[Spoilers] E16 Status Discussion

Amethyst

@ ICSW, I can assure you nobody will think lowly of you if you decide not to reply. As every conversation ultimately comes to an end, not everyone feels this urge to reply everytime someone makes a comment on a specific matter. It is an urge you need to battle yourself. If the discussion goes that way, and you do not wish to be part of it, abstain from commenting. It's not about you anyway. You are just the only one supporting the other side, in fact with the sole argument that you don't consider any of what is aready mentioned as reliable or part of the same universe.

As for the pokedex entries, exaggeration and writing down observations are two different things. Sure, a 10yo trainer could touch a Magcargo, feel the burn and instantly rage about how the pokemon is hotter than the sun. At the same time, for a person to note down the diet of a certain pokemon, they must have seen it hunt down and feast upon its prey. This is a non-realistic environment with animals that have such abilities they can decimate a normal planet, so parts of it are bound to be illogical and not follow their real counterparts (if any). There is not going to be explicit note about it, and no NPC from a main series game will make direct dialogue about it, but hints can drop at any time. The reason they won't is due to the target audience; children. One could imagine the all feast on berries or nothing at all. Others could spot clues here and there and decide it's not really different. I first knew about it when in Gen1 I spoke with a chef in SS Anne who made an omelette. Nevertheless, one could make a different thread discussing the dietary preferences of various pokemon families and move the discussion there.

Then there's the anatomical references in the Pokédex. Sure, there may be some entries that go to round numbers, but Flareon's was probably done by a professional researcher.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the protagonist is just a dream/story of some kid who lives in the slums of reborn and wants to fight the injustice but can't because they're only 9 and not old enough to have a pokemon?

I think I stepped in Mr.Bigglesworth when walking out of the cave after beating him....It'll never come out.

The having to be 10 to own pokemon rule only exists in the anime, kids as young as being in preschool have shown to own pokemon in the games.

I don't believe that Pokemon eat other Pokemon. (Pokedex entries aren't a legitimate source of information in my eyes because of how exaggerated and sometimes contradictory they are, like how some entries say Slugma doesn't sleep but Emerald's says it sleeps near magma) If a Pokemon was ever shown or directly stated to eat another Pokemon I'd stop playing the series altogether.

(I actually don't believe death is real to begin with which is why I go out of my way to not use words like kill and death when possible, but that's another subject)

EDIT: Sorry I was catching up and just saw your later posts. Its my fault for getting ahead of things.

Considering how most Pokedex entries are likely made by trainers who would not have any scientific way nor desire to check everything precisely, yeah, Pokedex entries are far from a reliable source of information. (I also don't believe that Pokemon are killed in any battles unless explicitly shown or stated, like with Kiki's Medicham)

I always thought they were made by the professors as nothing in the dex entries implies the PC wrote them and the entries has been used in game and in the manga. (example a Hypno trying to kidnap a young girl if FRLG)

Edited by The Swordsman

I just want to say this once that due to this being a "blog" about EP16's development, there are going to be quite a number of people visiting this page. Not everyone is vocal so if one person is getting uncomfortable with a topic, there are likely others who aren't voicing themselves feel the same way. That's merely all I'll say on the matter.

I have a feeling that this new field effect is going to correlate to the Desert. Titania doesn't really have a field effect that suits her and I predict the other field will be for Lin. We know Lin is a dragon mono wielder so both her and Saphira sharing the same field would make them a bit too much alike. Though Cal and Charlotte share the same field, but Charlotte does focus on making it a burning field. The rest of the Leader/Mono users are pretty easy to figure out what that field is.

As for Adrienn's field, Ame may or may not have said something in E15's development which was kind of interesting to note. I don't know if Ame remained true to that, but we'll just have to wait and see.

How do you all feel about the distribution of fields in the game? I love the fields and some of them have awesome effects, but it seems like some are introduced so suddenly.

There are a few great examples of getting you used to a field then giving you a boss battle with it. These give you a chance to learn and play around with the fields on your own and develop a strategy to deal with it. Like with Terra's world, being foreshadowed in Ametrine, as well as the whole area training you to use it. Apophyll and the volcano give you chances to get used to Ashen beach and Super-Heated. As well as many others.

Some fields you can't really get used to and there's little you can do to avoid it such as the Big Top field since those don't have any prior opportunities to use them. But by then you are used to how field effects work.

But then there are things like Julia's field. We spend the entire first part of the game getting introduced to our first field effect, the Factory. We battle team meteor through it, have a boss battle, and even battle Julia's gym trainers in the Factory field. Then we immediately have to learn all the ins and outs of the Electric charged field with only Ame's guidance to help you. Which just isn't as good as first hand experience. Similar things can be said of Florina with the desert field. With so much of the game having good foreshadowing it is strange to have the first two gyms just throw you straight into things.

It seems like it would be a lot easier for new players if they could have opportunity to use fields like electric and desert before throwing them into a boss. Maybe make Julia's trainers use the field as well? In Florina's gym there are also a ton of empty battle fields that are used in lessons. As well as Quiz questions about field effects. It would be cool to see some field effects on these plain fields to foreshadow later points in the game. (Especially the desert).

I also remember reading that will be getting an in-game field manual we can carry around in a future episode? If we have that then we would no longer need the upper floor of the library explaining each field. Making even more sense to use some of those fields in Florina's gym area.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, some fields feel like a missed opportunity such as the Swamp field. We spend an entire island fighting through a swamp only to spend two boss battles in a factory and never see the field again (so far). It seems as though we could have maybe just battled Aster and Eclipse outside then maybe battled Taka inside. Just to get one last use out of a very interesting field.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, some fields feel like a missed opportunity such as the Swamp field. We spend an entire island fighting through a swamp only to spend two boss battles in a factory and never see the field again (so far). It seems as though we could have maybe just battled Aster and Eclipse outside then maybe battled Taka inside. Just to get one last use out of a very interesting field.

Totally agree with most of what you said, I think the first and second gym fields, while not as intrusive or hard to get around like, say, the chess field, were rushed.

Speaking to this last point though, I have this nagging feeling that we'll be going back to Azurine Island, at the least for a sidequest, at the most for some kind of story element. Especially since the water is all fixed now it seems like one of the most impacted areas, after all. Maybe swamp WILL have its final use, who knows?

@Zane, that argument for not needing the library is actually kind of ludicrous when you think about. There's is both a text doc in the game itself as well as the field effect guides on the site so...we should totally get rid of them since nobody no longer uses them. Sarcasm aside, I probably use a mix of both the site as well as text file to decide teams and team designing since well there's a lot of information that I flip between and bulbapedia. I'd actually more than likely argue the ability to look up field effects mid battle is redundant and merely caters to no offense, the lesser skilled and newer players than of actual use.

As for the field effect distribution, I feel it's the exact opposite in a way. We hardly even make use of field effects outside of boss battles, but really only the leaders make full use out of them (ie Taka only has Tangrowth for field use). Ame gives you details on the leader and the field ahead of time and then you get to see a field showcased on what it can do. Bosses generally have skills or abilities the player has not seen so it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. I mean look at the crystal field and how it's really only been showcased on a really easy battle (well and that other battle).

On the opposite end of the spectrum, some fields feel like a missed opportunity such as the Swamp field. We spend an entire island fighting through a swamp only to spend two boss battles in a factory and never see the field again (so far).

Have you SEEN Radomus' Castle???

If only we could burn down that castle or cause an earthquake for it to slide down the cliff it's on.

If you ever wanted to learn how to catch a talon flame.

90% Already? Time can't fly but if it did.

b84e6ae81c898087d3c309fdd6f67bb0.image.3

Edited by PokeFailure

• Developers
I have a feeling that this new field effect is going to correlate to the Desert. Titania doesn't really have a field effect that suits her and I predict the other field will be for Lin. We know Lin is a dragon mono wielder so both her and Saphira sharing the same field would make them a bit too much alike. Though Cal and Charlotte share the same field, but Charlotte does focus on making it a burning field. The rest of the Leader/Mono users are pretty easy to figure out what that field is.

As for Adrienn's field, Ame may or may not have said something in E15's development which was kind of interesting to note. I don't know if Ame remained true to that, but we'll just have to wait and see.

You know there already is a "Desert Field" - so far it's used only in Flobot's gym. I can't remember any other place. I figured Titania will probably use either Flobot's Desert or Shade's Factory field (since she uses steel type).

As for Adrienn my prediction is Misty terrain.

The conversation is over. Any further mention of it will result in warnings.

I have nobody else to ask this to so I'll probably get a warning for this but can I make a separate topic about this somewhere else on this site? It highly interests me but I understand if it wouldn't be allowed, although it is Pokemon related. Sorry if it seems I'm doing this for a bad reason, that's not my intention.

I have nobody else to ask this to so I'll probably get a warning for this but can I make a separate topic about this somewhere else on this site? It highly interests me but I understand if it wouldn't be allowed, although it is Pokemon related. Sorry if it seems I'm doing this for a bad reason, that's not my intention.

I actually encourage people to make new topics instead of letting it die like usual and in fact go for it. We just wanted it dead IN THIS TOPIC due to breaking the off-topic rule hard.

@baldr: Julia more or less confirmed her gym field is not the Desert and its highly unlikely it'll be the factory field since both Sigmund and Shade use that field. I mean I predicted this thing I'm thinking of would be a field effect since like episode 13.

a quicksand type of field would make sense, especially if it slowed down the movements of grounded pokemon as most steel types that are grounded don't make much use of high speed, also being sand it could easily block fire, absorb water (water because god damn the number of steel types with a secondary type weak to water) and nullify ground moves due to no secure solid surface, if there was such a field im sure a move of some kind could change it to the ash sand field thing which would turn the tables on steel types taking advantage of the field

Only, like 20% of ground types are weak to water (okay that's still a bit). Taking into account that Titania's team will be something as Scizor, Aegislash, Metagross, Bastiodon(maybe this one is Hardy's), Excadrill (was this Terra's), Ferrothorn, Bisharp (I'm just throwing names around now)?

We have already seen Titania use Aegislash, Excadrill and Skarmory, plus I heard that it's likely she will have a Scizor. As for the other two mons of hers, that's still up for debate.

I can picture Titania having a Scizor, but for some reason she strikes me more as a Steelix or Aggron type of gal -- and they might even be Mega'd just to mess with us. She'd probably want some extra coverage for her Fire weakness, so Steelix/Aggron could help out Excadrill with that. (Empoleon is another possibility, but I don't think she'd be caught dead with a... not-too-ferocious-looking mon.) She already has her Fighting weakness covered with Aegislash and Skarmory, but she could also bring a Metagross in there.

• Veterans

I can picture Titania having a Scizor, but for some reason she strikes me more as a Steelix or Aggron type of gal -- and they might even be Mega'd just to mess with us. She'd probably want some extra coverage for her Fire weakness, so Steelix/Aggron could help out Excadrill with that. (Empoleon is another possibility, but I don't think she'd be caught dead with a... not-too-ferocious-looking mon.) She already has her Fighting weakness covered with Aegislash and Skarmory, but she could also bring a Metagross in there.

She'll most likely have Scizor. It was her ace in the league after all...

The funny thing with a field that dampens Ground-type moves is that both Steel- and the Fire-types that would counter them would both benefit from it. It'd sure be interesting to see what sort of crazy field effect would handle a weakness that both sides share. Though, the same effect that would dampen Ground-type moves would probably also dampen Fighting-types -- sand is soft and unstable after all.

I wouldn't rule out Empoleon as it can offer type coverage and I could also imagine Amaria encouraging her to get a water type, similar to what she did for Cain at Coral.

An aggron might be useful for her too.

Its special defense would benefit from the sandstorm and its rock typing + headsmash would crush most fire types. In fact, a head smash from aggron would probably kill most non-resistant pokemon in 1-shot.

Plus, if the field reduces the damage from ground and water, it would only be really weak to fighting.

He's also pretty badass which would go well with Titania.

• Administrators

How do you all feel about the distribution of fields in the game? I love the fields and some of them have awesome effects, but it seems like some are introduced so suddenly.

I also remember reading that will be getting an in-game field manual we can carry around in a future episode?

You raise good points and I agree with many of them. Although I don't wish at this point to go back and change all of that, it would have been nice for the swamp to see more use. However, it mainly exists because it's based off of a canon thing.

I think it is okay that some fields are rare, some are player-only, some are environment-only, some are boss-only. To me, this feels like a natural variety.

That app you're referencing is in E16. I hope it helps some of these concerns.

I want the ability to have our own unique Field...

I don't know about "unique" but there are an increasing number of things that the player can create and play with, especially with Amplifield Rock in the mix now.

didnt end up getting to mapping as quickly as i wanted cuz there was more than i thought. but, totally done with otherdungeon now. now i can focus.

i also totally forgot to post the thing, but like, whatever. fine....