• Abra
    • Avalugg
    • Swalot
    • Magnezone

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soak is so broken against Pulse Swalot :), I wonder what other Pulse mons we will battle and what their primary style of fighting will be, Ultra Stall? Murder Machine? Slap-Back-Harder?

We do have trainer pkmn (like guargantuan steelix and pulse abra) and multibattles so why not a double pulse battle? Mr.Mime and clawitzer are in the same city (though not the same power grid) so maybe we can battle them at the same time. That being said I'm not having much hope in the single boss battles since perish song and destiny bond exist.

We do have trainer pkmn (like guargantuan steelix and pulse abra) and multibattles so why not a double pulse battle? Mr.Mime and clawitzer are in the same city (though not the same power grid) so maybe we can battle them at the same time. That being said I'm not having much hope in the single boss battles since perish song and destiny bond exist.

That would be so evil! Double screens from Mr. Mime and hyper offensive by a Clawitzer! I shudder by the thought.

Hmm...I'd have to go with Tangrowth. Being a perfectionist, I built up an armada of perfectly bred and raised pokemon, which had no trouble breezing through most of the PULSE battles. The Tangrowth was the worst for me, because I had only a frogadier with me (granted, I soft reset the starter until I got a Rash one with excellent speed and good offensive IVs, and actually grinded on cherubi and rattata and ekans until I maxed out its EVs) which still couldn't do much to it. I had to use some random things which I never used again, like a pidgeotto and stuff, to get past it. Subsequent expansions to the team made future PULSEs much easier.

• 2 months later...

I was stuck on the first Tangrowth forever. In the middle of grinding my makuhita to oblivion trying to evolve it, I realized how slow that beast was. So I went and got the igglybuff, started the battle and paralyzed it, and the level 5 igglybuff outsped it and I was able to get a parish song off. Cheesy but effective. Haven't made it farther than that but I'm excited/scared.

While I haven't fought either Swalot or Avalugg yet, I'd vote for the PULSE Tangrowth. All of them. My team wasn't that great at the time, and I didn't get the Growlithe until after I beat Tangrowth Round 3 because I didn't know the last missing police officer was in Beryl Library, if I remember correctly.

PULSE Abra did take down about half my team, but I was able to beat it with Arcanine's Flamethrower then (if I remember correctly) Mamoswine's Earthquake.

PULSE Muk was pretty easy. My Gothitelle was my strongest Pokemon at the time of fighting it and had a blast defeating it.

Swallot isn't probably all that difficult, but the fact that my team has literally only Ampharos to counter a Water/Poison type made the fight a nightmare, merely because I was too stubborn to backtrack and add a new member to my team. So I literally clashed my head against this wall until I beat it by stalling with Roserade and Ampharos, because Blaziken, Gyarados, Sylveon and Azumaril simply couldn't touch it.

Edited by Tartar

Swalot ended up being pretty easy on the fifth try or so, once I changed up my strategy and got lucky. Paralyze him, switch in a Water Absorb Cacturne and then Needle Arm flinch/paralyze him to death. In general I find the Tangrowth fights harder, simply because of the much shallower pool of Pokemon and moves available for your team.

It's the PULSE Swalot. Considering it's Water Absorb, the healing from poison and my team it was definitely the hardest.

It took 11 tries,3 Gardevoirs (Yes,3,used two revives) and a very healthy Graveler.

Others were pretty easy though,atleast with meowstic with his psychic.

Ahh i didn't have any particular dificulties with PULSE battles so idk

I guess PULSE Swalot WOULD have been the hardest but at that point I already had my Absol with Perish Song so i didn't really struggle with it.

PS: that's like the first time i ever used a Perish Song strategy :P

Dunno for me pulse swalot was always the easiest boss, in both of my runs.

1st run i just slept it with butterfree, set up quiver dance and kiled it with dream eater.

2nd run i did the same thing with venomoth and psychic

Once more to reiterate. PULSE Swallot is NOT a difficult boss fight. It just happened that 4/6 members of my team could be OHKO'd by it and the other 2 dealt around 1/6 damage to it each turn. And since it healed itself up every turn I had to spam attack that took off around 1/10 of its health every turn.

For me it's Abra and Swalot. Abra is pretty much guaranteed to OHKO your Pokemon with Hyper Beam, so you gotta hit it hard and fast before it's too late (I wonder how many dents that thing can put in a Nuzlocke run). Swalot wasn't that difficult for me, but I was lucky I came in with two Electric-types and some bulky Pokemon. If I didn't have that, it probably would've wrecked me.

I don't remember any of the Tangrowth battles giving me particular problems, except maybe during the double battle with Taka, but that's only because I was dealing with more than just Tangrowth. Otherwise I was usually carrying around a good Fire-type, either my starter (Combusken OP) or Magby when it was available. In my old Dark monotype run I probably just Screeched it enough times where I Mightyena'd it to death, so somehow I pulled through even then.

Having played through a couple times now, I must say that dealing with the Abra without my beloved Arcanine was a challenge. Other than that, most of the PULSEs never gave me trouble.

Muk, Avalugg, and Swalot were pretty forgettable for me. I can only assume that the latter two will give my mono-Grass run trouble, but Muk wasn't as hard as I'd expected, as it only took a few tries and I can't even recall my strategy for it; meaning I probably didn't need to do anything too extraordinary besides get good luck with the AI.

The experience of doing a mono-Grass playthrough taught me that the Tangrowths are pretty pathetic if you have a Quilladin. It just spammed Acid Spray and got blocked by Bulletproof. Ah, I love finding ways to cheese AI...

That fr*ing Chatot on the other hand, is worse than any PULSE.

That fr*ing Chatot on the other hand, is worse than any PULSE.

The bane of my mono-Bug run, Taka's godforsaken Chatot. Even when I finally outsped the thing with my Galvantula I couldn't OHKO it, so here comes the RNG train of confusion! I had less trouble with freaking Cal.

I started with Charmander who learns Dragon Rage early, and no Tangrowth lived more than a Muk would have.

My hardest pulse battle was Abra, and Abra alone. Hyper Beam spam was oneshotting everything and i had no Ghost/Rock/Steel types

Edited by DemICE

Abra consistently destroyed me. I think the main problem was that most of my Pokemon were offense-oriented and the only Pokemon I had that were defensive were weak to its attacks. And Hyper Beam. That free turn hardly made a difference

I had to try at least five times. I don't even remember exactly how I beat it, but I believe it was through sheer luck alone.

The other PULSEs didn't give me half as much trouble as Abra, though that's probably because they are much slower.

Tangrowth was a pain every single time I fought him because I ran a more water/electric oriented team. Just getting done with my first play through of the game it had me thinking of possible ways to beat each Pulse in the cheapest way possible. My conclusion is to find a pokemon with the sturdy ability and spam potions on it to stall out till struggle. Want it to have lower health than a potion? ok spam common candies on the sucker till it is level 1 and boom immortal wall of lolz. Not even Arceus can stop it if you have enough potions.

1) Abra

2) Tangrowth

3)Swalot

4) Muk

5) Avalugg

Grrrr, all you lucky players with your Abras that use Hyper Beam. It usually spammed Dark Pulse and one other move if I remember correctly. It took me ages to finally get it to use hyper beam, and until then it ripped my poor team to shreds. As for the rest...The first fight with Tangrowth caught me off guard. Then I had an easy time with the other battles with Tangrowth.

As for the rest...Swalot, Muk, and Avalugg fell pretty quickly to Shadow, the God of all Arcanines.

I haven't got that far, but I actually found Tangrowth pretty easy with a little bit of planning?

The first one fell pretty quickly to my Croconaw's Sheer Force Ice Fang

Second one fell the same way after a few Leer's and Screech's were thrown at it

Third met a similar fate as the second.