Official Gym Leader Help Thread

Deleted User

Hi! I'm having a little trouble facing Aya in a Grass monotype Run! I should share that I'm using the Alternate Form Pack Mod which will explain some things about my available pokémon. These are the ones I've trained:

Roserade (poison point, Rose incense) Giga Drain, Magical Leaf, Nature Power, Toxic

Gourgeist (Pickup, no item) Pain Split, Shadow Ball, Trick-or-Treat, Shadow Sneak

Carnivine (Alternate form Grass/Fire typing, Levitate, no item) Nature Power, Crunch, Leaf Tornado, Incinerate

Venusaur (Chrolophyll, Miracle Seed) Nature Power, Poison Powder, Leech Seed, Petal Dance

Kantonian Exeggutor (Chlorophyll, No Item) Psyshock, Egg Bomb, Giga Drain, Nature Power

Leavanny (Chlorophyll, no Item), X-Scissor, Sticky Web, Protect, Shadow Claw

Sunflora (Alternate "Firecracker" form, Grass/Fire, Drought, Heat Rock), Heat Wave, Solar Beam, Leech Seed, Giga Drain

Tangrowth (Regenerator, no item) Giga Brain, Knock Off, Ancient Power, Poison Powder

Ludicolo (Rain Dish, no item) Mega Drain, Bubble Beam, Nature Power, Mist

I trained the Alternate sunflora trying to get Chlorophyll on Exeggutor for a chance of its Psyshock but I never seem to go past of her Drapion or her Salazzle 😕

So I'm not sure if modded games are allowed in this thread but in this case I may need help lol

Edit: Somehow, trying again after making this post, I actually managed to win by not using Drought for after defeating Salazzle lol

• 1 month later...

adrienn is making total mincemeat of me. i have 11 pokemon trained up to level 79-80, and i cant seem to get very far with any combination of them.

stoutland / lv 79 / scrappy / crunch, strength, play rough, ice fang

noivern / lv 79 / infiltrator / dragon pulse, hurricane, boomburst, air slash (useless for this gym, i know)

donphan / lv 80 / sturdy / giga impact, strength, earthquake, bulldoze

durant / lv 80 / hustle / x-scissor, iron head, thunder fang, metal claw

seviper / lv 80 / shed skin / venoshock, poison tail, poison fang, glare

empoleon / lv 79 / defiant / surf, drill peck, hydro pump, steel wing

hariyama / lv 80 / guts / brick break, force palm, heavy slam, throat chop (also mostly useless here)

arcanine / lv 80 / intimidate / extreme speed, crunch, thunder fang, flare blitz

sawsbuck / lv 80 / sap sipper / jump kick, megahorn, horn leech, nature power

gothitelle / lv 79 / frisk / psychic, psyshock, uproar, dark pulse

luxray / lv 80 / guts / wild charge, ice fang, discharge, crunch

and heres my box:

image.png.f148824bf748f220f8256f367b5131b3.png

i feel like primarina would be great here, but its only lv 38 and i just dont have the patience to grind it all the way up to level 80. same with trubbish, which is only lv 30. bronzor is lv 68, mamoswine is lv 67.

Do you mind grinding a new mon? Like Klinklang really helps out 

Once Adrienn's cleared the mist use steel type attacks which will help out a lot

I beat adrienn using shift gear+ gear grind spam in my Klinklang and se healing items

Steel attacks get boosted by the fairy tail field and adrienn will always start that field by using tailwind on xyr prankster whimsicott

If possible, use oricorio to set your own Tailwind and hit them back

Fire attacks are useless as the fairy tail field gives them a part dragon type damage and fairy is immune to dragon

Get some good steel types and you'll come out with flying colours

@monodramatic_ The Misty Field boosts the Special Defense of Fairy Types by one stage and Adrienn's team as a whole also tends towards special bulk so physical attackers tend to fare better than special ones. Your Durant should be a great pick for that since it's fast and hits hard. Give your chosen attacker a white herb to counter Granbull's Intimidate and they're good to go.

Certain attacks can also blow away the Misty Field and reveal the Fairy Tale Field below it. Steel Types are especially good on that one. If you use

EDIT; Beat Terra. Blissey was pretty sweet in the fight. Minimize+Psych up (copy +6 Special attack/defense) was pretty nice. Blissey managed to kill like 3 of her mons by herself. I got very lucky to win, Garchamp missed a stone edge which let my Cinninco finish it off, then I managed to crit surf the sandcastle mon, I did no damage to hit otherwise, but crits ignoring status changes made the kill possible. Well poor Blissey is gonna get boxed after the hard carry, sadly, it will do no damage to anything since I don't have toxic :(

Added Rules: Set Mode, no items in battle. This has made this very challenging and I am at a loss of how to beat Terra. Other bosses were a struggle for sure, but a bunch of extra attempts got me there. But terra seems impossible all her Pokémon tank so many of mines hits. I do basically no damage to Quagsire and the Sandcastle Pokémon, and Garchomp just tears me apart if I get there.

Certainly doesn't help that my EV's are good awful, but I cant do much about that know since I cant get to the daycare...

Team/Leader under hidden comment to save room.

Spoiler

Please ignore the random highlighting...

Terra (Yes I know how the glitch field works, don't need to tell me)

Team
Meowstic
Light Clay
Prankster
Timid
- Psychic 
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Dark Pulse

Eelektross

Magnet

Levitate

Adamant

-Spark - Yes really... :/

-Crunch

-Flamethrower

-Brick Break

Swampert

Sea Incense

Torrent

Sassy

-Surf

-Earthquake

-Hammer Arm

-Icy Wind

Arcanine

Charcoal

Intimidate

Careful

-Flamethrower

-Close Combat

-Extreme Speed

-Rock Smash

Cinccino

Silk Scarf

Skill Link

Sassy

-Tail Slap

-Bullet Seed

-Rock Blast

-Hidden Power (ghost)

Last main team member is Slyveon who is basically useless, some much for them killing dragons lol

----
--Other Pokemon you have in your PC--

Not mentioning lvs cause they are all kinda low

-Jinx
-Misdreavus

-Happiny (potential blissy tank?)

-Mareep

-Nidorina
-Gothia

-Talonflame

-Bronzor

-Vespiqueen

-Swalot

-Sandyghast

-Noibat

-Solrock

-Solosis

-Druddigon

-Electroade (lv 85) could be used for cheese I guess?

And those are the main useful ones

Anyway, I guessing that I am going to have to tear my team apart and then Ev train up some new Pokemon, lots of my team is kind of trash and things are pretty rough without items, have been for a while, but this is the first time were I feel that progression is impossible without major team reworks.

Any suggestions on what to add to the team would be great. And remember that I have a limited area I can actually go to, since I cant access most of the reason, cause story, I guess.

I have plenty of money and left the mining rocks in this area untouched, so If I need stuff from them I can get it, don't have any heart scales, but I can get those from the rocks. Circus gives unlimited shards/ability capsules so I am good on that too.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions you can give. I don't want to spend ages grinding just to lose anyway.

Edited by pizzagod13
posting that I no longer need help

I'm not very good at the game (and often abuse shift mode+items, especially for this fight) so don't hold my suggestions in too high an esteem. But perhaps you could detonate Electrode? It's a roll, but IIRC Explosion is pretty broken in early gens. You should check it, but it's possible that Electrode outspeeds and oneshots Garchomp with it. 

About the Quagsire and Palossand, I'd advise that you teach Arcanine Roar (I think it can relearn it). The seed effects are forgotten (and the seed is consumed) once Terra's mons switch out, so they get their regular weaknesses back. 

I'm not sure about Blissey's movepool at your point, but if you can get a good set it's probably worthwhile. If anything, it definitely can do some PP-stall on Quagsire or Palossand. 

A final possibility for you is to change the field (Prankster Psychic/Misty Terrain to get the seeds to not activate?). 

• 1 month later...

[deleted my forum for help since I just beat her.]

A redundant update:

If anyone's in need of a stupid strategy to beat Adrienn.. I just beat her using only two pokemon. A level 47 Luvdisc and a level 38 Shedinja.

Luvdisc with Quick Claw, use Soak on Shedinja. Reset until I have first move.

Use 3 X attacks on Shedinja and used Metal Claw and Dig until I won.

I'm not proud.. or maybe I am. (:

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

My mons are getting destroyed by Charlotte. In my last run (it was ep 16 iirc) I remember I had hard time but at the end I won, I just can't remember how. Right now my decent leveled pokemons are:

Sharpedo (lv63, Speed Boost, Jolly),

Arcanine (lv67, Flash Fire, Lonely),

Blaziken (lv70, Speed Boost, Timid),

Ampharos (lv67, Static, Adamant),

Meowstic (lv63, Competitive, Hardy),

Donphan (lv 56 - in training -, Sturdy, Rash),

Scrafty (lvl 60, Intimidate, Calm),

Emolga (lv59, Motor Drive, Docile),

Spiritomb (lv 58, Pressure, Lax).

As you all very well know, I can't go back to Reborn City to change my mons nature, and I really don't have the time and the energy to grab some ground or rock pokemon, grind them and then leave them for good in the box: I would love some solution without having to spend hours levelling up.

Thank you all!

(As usual, sorry for my English)

@Earnest The caves on Route 3 have wild Graveler and Rhydon up to Lv 60 which should be high enough that they can be helpful. If you have the Protector from Iolia Valley and some Link Stones you can evolve them, otherwise stick with Rhydon.

The outside area of Route 3 also wild Bronzong, grab one with Heat Proof to set up Trick Room and you should be good with Earthquake/Rockslide spam.

Alternatively grabbing a Rockruff from Route 2 and evolving it to Midday Lycanroc can probably Rock Slide through that fight with some support.

Would appreciate some help with Radomus. He pretty much just OHKO's everything I've got before I can do much to him.

[Arcanine] | [56]
[Charcoal]
[Intimidate]
[Rash]
- Retaliate
- Flamethrower
- Crunch
- Heatwave

[Nidoqueen] | [58]
[Hard Stone]
[Sheer Force]
[Mild]
- Super Power
- Earth Power
- Bite
- Body Slam

[Stoutland] | [60]
[Silk Scarf]
[Scrappy]
[Naughty]
- Ice Fang
- Retaliate
- Work Up
- Crunch

[Delphox] | [60]
[Protective Pads]
[Blaze]
[Bold]
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Cut

[Ampharos] | [57]
[Zap Plate]
[Plus]
[Bashful]
- Charge Beam
- Signal Beam
- Power Gem
- Discharge

[Mightyena] | [57]
[Quick Claw]
[Intimidate]
[Gentle]
- Bite
- Strength
- Crush
- Rock Smash

Don't have much in my Box, mostly sub-level 35 stuff I used early on, shinies, and my pick-up squad.

Edited by DethJackal

@DethJackal There are a few Bug Types available you could train up with the standout one being Escavalier. It can abuse Radomus's Trick Room and afaik isn't weak to anything he has on his team.

If you don't want to train up something new you could change Mightyena's Ability to Moxie and try sweeping with that one. You'd probably need to use items to keep it alive and strategically take out enemies threatening it. You can grab Sucker Punch from the Move Relearner to ignore Trick Room. You could also teach your Delphox Shadow Ball while you're there.

On 1/24/2021 at 5:43 AM, Gentleman Jaggi said:

@DethJackal There are a few Bug Types available you could train up with the standout one being Escavalier. It can abuse Radomus's Trick Room and afaik isn't weak to anything he has on his team.

If you don't want to train up something new you could change Mightyena's Ability to Moxie and try sweeping with that one. You'd probably need to use items to keep it alive and strategically take out enemies threatening it. You can grab Sucker Punch from the Move Relearner to ignore Trick Room. You could also teach your Delphox Shadow Ball while you're there.

Thank you for the help! I ended up replacing Mightyena with a Hustle & Metronome Durant, and that worked out just fine~

• 1 month later...

Can't find a way to beat Terra, man that ??? type is annoying. Even if i get trough it, her garchomp just eats the rest of my team. Help? I got some other pokemons in the box that i used to defeat charlotte with so they are all level 70

Meowstic | 73
Twisted spoon
Competitive
Rash
- Shadow ball
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Signal Beam

Rampardos | 72
Wide lens
Mold Breaker
Lonely
- Head smash
- Zen Headbutt
- Brick Break/Strength (i just freely change this whenever i need strength)
- Assurance

Arcanine | 73
Charcoal
Intimidate
Naive
- Extreme speed
- FlameThrower
- Crunch
- Close Combat

Ampharos | 73
Magnet
Static
Gentle
- Discharge
- Dragon Pulse
- Power Gem
- Rock smash

Torterra | 73
Earth plate
Shell Armor
Hardy
- Earthquake
- Synthesis
- Crunch
- Wood hammer

Walrein | 73
Never-Melt Ice
Thick Fat
Modest
- Dive
- Surf
- Signal Beam
- Blizzard

As i said earlier i also got some other pokemon, but most of the high leveled ones are mostly just ground and rock types

43 minutes ago, Healer-Mommy said:

Can't find a way to beat Terra, man that ??? type is annoying. Even if i get trough it, her garchomp just eats the rest of my team. Help? I got some other pokemons in the box that i used to defeat charlotte with so they are all level 70

Meowstic | 73
Twisted spoon
Competitive
Rash
- Shadow ball
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Signal Beam

Rampardos | 72
Wide lens
Mold Breaker
Lonely
- Head smash
- Zen Headbutt
- Brick Break/Strength (i just freely change this whenever i need strength)
- Assurance

Arcanine | 73
Charcoal
Intimidate
Naive
- Extreme speed
- FlameThrower
- Crunch
- Close Combat

Ampharos | 73
Magnet
Static
Gentle
- Discharge
- Dragon Pulse
- Power Gem
- Rock smash

Torterra | 73
Earth plate
Shell Armor
Hardy
- Earthquake
- Synthesis
- Crunch
- Wood hammer

Walrein | 73
Never-Melt Ice
Thick Fat
Modest
- Dive
- Surf
- Signal Beam
- Blizzard

As i said earlier i also got some other pokemon, but most of the high leveled ones are mostly just ground and rock types

Nevermind, i won trough pure crit luck

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2018 at 3:21 AM, Solaceax said:

hi hello am back and hating samson with every fibre of my being ;w;

--current team--
Incineroar | 67

Charcoal
Intimidate
Careful
- Flare Blitz
- Cross Chop

- Fake Out

- Darkest Lariat

Slurpuff | 65

Sitrus Berry
Unburden
Serious
- Play Rough
- Energy Ball
- Cotton Guard
- Endeavor

Meowstic | 63

Twisted Spoon

Keen Eye
Docile
- Shadow Ball
- Fake Out
- Psychic
- Psyshock

Heracross | 63

Lac Incense

Moxie
Jolly
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Blast

Magneton | 63

Protective Pads
Sturdy
Sassy
- Tri Attack
- Metal Sound
- Discharge
- Flash Cannon

Amoonguss | 61

Miracle Seed

Regenerator
Modest
- Feint Attack
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Toxic

----

--Other Pokemon you have in your PC--

Hawlucha | 63

Synthetic Seed

Unburden

Quirky

- Roost

- High Jump Kick

- Swords Dance

- Bounce

Seismitoad | 63

Mystic Water

Water Absorb

Adamant

- Drain Punch

- Sludge Wave

- Muddy Water

- Hydro Pump

Golurk | 64

Iron Fist

Jolly

- Night Shade

- Earthquake

- Mega Punch

- Hammer Arm

Braviary | 55

Keen Eye
Timid
Flying Gem

- Tailwind

- Air Slash

- Crush Claw

- Brave Bird

I was training up braviary and hawlucha but man idek. I was originally using amoonguss to toxic the hariyama and could get through like half the team, but the AI is being weird now and no matter how often i retry it keeps ohkoing my poor mushroom boy :c so rude

looking at it now i could prolly change meowstics ability, but outside of that idk what would help (besides catch another rufflet that doesn't have a horrible nature hrrrg). thank you in advance once again ;w;

Can i know what lvl ur slurpuff learn play rough? mine is not learning even it is on lvl 45 alr

2 minutes ago, moonray said:

Can i know what lvl ur slurpuff learn play rough? mine is not learning even it is on lvl 45 alr

Slurpuff doesn't learn Play Rough until level 49.

• Thanks 1

I am having difficulty facing shelly.

This is my 1st playthrough and am finding it difficult to get past her .. Her prankster illumise is a nightmare.

My current team is 

Blaziken (speed boost)
Unfezant
Galvantula
Pangoro
Mightyena (considering to changing its ability to moxie. let me know if i can find a wild poochyena with rattled as hidden ability will evolve to a moxie mightyena ?)
empty slot.. 

Am planning to bring in numel  to burn that forest field or some rock type which i found in the grand stairs underground. 

Someone Please suggest me a good 6th team member. or to swap anyone in existing party?.. 

Note: I almost caught all pokemon obtainable till this point in the playthrough including the event ones from eggs. All of them are lying in the box untrained.

@barath1989 You can't set the Field on fire as long as Rain Dance is active, you'll have to prevent it from setting up by using Fake Out on Illumise on the first turn and having your other Pokémon KO it. There's an NPC in Lapis that can teach your Blaziken Fire Pledge so you don't have to use a Numel for that. The wild Espurr in the Aqua Gang alleyway usually know Fake Out when you catch them, they might also have Light Screen to protect your team.

However Shelly has a second Pokémon that can set up Rain Dance and unlike Illumise it's very bulky. You'll want a strong physical attacker to quickly get rid of it before it douses your fire. Otherwise you could also consider using Water Types in the later half of the fight to make use of the rain yourself instead.

Wild Poochyena anywhere can have their Hidden ability like any other mon in Reborn and a number of ability Capsules are available as well at that point. However since Mightyena is weak againt Bug it's unlikely that it'll be able to gain much from Moxie in this fight, especially if it doesn't Sucker Punch yet.

Rock Types won't do so well against Shelly since her team has a lot of Water and Grass coverage, although Sturdy Graveler can at least stick around for one turn.

Physical Flying Types like Fearow or Dodrio should do well against most of her team. Electric types with Nuzzle or Thunder Wave can help with one of Shelly's biggest threats - Emolga can use the Nuzzle+Electro Ball combo and also has Acrobatics to hit hard or Light Screen to protect your team. If you joined Magma gang Swift Swim Floatzel should be a good option to use Shelly's Rain Dance against her. Swift Swim Seaking might work as well, but it's not as fast.

finally i have beaten shelly.. 
what started as a intense battle turned into a dogfight at the end. 😅😂

Only Unfezant was left from my side and volbeat was left from her side. 
unfortunately i didn't have revives or any cotton candies at that moment
My unfezant's moveset : Quick attack, Air slash, Taunt and Roost
her volbeat's moveset: dazzling gleam, struggle bug,tail glow and moonlight
She had already used her volbeat's dazzling gleam to knock out some of my previous pokemons. hence she started spamming struggle bug on my unfezant so that air slash became virtually useless as it hardly did damage. 
Then i went into troll mode. am a fan of pokemon showdown , love to set up trolling teams and irritate opponents. so i started SPAMMING and STALLING her and make her run out of PP. 😈. I repeatedly used roost & some of my potions to recover my health just to make her run out of her attacking PP's.  

Though she had moonlight and tailglow. Her moonlight was a nuisance though
Then i used the ultimate weapon.. the move "taunt" . This "taunt" move is severely underrated in competitive battling IMO.  Her struggle bugs & dazzling gleam  were over.  She set up a few tail glows before i used "taunt". she had no other option but just to struggle and take recoil damage
Luckily i still had PP left in quick attack and air slash
A few quick attacks & her "struggle" came to end. 
Taunting unfezant FTW. 🤓

Edited by barath1989

Having trouble with charlotte I have

Blaziken lv 70
 Wide lens 
careful
speed boost

Brick break 
Blaze kick
Brave bird 
High Jump kick

Arcanine lv 61 (gonna get it to 65)
charcoal
Calm
Flash fire 

Flamethrower
crunch
Hidden power
strength

Ampharos lv 69
Hard stone (for power gem)
quiet
Plus

charge

discharge

power gem

Dragon pulse

Noivern Lv 67
Sky plate 
Brave
Frisk

Boomburst
hurricane 
dark pulse
dragon pulse

Krookodile lv 68
Metronome (for spamming earthquake)
Naive 
Intimidate

Earthquake
Iron tail
Crunch
Outrage

Floatzel lv 67
Mistic water 
sassy 
Swift swim 

Aqua tail
Surf
Agility 
Razor wind (switching for dive)

Charlottes typhlosion is faster than all of my team and will always hit eruption Which oneshots my whole team except blaziken and Arcanine. Krookodile always gets downed by heat wave and eruption so I cant break the terrain I dont have access to rain dance anymore as I'm stuck in agate circus Any thoughts?

On 5/31/2021 at 12:26 PM, adimai said:

Having trouble with charlotte I have

Blaziken lv 70
 Wide lens 
careful
speed boost

Brick break 
Blaze kick
Brave bird 
High Jump kick

Arcanine lv 61 (gonna get it to 65)
charcoal
Calm
Flash fire 

Flamethrower
crunch
Hidden power
strength

Ampharos lv 69
Hard stone (for power gem)
quiet
Plus

charge

discharge

power gem

Dragon pulse

Noivern Lv 67
Sky plate 
Brave
Frisk

Boomburst
hurricane 
dark pulse
dragon pulse

Krookodile lv 68
Metronome (for spamming earthquake)
Naive 
Intimidate

Earthquake
Iron tail
Crunch
Outrage

Floatzel lv 67
Mistic water 
sassy 
Swift swim 

Aqua tail
Surf
Agility 
Razor wind (switching for dive)

Charlottes typhlosion is faster than all of my team and will always hit eruption Which oneshots my whole team except blaziken and Arcanine. Krookodile always gets downed by heat wave and eruption so I cant break the terrain I dont have access to rain dance anymore as I'm stuck in agate circus Any thoughts?

Thank God I did it I leveled up my arcanine and was ready to do a trick room strategy but then it started dodging everything except the fire moves and its flamethrower got so powerful it and my blaziken steamrolled through charlotte with little trouble (forgot to mention I had a level 69 alakizam as extra.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys, this is my first playthrough of this game and I am having some real trouble with Radomus, I always get really close but either his Gardevoir or Metagross just destroy my last few pokemon.

My team is: 

Zoroark/Dread Plate/Illusion/Scary Face - Punishment - Foul Play - Taunt

Yanmega/Wide Lens/Speed Boost/Bug Buzz - Air Slash - Quick Attack - Hypnosis

Swampert/Sea Incense/Damp/Muddy Water - Earthquake - Bide - Rock Slide

Manectric/Synthetic Seed or Magnet/ Minus/Quick Attack - Thunder - Wild Charge - Ice Fang

Pyroar/Charcoal/Moxie/Crunch - Endeavor - Incinerate - Flamethrower

Lurantis/Meadow Plate/Leaf Guard/Leaf Blade - Solar Blade - Sunny Day - Synthesis

Pokemon in Box (ones that im willing to train or already at same level as team) :

Gothitelle/Twisted Spoon/Shadow Tag/Psychic - Dark Pulse - Future Sight - Telekinesis

Mightyena/None/Moxie/Crunch - Assurance - Embargo - Howl

Kabutops/Wave Incense/Weak Armor/Mega Drain - Aqua Jet - Ancient Power - Slash

Kricketune/None/Technician/Fury Cutter - X-Scissor - False Swipe - Sing

Swinub/None/Thick Fat/Mud Bomb - Icy Wind - Ice Shard - Take Down

Growlithe/None/Justified/Reversal - Fire Fang - Take Down - Close Combat

Alolan Golem/None/Galvanize/Heavy Slam - Smack Down - Stealth Rock - Double Edge

Those are the main ones I'm thinking of right now. I am willing to train any new mon if necessary 

Thank you 

@RebornFan7 

Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking of getting an Escavalier after reading some other posts about Radomus's gym...but I'm on the fence about who to replace I was thinking pyroar but still not too sure. What do you think?

Thanks

Edited by DyNO
wanted to add something