[OFFICIAL] Desolation Devs Q&A (EP5 Thread)

Ok so I thought of another fun question for Posty and Ruby. What mons would you like/want to get a mega? 

And what head canons do you guys have involving the characters before and after helping with development?

Are we introducing a new character this episode? Like ep 4 introduced Aurora as the new character.  By the way, except ep 1, it seems all other episodes ended with a cliff hanger situation... Caz should just go and get a masters in storytelling, with the amount of talent seen in deso. 

• Global Mods
10 hours ago, Frozenwolf94 said:

Ok so I thought of another fun question for Posty and Ruby. What mons would you like/want to get a mega? 

And what head canons do you guys have involving the characters before and after helping with development?

1. We can't say due to it being a potential spoilers because Caz is very easily convinced if it looks cool as hell LOL but Ruby and I played around with the idea of a Mega Ninetales but it resembled Ninetails from Okami...

2. Well throughout development, I have come to head canon Garret as a really bad sheriff (with inspiration from Kenny from AoT) who has a catchphrase like ... "You've yee'd your last haw you criminal scum" 

10 hours ago, BRS swag said:

Are we introducing a new character this episode? Like ep 4 introduced Aurora as the new character.  By the way, except ep 1, it seems all other episodes ended with a cliff hanger situation... Caz should just go and get a masters in storytelling, with the amount of talent seen in deso. 

Well I'm not going to say anything but if you go back to the end of e4, a few characters mentions a certain someone who you will be meeting in e5! But who knows who else you may or may not meet :']

Hey, great seeing this picking up again~ I wonder just how much further we are into the complete story with Episode 5? I also wonder how you plan the story ahead. Do you plan ahead all scenes up until the end of story before beginning development, or are you doing it in per episode basis?

• Developers
On 6/13/2020 at 4:50 AM, Plasma said:

My only question soo far is that will the game have a MKXP port?

We're looking at options like this in the future. It is far beyond my expertise with Essentials, but once we find someone who is able to help us with shifting to a new engine (which I imagine to be an incredibly difficult task), we'll explore this.

11 hours ago, KenKeniff said:

How long will episode 5 be?

As we're currently in beta testing, I don't yet have a reasonable answer for this. Even once I do, it'll depend on whether you complete side quests, or focus entirely on the main story.

10 hours ago, Phi-Bi said:

Hey, great seeing this picking up again~ I wonder just how much further we are into the complete story with Episode 5? I also wonder how you plan the story ahead. Do you plan ahead all scenes up until the end of story before beginning development, or are you doing it in per episode basis?

As an estimate, I would say approximately 55%. I've planned out the entire story from to a fair degree, which means that writing each episode typically just involves filling in the blanks, which I do at the start of each episode's development. I really like being flexible with the story.

4 hours ago, Matt_ said:

Will the gameplay from the previous episodes be changed at all or will the Episode 5 update only include the next episode?

All content from prior episodes has been changed significantly, and E5 will contain these changes, as well as E5 itself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Caz said:

All content from prior episodes has been changed significantly, and E5 will contain these changes, as well as E5 itself.

IM reading these questions and answer's now anddddddddd okay my hunch was right, i stopped my game play because i re-did my whole PC in a restore and i started desolation in april but im still at the beginning (I was gonna wait until v5 released to see if it it changed. And it looks like it is, so im gonna start over again once its released, because i wanna see what everything looks like, even though its just hit me that all id have to do is go back to the beginning and see the landscape (You dingus:talking to myself) but still im just gonna start over lol

• Global Mods
3 hours ago, GenEric said:

will there be guns? if there are, can ava have a gun?

yes the game has now been dubbed Pokemon Gunsolation, everyone has guns, but who knows what kind of guns

1 hour ago, TayJess said:

is there a obtainable list?

Read the FAQ

36 minutes ago, bruhtonium said:

Will there be an field effect manual like in rejuvenation ?

Funny enough one of our Beta Testers mentioned this, yeah I'll make a Field Effect Manual because we have adjusted a few fields, also taken a field or two and made it our own

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Excited that this game has returned 🙂

I got questions for each of you three:

1) Caz: Do any non-Pokemon games influence your story & game design philosophies? I feel a bit of Final Fantasy (6,7, and 10 especially) in the plot, and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in the guild quests. I could see tidbits of Legend of Zelda in some dungeon designs, too.

2) Ruby: What/who are some of your biggest artistic influences? I adore how you draw eyes & eyelashes especially! Oh, and I checked your IG page and this Nezuko drawing is really adorable:

Spoiler

69707595_RubyNezuko.thumb.jpg.4bd53e04dbe5834b2b69817f649f9488.jpg

3) Posty: Have you ever dabbled in Smogon, VGC, or competitive battling? If not no worries but if yes, which tiers/gen? Looking forward to seeing your rebalancing of Desolation (and taking notes for my own fangame lol)

Edited by LightningKillua

• Developers
1 hour ago, LightningKillua said:

1) Caz: Do any non-Pokemon games influence your story & game design philosophies? I feel a bit of Final Fantasy (6,7, and 10 especially) in the plot, and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in the guild quests. I could see tidbits of Legend of Zelda in some dungeon designs, too.

Final Fantasy 7 for me was a biggie (including its less known baby sibling, Crisis Core), when it came to creating the plot. Another big game for me was actually Dark Souls - not the difficulty, obviously, but the fact that many facets of its story are left to the player to make their own conclusions. While I want the overall story to be digestible, I want to leave a lot of the overarching stuff to the players interpretation. The nature of the side quests isn't really inspired by anything in particular. I just wanted the ability to tell multiple smaller stories that I thought could be fun, but were obviously undeserving of their own individual fan-game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Caz said:

Final Fantasy 7 for me was a biggie (including its less known baby sibling, Crisis Core), when it came to creating the plot. Another big game for me was actually Dark Souls - not the difficulty, obviously, but the fact that many facets of its story are left to the player to make their own conclusions. While I want the overall story to be digestible, I want to leave a lot of the overarching stuff to the players interpretation. The nature of the side quests isn't really inspired by anything in particular. I just wanted the ability to tell multiple smaller stories that I thought could be fun, but were obviously undeserving of their own individual fan-game.

Is it safe to assume a muscular guy with really beautiful hair will summon a huge rock heading towards the planet 

• Developers
30 minutes ago, GenEric said:

Is it safe to assume a muscular guy with really beautiful hair will summon a huge rock heading towards the planet 

I don't want to confirm anything just yet

• Like 1
  • Hmm 4

• Global Mods
7 hours ago, LightningKillua said:

3) Posty: Have you ever dabbled in Smogon, VGC, or competitive battling? If not no worries but if yes, which tiers/gen? Looking forward to seeing your rebalancing of Desolation (and taking notes for my own fangame lol)

I have actually (main reason why I started working on Deso was because I had knowledge on Team Building and wanted to help implement some balance) I started doing a lot more VGC when SwSh came out because I enjoyed the meta and wanted to do a bit more comp battling. I don't really play Smogon tiers though, if I did it would probably be OU, sometimes UU, also I am currently in a Draft League or have been for the past 3 years! So I have a good amount of knowledge on competitive battling 🙂

• Like 1

• Veterans
9 hours ago, LightningKillua said:

2) Ruby: What/who are some of your biggest artistic influences? I adore how you draw eyes & eyelashes especially! Oh, and I checked your IG page and this Nezuko drawing is really adorable:

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for the compliments!

This might be a bit anticlimactic but I don't really have an artist as my artistic influence, but the media I consume has really helped my artstyle become my own! My older art style (up till october last year) was pretty heavily inspired by s1-2 of attack on titan's art style. I'm pretty sure my art from then was pretty edgy looking, but since I'm obsessed with Demon Slayer now lol it kind of helped change my art style to become more soft? (yet with my own original flair to it)- I used to refer to my art as semi-realism but now I rarely draw in that older style (exceptions being when I draw my OC's Ruby yeah same name I know and Cedric, but they look softer than they used to). Sorry if this was a bit rambly lol. Talking about my art style exposes the weeb in me but I can't lie that I haven't been inspired by it lol haha~

• Like 2

• Veterans
4 minutes ago, GenEric said:

How old are the characters exactly? 

If they were to partake in a drinking game, who would get drunk the fastest and who would stay sober? 

I asked Caz a bit ago and he didn't give everyone a specific age and i have my own headcanons, but all of them are adults and iirc.. (srry if i forget some charas,)

Protags, Connor, Ava, Scarlett, Tristan, Hardy, (REDACTED), Sena : 18-21 (the protags are canonically adults but ppl can headcanon w/e)
Shiv, Aurora, Nova, Amelia, Emily, Aderyn, Garret(?) : 21-25
Garret??????? Lilith, Rosetta, (SPOILER), 25-28
Baron: no clue. I assume at least 50+ lol 

also, ur asking the real questions now. these are my hc's in case caz decides to respond lol
(gonna include the ppl 21+ bc drinking ages vary 😔)

Fastest drunk? this is entierly bc I think it'd be hilarious but shiv/aurora/garret
Sad n Sober? Spoiler character but also probably Baron

ily for these funny q's they keep my sanity 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ruby Red said:

I asked Caz a bit ago and he didn't give everyone a specific age and i have my own headcanons, but all of them are adults and iirc.. (srry if i forget some charas,)

Protags, Connor, Ava, Scarlett, Tristan, Hardy, (REDACTED), Sena : 18-21 (the protags are canonically adults but ppl can headcanon w/e)
Shiv, Aurora, Nova, Amelia, Emily, Aderyn, Garret(?) : 21-25
Garret??????? Lilith, Rosetta, (SPOILER), 25-28
Baron: no clue. I assume at least 50+ lol 

also, ur asking the real questions now. these are my hc's in case caz decides to respond lol
(gonna include the ppl 21+ bc drinking ages vary 😔)

Fastest drunk? this is entierly bc I think it'd be hilarious but shiv/aurora/garret
Sad n Sober? Spoiler character but also probably Baron

ily for these funny q's they keep my sanity 

Hc hottest sheriff in town gets into bar fights after half a shot of whiskey

• Like 2