[IC] Trespassers LF: The Teleglitch Incident

StormLord

"Thank you, Sir Roy." Yvette said as she closed her eyes to think for a bit "The main things that I have noticed so far are the lights this place has. Most of what my world uses for lighting is candles, torches, or things enchanted with light magic for a permanent source of light with no flame but I haven't sense any magic from what is here." Yvette said as she pointed to a light. "After that would be that item that the dear Baron used as a weapon it shot metal and fire out as easily as a wand can but once again no magic is involved." She said cutely making a shooting motion with her hand. "And the last things are two items that our benefactor mentioned before she sent me a thing know as an AI and a thing know as a computer neither of this two things are familiar to me." She finished giving her smile once more.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh, hmm, that's easy! But it's usually a little better if you can be a bit more specific. Like, there's some magic weapons that make people feel weird, some that move stuff around to hit people with, and some that make explosions, who knows! Endless possibilities. I have an easier time finding something nicer though when it's a bit more specific." Morp is wobbling back and forth, in a manner oddly reminiscent of someone thinking hard on a subject

"But, Shamhat, don't be too specific! I might not have anything, and it's kinda depressing to go searching for something in the collection, and then realize there's nothing there. Very sad. But the collection's not finished yet, so I'm hoping that happens less and less!"

Deadlift simply crumples the tube shut.

"So that hallway must lead to the outside anyway.  Probably?"  Deadlift comments out loud.

"My Spirit Energy.  It's intense enough that I can make objects harder, and more durable.  It can also make me stronger, physically."

"Without using spirit energy, it's nearly impossible to defeat another user of spirit energy with weapons and musculature alone."

"Erm... I want a magic weapon that can make explosions, then!" Shamhat added. "By the way, since you're collecting these things throughout places... do you feel attached to any of them?"

"Most weapons in my possession took me quite a lot of effort to get, so I wouldn't part ways with any of them. How about your collection, then?"

"Oh! Did you find a way out? I'm honestly feeling a little cramped and paranoid right now and getting some fresh air could be nice." Hirata then gestures at the surrounding walls before she said, "Also what is spirit energy? How did you learn to use it? And how are you producing it? Also can you get me some more metal and machinery along the way please?"

"I don't know.  There's a great deal of toxic gas behind this wall, and down one of those halls behind some rubble."

Deadlift pauses for a while.  Looking for the right words to explain it.

"Spirit energy, or Reiki, is energy possessed by all humans.  It is manifested through emotion, and utilized by the spiritually aware."

"I learned to manifest spirit energy from-  -my old master.  Toguro.  And then I learned how to grow it to staggering new heights from the same person years later."

Deadlift speaks in an odd inflection, when talking about his training.

"It requires brutal training and dedication to master.  Though anyone could potentially utilize it."

"I know of another scientist who was able to make use of it, by manipulating the brains of humans using strange demonic organs attached to their spines.  It was not enough for him to defeat his opponents, however."

"Interesting.... does anyone living on your world have any valid scientific theories on how you and others manipulate this energy? Because if not then I might ask you to consent for some non invasive.... experiments later, since if we can figure out how you do it, then I might be able to make you even stronger than you have ever been before~.

"Well I think you might want to consider concerning yourself with the sciences more, at the very least you might find a better exercise regime.... or you know, find out that swords are supposed to be sharp," Hirata said with a playful tone, as her hands typed something out on a screen invisible to everyone else.

"That it requires extraordinary proof, which you can rather easily provide, there is nothing 'ordinary' about a man tearing into steel with his hands, or suddenly growing and decreasing in height." She shrugged her shoulders before she said, "And no, I don't know if I can make filters strong enough with what I have available.... although, while you're here, may I ask you for a favor? It involves a lot of physical exercise, but it should allow us to move faster than walking pace everywhere."

Evelyn

A bit of the terminology being used was lost on Evelyn for a few seconds, but nevertheless, she narrowed her eyes on the contents of the message. They were studying this... Thing. With only a single glance back that it, Evelyn knew how foolish that was. This thing was unnatural and should've been destroyed as soon as it appeared. Instead, they had kept it here and tried to research it, and judging by the state of the place and the message, it was likely that this place went to hell not long after it appeared.

It seems the Healing Church wasn't the only idiotic organization that existed, unsurprisingly.

However, while the possibility was small, perhaps their research left something she could use, which she began to look in the crates for. While she doubted she would find anything that would purge this thing... She'd likely find something later on. Fate had a strange way of making sure of that.

Evelyn

With a frustrated sigh, Evelyn slammed the last crate closed. Why was every single one of these damned things either empty or filled with nails? It didn't make any sense why they would be left there.

Well, whatever. Perhaps there wasn't anything here but another possibly Great One. But, with the other two rooms, there was more possibilities.

So, keeping her weapons out, Evelyn begins moving to the left room.

Well there’s a lot of different ways ways to do thiings. Since they aren’t Useing magic in the lights, there almost certainly Useing electricity. There are plenty of ways to generate it magicaly and otherwise, and it can be used to power things.”

“I would need to get a look at the gun, but it most likely uses some form of explosion to propel the metal. Since the container of the explosion won’t give, the blast only has one way to go. And it takes the ammo with it. Of course, there are also other kinds of guns”

“In terms of AI and computers, it’s easiest to explain the latter first.

At it’s most basic, a computer is a machine that processes information. They can be made in many different ways, and come in many forms, some magic, some mundane, and some a bit of both. Some as small as your hands or as large as a room. If you want to get really technical, a brain is just type of advanced computer found in nature.”

“you can program a computer to accomplish pretty much any task, if you know what your doing, and have the right parts.

and that’s where AI, Artificial intelligence comes in.”

“A program which can make decisions based on data it receives.

Some are simple and aren’t really intelligent, used for basic task or entertainment. 

But on the other hand, some of them can be on the same level as a human, or even greater, many such types can even feel emotion.. In my world we have classes, and ranks to describe the ‘level’ of our AI”

“Of course we also use this system to discribe other forms of Artificial Intelligence, such as homunculi.”

He picks up his wolf pup.

”This little guy here, is a recent creation, only been around for a few minutes. But as you can see it’s not acting like a complete newborn, and already is more or less obedient to me. That’s because when I made him, I gave him the appropriate Class and Rank in intelligence, and then added pre-programmed information so he could be useful and mostly trained right away. As an example of an artificial life form, he technically exists as an AI. Though you aren’t really going to call him a computer or AI in a casual conversation.”

He was tipping his hand now. Sacrificing one element of surprise. But still....

He puts the wolf down and lifts his arm. The one with what seems to be a colorful sleeve on it.

Theres a ridge on it, which he runs a finger down

”This however, is much closer to your typical computer.”

The PBA shows what it truly is, wings unfurling, revealing its legs and body. The wings change color, forming a screen from there surface.

”This one is biological in nature, and though made with magic, is MOSTLY mundane in its actual construction, Useing bio electricity to power it. It’s got pretty much all the functions of your typical personal, portable computer, and then some. Wireless access and communication, sound, visuals. All that fun stuff. I keep notes in here, use it to communicate vast distances, research, and conduct various businesses.”

Yvette nodded at Roy's explanation, not the kind of nod that one gives just to polite but one of genuine interest and attempt to understand. Yvette waited for Roy finished his explanation before speaking. "I see," she said as she closed her putting the information to memory. "By the sound of it, this electricity is probably created and stored somewhere else and sent to these lights somehow or at least that what would make sense. And it sounds like I might need to obtain one of these guns as you called them and study it myself to fully understand them." She said as she crossed her arms under her chest while moving one of her hands gracefully to her mouth in thought.

"Hmm...an AI seems very reminiscent of golems in my world you create them and give them order then they execute their orders to the best of the abilities you gave them. and these computers seem to be a combination of scrying, messaging and a book. Would I be correct in these comparisons?" she paused and moved closer to Roy to get a better look at his computer. "And I have one last question. How does one interact with these computers and if it's not to much trouble would I be able to perform the simplest of interaction with yours if it's not too much of an  imposition." She asked giving Roy a slight view of her cleavage along with her smile. 

"Well, sort of! But, sometimes I can get more stuff in the future by parting with stuff now. It's kinda funny, but it works, usually. And I mean, there's some stuff that's really neat, but the coolest stuff is my books, and I usually don't trade those. The others stuff in the collection, I use it to trade forbooks from time to time. See, I want the biggest possible book collection, and collecting other things is sort of a stepping stone. Though the other stuff is always neat too."

Morp will go searching in his collection for items capable of making magic explosions. Roll a 1d4-1 to see how many items he has in the field, then a statless check to determine the danger/usefulness/reliability/understandibility of the item once people start using it.

“Your pretty much right on the money with with electricity. They most likely have a generator somewhere in the building. With the electricity going through the building’s internal wiring”

“A golem would also be something of an AI. Effectively a golem is just a magic robot, which are machines controlled by computers.”

“Your a little off on the computer. Those are mostly common functions, but they are capable of far more. I suppose it would be easier for you to learn if you had something to work with. Hang on.”

He gathers up the four remaining mutant corpses in a pile, and cast a few spells. Soon enough he has a pile of biomass, and has added something complicated looking to a list in his computer.

“Im suprised these things where functional, There DNA was not exactly put together well. I did get some intresting patterns out of them though, now then.”

He cast a spell over it again, bringing the pile under his complete domination, and severing a lump of flesh.

It twist and shapes itself under his gaze, cells forced into place, connections made, DNA re-written. 

The basic bios and wireless connection programing is put into place. It’s blank white wings display simple information, and a keyboard 

>NO OS DETECTED.

>

Roy types in a command.

>Acsess local device, “PBA_Master_unit. 01”

>Assessing: confirmation required.

Roy then fiddles with his own system for a bit. 

>Acsess granted. Command received. Now downloading and installing “PBA OS l_A”

It takes a few minuets but soon blue washes over the wings, then red. Then many other colors before displaying a white and blue screen. Similar to a desktop.

He picks it up and hands it to her.

”Now, where would you like to begin?”

Spoiler

Yvette’s PBA (Personal butterfly assistant): A bio-computer made in the image of a butterfly (though it seems to have little spider legs on where its head would be, but placed as though they were like mandibles.) It is fully functional, comparable to, and in some ways superior to most mundane modern systems. When inactive, it resembles a colorful sleeve, and can be mistaken for part of its owner’s clothing. Additionally it has a grappling hook esque function built in. Allowing it to fire a thick sticky cord of a silk like substance, on which its owner can swing, or draw in. Where it produces and stores all this silk is a mystery. Unlike Roy’s This one does require an action slot. Due to a slightly larger size

Greg hesitates, he doesn't seem entirely sure with his answer but he gives it anyway.

"Uh...I think I heard one of the scientists say that they're flesh-eating crickets or something.  All I know is that they were struggling to maintain funding for the project."

Evelyn finds herself in a room more cramped than any of the others, full of large box shaped machines that click and whir and have flashing lights.  There are two areas in the room clear of any clutter and slightly raised above everything else, they're surrounded in glass with metal reinforcement.  In an alcove in the back of the room behind an metal fence there are more box shaped machines, these have wires and coils coming out the top of them and signs reading "Danger: High Voltage".

Deadlift takes the right door and finds himself in a failing hallway, bits of interior wall are falling in and he has to step over the odd piece of rubble, but it's far from impassable.  The room beyond is more of an intersection.  To the right the other end of the hall Deadlift was trying to clear earlier, as noted by the freshly shifted rubble, forward is another collapsed hallway, and left again is some kind of boiler room with more crates littering the floor.  No more mutants anywhere in sight.

Yvette watched Roy create the computer with great interest. To her, it seemed more like a necromancer's work than that of a cleric. Her eyes widened a bit as he handed the item to her. "Oh my. Thank you, Sir Roy." Yvette said as she accepted the item and stared at it for a bit turning it over in her hand. "Well, I guess the main questions would be How do you activate this item and deactivate it and how is one to interact with it? And how is it powering itself?" Yvette asked her eyes showing a bit more than just curiosity.

“You command these primarily through touch. If you go down into the corner at the bottom of display, and tap the circle there, it will bring up a few menus and options. Including a shutdown option. To turn it back on you press gently down on the head for a few seconds. You can also do that to force a shutdown if it stops working, but If you do that while you’re working on a file, you might loose something” 

He runs a finger down the ‘spine’ of his computer and It once more wraps around his arm. Display washing back to it’s resting color.

”I prefer to simply keep it at rest like this. That way if I get a message or something happens it can alert me. Plus, if you turn it off, the wings go back to white, but if it’s at rest, you can set it to display whatever you like. Right now yours is set to the default blank white at rest, and a blue and white color scheme when awake. But you can set it To whatever you like. Because of the shape, the system also comes with several display layouts you can switch between easily depending on what you need to do.”

“Here, put it on the arm of your off hand, the legs will wrap around and grab on. When you want To take it off, just gently tug at one of the legs, it will let go”

He demonstrates, takeing it off and putting it back on again.

”As for power it uses small amounts of food, which it’s breaks down and uses to sustain its life, and power a cluster of bio-electric cells. Those cells produce electricity from the chemical energy they receive from food, which is what allows it to preform it’s various functions.”

”Oh I should mention this. Using these instead of a more mechanical system has its perks, but it does come with a few downsides. In many systems, running out of power, what we call ‘going dead’ or ‘dieing’ is usually quite harmless. The device simply shuts down and will start back up just fine once more power is applied. But these are technically living organisms. Mindless and soulless as they are they still NEED to live. If they run out of power, they will start to starve. When that happens they start to degrade and eat themselves to survive, much like other organisms. If it gets to far you’ll loose data or the system will be trashed entirely. The good news is that feeding them is trivial, and they can tell you how much power they have left.”

He points out the PBA’s equivalent to the battery tab, pressing it brings up how many calories and electricity it still has to run off normally, what it calls the ‘safe range’ along with a prediction of how much longer it will remain within that range. Then he demonstrates how easy it is to feed them, pinching off a few pieces of the biomass pile.

”It’s pretty efficient, so you should be fine.” 

"I see. Thank you once more, Sir Roy for dealing with my curiosity." Yvette said as she attached the PBA to her left arm and turned it off. "When we get some downtime I shall fool around with it and figure it out some more. would If be okay for me to come to you with any questions I may have with it?" Yvette smiled and gave Roy a curtsy. "Now I have used much of your time and you have given me a gift it would wrong for me not to return in kind. Unfortunately, I do not have anything to exchange for such a thing...asides for myself but that is not something I offer. So if there is anything you wish to ask of me or I can do for you please let me know." Yvette said with a slight laugh.