FEF: Verdant Wings (lC)

Raindrop Valkyrie

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1Ofxe8z.png

"Oh-ho-ho, this kid is so dead... or he would be if Sir Roland wasn't watching from afar." The knight thought to himself.  "Fine if that's they way he's gonna play it, two can play that kind of game."

Gv53FA8.png

"Oh, right you two were having a conversation before. I do hope you don't mind if I join in. Something about gardens and old secret passageways? I'm more than a bit doubtful a boy such as yourself would know about any sort of secret passageways."

TpUS7mh.png

"Really? Umm, just don't freak out about them, okay? They don't really like people that much either." Morgan turned and undid the two straps holding the bag firmly closed; out she drew two jars, full of what seemed to be leaf litter and random twigs. The lids were poked full of tiny holes, for a reason that was likely easy to guess. One jar had a small white something tucked away beneath one of the twigs; Morgan reached for the other.

R0mQP52.png

"I'll show you Marcus, first. He's friendlier. I think Hannibal might be asleep still." She slowly opened the jar, and then lowered her hand inside. After a moment. . . nothing happened. "Oh, I know." Morgan reached for a third jar, treated with a bit less care. This one was full of what appeared to be captured crickets, one of which was quickly extracted before the container was quickly resealed and replaced. The cricket quickly found its way into the still-open jar supposedly containing Marcus, which prompted his appearance; a rapid twitch and the cricket was seized in the spider's fangs. A rather large spider, body about an inch long, with seven hairy legs; the last was nowhere to be seen. 

ATRDEAB.png

"Aww, were you hungry, buddy? Look at him, he's so adorable. Come here." As if the arachnid understood, it gnawed on the cricket a bit more before crawling up into Morgan's hand. "This is Marcus."

R0mQP52.png

"I have a couple centipede friends around, but none of them need safekeeping. I only hold onto Marcus and Hannibal because they couldn't survive on their own." Morgan held the spider out toward Blake lightly, nodding at the question. "Sometimes they crawl into my room and stuff, I guess it's because I keep smaller bugs in my room to feed these two. Or they're attracted to the magic." The spider seemed somewhat leery of Blake, taking a few steps backward as Morgan held Marcus up. "He doesn't really like crowds either. . ."

JYHzEb0.png

“Because of the missing leg, I assume. That’s very kind of you.” Blake slowly extends his finger towards Marcus and gives the arachnid’s thorax a stroke.

LQ9aKr7.png

“Most people don’t like spiders very much because they’re ‘scary’. I think they’re useful, though. They kill insects and they mark the passage of time. You always know something is old if it has cobwebs around, after all.”

"I could show you too. But this is an exchange. So unless you have something you can give me, I'm afraid I'll have to decline. And I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss someone just because of how they look." He grinned, smirked almost, and turned back to Lyla. "But trust me. It'll be a lot of fun."

1Ofxe8z.png

Lyle grit his teeth, now this boy has the gall to ask to trade something with him? Worse, it seems like he already has his slimy finger wrapped around Lyla. Fine, if she's so curious about the secrets of this place he might as well come to protect her. Now what could he offer the boy...how about not getting a face full of gauntlet?

6biK63y.png

"Alright then, how about a nice pony ride on the hills or a friendly sparring match? Any of those sound quaint to you? Unless you want to have some of my cooking. I heard I'm a great sandwich maker, or maybe you have something else in mind. I'm open to suggestions." He said with a hint of rage sprinkled in his voice.

"Hmm... No, no thanks. Horses aren't appealing to me, I trust my own two feet much more. And I'm more of a ranged fighter than an up close one. While I've dabbled with lances, they're not exactly my strength. Plus your sister has already generously offered to cook food for me~" At this point Gavan would have had to been dense to miss the implied threats but he was having too much fun to be intimidated by them. Besides, the man surely wouldn't start anything here in public, right?

6biK63y.png

"Either way, lets just call this an 'I owe you' and leave it at that. Because I'll be tagging along either way, whether you like it or not." He speaks bluntly having enough of these shenanigans. Lyle then faces his sister with a big frown,  "B-because if I don't come we can't spend time together Lyla and If that happens I'll be all alone and then I'll be SAAAAAAAD." This was obviously a farce to try to get Lyla on his side. Hopefully she'll throw him a bone.

"It was more punching I was worried about, not biting... Hmmph. I can't think of anything I would want from him, but since you two seem joined at the hip, I guess he can come." This was rapidly getting less interesting and his original plan to escape the party was seeming more and more appealing. Stupid overprotective brothers...

ATRDEAB.png

"I think spiders are adorable. I mean, look at his little fuzz and his legs and stuff! And his cute little eyes. I bet it'd be nice to have eight eyes. You could use two to read and the rest to, I don't know, watch around you or something. Not to mention having an extra set of arms and legs." The spider, for his part, raised up his remaining front leg threateningly when Blake reached over, but seemed to calm down when Blake did no harm. 

R0mQP52.png

"I'm glad you didn't freak out. Most people just try to smash spiders when they see them. Speaking of, I don't think it's a good idea to bring out Hannibal here, he might bite you out of fear. Other people don't seem to realize they are a lot scarier than a little spider or a centipede. . ."

LQ9aKr7.png

“I can see why one might call them cute, yes. It probably helps that Marcus is less tiny and spindly than most spiders.” Blake continues to stroke Marcus, as the spider seems content with the amount of contact being given currently.

MIMNJ9v.png

“Of course I didn’t freak out. You have an interest in bugs and wanted to show me your pets; I would be a fool to expect anything with less than six legs.”

LQ9aKr7.png

“Is that so? No worries. I dare say I could withstand a spider bite, but perhaps it would be best not to have him bite me at all.”

krim.png

"Off-duty?" Sherwyn had never been off-duty at one of these banquets before. In fact, they didn't remember the last time they had been off-duty at all. Coel tried a few times when they were stationed here initially, but gave up after a while. What did people do when they were off-duty? They were kind of hungry...but eating in front of other people didn't sit well with them. Then they noticed the spider. "What is...uh...I'm going to go check that out." they quickly pointed, hoping Reynauld would buy their excuse before walking off towards the man holding it. They didn't mind spiders, but why in the world would someone bring one into a crowded banquet hall?

Gv53FA8.png

"Alright! Now that that's out of the way, shall we get going? I'm just dying to see what you have to show us." He really wasn't. They really shouldn't be snooping around where they don't belong. Secrets are secrets for a reason, plus the dinner is going to start soon. Oh well, he'll just tag along so Gaven doesn't try anything funny on Lyla. Who knows, maybe he'll prove him wrong.

KFFtyPp.png

Coel was pacing about his study waiting for one of the cooking staff to confirm that the food was finally prepared. He didn't want to get things started without tat notice. What sort of host made his guests wait on their food? Not one that he wanted to be. However, it was taking much longer than expected. He had been pacing that past half hour in anticipation. However it was just to much at this point. He strode over to the door right as a knock was heard. He waited for whoever it was to finish before opening it. He saw standing in the hall none other than the head chef herself, Brinda. Must have been quite the occasion for her to wander all the way up here.

The small woman had quite the scowl on her face. She was living up to her reputation it seemed. Her message was as curt as she was. "Food's finished. l'm out of here."

Coel nearly laughed in response... Ol' Brinda surely never changed. He managed to keep calm however. After all, if what folks said was true he wouldn't want to get on a Witch's bad side. "Brinda dear..." he croaked ever so softly. She stopped, and turned to face him, one eyebrow slightly cocked in confusion. "Now that the prep work is done could you send along one young lad of the name Leonard? Some refer to him as Lenny. Use whichever you prefer of course."

"Fine... Simple enough, but l'm getting my beauty rest after this. l've done too much slaving away in your kitchens you old codger."

"Of course dear, but you were the one that wanted the job."

She did nothing but shoot a glare from the other end of the hallway, before she vanished as quickly as she came. What a strange one she was.

Back in the staging area, there was suddenly dead silence as high heels were heard clicking in the hallway. Brinda was back. Over the small gathering of servants and cooks she gazed, her eyes two burning rubies. They instilled fear in anyone they passed over. Worse... she spoke. "ls there someone here that goes by the name Leonard? l have need to speak to you."

The main hall was quite quiet now as time had passed. Roland seemed to have dozed off, but knowing him he wasn't truly asleep, just still as a statue. Despite his size his presence in a room was quite small until he started moving. An interesting feat for one as large as himself. Regardless, the main doors came open as Coel entered. He was by himself, not accompied by any guards.

He had passed Sherwyn on his way in. 

KFFtyPp.png

"Ah, Sherwyn. l'm glad you could make it. Though... armour is quite an odd choice for a dinner party. Hmmm, no matter. Please, walk with me. l am about to greet the other guests." He gestured towards the main hall with his right hand a few times, waiting for Sherwyn to follow him. He smiled all the while.

The spider and jars had vanished at a speed that one wouldn't have thought possible from someone who spend most of their time amongst dusty old tomes instead of doing work, accompanied by a panicked squeak from Morgan. They breathed a slight sigh of relief when Coel appeared and called the guard that had been walking toward them off, though Morgan was still visibly unsettled by the event. That could have been bad, the guard could have kicked Morgan out or killed Marcus, or even worse made them get rid of all of their pets. . .

krim.png

"Of course, my lord."  Sherwyn said, and directed his path with Coel's. The two with the spider couldn't see it beneath their helmet, but they grinned a bit at the girls frantic hiding of it. She thought they didn't notice. How cute. Clearly, it wasn't poisonous judging by the way they held it, though, so they figured they'd let it go for now.

Stoically toughing through the rearrangement of plates and goblets and everything else that a banquet entailed -- including growling at a greener servant eager to help but only succeeding in getting in everyone's way and nearly colliding with him at one point -- Lenny's ears prick at the sound of familiar clipping heels. Head cook's back, looks like. Doesn't matter much to him. He continues doing what he's doing, pausing for a moment to roll back up a sleeve that's fallen down--

tumblr_p1ale26ubQ1vbmrpfo1_75sq.png

Only to hear his name called over the din. There's a brief, suspended pause as everyone waits, and he sets down a plate before turning around with a slight scowl. "What is it? I'm setting up like I was told!"

6biK63y.png

Right on time lord Coel. At least they won't be going off on some wild adventure now. Though the thought of Lyla going on a date with this man did not sit well with him.  "Yea... nice is one way to put it."  

Leonard saw a flash of something sinister in Brinda's eyes, it was there for a mere moment, surely... he imagined it? The worst trait Brinda possessed... was that she was impossible to read. Her expression was always flat and cool and her anger was quiet. lf she was yelling while she was infuriated, that was a good thing as wrong as it may sound. She smiled at him, but it didn't feel warm at all, and it certainly didn't help the atmosphere that was lingering. "Yes, l am quite aware Master Leonard of what you were told to do. l do not need you to remind me of what is occurring within my very own domain." everything was dead quiet. The rest of the staff there was afraid of what would happen.

Brinda just kept smiling, her teeth like daggers. "Lord Coel asked me to fetch you. Come with me~

KFFtyPp.png

Coel nodded at Sherwyn's words as well as adding a reassuring smile. He continued on, the knight behind him. He stopped to greet Roland as he passed. "Good evening Roland. Thank you for your service tonight."

"Ah, no need to thank me Lord Coel, it's my job after all. But l do appreciate it. Oh, hey sport." he directed the last part at Sherwyn, noticing the large figure following Coel. Roland still dwarfed even Sherwyn, but Sherwyn was the only person in a country mile that remotely came close. Coel just nodded and continued on his way.

He finally came to the group gathered. "Ah, l'm glad you could make it friends. lt means a lot to me that you are all here. Thank you for answering my invitation. l apologize if it was a bit sudden." he said with a chuckle and a bit of red-faced embarrassment.