[Spoilers] E16 Status Discussion

Amethyst

As for the next leader, the fight in the Blacksteam Factory happened a long time ago. Gym Leaders are supposed to be training their pokemon and constantly trying to get stronger. It wouldn't be out of the question for Amaria's pokemon to be even a little bit stronger since then(even if Amaria spent a bit of that time unconscious in the Water Treatment Plant). Not only that, but Adrienn was introduced late, so xyr battle could be anywhere in the last 5, really.

While Amaria could still come next, it would make more sense to battle Adrienn next because we'll be going back to the city. Adrienn has been renovating Reborn City, so we'll likely see more areas open to us, and more story too. None of the other 4 remaining leaders are in Reborn City, or have any immediate reason to be there right now, so Adrienn is the most likely leader to come next.

I agree with you completely, personally i don't want to speculate on the gym leader or anything like that but... your right since amethyst is taking so much time and effort (YOU GO GIRL YEEEH, god i hope you are a girl cuz otherwise i just insulted the **** out of you) into remapping/remaking reborn city, and the only gym in reborn itself that we haven't destroyed is... qq the fairy gym that was destroyed.

why the qq you ask? cuz *pointing at picture* i love scrafty and i've used him in every gym. but in this one i'd have to be a fool too...

well... having started 3-4 weeks ago i cant say i've been waiting as long as some or that i nearly as hyped but... i'm looking forward to it which is something that i havent in a long time for a game...

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the next leader, the fight in the Blacksteam Factory happened a long time ago. Gym Leaders are supposed to be training their pokemon and constantly trying to get stronger. It wouldn't be out of the question for Amaria's pokemon to be even a little bit stronger since then(even if Amaria spent a bit of that time unconscious in the Water Treatment Plant). Not only that, but Adrienn was introduced late, so xyr battle could be anywhere in the last 5, really.

While Amaria could still come next, it would make more sense to battle Adrienn next because we'll be going back to the city. Adrienn has been renovating Reborn City, so we'll likely see more areas open to us, and more story too. None of the other 4 remaining leaders are in Reborn City, or have any immediate reason to be there right now, so Adrienn is the most likely leader to come next.

It has always been my interpretation that Gym Leaders don't use their strongest Pokemon in official gym fights. Otherwise, Julia deserves a promotion ASAP :)

Also, Amaria is just as feasible as Adrienn to be the E16 leader. Her gym is just an HM Fly away at this point, and historically gym fights have been in different locations than where the episode plots take place (ie. the pre-Luna plot is in 7th street but the gym is all the way over in the crystal valley).

You misinterpreted Shade's cryptic BS, much like 99% of Reborn players did. Shade didn't say they were "fake", he said that only 2 of the visions foreshadowed would result in death.

Corey is an exception to this because his already happened before you saw it in the Abandoned Powerplant, so it was never "foreshadowed".

Shade's exact words were, "Four screens foretold four souls' fortune forsaken,

For, forsooth, from foreshadowed, only two will be taken."

Why would he say that all four were foretold if Corey's already happened?

Unless the fourth that is being foreshadowed is actually Titania?

(or garchomp, hue)

Sounds like we're just reading into the wording too much.

Edited by Foamy

Why would he say that all four were foreshadowed if Corey's already happened?

(or garchomp, hue)

Perhaps, although I am eager to see what the last screen is about.

How crazy would it be if Kiki didn't actually die and is one of the other gym leaders working for meteor? it seems impossible, but it's just a crazy thought

(or garchomp, hue)

Just cause we saw the screens only after what happened with Corey doesn't mean that's when the videos(?) were recorded, it would've been foretold if they were created(?) before it happened.

My interpretation is that it doesn't Corey because it talks about fortunes being taken, not lost. Corey didn't really have his taken, he himself chose to throw it away.

I certainly hope Julias team in Ep15 isn't the one she uses against normal trainers now lol. Otherwise no one is getting badges.

You know, Sirius has been in so man battles under different circumstances, its kinda hard to gauge his power. In the beginning he took on Florina and Julia, and if they were using serious teams, not gym teams, that means he was already really tough. Then we fight him in either Yureu or the Tanzan Cove. In both cases he team doesn't seem too strong. But both times he was hindered. Yureu we had Cain team up with us so maybe they lowered the levels of his pokes to represent that he was at a disadvantage two vs one. In Tanzan he claims his pokes were already weakened by Sapphira. So, it seems as though we've never really had a serious (lol) battle with him.

• Developers

Whether the gym leaders are or aren't using their strongest mons is one of the few times I always just thought you had to sort of suspend your disbelief. I'm talking mainly about the times you team up with Shelly/Aya and their teams seem to be growing at a reasonable rate from when you battled them. Or, probably more important, Corey (And maybe Terra, if you want to assume they all have teams higher than her level?)

Mainly Corey. If he had a stronger team, I think it's safe to say he would have used it, at least in the route where you rescue all the police. Because at that point it's not about a badge. Plus the emotional bond he had with all those pokemon. I'd say it's safe to say that's the extent of Corey's team, and seeing as it'd be weird to have one exception, all the leaders PROBABLY use their strongest team at the time of you battling.

What I'm trying to say is, unless I'm missing something, it's probably best to not think of the connotations of how strong Rini & Julia have gotten.

You know, Sirius has been in so man battles under different circumstances, its kinda hard to gauge his power. In the beginning he took on Florina and Julia, and if they were using serious teams, not gym teams, that means he was already really tough. Then we fight him in either Yureu or the Tanzan Cove. In both cases he team doesn't seem too strong. But both times he was hindered. Yureu we had Cain team up with us so maybe they lowered the levels of his pokes to represent that he was at a disadvantage two vs one. In Tanzan he claims his pokes were already weakened by Sapphira. So, it seems as though we've never really had a serious (lol) battle with him.

Sirius's levels are probably more a reflection of the game's mechanics than the plot itself; if your mons are only in their 50s (or whatever they were at the time) it hardly makes sense to fight Sirius with a level 80 team.

That said, he strikes me as being more of a shifty, manipulative opportunist than a strong fighter. It has been made clear he's not very fond of Solaris, so I doubt he'd report to Solaris if he was strong enough to defy him.

You're right though to say he's been disadvantaged in both possible fights against him.

(or garchomp, hue)

I think the purpose of Corey being in the screen was so we, the players, could initially recognize that the screens were referring to characters we'd meet. Speculating on Shades use of "foretold" is likely just an error in semantics.

Worth noting, however, is there are actually FIVE screens in Shades gym; the fifth one in Rotom's room has Sigmund in it (as well as Corey again).

Edited by GenOneRaisedGenY

Whether the gym leaders are or aren't using their strongest mons is one of the few times I always just thought you had to sort of suspend your disbelief. I'm talking mainly about the times you team up with Shelly/Aya and their teams seem to be growing at a reasonable rate from when you battled them. Or, probably more important, Corey (And maybe Terra, if you want to assume they all have teams higher than her level?)

Mainly Corey. If he had a stronger team, I think it's safe to say he would have used it, at least in the route where you rescue all the police. Because at that point it's not about a badge. Plus the emotional bond he had with all those pokemon. I'd say it's safe to say that's the extent of Corey's team, and seeing as it'd be weird to have one exception, all the leaders PROBABLY use their strongest team at the time of you battling.

What I'm trying to say is, unless I'm missing something, it's probably best to not think of the connotations of how strong Rini & Julia have gotten.

Well, only Ame can truly clarify what's what.

However, Corey was under the tight control of Team Meteor, so he probably didn't have access to stronger Pokemon. Also, in the route where you rescue all the officers, he does release a metric ton of poisonous gas into the air you breath.

Perhaps, although I am eager to see what the last screen is about.

How crazy would it be if Kiki didn't actually die and is one of the other gym leaders working for meteor? it seems impossible, but it's just a crazy thought

Kiki is definitely dead. Her real life reborn league counterpart died (which is why Kiki dies in game) so I really don't see Ame randomly bringing her back to life.

• Developers

Well, only Ame can truly clarify what's what.

However, Corey was under the tight control of Team Meteor, so he probably didn't have access to stronger Pokemon. Also, in the route where you rescue all the officers, he does release a metric ton of poisonous gas into the air you breath.

True enough, and I imagine she'll remain tight lipped on the matter.

Still, him being a Meteor agent should if anything give him STRONGER pokemon. I mean, c'mon, he WAS an Admin judging by the police discussions. Plus come on, he was a gym leader regardless. And he more or less wanted to kill you by the time of the battle, if he had stronger pokemon, he'd use 'em. And it feels weird if it just so happens he's one exception.

I kind of want to clear up one misconception about Team Meteor members and strength and I will do it with a few facts. First off, the strength of your Pokemon has little to do with your ranking. Look at ZEL. They had like lv 20 Pokemon but they were somewhat higher ranked than the grunts. That would solve all problems except for Corey's Pokemon, but due to something else. IIRC, the memo said Corey defeated Sirius so either he lost his stronger Pokemon or Sirius was a bit weaker back them (I'm leaning more on the latter).

As for Corey not having a stronger team, think about it, why would he need it? He didn't grind his Pokemon as that could put him in a risky position on both sides as Ame and the league might take note and Meteor might eventually kill him. Kind of easier to just do your job with what you have. Julia and Florinia are easier to explain. They were more thank likely running their gym leader teams at the time as seen by Noel, a gym leader challenge can take place anywhere. The only Pokemon that this doesn't apply to is their aces. I believe that is more of an example of them holding back as they are required to use that Pokemon in any fight. The other Pokemon are possibly newly trained ones for the sole purpose of fighting in the gym.

Why is this important? Think about it. Sirius said he could take on those two but not all 4. That's because Julia and Florinia only have one major threat with them. It would've been a team of 45s against two Lv 30-75 Pokemon and it would be very difficult to target all of them without taking a lot of blows. Basically, we'd be fodder/setting up moves while Julia and Florinia dealt the major damage which is why Sirius said he couldn't win. Another thing is that Sirius is hardly about strength and more of playing dirty or bending rules. It's a big reason why we never fight him due to what he does (such as take Aya hostage instead of trying to battle the player).

I don't know if that's all correct, but it's the best answer I could think up of to explain that plot gap.

• Developers

I kind of want to clear up one misconception about Team Meteor members and strength and I will do it with a few facts. First off, the strength of your Pokemon has little to do with your ranking. Look at ZEL. They had like lv 20 Pokemon but they were somewhat higher ranked than the grunts. That would solve all problems except for Corey's Pokemon, but due to something else. IIRC, the memo said Corey defeated Sirius so either he lost his stronger Pokemon or Sirius was a bit weaker back them (I'm leaning more on the latter).

As for Corey not having a stronger team, think about it, why would he need it? He didn't grind his Pokemon as that could put him in a risky position on both sides as Ame and the league might take note and Meteor might eventually kill him. Kind of easier to just do your job with what you have. Julia and Florinia are easier to explain. They were more thank likely running their gym leader teams at the time as seen by Noel, a gym leader challenge can take place anywhere. The only Pokemon that this doesn't apply to is their aces. I believe that is more of an example of them holding back as they are required to use that Pokemon in any fight. The other Pokemon are possibly newly trained ones for the sole purpose of fighting in the gym.

Why is this important? Think about it. Sirius said he could take on those two but not all 4. That's because Julia and Florinia only have one major threat with them. It would've been a team of 45s against two Lv 30-75 Pokemon and it would be very difficult to target all of them without taking a lot of blows. Basically, we'd be fodder/setting up moves while Julia and Florinia dealt the major damage which is why Sirius said he couldn't win. Another thing is that Sirius is hardly about strength and more of playing dirty or bending rules. It's a big reason why we never fight him due to what he does (such as take Aya hostage instead of trying to battle the player).

I don't know if that's all correct, but it's the best answer I could think up of to explain that plot gap.

Honestly, I hadn't considered it like that. That the lower levels on Aces are perhaps signs of holding back rather than actual weaker pokemon.

So thinking like that, Corey is the only leader we know for sure we've fought at full strength? It still doesn't sit quite right with me that he's so much weaker than every other leader for no discernable reason and still has his job. I mean, you could argue he held back with Crobat, given that it lasted basically your entire battle against Taka & ZEL against Heather's Salamence which is probably Level 100. Although I think is something you can reasonably accept as just happening without upping Crobat's levels, especially when he has no real reason to hold back.

Eh, Corey may not sit right with me, but generally, your explanation seems to make way more sense than anything I came up with

We know gym leaders are ranked in Reborn because Charlotte initially refuses to fight you citing her rank, and Julia mentions at the end of E15 that she's the first leader for most of the league's challengers. (Also, they were ranked in the online Reborn League).

My impression is gym leaders simply need to have, at a minimum, a team that can defend their rank - but that's not to say some leaders can't also have Pokemon that exceed their rank. In Corey's case, he probably only met the minimum requirement. He only became a poison expert because of his confrontation with Sirius anyways. However some leaders, like Julia and Florina, are obviously stronger than their Gym rank but, for whatever reason, they choose to fight official matches at a lower level. They could easily have more than one Electrode or Cradily in their overall collection.

We know that experienced trainers sometimes like to "start over" with weaker Pokemon - Cain and Victoria being two examples. In fact, it's implied in-game that the protagonist was previously a strong trainer from another region before coming to Reborn.

With level caps in place in Reborn, gym matches with lower level Pokemon aren't any less respectable than those with strong Pokemon because it all boils down to strategy.

On the other hand, confrontations with Meteor are all about business, so leaders like Julia and Flo aren't going to mess around.

Edited by GenOneRaisedGenY

My interpretation of these words is following: Souls' fortune is the human body a soul occupies. By forsaken, Shade means those who abandon their body like for example those who commit suicide and really die (not like Amaria who survived). And a soul is bounded to the human body until it loses it's function of sustaining life (Life being a symbioses between soul (psychic part) and human body (Physical part)), in other words a soul can only escape from a body by physically damaging it, by death. Otherwise, suicide would be useless because a soul could just vanish from it's human body. That's what I think xD.

Therefore, I guess that it won't be just 2 people out of 4 dying like many think, but it will be 2 of those "forsaken" bodies being "taken" (collected) by Shade (Like what happened to Corey). Kiki is dead, but I didn't see Shade collect the body because she didn't commit suicide. So I think there will be one more person committing suicide, and there's now only one screen left out of the 4 Shade mentioned :)

Anyway, there's still one thing intriguing me and it's Shade. I don't see what he could possibly do with a human body. We see that he has a Gengar named Corey in his team, but it would make more sense for me if Corey's soul is trapped in the Pokemon. Shade could also mean, that the souls itselves will be taken instead of it's "forsaken fortunes", but then I wouldn't see the point in him collecting the bodies.

And now I'm trapped and I don't know how to continue my reflection as well as where I could correct it in order to see the logic in it again xD

Edited by Soprano

We know gym leaders are ranked in Reborn because Charlotte initially refuses to fight you citing her rank, and Julia mentions at the end of E15 that she's the first leader for most of the league's challengers. (Also, they were ranked in the online Reborn League).

My impression is gym leaders simply need to have, at a minimum, a team that can defend their rank - but that's not to say some leaders can't also have Pokemon that exceed their rank. In Corey's case, he probably only met the minimum requirement. He only became a poison expert because of his confrontation with Sirius anyways. However some leaders, like Julia and Florina, are obviously stronger than their Gym rank but, for whatever reason, they choose to fight official matches at a lower level. They could easily have more than one Electrode or Cradily in their overall collection.

We know that experienced trainers sometimes like to "start over" with weaker Pokemon - Cain and Victoria being two examples. In fact, it's implied in-game that the protagonist was previously a strong trainer from another region before coming to Reborn.

With level caps in place in Reborn, gym matches with lower level Pokemon aren't any less respectable than those with strong Pokemon because it all boils down to strategy.

On the other hand, confrontations with Meteor are all about business, so leaders like Julia and Flo aren't going to mess around.

Honestly, this makes the most sense to me. The other line of logic that one could take is the line that the Pokemon Origins anime took: Gym leaders have different teams based on how many badges you have. Florinia and Julia's teams for example, could vary from what we see in her first gym battle, to how strong she was when we fought alongside her in Episode 15, all depending on how many badges you had. The only issue with this is that we DO indeed have explicit confirmation of rankings amongst the leaders, which kind of throws a wrench into that theory.

On the other hand, perhaps it's something along the lines of that Charlotte(or any of the Orphanage children, for that matter)hasn't had enough time to train some lower level Pokemon to challenge Trainers with less badges, and thus to prevent an utter curbstomp, cites her rank to give us some time to get stronger. Think about it: after being rescued from the Orphanage, when was the last time she had a chance to sit down, catch some new Fire types, and train them? Hasn't really been a good spot to do so, has there? Contrast with Julia and Florinia: After we take down Florinia's gym, we pretty much haven't heard from her or Julia again until Episode 15, really. Given that they're probably taking care of their own business, or handling small scale Team Meteor attacks, they have at least SOME time to not only A)Train, but B)Capture some lower level Pokemon of their respective types to help out.

As for Corey, I'm gonna cheat and cite the same logic as I did for Charlotte. He's probably been busy with not only Team Meteor business, but also finding ways to get back at them for what they did to his wife. Corey was a vengeful man, and there's no doubt a lot of his waking time that wasn't spent caring for his Pokemon or dealing with Team Meteor's shenanigans, was spent finding ways to exact his revenge. That doesn't leave much time to capture new Poison types, nor train his current ones, now does it?

My interpretation of these words is following: Souls' fortune is the human body a soul occupies. By forsaken, Shade means those who abandon their body like for example those who commit suicide and really die (not like Amaria who survived). And a soul is bounded to the human body until it loses it's function of sustaining life (Life being a symbioses between soul (psychic part) and human body (Physical part)), in other words a soul can only escape from a body by physically damaging it, by death. Otherwise, suicide would be useless because a soul could just vanish from it's human body. That's what I think xD.

Therefore, I guess that it won't be just 2 people out of 4 dying like many think, but it will be 2 of those "forsaken" bodies being "taken" (collected) by Shade (Like what happened to Corey). Kiki is dead, but I didn't see Shade collect the body because she didn't commit suicide. So I think there will be one more person committing suicide, and there's now only one screen left out of the 4 Shade mentioned :)

Anyway, there's still one thing intriguing me and it's Shade. I don't see what he could possibly do with a human body. We see that he has a Gengar named Corey in his team, but it would make more sense for me if Corey's soul is trapped in the Pokemon. Shade could also mean, that the souls itselves will be taken instead of it's "forsaken fortunes", but then I wouldn't see the point in him collecting the bodies.

And now I'm trapped and I don't know how to continue my reflection as well as where I could correct it in order to see the logic in it again xD

An interesting theory. My guess is that "taken" is referring to "fortune" not their souls. Now the question is, what would the fortune of a soul be? Corey's fortune would be Heather, Kiki's would likely be Apophyll, Amaria and Titania IDK, and Lin IDK.

EDIT: Shade never said those people died. He said the screens foretold fortunes forsaken, meaning that could be the point at which they lost whatever was the fortune, not merely their death. Hence why Amaria and Titania were shown, but neither died at that point.

Edited by Dragon116

An interesting theory. My guess is that "taken" is referring to "fortune" not their souls. Now the question is, what would the fortune of a soul be? Corey's fortune would be Heather, Kiki's would likely be Apophyll, Amaria and Titania IDK, and Lin IDK.

EDIT: Shade never said those people died. He said the screens foretold fortunes forsaken, meaning that could be the point at which they lost whatever was the fortune, not merely their death. Hence why Amaria and Titania were shown, but neither died at that point.

Wow, I didn't think that way and I must say your interpretation would perfectly match with Shade's words. :D

I think Amaria's fortune would be Titania herself and vice versa. Amaria loves Titania with her whole heart and Titania considers Amaria the person closest to her. Then they both lose their fortunes since one has amnesia and the other ran off to the desert due to her actions.

Edited by bamboozler

Perhaps it has more to do with the fact that Pokemon itself is an RPG? Of course, the game itself is aware of these levels by setting caps to balance out gameplay, but that doesn't mean levels itself are attributable to the gym leaders' or admins' strength. For a game to be worthwhile to play, there must be a smooth, clean curve of progression guiding us through. We can't have level 70s sicced on us before facing Julia behind the sheer thought process that we are facing an Admin. Likewise, we shouldn't question why the Youngsters in Peridot Ward are generally weaker than those in Obsida Ward.

As levels are more of a game mechanic than a plot-point; they're more representative of the point you are in the game, not the power of the rival you're facing. Amethyst, however, has done some very unique things with the levels, especially in cases of throwing higher-leveled boss pokemon who intend to shock you with their relative strength. These are done decisively; all in all, each relative jump in level aims to guide your morale throughout the game to Ame's specifications. It's the game, not the player.

I think Amaria's fortune would be Titania herself and vice versa. Amaria loves Titania with her whole heart and Titania considers Amaria the person closest to her. Then they both lose their fortunes since one has amnesia and the other ran off to the desert due to her actions.

Exactly for the first sentence, but I don't think either of them lost each other because I'd say Titania is gone only temporarily

Ugh...Shade annoys me. Anyways, once again my (simplistic) take on things:

SHADE: Four screens foretold four souls' fortune forsaken, For, forsooth, from foreshadowed, only two [souls] will be taken.

All that means is that the four screens foretell bad things happening to four people, but only two screens foretell people actually dying. (Soul taken = soul dying). Nothing more, nothing less.

The screens are all true predictions, we were just wrong to assume they all lead to deaths.