15th Gym Does Not Feel Remotely Winnable

pizzagod13

I have no idea what to do, usually I could see a potential path to victory, but not this time. Spoilers for 15th gym.

Spoiler

All of Saki's mons feel nigh unkillable and she can one shot my entire team with her stupid death beam move.

I tried thinking of other plans, such as using a Blissey and going for minimize cheese, but there is no way my luck would hold for long enough, since Blissey dies in one hit to the STUPID DEATH BEAM, which does insane damage and lowers stats. I also play without items and on set mode, but honestly, since I am getting one-shot so items do not feel very helpful anyway.

My available mons are 

Magnezone

Blissey

Garchomp

Scizor

Greninja

Espeon

Lycanroc (dusk i think? The one that has tough claws as its ability anyway)

Incineroar

Sylveon

Oricorio (electric)

Vanilluxe

Tangrowth

Venusaur

I have two synthetic seeds I can use, but they feel completely worthless, like when Saki uses them she becomes unkillable, but if I use them, I still die in one hit.

Any suggestions on how in the hell to beat this would be very much appreciated, because it seems impossible right now.

FINALLY MANAGED TO WIN!

I took the suggestion of using wonder room turn 1, my Golduck then survivied and I soaked the Aggron. Then I sent in Mangnazone which causes her to swtich to Bronzong, so I used volt switch into Greninja and killed Bronzong with Surf. Then she sent in the Steel/Dragon mon, so I used Sheninja (seed) to kill it. Then she sent in Corvonight which I stalled for like 50 turns. Then it died to will-o-wisp burn. I then had exactly 1 will-o-wisp and dig left, so I burned the Bastidon and then digged it for the KO. She then sent out Metagross and I used my Maganzone to bring it down low and then finished it off with the rest of my team. Aggron was easy pickings for my Scizor. 

Edited by pizzagod13

Spoiler

I had extreme trouble with Saki compared to every other battles in V13 and I have to do research on the field and everything.

I discovered that Wonder Room is activated at start of battle and discovered that it is extremely broken when paired with glitch field. Wonder Room allows defense to be swapped with special defense and then for the glitch field, the higher value of special defense or attack will count as special attack, which is why you see pokemons like Aggron and Bronzong kick ass with those special moves when their special attack stats aren't high (because their ridiculously high sp def value is now its sp atk).

First thing first, I know wonder room has to go so their sp def drops and thus also their sp.atk as a result. Go catch a golduck (who learns wonder room by levelling) and quickly level it up to 85, use it for first pokemon, this golduck can optionally be just a fodder to disable that wonder room, and the battle will get a lot easier. Get team of pokemon that uses fire, ground and status moves that either burns or paralyzes, and you should be fine. The wonder room is what's making Saki's pokemon so broken and seemingly unbeatable. I resetted around 10 times and can barely get past 2 of her pokemons because it's too tanky and either one-shot or reduce my pokemon to half hp on top of that extremely powerful unique move that reduces either atk/sp.atk or def/sp.def.

Hope it helps.

4 hours ago, chvtky said:

First thing first, I know wonder room has to go so their sp def drops and thus also their sp.atk as a result. Go catch a golduck (who learns wonder room by levelling) and quickly level it up to 85, use it for first pokemon, this golduck can optionally be just a fodder to disable that wonder room, and the battle will get a lot easier.

How does Golduck disable the Wonder Room? I tried stalling but once the 8 turns of Wonder Room passed, it just resets. 

Note that this is on Normal mode so I could use healing items . For this gym I specifically went and got a drifblim ev trained it for speed and with the following moveset hypnosis , minimize , baton pass and if you can get it substitute . After 3 minimizes i batton passed to blaziken bulked up and swept . I needed a lot of luck and did many resets. Anything else I tried before training that drifblim i couldnt get passed 2 of her pokemon . Unfortunately sweeping the gym is the only way I can think of beating this gym . 

Synthetic seeds didnt do much . Oh and also I used focus band on blaziken which popped off against bastiodon . So I would reccomend put it on your sweeper . 

• Veterans

Hey, please send this feedback to the feedback form that's linked in this thread, it'd be very helpful for us to improve gameplay experience in the future!

3 hours ago, No name said:

How does Golduck disable the Wonder Room? I tried stalling but once the 8 turns of Wonder Room passed, it just resets. 

Golduck learns wonder room by levelling, re-using wonder room when there's an active wonder room will cancel the existing wonder room effect. Therefore, if you use the wonder room move during your first turn against Saki, you technically disabled wonder room for good during the remainder of the battle. I don't recall wonder room being renewed after it is disabled. Also, I doubt one can stall the wonder room effect during that particular battle, so disabling it is the key to neutralize her crazy offense and defense. The battle gets easier for me once I turned wonder room off and I managed to beat her in that same attempt afterwards; her pokemons don't hurt as bad as before thereafter.

The battle can be cheesed by using a seeded shedinja. Since it's typeless it doesn't have weaknesses. With this strategy your only problems are Bastiodon and Corviknight. Corviknight has to be Will-o-wisp stalled for tens of turns, I recommend buying some Leppa Berries. And thanks to the Crest Bastiodon will kill your Shed unless you Will-o-wisp stall it. It's not as bad as Corvi, but still bad. After that assuming you are at +6 attack thanks to Hone Claws you should sweep everything with Dig

16 minutes ago, vivaCH said:

Btw, how in the world Mega-Metagross is faster than Talonflame with normal moves? Moreover with the gale wings ability. Don't see anything in wonder guard or in glitch field that justifies that...

IDK are you EV/IV trained and have a speed boosting nature?

The Metagross Definitely is. Could explain why it outspeeds you

1 hour ago, pizzagod13 said:

IDK are you EV/IV trained and have a speed boosting nature?

The Metagross Definitely is. Could explain why it outspeeds you

Yeah it is perfectly trained.
And with the ability gale wings, it should EVER be faster when HP are at max, even if it is slower. So that's really strange
Metagross also faster than Greninja perfectly trained lol.

4 hours ago, vivaCH said:

Yeah it is perfectly trained.
And with the ability gale wings, it should EVER be faster when HP are at max, even if it is slower. So that's really strange
Metagross also faster than Greninja perfectly trained lol.

Metagross has been eating their vegetables

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had 3 pokemon I thought worked well. I had my torterra with his crest on with earthquake and slash&burn as apart of his moveset. I had my arcanine spam Will-o-wisp, and use other fire based moves. I also found my silvally to be helpful w/ his multi attack, but yeah with what Harsh said. Spam burn and have revives :0

Edit: oh whoops, read the bottom of your post and saw that you won! Congrats :0!

Edited by Spoots

11 hours ago, vivaCH said:

Btw, how in the world Mega-Metagross is faster than Talonflame with normal moves? Moreover with the gale wings ability. Don't see anything in wonder guard or in glitch field that justifies that...

Some of the pokemon in intense has illegal Ev and Base Stat, i guess this is what happens, it was the same for me cuz somehow her metagross outspeed my Timid Max IV/EV Gengar

And one more question. Her Super U.M.D wtf is that?

I used Charm on her first mon with my A-Raichu, the damage is exactly the same, so it should be a special move no?

So I used Light Screen with my psyduck after getting rid of wonder room and it STILL DOES THE SAME DAMAGE then on my A-Raichu wtf

This fight just doesn't make sense...

Rain Team Mega Swampert goes insane. But I did need to work at it. (Normal Mode, btw)

I had a suicide lead Skarmory to set up Rocks in order to break Bastiodon's sturdy. I Mirror Coated the Aggron with my Milotic to take it out.

AI got smarter in this update. I set up my rain with Pelipper and got Swampert in safely, but she would switch into Corviknight each time (pretty cool, ngl). Alolan-Raichu took care of Corviknight pretty easily with Life Orb Thunderbolt (luckily mine is 31/252 Modest and it could have been a roll for a 2-hit KO otherwise)

Swampert outsped and OHKO'd Mega Metagross, Duraladon, Bastiodon (thanks to Rocks) and Bronzong was chipped with waterfall from previous switch-ins from Corviknight that it could not take another.

I bet Reversal strats are insane here

I mean... i won at the first try without want to, because i miss narrative before the fight ( was clicking X and it fastfoward all the chat they had) so i took the oportunity to see what her team was all about...

Well i almost sweep her entire team with only chandelure and the rest with sylvally and garchomp, in my first try...

This was my team..

image.thumb.png.2f2225d2f3dc38266c0163dcb74c252f.pngimage.thumb.png.5503d05471411e717d4a86d00d18bbe9.png

image.thumb.png.ee390516092e974fa365bc053af4f12f.pngimage.thumb.png.1de716b0e98f8d24e4991fb81d03b33e.png

image.thumb.png.7c31222aac3edc9f50f3fad5e97025c6.png

image.thumb.png.330afc884f9c35370b6cf61260b1a0af.pngimage.thumb.png.2ae4dd77ace836f90832bf979ff60a65.png

Edited by Wolflux

7 hours ago, fellowry said:

Some of the pokemon in intense has illegal Ev and Base Stat, i guess this is what happens, it was the same for me cuz somehow her metagross outspeed my Timid Max IV/EV Gengar

Gengar at level 85 should have 298 speed, Mega Metagross at level 90 has 315 speed, at max IVs and EVs with a speed nature

3 hours ago, vivaCH said:

And one more question. Her Super U.M.D wtf is that?

I used Charm on her first mon with my A-Raichu, the damage is exactly the same, so it should be a special move no?

So I used Light Screen with my psyduck after getting rid of wonder room and it STILL DOES THE SAME DAMAGE then on my A-Raichu wtf

This fight just doesn't make sense...

I noticed the same thing lol. Move does not seem to play by the rules

2 minutes ago, Clearly Sus said:

UMD is a physical move, not sure if intense increases the power of the move

It really does not feel that way. I tried boosting my defense against it and took the same exact damage. Maybe it ignores stat changes or something?

One of my tactics against Mega Metagross, Bastidion, and Duraldon, was using my Rhyperior to OHKO them, after a stealth rock. See the wonder room also works against Saki since the defenses for her team are weaker against a physical attacker now.

I gave my Rhyperior a Focus sash sure, it's just a chance of surviving, but it's better than nothing, and he's enough to faint the Metagross in one blow, and outspeed Bastidon and Duraldon. It's important to deal with these the last since Saki will just switch out the latter two if she sees my Rhyperior.  

Of course, remember the Basidon's crest, so if you have to faint Bastidon, make sure they are at full health.  Like in one of my runs, Bastidon and Rhyperior fainted each other, and it counted as MY loss. I won in the end, but hell of a nasty surprise. 

Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Clearly Sus said:

UMD is a physical move, not sure if intense increases the power of the move

1 hour ago, pizzagod13 said:

It really does not feel that way. I tried boosting my defense against it and took the same exact damage. Maybe it ignores stat changes or something?

it uses whatever defense on your mon is lower, so its most likely going to do heavy damage no matter how many times you boost it (unless youre using cosmic power/an all stats up)

21 minutes ago, bloww said:

it uses whatever defense on your mon is lower, so its most likely going to do heavy damage no matter how many times you boost it (unless youre using cosmic power/an all stats up)

I used cosmic power clefable with screens and I still got 1/2 shot depending how far in boosting I managed to get. Might not have been a defensive spread (except for 252 hp), but still being boosted to +6 defenses and or having screens on as well and being 2 shot is still kinda broken...

3 hours ago, Magus543 said:

One of my tactics against Mega Metagross, Bastidion, and Duraldon, was using my Rhyperior to OHKO them, after a stealth rock. See the wonder room also works against Saki since the defenses for her team are weaker against a physical attacker now.

I gave my Rhyperior a Focus sash sure, it's just a chance of surviving, but it's better than nothing, and he's enough to faint the Metagross in one blow, and outspeed Bastidon and Duraldon. It's important to deal with these the last since Saki will just switch out the latter two if she sees my Rhyperior.  

Of course, remember the Basidon's crest, so if you have to faint Bastidon, make sure they are at full health.  Like in one of my runs, Bastidon and Rhyperior fainted each other, and it counted as MY loss. I won in the end, but hell of a nasty surprise. 

Good luck. 

I did manage to beat it with much more cheesy tactics.  I removed wonder room got her to switch away from Aggron, knocked out the Bronzong then swapped into a Shedninja with a seed to kill her Duraldon, stall out the Corvonight until it ran out of roosts and burned to death and then traded with the Bastiodon. Just had to fight the Metagross and Aggron after which wasn't too bad, took only a few tries once I picked out the team I used.

I had no focus sash, so that type of strategies was not an option for me...