• Avalugg
    • Swalot
    • Magnezone

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember the tangrowths being too bad, Abra's hyper beam spam made it an easy target, Muk was a slog but I still won on my first attempt in PT1, second in PT2 (not sure how I did worse on several fights in my second run), Avalugg was kil by curse from dusclops, I think, I don't acutally remember if it had magic guard. Swalot I just remember being an absolute pain without too much detail as to how since I don't remember its ability or moves.

To be perfectly honest, the farthest I've gotten is I think PULSE muk? And my Meowstick just tore that poor bastard apart. By contrast, PULSE tangrowth took me at least two tries every time I fought it. I'm pretty sure I ended up having to use perish song a few times.

• 5 months later...

Moxie Scrafty broke the last PULSE fight for me. My Scrafty had the Fire Fang egg move so by the time the pulse came out it was at +5 attack since it could deal with all their pokemon by itself. So I once shot it.

To be honest I've always had ways to deal with all the Pulses so none have walled me? I think the steelix was harder for me than the Pulses have been. 

On the mono-fossil run however....Tangrowths, Swalot and Avalugg all were pains for me. The Tangrowths, grass/steel is my bane in the early game since I didn't really have anything to take care of them. Swalot and Avalugg were just both tanks and I can't smash tanks easily. Haven't done the latest Pulse on that run yet and I imagine it's gonna be a pain.

Well even though I can't change my vote, I wouldn't change it anyway. In both runs the magnezone was never an issue. It was not because it was weak but rather I was in such advantagous position that the magnezone was irrelevant. In one run my whimsicot had a substitute up while so I could freely leech seed it without problems and then substitute for the win. In an other run I had gardevoir with +6 special attack and + 6 special defense when it entered and OHKO'd it off with a stored power. 

Edited by FairFamily

The Swalot battle was made so much easier by discharge. Tangrowth (the 3rd in particular) was the most difficult. I agree with the first reply here in that the fact you had to battle other difficult-to-beat pokemon on top of that powerful thing, at a point in the game where you don't really have many powerful options, made it so much harder. Before, you could just poison it and keep healing your pokemon or send in something really bulky, but now it can PULSE evolve and becomes a poison type, so that's no longer an option. The only real thing to do is to Acid Spray a couple times (as many times as you can) with Trubbish and then finish it off with a stronger special attack. And now that I said that, Trubbish is probably going to be moved lol

Edited by Tapu Fufu

After another playthrough, I gotta say it's pretty heavily based on team composition. On my first playthrough, pulse swalot didn't give me much trouble, but on my second, nothing on my team could do real damage against it and I had to cheese it with endeavour. Electric moves make a world of difference. 

Tho, I suppose since pulse abra tend to boil down to 'it needs to use hyper beam or I'm screwed', you could say that one was the worst. 

The Tangrowths frustrated me, but I was able to take them out after a couple tries with Trubbish, as Tapu Fufu mentioned.

I don't remember much about Muk, other than the battle took me two tries because of ZEL's other Pokemon. Meowstic obliterated it.

PULSE Abra legitimately made me curse, and forced me to add an entire new Pokemon to my team (Vanilluxe). It got my vote.

I won against Avalugg with Swagger hax from Tauros. If it weren't for that, it probably would have been much more difficult.

Swalot was frustrating at first, because it had been a while since I last played and I forgot I had Vanilluxe & Mirror Coat. The battle became way easier after that.

Magnezone didn't even land a hit on me. It flinched after one SD-boosted Waterfall, so my Samurott two-shotted it.

So far I used protect/heal spam and toxic/toxic spikes to stall out all the pluses, and for Muk I set up a plus six calm mind while facing previous Pokemon on Meowstic and obliterated it. Swallow gave me so much problems that I literally had to PP stall it to struggle with my Roserade since I didn't have psychic type coverage anymore cus I used Sylveon.

I have to say the latest PULSE is actually pretty damn difficult, if only because other than the last tangrowth, you have to face a pretty hard hitting team before it. Doesn't help that it can one shot just about every team member from its absurdly high special attack combined with the field boosts and that you cannot recustomize your team before the fight to make it easier due to how the story plays out. Come with the wrong team to the fight and you are going to have to repeat a decent chunk of the episode to get back to a better position.

Still the tangrowths are bloody difficult though. 

I had the worst luck with Abra. I still had the mentality of regular pokemon games: Brute power and diverse type distribution works always. But Abra's dark pulse was just amazing. I leveled up a cryogonal just for its special defense. Hehehe.

Last Magnezone was such an epic battle, but sadly the AI ruined it. I broke the field with Earthquake (even though it didn't damage Magnezone), after which the terrain gives its magnet bomb that electric type bonus. He kept using it, only sometimes using its hidden power. Since I had Swampert and Mamoswine, that effectively made Magnezone powerless.

In both my runs so far, I've found Tangrowth to be the most difficult simply because my early game teams haven't been suited for the battles against it. On my first run with Mudkip as a starter, I didn't realize that it would mega evolve into a PULSE form, and got destroyed several times since I had no grass type counters at that point.

Other than that though, none of the PULSE pokemon have been that hard since I've had a decent team setup to take them out. I remember Avalugg and Swalot both being super bulky and taking a long time to defeat.

Oh, and I didn't realize that the Pulse Magnezone had levitate, and it swept half my team after I missed an earthquake. It was an easy win the second time though after I realized my mistake.

Overall, I think all the PULSE mon's are good fights, and pretty well balanced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Mods
On 12/12/2016 at 11:33 AM, Zander said:

Wait there is pulse magnezone and camerupt!?  This should be interesting.  Hopefully my greninja and Nidoking will cut it 

PULSE Camerupt isn't battled. 

EDIT: Didn't realize this post was over a week old, I was just looking through my topics and saw this one had some replies I hadn't read. 

The early Pulse battles i found interesting more than hard 

But on the latter ones i kinda went in cheap... My Absol took out Avalug and Swalot with Perish Song. Somehow i think the Swalot would be the hardest for my team (if it weren't for Absol)

Abra was fairly easy cause it tended to use Hyper Beam often and giving me a free turn to hit it. I just took it out with Fire moves and revivng Sturdy Donphan for an EQ in all my playthroughs

And interestingly enough in 2 of my playthroughs against Muk the field would be broken, i'd send in Donphan and Muk repeatedly tried to hit him with Muddy Water but Donhpan was unaffected cause the field made it an Electric type move :P

I just feel like you're accidentally prepared for the latest PULSE because of all the other bullshit you've dealt with. It feels so run of the mill by comparison to the Swalot, at the very least. And that one was sorta easy if you just froze the water and proceeded to Earth Power the ever-loving shit out of it.