So, you wanna play Pokemon Reborn...

Timber Dragon

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a cheat engine to this game?....awww that would take all the fun away. It's like using a powersaver

Once i cheat in mewtwo as my starter with 100% one hit ko move in other game i don't remember which one now . Got bored after 4 "fights". I love how hard this game is. I never was min/maxing in pokemon games before, so some gyms were ~10 tries for me. Only problem for me is constant feeling of being lost. I needed to look several times for where to go , online. Also some puzzles are harder than gym battles. Otherwise challange is good. Didn't feel like there is a brick wall in front of me.

I read this before I started playing the game.
Now that I'm done with ep15, I can tell you this stuff here is real...
Goddamn Gym Leaders are hard, like Noel gave me nightmare for 3days... I got so mad, I retrained my whole team just to beat that kid
Also further down, Gym leaders have perfect EV/IV Nature... imagine every pokemon is faster than yours....

p/s FERN... I seriously wanna kill that a********

Edited by thedeath245

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Gym leaders have no souls and receive sustenance from your hatred.

Oh, the Grass gym. Feh, I got some Fire- and Flying-types. This'll be a cinch! It might be kinda tricky, but things are going well so fa--A CRADILY?! WTF?! *Smack Down. Total party kill.* FUUUUUUUU--

My favorite part :D

• 2 weeks later...

To give a small example, a simple game of rock paper scissors. He chooses rock and u have paper. You win right? Well not in Reborn, here the rock as thorns and pricks to tear that paper in half. Scissors? diamond on inside with lava that pours out when touched to melt rocks. Paper? made of tiny chemicals that explode if touched. (The OP choices are not for u mind btw)

Edited by H.P. Doom

Hi guys. Imma new face here. First of all, I had to thank Ame, glitchxcity and everybody else involved in... crafting such a fine game. Hats off to timber dragon too for that well-made description (i believe it should be a staple in a reborn's main advertising pamphlet :D)

I've came a long way with Pokemon; started with red and yellow back in 2000 (studied my ass off, aced the exam before ma bought me one lol) all the way up to BW2 (worked part-time for the DS). Honestly, I feel like what most people do with official Pokemon games; bland, and getting more bland with each new release. The only icing on the cake new versions offer are new mons, new graphics and some minor mini games/overhaul; story plot and battle-wise, it's pretty much the same thing, over, and over, and over. Sure, PvP is a great addition ever since it became mainstream in DP but then again, not everyone is of the competitive sort (i don't) and while it can be fun and all, in the end, that's that; you fight one person and stalk the waiting room (sometimes for hours) for another battle- the core game itself contributes very little to the fun. BW2 only managed to crank the fun up by a mere notch with the introduction of PWT. I do understand that nintendo aimed pokemon games mainly for kids but for them to set aside the grown-up fanbase so they can continue milking on the niche with the same, albeit slightly repurposed tool repeatedly, is almost evil- and enough's enough.

When I heard XY are going to be released for 3DS, I'm like "screw this, it's not worth it anymore for me to fork my cash and get a 3DS". By the time of ORAS, I almost got myself de-pokemon-ized; suggesting myself that pokemon games are things of the past and i have to move on from them since, well, i'm already thinking differently as an adult and the cliched 'story of friendship, bond between pet and master, fighting evil team striving to conquer the world, be the best like no one ever was in the pokemon world' formula barely appeals to me anymore.

....Then some time around Dec 2015, i saw pokemon reborn brought up in a certain game download site i frequent to. I held myself from checking it out till few weeks ago and as much as i had enough with pokemon, i managed to drag myself to the comments sections (mainly out of intrigue since it's for PC). Once i see words like 'very hard', 'adult-oriented story', 'limited roster so you have to use your head when making teams' and 'the best pokemon game there is out there', my curiosity got the best of me and the next sec, there I go, waiting few minutes for the 500mb's to pass.

I had to say the music remixes and the world design (especially reborn city and the wastelands) is done real good. Admittedly, it made me chuckle a little at first seeing the word 'shit' uttered by a pokemon game NPC but as the story goes, thing got more serious and immersive. Reborn city's various society castes, the sheer terror of team meteor, memorable and likeable characters (everytime i saw Cain i'm like "hey there, Cain mah nigga!") and literally happening deaths really impressed me on how such things can blend in so well with pokemon. Battle-wise, I purposely challenged myself to play with low-grind, majorly poison-type team (blastoise, muk, arbok, weezing, skuntank, magnezone); something I've never done in any other games before and boy, add that to how kickass the battles are, it's been a real blast! While I managed to clear most gyms with some ingenuity, some F12s and luck (and toxic :v), Luna got me whooped real good. I used so much F12 till i finally buckled up from the hopelessness of every strategy i came up with and had to backtrack to unlock the powerplant's hidden room just so I can evolve my magneton and have an extra edge over her. Really, battles are a thrill in this game; heck, underestimate roadside trainers at your own cost :v

Currently just arrived at Spinel City.

Back to the story, while that one police dude's death is a tragedy, nothing prepares me for Corey's fate; i thought something cliched will jump in at the last minute to save him and that no way a major character will die in a pokemon game- i'm glad my expectations are betrayed albeit in a gruesome way (he really went splat. poor shelly had to see that). By that time, I fully acknowledged it- this, is the pokemon game that I have been waiting for. A pokemon game that I can enjoy, not just for the pokemon and the intense battle difficulty but also for the gripping story and a surreal-yet-realistic theme that caters to adults.

You will live as a hobo.

- Can't put it any better. Up until 3rd gym, I'm always hovering between being a poor sod and a completely broke bloke. Most of the fund goes for pokeballs and potions, especially when higher tier balls and potions are scarce and your team got whacked up in practically EVERY.SINGLE.BATTLE. lol. It's a real scavenger's life in there.

If at first you don't succeed...

- True to the last word. Personally, type matching isn't the real issue in tough battles; it's the turn placement of your team and how well it counter the enemy's mon. A super effective attack aren't a sure-kill most of the time and switching either gives the enemy a bonus setup chance or the enemy possibly 1/2-shotting your next pitched mon. A good judgment is the key; sometimes it's not necessary to try dealing type weakness attack on the enemy when enduring damage in return/outspeeding the enemy becomes the top priority. Heck in some situations where push comes to shove, you had to sacrifice one of your mons to gain some leverage.

Gym leaders have no souls and receive sustenance from your hatred.

- They're tough, almost like fighting an online tourney- except that the frustration doubles from the fact that you got rekt by 'just an npc'. and then you realized you barely put a dent on half of their roster while you're left standing with one useable pokemon. and revive is locked up in the upper levels of the dept store. cthulhu really smiles on every battle in the game.

This guy.

charfern.png

- Oh yes. I never feel the need of a rival character since I view anyone that's better than me as a hurdle that i should overcome. Fern's existence is a blessing in which i finally, in a pokemon game, get an ARCHNEMESIS CHARACTER WHICH I'M MORE THAN GLAD TO MURDER WITH THE SLOWEST KILLING METHOD POSSIBLE.

In the end, it boils down to YOU.

- Playing a pretty much low-key team myself, I can attest to this. It really came down on how you approach the battle and the game. Heck even simply mashing through the NPC's dialogues will net you losses from skipping crucial infos.
Edited by armdaggerblade

Hi guys. Imma new face here. First of all, I had to thank Ame, glitchxcity and everybody else involved in... crafting such a fine game. Hats off to timber dragon too for that well-made description (i believe it should be a staple in a reborn's main advertising pamphlet :D)

I've came a long way with Pokemon; started with red and yellow back in 2000 (studied my ass off, aced the exam before ma bought me one lol) all the way up to BW2 (worked part-time for the DS). Honestly, I feel like what most people do with official Pokemon games; bland, and getting more bland with each new release. The only icing on the cake new versions offer are new mons, new graphics and some minor mini games/overhaul; story plot and battle-wise, it's pretty much the same thing, over, and over, and over. Sure, PvP is a great addition ever since it became mainstream in DP but then again, not everyone is of the competitive sort (i don't) and while it can be fun and all, in the end, that's that; you fight one person and stalk the waiting room (sometimes for hours) for another battle- the core game itself contributes very little to the fun. BW2 only managed to crank the fun up by a mere notch with the introduction of PWT. I do understand that nintendo aimed pokemon games mainly for kids but for them to set aside the grown-up fanbase so they can continue milking on the niche with the same, albeit slightly repurposed tool repeatedly, is almost evil- and enough's enough.

When I heard XY are going to be released for 3DS, I'm like "screw this, it's not worth it anymore for me to fork my cash and get a 3DS". By the time of ORAS, I almost got myself de-pokemon-ized; suggesting myself that pokemon games are things of the past and i have to move on from them since, well, i'm already thinking differently as an adult and the cliched 'story of friendship, bond between pet and master, fighting evil team striving to conquer the world, be the best like no one ever was in the pokemon world' formula barely appeals to me anymore.

....Then some time around Dec 2015, i saw pokemon reborn brought up in a certain game download site i frequent to. I held myself from checking it out till few weeks ago and as much as i had enough with pokemon, i managed to drag myself to the comments sections (mainly out of intrigue since it's for PC). Once i see words like 'very hard', 'adult-oriented story', 'limited roster so you have to use your head when making teams' and 'the best pokemon game there is out there', my curiosity got the best of me and the next sec, there I go, waiting few minutes for the 500mb's to pass.

I had to say the music remixes and the world design (especially reborn city and the wastelands) is done real good. Admittedly, it made me chuckle a little at first seeing the word 'shit' uttered by a pokemon game NPC but as the story goes, thing got more serious and immersive. Reborn city's various society castes, the sheer terror of team meteor, memorable and likeable characters (everytime i saw Cain i'm like "hey there, Cain mah nigga!") and literally happening deaths really impressed me on how such things can blend in so well with pokemon. Battle-wise, I purposely challenged myself to play with low-grind, majorly poison-type team (blastoise, muk, arbok, weezing, skuntank, magnezone); something I've never done in any other games before and boy, add that to how kickass the battles are, it's been a real blast! While I managed to clear most gyms with some ingenuity, some F12s and luck (and toxic :v), Luna got me whooped real good. I used so much F12 till i finally buckled up from the hopelessness of every strategy i came up with and had to backtrack to unlock the powerplant's hidden room just so I can evolve my magneton and have an extra edge over her. Really, battles are a thrill in this game; heck, underestimate roadside trainers at your own cost :v

Currently just arrived at Spinel City.

Back to the story, while that one police dude's death is a tragedy, nothing prepares me for Corey's fate; i thought something cliched will jump in at the last minute to save him and that no way a major character will die in a pokemon game- i'm glad my expectations are betrayed albeit in a gruesome way (he really went splat. poor shelly had to see that). By that time, I fully acknowledged it- this, is the pokemon game that I have been waiting for. A pokemon game that I can enjoy, not just for the pokemon and the intense battle difficulty but also for the gripping story and a surreal-yet-realistic theme that caters to adults.

I like this guy. Has a lot of potential.

Just wait till you get the to the end of E15. See how long you last without wanting to do a second playthrough.

Edited by Dragon116

• 1 month later...

You face Shelly and you think Bugs eh, this will be fun, out comes Yanmega and Speed Boost RIP Fire and Flying types.

honestly, her anorith is the main doom to a fire/flying type, it just outspeeds and rock slides you to death, or if it doesn't outspeed it uses aqua jet

honestly, her anorith is the main doom to a fire/flying type, it just outspeeds and rock slides you to death, or if it doesn't outspeed it uses aqua jet

I remember my braixen surviving that entire fight, you just have to use it smartly (set the field ablaze). In fact it was so saddening how easy it made that entire fight.

Great noticed my Sceptile has more Sp.Atk then Atk i need Leaf Storm or Giga Drain on my Sceptile for it to be good on my team and i got a bad natured noibat on my team need to find some new members for my Reborn team. Right now my Meowstic and my Simisear carry my team.

Edited by RedKessel

• 2 weeks later...

Serra, I officially hate you.

I feel like I'm curbstomping Cory's ghost by training his team members.

I hate this game for making me feel whenever somebody dies.

I hate the field effects.

...And DEAR GOD FERN SHUT UP!!!

That being said... this game is freaking amazing haha

Also, why can't you seem to fish for Tentacool? I get that the lake is full of deadly poison and that it's full of Grimers and Muks but still... Tentacool is a poison type, it could probably live in those conditions.

Also, why can't you seem to fish for Tentacool? I get that the lake is full of deadly poison and that it's full of Grimers and Muks but still... Tentacool is a poison type, it could probably live in those conditions.

It's really just a matter of how good Tentacruel is. It's very bulky, fast, can deal some nice damage, and has a fairly good movepool, which is why it's always been UU/BL/OU in Smogon's competitive tiers. It is available from the Mystery Egg and may be available in diving areas later, though.

We don't want to make things too easy, do we? Tentacruel would be everyone's go-to fat poison type. As Chubb said, it has great bulk, respectable offenses and great speed for a defensive Pokemon, with such good level-up moves that it's just too good for this bit of the game. We should be glad that we at least have the powerhouse known as adaptability Dragalge available relatively soon.

If youre looking for a logical explanation, perhaps we can say that tentacool are found only underwater, even in the polluted lake, and we don't have Dive yet to go and find them.

Isn't the whole "don't want to make the game too easy" thing bullshit anyways? You can choose pretty much the most powerful non-legendary Pokemon as a starter after all. And Diggersby, which is massively stronger than Tentacruel is available early as well.

But whatever, I have another question: Which parts of the story correspond to which Episode? I started playing at 15 and don't have a clue what people are talking about when they say something like "you can *insert random thing* after you finish Episode 9".

Edited by Sohn der Höhe

Isn't the whole "don't want to make the game too easy" thing bullshit anyways? You can choose pretty much the most powerful non-legendary Pokemon as a starter after all. And Diggersby, which is massively stronger than Tentacruel is available early as well.

But whatever, I have another question: Which parts of the story correspond to which Episode? I started playing at 15 and don't have a clue what people are talking about when they say something like "you can *insert random thing* after you finish Episode 9".

It's hard to explain but the reason why a lot of the "popular" pokemon aren't available near the start is so that people use a bigger variety of Pokemon and get a bit creative. Reborn started back when Gen V was kind of new. Gen VI made a ton of Pokemon fall from grace (and helped others) which made the obtainable Pokemon a big jumbled mess. There's reason to this madness, though I do disagree with some of Ame's choices, as you have to work for the better mons such as Rotom (who is a beast against Terra and Ciel).

• 3 months later...

Oh boy I love how relevant this thread remains even two years later. Sure a few of the exact details are outdated ("5500 for a Magikarp" reduced to 500 and a never-ending quest), but the overall message rings true throughout the ages. RIP everyone's idea of a competitive team.