Site/Server Suggestions, Maintenance, & Discussion

Arkhi

-Place a caption above the Status Update Bar. Here's a simple fix. It can just say Status Update: or something similar. (Parallel to the Pokemon Reborn or Customize caption above the corresponding features) Though if people can't read the "Search" that's in the Search Bar, then I have doubts this will do any good. Still, it's an option.

If there's a better plan out there, post it here. Only so many people can make mistake the two bars until we realize the mistake is our own.

We could do that AND... idk, place the Status Bar OVER the status updates? I think that could work.

Otherwise, switching the search bar position with the status one might be the best solution... might.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Can we remove the notifications that regard the Messenger? Basically we get two notifications of the same thing, since the messenger already notifies you if someone has replied to you, added you to a conversation or left one.

edit: it doesn't if they leave one, but it could be modified to show if they did.

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications

oV2XllZ.png

Have you tried these?

So there's been an increase in the frequency with which people mistake the Status Update Bar for the Search Bar. If this continues to occur, it will be worth making an entirely separate thread to determine, as a community, what can be done. Should it come to that, a plan is in order.

We'll need the admins' permission, but I'm thinking of these as valid options:

-Switch the positions of the Search Bar and Status Update Bar. It's a bit of a wager, but the number of times people have confused the two makes this worth a shot. Besides, putting the Search Bar right above where it says Pokemon Reborn will make it rather fitting.

-Link to the Search Page instead. This idea is rather radical; we're all used to the bar with the magnifying glass next to it, so locating this will be more difficult if it's not a familiar aesthetic. Still, once the user is at the Search Page, they'll be given tools to narrow down their search.

-Remove the Status Update Bar. This option is dangerous, since status updates cannot be made from a user's own profile. Still, if that was made possible, then this would be the best option. Status updates are just for fun, most frequently.

-Place a caption above the Status Update Bar. Here's a simple fix. It can just say Status Update: or something similar. (Parallel to the Pokemon Reborn or Customize caption above the corresponding features) Though if people can't read the "Search" that's in the Search Bar, then I have doubts this will do any good. Still, it's an option.

If there's a better plan out there, post it here. Only so many people can make mistake the two bars until we realize the mistake is our own.

I'm not sure that really can be OUR mistake, but maybe this is just me, or my experience speaking for me.

Z445vSG.png

I don't know how much clearer "Search... | Forums / This forum / This topic" with a magnifying glass that matches your forum skin color can be made... And doesn't it being closer to the top mean it's more noticeable anyway? If we were to switch them that would mess with everyone that's used to it already, I think. The status bar might stand to be a bit more obvious, but I still think people mixing them up isn't really on us.

I don't know how much clearer "Search... | Forums / This forum / This topic" with a magnifying glass that matches your forum skin color can be made... And doesn't it being closer to the top mean it's more noticeable anyway? If we were to switch them that would mess with everyone that's used to it already, I think. The status bar might stand to be a bit more obvious, but I still think people mixing them up isn't really on us.

How obvious the Search Bar is is the problem itself. It's on the people who want to search for something to find the Search Bar. The position of the search bar is the "problem"; because it's not out in the open, like the Status Update bar, it doesn't draw as much attention. That then begs the question of how it can draw attention. Instead of bringing attention to the Search Bar, that same attention should be put away from the Status Update bar. Ergo, if it is made clear that this empty, blank bar is the Status Update bar, that should solve the problem.

So maybe labeling the Status Update bar will clear things up. A good location for it could be under the Customize header, at the bottom of everything on the Menu.

That means there is no gap between the informational part and the "personal part" (notifications, messenger, status), essentially leading to the creation of a wall of text below the picture. Perhaps, if we include a faint "Status" or make the magnifying glass a bit bigger or bold. Most people, and all new users, don't have customized skin. So it blends with the background.

For the Messenger, can we have different color text that lets us know when we get a new message? I'm aware of stuff like "(1 New)" and all, but I think it would be better to make it more eye catching when you get a message. So when we get a new message, the text color would change.

Edited OP to retire the Community FAQ regarding Ace Membership suggestion and added Autumn's.

Most people, and all new users, don't have customized skin. So it blends with the background.

This is something that I've been thinking over for a while now. The unedited background is a gray color, which fits in with Reborn's mood, but the reason for visiting the site, primarily, is to either look something up or visit the forums if you're a regular. Most regulars will know how to customize their skin, so this is another valid option.

Oh, BTW, the Donate Reborn Rupees to yourself doesn't actually work (just tested it out, at first I just clicked the button to see if it did, but after attempting to make a transaction, it failed), but I don't see a reason to why it exists. It doesn't really do anything...

Oh, BTW, the Donate Reborn Rupees to yourself doesn't actually work (just tested it out, at first I just clicked the button to see if it did, but after attempting to make a transaction, it failed), but I don't see a reason to why it exists. It doesn't really do anything...

It's still worth notifying. Not every suggestion or bug can be fixed, but so long as there's a record of them, then that'll do, pig.

So these Community Announcements threads are pretty important and could potentially be pinned:

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11970

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13802

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13157

Although, I was wondering why these threads were in the Community Announcements section while other informative ones like Cowtao's Double Posting thread, Hilda's Revival/Necroposting thread, and your Status Bar VS Search Bar thread are in the Grand Hall forum. Wouldn't it make sense for them all to be in the same forum? Unless they're somehow incredibly different in some way that I didn't catch on to.

Oh, and this thread right here seems important enough to be pinned for the Grand Hall: http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13640

Another thingy, this thread needs to be updated (again) for the RCBA: http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2961

To be blunt, the Grand Hall needs a massive overhaul. There are some threads pinned that need no longer be pinned (Thread Revival v. Necroposting, Item Additions). As it stands, the number of pinned threads in the Grand Hall seems too numerous; it takes a bit of scrolling to get to the most recent threads, which is a major design flaw. There's a forum out there for threads no longer in commission, but the idea of that brings to light the potential need of a new sub-forum to keep important threads. Arguably, the Grand Hall could be used for that, but the use for this forum is too widespread; there is plenty of room for greetings, but not enough for questions about the site or the kinds of threads that need be pinned.

It's worth presenting the auth with the idea of a new sub-forum for site-specific threads.

To be blunt, the Grand Hall needs a massive overhaul. There are some threads pinned that need no longer be pinned (Thread Revival v. Necroposting, Item Additions). As it stands, the number of pinned threads in the Grand Hall seems too numerous; it takes a bit of scrolling to get to the most recent threads, which is a major design flaw. There's a forum out there for threads no longer in commission, but the idea of that brings to light the potential need of a new sub-forum to keep important threads. Arguably, the Grand Hall could be used for that, but the use for this forum is too widespread; there is plenty of room for greetings, but not enough for questions about the site or the kinds of threads that need be pinned.

It's worth presenting the auth with the idea of a new sub-forum for site-specific threads.

An overhaul of the pinned topics in the Grand Hall is a good suggestion. I'll try to bring it up and see what I can do.

So we might be getting a new sub forum for just questions and help on the site, and having the Grand Hall be for intros and farewells? I would support that.

Also, to add on Ark's suggestion, perhaps those people will also be able to edit things like topic names? It's something that I would assume would be one of their powers, as they can edit posts. For instance, in the Troubleshooting thread, there are plenty of people who help fix save files, but they aren't powerful enough to change the name of the topic to RESOLVED. If we use that suggestion, maybe those people who have been helping quite a bit, like Dashie and Azery, could get that power? Might be useful for those mods and up who have to keep track of each thread and change their names.

You can also take this as maybe they'll only have power in a certain forum, although less than a forum moderator.

I thought you could already edit a topic name via editing the first post, no?

Yes, but I was talking about editing other people's thread names. I'm pretty sure the mods rename those threads in the Troubleshooting forum Resolved, since I doubt everyone will rename their thread, especially with most being members just to have a save file fixed and being too new to know you could do that.

Also, to add on Ark's suggestion, perhaps those people will also be able to edit things like topic names?

Aces have the power to change their own topic titles, but not others'. The only way for that to occur would be for Aces to have Staff or Developer permissions limited to a particular forum or sub-forum. Whether as to Aces are granted that or not is up to the auth. I know it's possible, though I'm uncertain if Aces need a new member name/type in order to do so. For example, Staff are capable of editing all posts within a particular forum and Developers can post in the Development Blog. (Murdoc & Hukuna can edit all posts within the Roleplaying sub-forum, Kurotsune & Jan can post within the Development Blog sub-forum, etc.). It's potentially risky for so many aces to be able to edit posts within a forum, so it would be better off if we were given permissions similar to that of Developers. And even then, that doesn't solve the problem at hand: normal-class members (including Familiars and Veterans) will still be left out, though they are the ones who need editing permissions for others' posts.

To summarize, it would be difficult for this to work with how the site currently functions while still retaining the Member class system. It's possible, as seen by Mews & Annoucements, the Dev. Blog, and the Nightclub, but that would require many new Member classes, which would be a hassle to create and distribute unto members.

You can also take this as maybe they'll only have power in a certain forum, although less than a forum moderator.

This is actually really curious because the idea of a "Super Ace Member" title has been tossed around before. They would include extended privileges in addition to the already existent ones. Already, that somewhat exists with the Developer Member class. As to how widespread it could be- and if it's even integrated- that is left to the auth. Again. This is a compromise that allows fewer members to have greater privileges without side-stepping into the legitimacy of being an auth member.

Hmm, yes, a good example.

Suggestions and discussion are to be discussed in this thread; going off topic a great deal will result in appropriate punishment. Head to the Onyx Arcade for fun instead. Keep conversation constructive and on-track.

Hmm, yes. I'll put that into the suggestion box, which will immediately be burned thereafter.

Having or getting people to update important pinned subjects like On the hunt's Location guide and other things so we don't have to go through 30 pages of old and or irrelevant information. Or simply removing posts from pinned subjects that are like a year old.

Having or getting people to update important pinned subjects like On the hunt's Location guide and other things so we don't have to go through 30 pages of old and or irrelevant information. Or simply removing posts from pinned subjects that are like a year old.

...The Location Guide is being updated, however...

On the hunt's Location guide

One step ahead of you.

Or simply removing posts from pinned subjects that are like a year old.

I mean, those topics are kinda discussion topics too. I don't know if removing the posts would be "effective" actually.

Kinda lost on this case, tbh.