Favorite Tank?

Arago_Hunt

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad Ice is turrible defensive type.

I tought that, until I use it on a battle. The guy is a tank. I use one whit 252 attk, 252 def and 4 hp whit Earthquake, Recovery, Barrier (or rapid spin) and Avalanche.

It laughs at many physical attackers. Once yoy manage to set a Barrier, even Mega Mawile can´t do a shit

Specially defensive Milotic with mirror coat, my god. Charizard Y does only half with a solarbeam, and Milotic takes it and throws it back with mirror coat, ohkoing that thing. <3

But let's not forget this little terror.

300px-ShuckleSwag.png

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Toxic
- Shell Smash
- Power Split
This thing, is a complete monster in Tiershift on Showdown

This guy laughs at most physical attackers

.250px-713Avalugg.png

I love Avalugg. At least it's HP stat is good enough so you can use it as a wall.

While i agree that Avalugg has flaws (The main one: It's "weak" to all entry hazards), i still love to use it as a wall.

And i laugh so much when it works ^^

Mandibuzz is definitely my favorite. It has a few weaknesses, but since most rock moves are physical, it doesn't have too much to worry about. Overcoat is fairly helpful with all the sandstorm teams, and maybe when dealing with a Breloom or other powder users. It fairs extremely well when using Foul Play, as it can make quick work of Pokemon like Talonflame and Aegislash, or even Garchomp if they want to be cheeky and set up an SD.

My favorite: mega_ampharos_is_indeed_fabulous_by_kitt

If i can get just one Cotton Guard off on my Mega Ampharos, it will practically shrug off a STAB Earthquake. With 2 it can pretty much wall any physical attacker. It does not heal, but even with no boosts is tanks pretty well. Also, i give it Agility so it can outspeed everything, and it has so much power that it can often wreck a team with ease.

After that i'd say Shuckle, trolling people by trapping them and slowly killing them with Infestation is great; it survives so well when used a certain way.

Starmie has been quite effective as a tank for me recently, partly due to the wonder of Reflect Type and how helpful it can be on a tank.

Cresselia can tank well and also destroy enemies pretty quickly.

I love using Snorlax, and when i get my Snorlax set up, nothing stands a chance. It just takes some time though, and a Conkeldurr could destroy it in the first couple turns.

Edited by chuckles

Belgabad (Dragonite) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Multiscale

EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 52 SDef / 132 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Dragon Claw

- Dragon Dance

- Roost

- Substitute

Dragonite, simply... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/GameBreaker/Pokemon

Damn, just give that thing toxic spikes and laugh of the oponent's attacks as even +1 genesect's ice beam does crap if you roost

Edited by SJMistery

My favorite: mega_ampharos_is_indeed_fabulous_by_kitt

If i can get just one Cotton Guard off on my Mega Ampharos, it will practically shrug off a STAB Earthquake. With 2 it can pretty much wall any physical attacker. It does not heal, but even with no boosts is tanks pretty well. Also, i give it Agility so it can outspeed everything, and it has so much power that it can often wreck a team with ease.

Cotton Guard, I can say makes Ampharos decently good at tanking. I used that for a bit in Gen 5. STAB Earthquake by anything decent still isn't easily shrugged off after only the first Cotton Guard, though. Also, there's no point in running Agility. If you're tanking, you don't need to be fast.

After that i'd say Shuckle, trolling people by trapping them and slowly killing them with Infestation is great; it survives so well when used a certain way.

I don't see the need to actually use Infestation over something like Toxic that actually does enough damage to actually kill something before you die thanks to your puny HP stat.

Starmie has been quite effective as a tank for me recently, partly due to the wonder of Reflect Type and how helpful it can be on a tank.

No

Cresselia can tank well and also destroy enemies pretty quickly.

I loved this in Gen 4, and then Gen 5 came and Reuniclus did the same thing but better when it's talking about Calm Mind walls.

Anyway porygon2_by_rockystuffe-d4xjcak.png

That's the only tank you ever need ever.

250px-591Amoonguss.png

Let Amoongus solve all your problems. Can take many special attacks, and quite a few physical ones, and heal up with regenerator. Spore is a lovely thing to have, and you'll get plenty of chances to use it since it's such a sweet tank. The typing really comes in handy. Makes a decent counter to Azumarill and Rotom-W. Foul Play is a nice tool to beat down Aegislash.

Perfect? No.

Good? Somewhat.

Just saying, Clefable is sadistic.

COSMIC POWER! +6 DEFENSES READY? CHARGE BEAM! IDGAF ABOUT +6, WHO NEEDS IT, MOONBLAAAAST!

OH YOU'RE HITTING ME HARD? SOFTBOILED!

OH STATUS AND LEECH SEED. AHAHAHAHA FOOLS, I HAVE MAGIC GUARD!

Its a pity things like Chip Away/Set Up Sweepers set up on you in return, but properly pulled off, this is fun to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Aggron (Non-mega) for sure, if it counts. (Anyone who knew me when I first joined would know that for sure...)

I dislike the design of his mega so I refuse to use it, though I may succumb someday. I don't really run non-mega Aggron as a tank though... So maybe a better answer is Forretress, my next favorite.

(Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest

Trait: Sand Stream

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Earthquake

- Crunch

- Fire Punch

- Rock Slide

Assault Vest Tyranitar is the best. It can take any special attack, even a Focus Blast, and physical moves don't do that much either, unless they are super effective. The 4 attacking moves could counter just about every threat to him.

• 5 months later...

I already saw somebody mention Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn, which is on my regular OU team on Showdown, so let me use this space to mention an NU that I also use succesfully on the same team! This Pokemon is none other than my boy, Muk!

Spr_4p_089.png

"Wassup!"

Muk (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Curse
- Shadow Sneak

- Payback/Fire Punch/Ice Punch

Let me give you some notes

+ Can take a STAB Psychic and easily retain over half his health

+ Poison Jab & Poison Touch basically garuntee Poison on anything that is actually possible to be poisoned.

+ Date sneaky Shadow Sneak for priority on an otherwise slow tank.

+ Just try to Trick him. Chances are you'll be missing having your item a lot more than he misses his.

+ Moves at the bottom are for different scenarios depending on your team

- Payback because you will be going after you oponent and getting that 2x damage boost, giving you a powerful Dark Type move; this is what I use

- Fire Punch for dealing with Steel types

- Ice Punch for if you don't have many things on your team good at dealing with Pokemon like Gliscor, Garchomp, and other Dragon types

Hope this helps spread the Muk plague, because this beast of a Poison-type is seriously under-rated! Have fun!

In my NU adventures, I have been using many tanky Pokemon, however there are two I am particularly fond of: Miltank and Granbull.

Miltank is insanely bulky, can heal, can support the team, and also has an offensive presence should you wish to try a different approach (I like to use Pokemon that can have different sets). Granbull is a physically bulky Fairy-type with Intimidate, in a tier full of physically-oriented Fighting-type attackers, so of course you can never go wrong with him...