-- whatever it may have ended up being-- was an inevitability. And will continue to be in the future.

Your turn. Let me see you shine.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm level-headed and have nerves of steel. The way I was raised might have something to do with it, but nevertheless that's what I'm proud of. If possible, I prefer to take a more rational and pragmatic approach, and try to avoid letting emotions affect my judgment (I don't mean to say I have no emotions, but rather to minimize their impact on my decision-making, especially when it's not about me or my preferences). I don't get stressed easily, as I have a tendency to remain calm.

I'm smurt as fuuuuuuuuuuuuck brah

EDIT: Since people are answering this seriously, I'm going to elaborate.

I'm honestly the most intelligent person I know. I have an amount of knowledge on a majority of topics and am quick to educate myself when I don't.

But if anything, what I take pride in the most is my ability and desire to share what I know with others. I have a very unique teaching style and - there are like 5 people in this community, Amethyst included, who can correct me if I'm wrong - it's a very effective and personal style. I like that I'm personable enough to approach all my "students" as my friends, because I know a lot of people who can't separate that very well.

If you desire pride, I won't hold back. I tend to go overboard, so my apologies if this comes across as bragging/arrogance.

I personally like to think I'm very versatile, adaptive, niche, and to a debatable extent, a jack-of-all trades. I tend to pick up skills abnormally quickly but don't really stick in one place bar several exceptions. I also like how I'm very descriptive and expressive in what I do, mostly.

Probably the two things I'm most proud of are my language proficiency and ability to play piano. I know seven languages and engage in tutoring high school kids English and doing solo freelance piano recitals for occasional wedding occasions, for instance, and art also runs in the family, so while I'm still learning I tend to think I'm also pretty artistic for a person.

I've also done a lot of other things in my life. I've been a chef, a magician, a voice actor, a part-time editor, an officiated guide maker for MOBA, captain of my Kendo club, and a storyteller. I have around 600 gold trophies stacked on my wall from youth till today from various stacked up achievements that I've been proud of.

Edited by YagamiNoir4896

I can almost always laugh at my mistakes. Even in occasions when other people might feel horribly embarrassed or stupid, I'll laugh, and usually others (when there are witnesses to my frequent stupidity) take that as a cue for it to be acceptable to laugh at what I did, too. I spent a long time in what I call an 'abusive relationship with myself', getting angry and calling myself names whenever I even did the slightest thing wrong. Sometimes I fall back into that old rut, but I've pretty much turned my old reaction to mistakes on it's head.

I think I have a lot of empathy and am good at putting myself in other people's shoes, which I like to think makes me a very tolerant person and a good listener.

I'm someone people can talk to without having to worry that I will put their opinions down, even if I don't agree with them. And as much as I know that some would argue that one would have to deal with being put down, I know too well that it is important to be able to open up to someone without getting straight into a hostile confrontation.

This thread came at a really good time for me tbh, as I've been having trouble seeing my worth over the past week or so. So thanks for making it Ame!

I'm probably going to go with a combination of hard working and helpful. If something needs something done and I can do it, I'll always do anything I can to help out or get it done. While this does sometimes make me over commit myself, I'm glad it is an aspect of my personality.

As a rule, I prefer to let my actions and demeanor talk for me, but seeing as this is specifically asking me to talk about myself, I will.

I do not wish to sound arrogant, but neither was I ever one for false modesty. Truth be told, I am well pleased with many characteristics that I have inculcated: I have been told that I am calm, pragmatic, analytical, knowledgeable, highly creative, resilient, strongly moral, and have proven myself to be a rock (or is it a Steel?) for many of those I consider my friends to lean on. If anything, I am grateful to my family and my upbringing for giving me a good character.

Naturally, I have my restraints, but this is not the place to talk about them. Of my virtues, I am most proud about my unquestionable morality of conduct, in all walks of life which I have trodden. It is not to say that I have not erred or hurt people in life; despite being made wiser by caution and incurring them rarely, I have of course made mistakes. But I believe in the spirit of honesty and humility. There is no power like the power of self-mastery, as I have once mentioned before; to be unflinchingly able to meet any probe or question with full assurance of morality of action, devoid of guilt, deceit or shame. Right, so to speak, is might with me.

This may as well be a good place to point out the distinction between pride and vanity. I am proud, but I am not vain, of my character.

This is... a difficult thread for me to answer. There are a lot of things I love about myself and finding the one that is above all others isn't easy. A few runners up would be my sense of patience, my usually calm demeanor, my curiosity, my (for lack of a better way of putting it) self understanding (the way that I know who I am, what I would do in a situation, and sometimes even why I think the way I do), my desire for honesty, my raw intelligence, and the bonds I have with my family and friends.

But I think the thing I like most about me is my wisdom. There's an old saying that says only fools say they are wise, and it's true that I am a conceited person, or at least an excessively proud one, but I accept that as one of my flaws. The fact of the matter is that I have been told on multiple occasions that I have an old head on young shoulders, or that I'm very wise for a man of only 22 years. And I believe that, whatever that says about me in truth.

My favourite things about myself would be my eagerness to learn new things and i have been told numerous times by close friends and relatives that i will make a good researcher. I didn't take answers for granted in school and didn't simply accept everything that has been taught, by the end of each lessons, i might end up with more questions than answers. Another thing is i am supportive of those who are held dear to me, i am always ready to be a listener and confidante.

I think the thing I like the most about myself is my laziness and indifference. My laziness allows me to pursue a life where I do minimal efforts for the task I have to do. My indifference makes me care less about the end result which does not make me feel bad about doing the minimal. This results in maximum time to do things that I truly enjoy with minimal stress,worry,....

Phew, took me a while to grab this answer. Thanks for the soul searching.

Edited by FairFamily

• Veterans

There's a few things I like about myself!

I'm proud of that I'm capable of making art and music, and making people happy with the things I make. I'm a people pleaser, and I thrive on it when people tell me they like what I made or if they tell me it made them happy. I put a lot of time and effort in most of my work, and hearing people tell me that it looks/sounds good makes me really glad since it motivates me to keep going. I like that hardworking part of myself, especially considering I can be lazy at times too, so whenever I do work hard on something and the effort pays off, I'm really glad that there's a part of me that makes me push myself to keep working. I rarely ever run out of ideas or inspiration, and being able to constantly produce new ideas is something I'm pretty proud of.

I also like to think that I'm easy to approach, as I can get along with a lot of people. There's only a few types of people I can't really get along with, but other than that I think I'm pretty approachable for most people. I like talking with people, I also like talking with new people, and I want people to feel comfortable around me, so I do my best to do so! I like making people smile and being good company, so that's a goal I've been working to and (hopefully) already achieved.

I'm also happy about that I'm as open minded as I am and that I'm very able to adjust myself to people. Having been bullied for several years of my life, I didn't become bitter but instead very accepting of the people around me, mainly because that way they don't have to feel left out or bad. I'm very open to new ideas and beliefs, and I'm also very accepting towards people who have different a sexuality and/or gender. I'm a good listener too, so I'm almost always there to listen to people's troubles if they have any, and help them out if I can. I'm very grateful that I grew up in an open minded family as well, since I feel like they're part of the reason why I'm very easy with accepting people.

Also, just a side note, but I'm really glad this thread exists because I've been in a slump lately due to a huge amount of stress that piled up from various smaller things and it's been kicking at my self confidence lately, so this post kind of helped me to appreciate myself a bit more.

lksjdflkjasd this post turned out to be so long oh my god i apologize if i came across as vain LOL

I'm proud of my ability to accept critism against my work or opinion.

When you are a creative person, you're bound to get critism against what you've created (whenever it's a drawing or a fictional story in my case). I have recieved quite the messages from people who critise my work. I'm not the kind of person to get angry at this, as I know it's their opinion. This is my golden key for improving my skills. If I never improve, I won't change much. Change is important, whenever you like it or not.

This is rather hard to answer. It's hard to find something I like about myself when having with some self-esteem issues and not wanting to sound super conceited.

If I had to pick any one thing, I'd say it's my honesty. Maybe it's because I've been hurt in the past because of lies, or it might have had something to do with my stepdad forcing honesty down my throat, or maybe I'm just a really bad liar, but I'm that type of person that wants others to know how I feel on certain issues....Okay, I completely forgot where I was going with this, and now I'm trying to be honest with myself on a lot of my issues. It feels...bittersweet, to say the least.

I don't want to bring anyone down with this. I love the idea behind this thread.

I'm proud to know that I like old-school Video games & Anime. Initially, it was odd seeing an ... "out-dated" anime series - but I soon realized that old-anime ( including some old video games ) got class; the storyline is more rich and memorable.

In addition, I proud to say that I like Orchestra and/or Instrumentals - in fact, i prefer "this genre" over regular music with Lyrics. It feels ... almost nostalgia / reminiscent ... even though I don't have any memory of listening to this kinda of music in the past o.0 - as if my Mind doesn't remember, but my Heart does *^-^*

Music such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHzYs162HSk

&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l1u2GMF218

Hmmm... I tend to be the kind of person who kind of downplays their strengths but I'll participate. (Weird, I know)

I have a strong sense of right and wrong and I stick to it. I always try to do what I feel is the right thing, and I am adamant in my beliefs. Nobody's sense of right and wrong is objective, but I stick to what I believe. (Of course things I learn can change this, but I refuse to do something I believe is "wrong) I've been told by a few people that I have a strong sense of integrity, so I must be doing something right. I hope that didn't sound arrogant.

Edited by Personthing

This is a pretty hard question to answer. Hmmm....

I'm proud that I'm a national level martial artist. I'm proud that I'm on my high school's basketball team. I'm proud that I can have a lot of imagination, which then leads me to write lots of stories that I'm really passionate about. I'm proud that I have a diverse curriculum at my high school, where they make you take all the electives you take in a public school in four years of high school. I know, it's intense, but I'm really grateful for a amazing education. :D I'm also really proud that I love anime, manga, and video games. I'm proud that I've been introduced to Pokémon because now I love it.

Um, I guess that's all I can think of for now. I'll add more here if I think of anything.

Edited by Cool Girl

I can say easily that i have a "fearless" humor. and what i mean by that???? I can use everything to achieve the humor which is needed in any occasion, but many times that has as result the anger of the bystanders, but yeah, this is an other site of my "fearless" humor!!!! I can use some words or the voice they used, moves, emotions, memories or situations or even myself, special characteristics of the other person, historic quotes or movie quotes and etc. Of course this is double-edged sword :P !!

Edited by Pausaunias

I'm going to go with the fact that I'm able to put smiles on the faces of people around me, be it far away (through forums or games), or people close to me (or even at work)! How I do this, I have no idea, it just happens when I say stupid things or sub-consciously do the right thing/say the right things?

The brain is a weird thing to have.

I am,,, a creative person.

While I may not always know how to use said creativity to actually produce something; I always have a distant dream; a small shard of a beautiful whole; which drives me to continue to improve myself; which allows me to prepare better fir the next beautiful dream; this basically repeats itself.