Every step GF/The Pokemon series does to move towards a challenging game like Reborn, they take three steps back (especially now with Gen VI). They just cater way too much to the younger audiences. I mean I'm not expecting Reborn level difficulty with their games, but I'd at least like to see them step up to Colosseum's difficulty, or at least back to Platinum's.

I agree. The New XP system in the main games really made it easier; I'm always up for a challenge.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Support Squad

But to be frank, I have very little interest in money aside from living in modest comfort and funding Starlight/future projects. I don't use site donations for the former reason. And as for Starlight, our budget -will- directly affect the quality and speed of the game-- that's a necessary evil in production. If I have to do everything for Starlight myself, I will, unquestionably. It's that important to me. But if I can hire spriters and composers, for instance, it's going to be that much faster and better quality.

Terribly unrelated, but I'm late to the party and asking this, if it hasn't been asked already. Will SD be an RPGMaker project or will you be using something else that can produce better quality works? As cool as reborn is, it's evident that a lot of it is building on resources already around for use like the pokemon essentials stuffs. SD will be completely new, so RPGMaker may not be the best option.

To say something on topic, great work guys, awesome to see the bar(s) go steadily up! i totally read all of the converstion!

• Veterans

Terribly unrelated, but I'm late to the party and asking this, if it hasn't been asked already. Will SD be an RPGMaker project or will you be using something else that can produce better quality works? As cool as reborn is, it's evident that a lot of it is building on resources already around for use like the pokemon essentials stuffs. SD will be completely new, so RPGMaker may not be the best option.

To say something on topic, great work guys, awesome to see the bar(s) go steadily up! i totally read all of the converstion!

I think she said it was on RPG Maker VX ace a while back iirc

• Administrators

As answered by someone else, we're currently looking at using RMVXA. RMXP has a lot of issues because it was the first RPG Maker to actually include the script editor. I am assured by several people that RMVXA in comparison to RMXP is much more stable and scalable thanks to the RGSS language it uses being taken to its third and most efficient-yet iteration

Mapping completed? wow

Do you work that fast or it's just one or two new areas?

Keep in mind -most- episodes are only one or two new areas. I've already said though that E15 is light on content, so yes, this is one of the quickest mapping times.

Seeing 15% done in just 10 days gets me really hyped for the release of the next episode. Of course, I know lots of the short easy stuff is being done first, but everything counts. Plus almost 1/5 of episode 15 is done already in 10 days! Think about how much that is in comparison with other episodes of Reborn. I have to applaud you Amethyst for how well you work. Keep it up, can't wait for episode 15 and remember to have fun :]

The only gen I find as interesting as reborn is 5. ORAS is up there too.

Reborn is the Majora's Mask of pokemon. When I first played it I was blown away, I just wanted to know more and more about the city. The civilians and Pokemon are suffering or have meaning to them. Creates atmosphere. On top of that likable characters, and a thrilling tale.

Same here, every thing is implemented so well that it makes the Poke world seem more alive, that these NPCs have a life outside of your actions and everyone is so well written that it makes me care for people as much as I do in Dragon Age This is so far the best Pokemon game outside of White 1 and it makes me wish I could include more of myself into Decibel like in Dragon Age.

I agree. The New XP system in the main games really made it easier; I'm always up for a challenge.

The exp change in B/W was a really good change I think - in gens 1-4 the optimal strategy was always to just overlevel 1-2 pokemon to hell and forget about actually using a full team (type advantages have nothing on being able to outspeed anything of your opponents with pokemon that do 2x as much damage and can take twice as much damage as a lower level pokemon), they just toned down the levels of the opponents too much (the elite 4 had wimpy pokemon compared to any of the previous generations). The exp formula changes in gen 5 made using an entire team a lot more viable ingame than in previous generations (leveling all 6 pokemon in gens 1-4 is handicapping yourself) I've never actually played any official 6th generation games since I don't have a 3DS so I can't really comment on that much.

The exp change in B/W was a really good change I think - in gens 1-4 the optimal strategy was always to just overlevel 1-2 pokemon to hell and forget about actually using a full team (type advantages have nothing on being able to outspeed anything of your opponents with pokemon that do 2x as much damage and can take twice as much damage as a lower level pokemon), they just toned down the levels of the opponents too much (the elite 4 had wimpy pokemon compared to any of the previous generations).

The optimal strategy is still to overlevel a small team. Gen 5's EXP system didn't solve this problem, but it was a step in the right direction. I think this problem is fundamentally unsolvable without taking drastic measures (such as Reborn's badge level cap system).

Keep in mind, game freak always has and always will make it so the optimal strategy is something a child can achieve. They are the primary demographic. Its cool that pokemon is in depth and varied enough to support a competitive environment, but they will never put focus into making the main games more difficult/challenging/require strategy as it's literally against their business model.

And thats why we have awesome fan games that ramp up the difficulty for a more mature audience,

Keep in mind, game freak always has and always will make it so the optimal strategy is something a child can achieve. They are the primary demographic. Its cool that pokemon is in depth and varied enough to support a competitive environment, but they will never put focus into making the main games more difficult/challenging/require strategy as it's literally against their business model.

And thats why we have awesome fan games that ramp up the difficulty for a more mature audience,

Τhat ^